Thai Airways International dumb to paint over logo

Lite Beer

The thing is, this incident wouldn't have attracted as much international coverage as it has, if Thai hadn't painted over the logo, the thing they were trying to do....ie de-indentify the plane has put more of a spot light on this incident than it most likely have got normally so a PR cock up in the first instance , now compounded by a senior person in Thai blaming bad spirits....really going to instill confidence in tourists in choosing That as their preferred air line....

It's seems to me, Thai have made a relevantly simple if unfortunate incident, which could have PR'ed pretty easily and turned it into a circus and drawing attention to themselves and the all important face, which is the thing they set out to avoid...lesson for Thai engade the brain before opening the mouth...

The really sad thing for me is... Thai isa major intrrbational THAI company. If this is the MANAGEMENT they have...god help thailand

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What they gonna paint on the plane next?

"FOR SALE"

In Chinese ?

Nuh. I had a busted bookcase that I put outside my gate for rubbish collection. In the 5 minutes I went inside to get a shelf that went with it, some bugger nicked the bookcase.

Maybe Thai are hoping the same bugger will come along one night and nick the busted plane?

Side note - I left the shelf and secretly watched it for 20 minutes, no action. Went for a 5 minute leak and it was gone. Now I'm thinking it's them <deleted> Thai Airways ghosts! whistling.gif

Am I missing something, is the OP a piece of commissioned editorial for 'Kenyon International Emergency Services'? What a whacky piece of writing. A bit like the untidy painting over of the Thai Logo, maybe it was done by a 'ghost writer'.

Yes it does seem like it. One must go two link clicks aways from this Phuket News article to the original Bangkok Post article to find out Kenyon International Emergency Services were not involved in any way in the "crisis communications plan" of this accident. This paint cover-up that went very sour is proof that THAI have no crisis communications plan.

I could embed a link here to the original article but this post will get deleted. It seems that Thai-Visa may have a deal with The Nation to delete references to its rival newspaper.

All that painting over the logo and blaming spirits has done is turn a spotlight onto Thai International management, and turn an accident that could easily been explained by a report after expert analisis of the aircraft into an international embarrassment that is not so easily covered up with a shoddy paint job or a rediculous explanation.

• Like 1

let me suggest...to do a paint job to cover the logo or anywhere else .use a colour same as the aircraft body colour...then this will serve the purpose of whatever reason they are doing it...

and don't forget the painting on the tail , they better just wrap it in dark plastic so the whole plane is gone

They should employ David Copperfield next time, he will make the whole plane disappear if they want

The Thai airways board have shot themselves in the foot here. They've drawn a lot more attention to the accident than had they just kept quiet. The pressure to protect a reputation in this industry though is enormous, so it's understandable why they did it.

They should have employed the following basic management technique.....when in the shit, look straight ahead and say nothing...

• Like 1

Originally, THAI official Smud Poom-on said that hiding the airline's name and logo was a recommendation from the Star Alliance group known as the ''crisis communication rule'', and was intended to protect the image of both the airline and other members of Star Alliance.

Obviously another typing error, I know for a fact that this guy's name is Smudge Poo on!

• Like 2

Unfortunately, the Logo brouhaha has obscured a far more important and alarming issue coming out of this incident: the shockingly deficient response of Thai staff to the needs of the aircraft's passengers.

According to news reports in the international press, the passengers, including several suffering injuries from the excape slide, were put in buses at the crash scene, bused to the terminal where they waited more than 30 minutes before being allowed to disembark. There were virtually no Thai staff trained in disaster response at the terminal reception area: no water, no medical personnel, no assistance what so ever.

There were reports that those who had followed instructions to leave personal belongings in the aircraft during the evacuation were treated rudely by Immigration staff when they did not have their travel documents.

To me, this shows the major weakness typical to many Thai businesses, no decision making by mid-level managers; always waiting for word from the top, terrified to take any initiative.

To me it shows sheer ignorance and stupidity for making something as unimportant as carrying a passport when you are escaping from a potential disaster to be an issue when it's not. Oh yeah imagine what would have happened if the aircraft had erupted into a fireball and half the passengers were still on board trying to retrieve their passports because Thai immigration requires passengers to always be in possession of their passports and if they had died due to this waste of time! Passports can always be retrieved later on once the calamity has settled and passengers can then be processed afterwards.

I remember an incident back on July 7, 2008 I think it was, when my Lufthansa flight from Bangkok to Ho Chi Minh was first delayed, then canceled due to a technical fault, something which took about 3-4 hours (luckily I had a business class seat so I was able to wait in the lounge). The mostly Vietnamese (and other foreign passengers) were up in arms about their treatment when Thai immigration took a full two hours to "cancel" our outgoing Thai immigration stamps. Even when I asked a simple question about how long it would take before being processed and taken to our hotel (I asked politely and calmly in fluent Thai) I was rebuffed by angry officials and employees who told me "ro kohn!" (i.e. wait!) in a very rude manner. Most of their effort was of course taken up by trying to control angry Vietnamese and farang, who are generally more prone to showing their emotions than Thais, but this doesn't excuse the extremely poor management of this situation. Fortunately, we were all put up in the comfortable Suvarnabhumi Airport hotel with a great buffet dinner (and prior to that) a 300 Baht airport food voucher and free drinks and sandwiches before that.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

Originally, THAI official Smud Poom-on said that hiding the airline's name and logo was a recommendation from the Star Alliance group known as the ''crisis communication rule'', and was intended to protect the image of both the airline and other members of Star Alliance

And yet the Star Alliance logo remains.

The thing is, this incident wouldn't have attracted as much international coverage as it has, if Thai hadn't painted over the logo, the thing they were trying to do....ie de-indentify the plane has put more of a spot light on this incident than it most likely have got normally so a PR cock up in the first instance , now compounded by a senior person in Thai blaming bad spirits....really going to instill confidence in tourists in choosing That as their preferred air line....

It's seems to me, Thai have made a relevantly simple if unfortunate incident, which could have PR'ed pretty easily and turned it into a circus and drawing attention to themselves and the all important face, which is the thing they set out to avoid...lesson for Thai engade the brain before opening the mouth...

After all, Thailand is known as the hub of stupid decisions.