UK debit or credit card sent to Thailand

I have a UK credit card and bank debit card. I get them sent to me here in Thailand via my late brothers wife. I cannot get my cards sent to my address in Thailand for security reasons. Is there any way I can get my cards sent to Thailand without having a UK address?

Just get your late brothers wife to scan them front and back then email you a copy.

Then you can at least use them for online transactions.

You can also use them online to transfer money to a Thailand bank account using an intermediary like HiFx.

Posting them here is a bit risky unless you use DHL or FedEX, which is expensive.

Best not to tell your bank you no longer live in the UK, some will promptly close your bank account.

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 2

Lloyds bank send cards to Thailand if you have your address in Thailand registered with them. It's a total ripoff mind you, they charge 30 quid to send DHL who because they don't deliver in rural areas stick it in the post from Bangkok making the whole exercise pointless! They always send PIN numbers by separate mail.

Lloyds bank send cards to Thailand if you have your address in Thailand registered with them. It's a total ripoff mind you, they charge 30 quid to send DHL who because they don't deliver in rural areas stick it in the post from Bangkok making the whole exercise pointless! They always send PIN numbers by separate mail.

As said above, u need to keep a UK address to keep the account, but sending a card to Thailand securely as Lloyds do, or any other way, is a total waste of money as, after all, the cards r worthless in themselves. If they go astray, u just cancel them and get replacements issued. It is highly unlikely a card could be used illegally without the PIN, and if it was, UK banks would make good the loss. Just keep your eye on your card account balance online while it is being sent. I have sent or had sent to me about 4 cards to 'Darkest Esaan' in the ordinary post with all being delivered. I sellotape & sandwich the credit or debit card in a greetings card cut to fit an ordinary or airmail envelope.

NatWest and various other Credit Card providers refused to issue new cards to me with a Thai Address but did not cancel the accounts. LTSB had no problem sending me a Debit Card to Samui. Cannot now remember how they sent it or what they charged as it was quite a while ago.

Just get your late brothers wife to scan them front and back then email you a copy.

Then you can at least use them for online transactions.

You can also use them online to transfer money to a Thailand bank account using an intermediary like HiFx.

Posting them here is a bit risky unless you use DHL or FedEX, which is expensive.

Best not to tell your bank you no longer live in the UK, some will promptly close your bank account.

Thanks Fifty Two, I get my cards sent to me by SIL, I need to use the debit card for the ATM. What I am really looking for is a plan B, as my SIL is getting old now.

You are right Fibreman, it is a rip off.

As said above, u need to keep a UK address to keep the account, but sending a card to Thailand securely as Lloyds do, or any other way, is a total waste of money as, after all, the cards r worthless in themselves. If they go astray, u just cancel them and get replacements issued. It is highly unlikely a card could be used illegally without the PIN, and if it was, UK banks would make good the loss. Just keep your eye on your card account balance online while it is being sent. I have sent or had sent to me about 4 cards to 'Darkest Esaan' in the ordinary post with all being delivered. I sellotape & sandwich the credit or debit card in a greetings card cut to fit an ordinary or airmail envelope.

You are dead right Sunset, I was just wondering if there was some service in the UK that I could give their address to and they would forward the cards on to me. Failing that, the next time I go to the UK, I will have to look up my old friends and see what happens. At the moment my SIL still sends them to me.

It's very strange.

Never had a problem with regular mail delivery over the years but suddenly Barclays Jersey refuse to mail new debit cards to Thailand and won't even mail to my UK address knowing that they will be forwarded to BKK.

Barclays UK mainland just send the by courier, but haven't checked what the charge is.