Help! looking for a place to live in Thailand - Pattaya sucks for a couple

Annonymous

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 000 bath is 1000 USD, for that price I could get a small house back home (Europe) outside of city, so paying this price in Thailand seems overpriced to me... but I believe the size of yours justifies it! I just don't need that big...

When you think about it, 1000 USD/month that's 12 000 USD/year and in only 8 years of renting you could have been the owner of that house! (3 millions bath?)

I agree. What brings it home, I think, is the way Malaysia wants you to bring the equiv. of US$3,300 per month for a retirement visa. If I had that kind of budget I would have a lot of other options, not all of which would be in developing countries.

I think a decision you need to make is how important is it for you to be near to an expat scene (Pattaya, Bkk, Phuket, etc) or do you want more of an away-from-it-all setting. The more away you go the cheaper it gets. Usually.

Maybe try Bangsaray some 25km south of Pattaya, they are building many condos there now I believe, quite nice on the non beach side.

Why living in a independent house? I live in a moo baan (village) and prefer the extra security and if you live in a nice one, life is good.

In an independent house you are on your own in case of intruders and the chances of brake in way higher, could be the neighbors son when you go shopping, read about that before here.

What I mean by "independent house" is that I don't want a townhouse which is like a condo: you can hear all and everything about the neighbor's life, plus the garden is usually small no trees no space for privacy relaxing etc.

I hate townhouses.

I definitely agree that I need to find a closed village with security guards, there are plenty, I just didn't find the right one with the right house yet... sad.png

nice nature view,

lots of greenery,

no cars,

no city,

no buildings,

no no no no no,there is no such place here in thailand.

Are you being serious or sarcastic? Can't be sure as I don't know Thailand very well outside Pattaya

Just bear in mind wherever you move to that at some point a Thai will come along and totally f** it up with loud music rubbish or construction/ shop.

They haven"t a clue about peace serenity/beauty.

Unfortunate true.

sure i am serious,30yrs in and out of north, south, west and now living in the east,patts,phuket and samui were lovely places in the 80's just go and visit them now.as for being sarcastic what did you expect.

op wants first world living at third world prices. good luck! my guess is you will end up staying in pattaya.

sad.png

I have a house in Pattaya in a quiet moo baan and life is not bad here. We got a very good school for our boy at a good price.

The house was not really bought as an investment but more as a nice place for us to live in and since I am app 17 years senior to my wife, she can good a good chunk of money out of it when I die and provide for herself and our boy.

I don't go out much for the night life anymore but still likes all the shopping possibilities it gives you and many nice places to dine out as well.

I know I would be bored it I lived somewhere up in the mountains but maybe when I retire in app 14 years time, who knows, never say never.

op wants first world living at third world prices. good luck! my guess is you will end up staying in pattaya.

sad.png

I have a house in Pattaya in a quiet moo baan and life is not bad here.

May I ask where? do you know any renting possibilities in your moo baan? Reply in private if you prefer ;)

30 000 bath is 1000 USD, for that price I could get a small house back home (Europe) outside of city, so paying this price in Thailand seems overpriced to me...

Too right. Asking prices here are just plain daft.

But why not try offering 15KB for the 30KB place you saw? You may be pleasantly surprised. I only pay half the asking price for my condo, and that makes it about what it is really worth.

sad.png

I have a house in Pattaya in a quiet moo baan and life is not bad here.

May I ask where? do you know any renting possibilities in your moo baan? Reply in private if you prefer wink.png

Very close to Bangkok/Pattaya hospital so on the inner side of Sukhumvit road.

Yes a few houses for rent but not cheap: from about 30k for a 1 story house to a whopping 100k baht for a mansion with own pool.

Was at the local shopping Mall last week and ducked outside for a smoke. A farang lady (and you don't get to see many in this place) came out and asked in a british accent if it was OK to smoke here. Sure, no problem. She had just returned from an extended visit back to the old dart. She may even be reading this. Her husband has a job in the outer NE bangkok suburbs, and they live, in all places, Min Buri. She was a very nice lady and we finished up smoking about 3 cigarettes each as we talked.

She loves the place and couldn't wait to get back. She wants her husband to extend his employment so they can stay here. She was extremely happy with her lot. Min Buri is certainly no seaside resort!

Rent a car for a bit. Start at Bang Saray. Check out Ban Chang. South of Rayong are quite a few nice places also, like Mae Phim. But, very quiet during low season.

The Baan Balina villages in NaJomtien and Huay Yai might be of interest also, and are near Pattaya.

Sent from my traveling tab.

Cassaluna by the sea In Siracha look up there site there are housers there that you could get for 20k and it is in a private compound on the beach front . I will be building just across the road next year the land is attached to the Crystal Bay Golf. Only 12 mins drive to either Central or robinsons take your pick.

Imsuwan condo on the door step of Doing Suthep. 6500 baht and simply MASSIVE with the best views of Chiang Mai around.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6A using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

this?

chiang-mai-sang-serene-house-apartment-1

chiang-mai-sang-serene-house-apartment-1

not so cheap actually: http://www.sangserene-house.com/en/room-rates (18k for the 70 sqm apartment with 8 BATH PER ELETRIC UNIT <deleted>!!!!)

but it does look amazing indeed!

What about % of farang occupants there? Not being racist or anything but I need to keep a social life and don't speak thai good enough to have thai friends with whom I can have long and deep conversations!

awesome, yes this is where i would go if i were thevOP. what r u waiting for?

Wow that chang mai condo looked like a great deal. I'd pounce on it b4 it's gone.

See my message that followed those pics, I mistaken and it's not the condo's living room but the lobby downstairs! Condo is much much smaller.

I kind of get the same deal here in Pattaya for 2 or 3000 bath more, for example in Jomtien there are nice once like "Park Lane" or "Paradise Park" where you can get a 72 sqm apartment for 20 000 baht (and with 4 bahts per electric unit), or a 36 sqm condo for 10 to 12 000 bath.

So it's not exceptional and not especially cheap considering it's outside of the city.

Dang tablet. I really don't like posting with it. Sorry, was trying to reply regarding Casa Luna.

Sent from my traveling tab.

Thanks. It's in Chon-Buri? I've been searching for it in Google and have no idea where it is, any particular indication so I can find related houses for rent or simply go look myself with the motorbike?

Thanks a lot!

seems the huge problem is wishing to be not far from the sea.... as most places in the world, its the desirable spot and thus costs sky rocket.

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/real-estate/houses-to-rent/house-for-rent-in-ubon-ratchathani-241417.html - not near the sea at all, but not that far from the mekong river, and covers most everything else. i was surprised at how good the internet quality in ubon was in the centre of town also (internet cafe )

Thanks guys it looks AMAZING from the pictures I've found... but... starting price 50 000 baht/month !!!!!!! smiley_cry.gifsmiley_cry.gif

smiley_cry.gif

Pics found here: http://www.prakard.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=291869

If it would be half of this or less like 20 000 bath then I'd pay for it!

Any other suggestion in my budget?

As mentioned beach front land cost big $ & especially houses where the developer only can build so many houses on his plot of land and not a condo where many more units can earn them big money.

No flaming intended, but it's like you want a Ferrari but only can afford a Toyota (like most other people) so you have to be realistic.

Try checking out moo baans on the dark side, I sure you can rent a house there for 15-20k baht per month.

Edited by guzzi850m2

Thanks for the advice yes I know about the beach and I'm willing to drop it in exchange to good green mountain view (I was thinking of Chang Mai like suggested in the previous page).

I have already visited a few houses and I must say that I'm really disappointed by the design/conception. I know I'm demanding a lot but it's a deal breaker for me if the house makes me feel uncomfortable. Here are the key issues that I have seen reoccurring again and again:

1. No air-con in the living-room. I mean, the MAIN room of the house where you're likely to spend most of the time has NO air-con??
  2. Color Pattern Fail. Either too many colors, or bad choices of color (dark floor, strong red, etc.)
  3. Barred windows making you feel like you're in jail
  4. Unfinished houses (e.g. no mosquito net on the windows)
  5. Low light (small windows, especially in the bathroom, and bad electric lighting installation) . I know it's to keep the house cold but when you come from a condo with a window as big as the entire wall, you really feel like the window is too small
  6. ... and probably many more details that can be compared to modern condo interior design

I know what you're going to suggest: "stay in a condo!"

yeah sure, but I'd still love to find a nicely designed medium house that I can afford, so I can have more space and a garden with trees... that's what matters the most I think! and quiet... currently I can hear the neighbor's life in THX Surround Sound hahaha and the traffic outside in Dolby Digital with special 3D effects and ExtraBass! hahahaha funny and sad, I can't wait to move...

Edited by Annonymous

Thanks for the advice yes I know about the beach and I'm willing to drop it in exchange to good green mountain view (I was thinking of Chang Mai like suggested in the previous page).

I have already visited a few houses and I must say that I'm really disappointed by the design/conception. I know I'm demanding a lot but it's a deal breaker for me if the house makes me feel uncomfortable. Here are the key issues that I have seen reoccurring again and again:

1. No air-con in the living-room. I mean, the MAIN room of the house where you're likely to spend most of the time has NO air-con??
  2. Color Pattern Fail. Either too many colors, or bad choices of color (dark floor, strong red, etc.)
  5. Low light (small windows, especially in the bathroom, and bad electric lighting installation) . I know it's to keep the house cold but when you come from a condo with a window as big as the entire wall, you really feel like the window is too small
  6. ... and probably many more details that can be compared to modern condo interior design

yeah sure, but I'd still love to find a nicely designed medium house that I can afford, so I can have more space and a garden with trees... that's what matters the most I think! and quiet... currently I can hear the neighbor's life in THX Surround Sound hahaha and the traffic outside in Dolby Digital with special 3D effects and ExtraBass! hahahaha funny and sad, I can't wait to move...

Such a small budget, so many demands...

Such a small budget, so many demands...

I know.