Train derails just 300 meters from Bangkok's Hua Lamphong main terminal

webfact

I travel on these trains weekly and have done so for many years, this new spate of derailing stinks of some corrupt official not getting his/her own way, and are trying to speed things up by making things 100 times worse than they really already are.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the plan includes spending the central government allocation for SRT on track and rolling stock maintenance and not VIP Club cards for Poseidon and houses for mia nois then we will be getting somewhere - but this being Thailand I suspect same,same. At least the trains go so slowly that none is ever really hurt and the trains are dirt cheap to ride on.

Wow, the number of train accidents this year in Thailand is astonishing.

But the government is still gun-ho on high-speed bullet trains. If this (or future administrations) could at least bring the railway system to 20th. century standards, that would be a great improvement. Let's see what the spirits think of this idea.

Actually, that would be 19th century standards... even India had a better maintained rail system 170 years ago.

'He then told State Railway of Thailand governor Praphat Chongsa-nguan to inspect all the rail tracks in the Bangkok area for damage and report the findings within this week.' So I guess they don't have a routine protocol to inspect and prevent these things from happening. They just wait for an accident to happen and THEN check.

You got it. TIT! If it ain't broke don't fix it. And after it's broke fix it and blame the ghosts and have a ceremony.

Just put up a white flag, and surrender. Shut down the entire national system. Admit that you cannot maintain a national rail line with a $100,000 per year maintenance budget. Just give up the ghost, before many more die or are injured. Thailand has been coasting along for years spending less than Angola spends on their railway maintenance, and things are coming to roost. Has anyone looked at the condition of the railroad ties lately? Just shut the whole thing down. Either that, or convince Yingbat to spend her annual wardrobe budget on the railway.

• Like 1

As anyone who has been here for a while will know, maintenance is not to be found in the Thai mind set. I just looked it up in my small dictionary, but I doubt if it is most of their working vocabulary. "the cause was suspected to be the age of the rail track and the damaged railway wooden sleepers." Yes, and why? No maintenance.

Kinda sad the current state of the SRT. When I first came to Thailand 15 years ago, the first class sleepers were a fun way to travel. Me and my friends took many diving trips to Samui and Tao via the nite train out of bangkok to chomphon. Also trips to krabi via Surat thani and Chiang mai.

I wouldn't take it myself or recommend it to friends anymore.

The spirits have been very naughty & busy this year.......higher budget should be given to the transport ministry to keep the spirits flowing happy w00t.gif They need it for the railroad & airport spirit whistling.gif

I propose a mandatory spirit tax to be leveled on all farangs arriving in the kingdom. Surely if we weren't here this wouldn't be happening.

For God's sake! Can someone please invade and colonise Thailand and teach them how to do EVERYTHING correctly?

New Zealand could handle it.

Actually, if the military is anything like the railways, education system and just about everything else ... I don't think Thailand could fight off an aging Steven Segull and a band of boyscouts.

For God's sake! Can someone please invade and colonise Thailand and teach them how to do EVERYTHING correctly?

New Zealand could handle it.

Actually, if the military is anything like the railways, education system and just about everything else ... I don't think Thailand could fight off an aging Steven Segull and a band of boyscouts.

New Zealand New Zealand...maybe, but Montenegro much betterbiggrin.png