Phuket: Bt1.4 million raised for Canadian bike crash victim

webfact

B1.4 million raised for Phuket bike crash victim
Claire Connell

1379478499_1.jpg
Mark with his wife on their wedding day in 2013.

PHUKET: Mark Schofield, the Canadian teacher who was seriously injured in a motorbike smash on September 7, is out of intensive care at Vachira Phuket Hospital and is showing positive signs of recovery, family say.

Mr Schofield, who arrived in August to teach at Kajonkiet, was left seriously injured after a motorbike crash earlier this month.

The 34-year-old was left in a coma with a broken jaw, two broken arms, broken collarbone and a shattered eye socket, plus brain trauma and other injuries. Doctors removed a part of his skull to relieve pressure from brain swelling.

Mr Schofield’s wife Rachel has now arrived in Phuket along with Mr Schofield’s parents. His insurance isn’t covering his medical bills, so family established a fundraising drive. By this morning (September 18), more than C$48,000, around B1.4million, has been donated.

Family said on Tuesday (September 17) said, “The prospect of full cognitive recovery seems very promising. Mark is meeting the initial landmarks.

There are still a number of concerns, but the general feeling about Mark’s recovery is very positive. Right now the prospect of pneumonia is most pressing. He has a lot of congestion in his chest, so they are considering a temporary tracheotomy to reduce chance of infection through the breathing tube.

“The ward he was transferred into from ICU is not ideal, but they are keeping a close eye on him. It may not be too long before he can be transferred to a private hospital. There are conflicting recommendations as to when Mark will be stable enough to fly home (4-8 weeks).

“There is no advantage of bringing him home right away due to potential risks involved during the flight itself, but we have had good support from our government to help get everything in place for when Mark is able to travel.”

Late last week Mr Schofield’s brother Scott said in a statement, “Mark was under the impression that he had medical coverage from his employers at the international school [where he taught].

“We do not know the details, other than the school sent an email to my parents the day after the accident making it clear that they would not be able to cover costs related to the accident.

“Mark was not given notice about a trial period without coverage, otherwise we would have acquired private insurance from home over the interim.”

A spokesperson at Kajonkiet told The Phuket News that the school “provides all staff with both, accident and health insurance policies, neither of which have any ‘trial period’ without coverage”.

“Unfortunately, the insurance companies will not assist to cover Mark’s medical bills due to information contained within the medical reports submitted to them by staff at Vachira Hospital, which is most unfortunate.

“We are currently organising a fund raiser to assist with the medical expenses,” the spokesperson said.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/b1-4-million-raised-for-phuket-bike-crash-victim-41958.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-09-18

The insurance issue is puzzling. Thankfully a large number of donators have stepped up to the plate.

According to the other thread there was alcohol found in his blood. And my private insurance has an exclusion for accidents caused by being intoxicated, the maximum allowable amount is mentioned in the policy.

He may have a case against the insurance company if he was driving intoxicated but the accident was not caused by that, depending on the policy conditions of course. But if possible that will be very, very difficult anywhere in the world, and with the Thai legal system almost impossible.

And if I understand the cause of the accident correctly he will not have a case at all.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

Glad the young man is recovering!thumbsup.gif

BUT after being in Thailand less than a month, he drove a big bike drunk, had an accident, Thai doctors saved his life and now his family is complaining about the standard of the ward he has been transferred tow00t.gif

Maybe time to go home to Kansas and stay there!!

I think the hospital he is staying in is good, but I understand they may find it a bit overwhelming.

Good on the thais in this one for putting their hands into their pockets and helping this farang out. I guess they are not all bad.

My concern with this going public tho is that the hospital may now up the bill.

Where did you read the Thais are helping him financially, and on what basis do you suspect the hospital may up their bills?

Insurance companies have a point and need to protect themselves. But good to see the rest of the world can step up for person. If he was phished, no thought process at the time would have ended with what happened to him. He should also be happy to be alive.

Good on the thais in this one for putting their hands into their pockets and helping this farang out. I guess they are not all bad.

Where did you read the Thais are helping him financially, and on what basis do you suspect the hospital may up their bills?

And where did you hear all Thai's are bad?

The insurance issue is puzzling. Thankfully a large number of donators have stepped up to the plate.

The insurance issue is not puzzling to me.

The medical insurance I have from the international school I work at in Vietnam does not cover motorbike accidents. If you require additional cover you have to pay for it yourself. Even if you pay the extra yourself you must have a Vietnamese motorbike driving licence for the insurance to be valid for motorbike accidents.

I know that most schools here is Vietnam only supply the lowest level of insurance coverage to their teachers. I'm fairly sure it will be the same in Thailand.

And where did you read that someone said Thai's were bad?

According to the other thread there was alcohol found in his blood. And my private insurance has an exclusion for accidents caused by being intoxicated, the maximum allowable amount is mentioned in the policy.

He may have a case against the insurance company if he was driving intoxicated but the accident was not caused by that, depending on the policy conditions of course. But if possible that will be very, very difficult anywhere in the world, and with the Thai legal system almost impossible.

And if I understand the cause of the accident correctly he will not have a case at all.

Wouldn't it be financially beneficial for the hospital to disregard this guy's alcohol consumption, so his insurance remains intact, and then overcharge for his medical treatment, as they tend to do when they know an injured party has insurance?

He, and his family, wouldn't complain either, as they are not out of pocket, or having to seek donations.

If the hospitals were to say every motorbike accident victim was under the influence of alcohol, which most of them are, not many hospital bills would get paid here.

Edited by NamKangMan

In this forum, regardless of the subject, eventually somebody needs to state all thai's are thieves and/or heartbreakers!

Wouldn't it be financially beneficial for the hospital to disregard this guy's alcohol consumption, so his insurance remains intact, and then overcharge for his medical treatment, as they tend to do when they know an injured party has insurance?

He, and his family, wouldn't complain either, as they are not out of pocket, or having to seek donations.

If the hospitals were to say every motorbike accident victim was under the influence of alcohol, which most of them are, not many hospital bills would get paid here.

Some people,even in thailand, play thinks by the book! Not everyone is willing to commit fraud for financial benefits.

Where I come from,if you're drunk it 's your fault,no excuses.You've to blame!

• Like 2

Some people,even in thailand, play thinks by the book! Not everyone is willing to commit fraud for financial benefits.

I don't condone dishonesty, but we are in one of the most corrupt countries in the world, who has recently stated they are looking at ways to force all foreigners to have medical insurance whilst here, because their hospitals are treating foreigners who can't pay their medical bills.

I can only see more medicals not being paid, or more requests for donations, if they are going to note the victim of motor vehicle accidents were intoxicated, especially since there is no proper public transport here, that means a high percentage of driver/riders are intoxicated, especially after 10pm at night.

that means a high percentage of driver/riders are intoxicated, especially after 10pm at night.

Is it Thai law to drink and drive? No. You make your own choice whether to drink and drive. You can have a great night out and not consume any alcohol. I have zero sympathy for anyone who drinks and drives and then suffers the consequences, whether it be accident, death or being thrown in jail.

It's your choice whether you drink and drive, no-one else's

Simon

• Like 1

If he had a helmet on not a very good one best wishes to the young man on his recovery. Hopefully he will wear a better helmet next time and please no drink riding. I ride a bike good full face helmet, no riding at night and no alcohol before riding, if I can do it anyone can

• Like 1

I don't condone dishonesty, but we are in one of the most corrupt countries in the world, who has recently stated they are looking at ways to force all foreigners to have medical insurance whilst here, because their hospitals are treating foreigners who can't pay their medical bills.

I can only see more medicals not being paid, or more requests for donations, if they are going to note the victim of motor vehicle accidents were intoxicated, especially since there is no proper public transport here, that means a high percentage of driver/riders are intoxicated, especially after 10pm at night.

I don't think it is fair to demand local medical insurance.Instead they should demand proof of insurance when entering kingdom.

I think Thailand has excellent public transportation system.All sorts of services everywhere from motorbikes to buses.Ofcourse night times can be a challenge.

Personally I choose not to risk lives driving drunk.Being on top piece of the "pyramid" here,allowes me to travel "safely" even intoxicated. Loads of people still work for 200 a day.So hiring a driver is easy and cheap.

My apologies, I just assumed that him being in Thailand, married to a Thai who helped raise funds, that Thais would have been donating. Silly of me for thinking such a thing and attempting to show Thais in a positive light. My apologies to all those that I offended.

And where did you read that someone said Thai's were bad?

Very strange answer, nothing to do with anything that has been said.

My apologies, I just assumed that him being in Thailand, married to a Thai who helped raise funds, that Thais would have been donating. Silly of me for thinking such a thing and attempting to show Thais in a positive light. My apologies to all those that I offended.

This has nothing at all to do with Thais being helpful or not, or casting suspicions on a hospital for upping their bills (talking about putting Thais in a positive light).

This is about a guy who apparently made some mistakes, and now needs a helping hand.

I don't think it is fair to demand local medical insurance.Instead they should demand proof of insurance when entering kingdom.

I think Thailand has excellent public transportation system.All sorts of services everywhere from motorbikes to buses.Ofcourse night times can be a challenge.

Personally I choose not to risk lives driving drunk.Being on top piece of the "pyramid" here,allowes me to travel "safely" even intoxicated. Loads of people still work for 200 a day.So hiring a driver is easy and cheap.

There is no good transportation system in Phuket - iris run by the mafia and is horribly expensive. It is a disgrace to Thailand and maybe that is why finally the DSI have been dispatched to clean it up a bit after the Embassies finally got together to put a little pressure on. Well done the Chinese for having the balls for rocking the boat because the British Embassy is a joke so far as citizen protection is concerned.

Edited by timewilltell