How long did it take you to become expert about Thailand.

somchaiyatt

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ironically it is the Western Influences and Western Consumerism that are for the most part to blame.

I wish you would stop posting stuff like that, I just spat coffee all over my keyboard.

Actually I'll answer your post in a less flippant manner. An event that sticks out in my mind.

Roundabout 10 years ago when I returned to live here on a more permanent basis I initially stayed at my Mother In Laws place. During that time my Sister In Law, Husband and kids came over from the states for a holiday. It had been a few years since she had been here.

One afternoon she came back from the local shopping mall, quite worked up. Indeed very agitated she was.

She went on to tell me what she had just witnessed. Throngs of ordinary Thai people descending upon the department stores, big TVs, home theatre systems spewing out of their shopping trolleys. Counters set up, signing people up for instant credit and or credit cards. She went right off. 'What are they doing?' They can't afford all this stuff! How can they ever pay it back?

'What is happening to my country?', she said.

over to you.

You sound a little upset, somchaiyatt.

Perhaps France does not agree with him (as that seems to be where he's posting from ) xwink.png.pagespeed.ic.Tg-YB9NPfX.webp

But I can see why a Thai or person fond of Thailand might get a bad impression of TV members from many of the posts on TV especially in General and some of the local forums.

If they look closer they will see that it is a vocal minority who are negative and that the frequency with which they post makes them seem like they are more n number than is really the case. And if they take the time to look at some of the more specialized forums they'll find a much more pleasant atmosphere.

Is this not an abuse of your position as a moderator ? You abused this position by locating the posters I.P address in order to score points against him. In doing so are you not being guilty of being the type of poster that you portrayed in your previous posting ?

• Like 1

Perhaps France does not agree with him (as that seems to be where he's posting from ) xwink.png.pagespeed.ic.Tg-YB9NPfX.webp

But I can see why a Thai or person fond of Thailand might get a bad impression of TV members from many of the posts on TV especially in General and some of the local forums.

If they look closer they will see that it is a vocal minority who are negative and that the frequency with which they post makes them seem like they are more n number than is really the case. And if they take the time to look at some of the more specialized forums they'll find a much more pleasant atmosphere.

Is this not an abuse of your position as a moderator ? You abused this position by locating the posters I.P address in order to score points against him. In doing so are you not being guilty of being the type of poster that you portrayed in your previous posting ?

Interesting point..... Perhaps Sheryl could do us all a public service by saying where each poster is posting from. That way the guys who pretend to post from Thailand could be outed... :-) Also good to know

who is posting from France, so scorn can be heaped upon them.....

Edited by EyesWideOpen

Facts are one thing -- clairvoyance is another.

...And you know which is which when it comes to the majority of the posters here?

Yes.

Well good for you... Now what I'm I thinking? Wait, wait... I'll give you a hint. It kinda rhymes with culprit...

Edited by maxme

Can't understand wanting to live in a place where you can't bring yourself to associate with most of the population.

Many people say that. But I guess they're just closed minded. :)

I personally think it's a great country - endlessly entertaining and funny, great for traveling and touring, great for motorbiking, never boring, great for renting, great for so many things really. :) Associating with people who are mainly educated to the level of a 12 year old child back home, that have also been greatly conditioned, have serious emotional and ego issues, nah, I prefer observing than interacting in that regard. :)

Associating with people who are mainly educated to the level of a 12 year old child back home, that have also been greatly conditioned, have serious emotional and ego issues, nah, I prefer observing than interacting in that regard.

Stop hanging around with the lower rungs of society and this might be an issue?

I don't personally know anyone with the education level of a 12 year old. Most Thai's I know are fairly intelligent with decent jobs that require them to use their brains.

We can talk about grown up stuff and everything.

^^ Oh yes, I'm sure the feeling is likely mutual.

I'm totally cool with it. smile.png

Great way to live, really. Knowing yourself, knowing the society in which you live, and being content with it. I hope ye guys can be as happy as me someday. smile.png

Edited by pilm

Facts are one thing -- clairvoyance is another.

...And you know which is which when it comes to the majority of the posters here?

Yes.

Well good for you... Now what I'm I thinking? Wait, wait... I'll give you a hint. It kinda rhymes with culprit...

He asked about the majority -- not ALL -- and the answer is still YES.

There was an old 1930's jazz number in US "When A Congressman Meets a Senator Down South." On Thaivisa, they are not a congressman, they are not a senator, they have never met a congressman nor a senator, and they have never been down south, but they still respond, anyway.

Interesting point..... Perhaps Sheryl could do us all a public service by saying where each poster is posting from. That way the guys who pretend to post from Thailand could be outed... :-) Also good to know

who is posting from France, so scorn can be heaped upon them.....

Speaking of France and cheese experts on Thai Visa. I would like to offer the following quote as if the poster was an expert. (So you get an idea of what I mean) If Thailand can copy one and master it well then good - until then I'll stick to my imported proper cheese.

I woud submit the following countries with at least two, 3 star Michelin restaurants.

1 Belgium

2 Hong Kong and Macau

3 France

4 Germany

5 Italy

6 Japan

7 Monaco

8 Netherlands

9 Spain

10 Switzerland

I don't think people from other countries should be trusted to comment on food at least not at an expert level. So, I am saying if one wants to know about proper som tom or cheese one needs to ask a person from Belgium or Japan, if you get my meaning. Does a French person know more about rice than a person from Thailand or mainland China? Well yes that is the implication. I mean one needs a palate before one can judge food. If a country can't support at least two 3 star Michelin how would you go about finding people to be food experts?

Do you get the point?

Speaking of France and cheese experts on Thai Visa. I would like to offer the following quote as if the poster was an expert. (So you get an idea of what I mean) If Thailand can copy one and master it well then good - until then I'll stick to my imported proper cheese.

<snip>

Do you get the point?

You're not really enjoying Thailand ... are you?

Edited by David48

<snip>

Do you get the point?

You're not really enjoying Thailand ... are you?

That is the second comment about my mood. Odd. Have I said anything negative about Thailand?