How can I geta Thai credit card ?

I got an Amex some years ago now and did not have a work permit.

Normally all application forms ask for a work permit but when I applied it was not on the form......I also sent reams of bank statements showing a good income and savings in Thailand and offshore.

Did not hear anything for about 4 months and then the Amex card arrived in the post..

Tried again recently for a Visa card and included annual statements of my Amex but got knocked back - work permit required!!

US Visa and Amex cards certainly work here and I would think Mastercard does as well (I don't have a mastercard so can't say for certain) though some businesses charge an additional fee for credit cards, particularly Amex. I am not sure that the benefits of having a Thai credit card are the same as a foreign one. I am under the impression, perhaps incorrectly, that native cards do not offer the protections of a US card. Personally, I don't use debit cards for anything other than ATM withdrawals as any fraud/thft against a debit card is far more inconvenient than if the same occurred with a credit card.

Some replies seem to suggest that having a credit card is unnecessary or undesirable. I disagree entirely. The degree of purchase protection offered and savings on certain purchases not to mention things like airmiles are great reasons to have a credit card, just perhaps not a Thai one.

I have an account with Bangkok Bank and have few complains. I put $5,000.00 USD on deposit and have a 150,000.00THB Credit Card. They pay interest on the amount deposited and will charge interest if not paid in full each month. You can get this type Visa Credit Card for up to 500,000.00 THB depending on the amount you have on hold.

To anyone who truly knows what they're talking about: What are the advantages and disadvantages of a Thai credit card vs. a Thai debit card?

So far I'm happy just using my BKK Bank debit card by keeping ample money in my ATM account and transferring via i-banking to that account from my non-ATM account as needed. But maybe I'm missing out on something by not having a Thai credit card. If so, please enlighten me. Thanks.

Edited by HerbalEd

I would get one, anyway possible or use the ones from outside Thailand. If you make big ticket purchases for home or office, you have a small measure of protection. If you make a purchase in cash and the item goes tits up, you are out the money and all the rest of it. Better a secured account than none at all. The money can be banked against visa requirements also......400k or 800k....smile.png

To the OP ... or anyone else here: Besides being able to spend money you don't have, what is the advantages (if any) of a credit card over a debit card? What is the downside of credit card ... and debit card?

I was unable to hire a car with a debit card, despite it being booked and having sufficient funds to put down the full deposit.

A lot of airlines will only accept credit cards.

You do get some quite good points offers, cash back etc

Last one is arguably spending money you don't have, but my Standard Chartered card lets me pay for bigger purchases over 6 months (sometimes 10) interest free, which is great.

US Visa and Amex cards certainly work here and I would think Mastercard does as well (I don't have a mastercard so can't say for certain) though some businesses charge an additional fee for credit cards, particularly Amex. I am not sure that the benefits of having a Thai credit card are the same as a foreign one. I am under the impression, perhaps incorrectly, that native cards do not offer the protections of a US card. Personally, I don't use debit cards for anything other than ATM withdrawals as any fraud/thft against a debit card is far more inconvenient than if the same occurred with a credit card.

Some replies seem to suggest that having a credit card is unnecessary or undesirable. I disagree entirely. The degree of purchase protection offered and savings on certain purchases not to mention things like airmiles are great reasons to have a credit card, just perhaps not a Thai one.

Some hospitals give 10% credit for purchases of medicines with a debit card also.......

Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated

Ring Citibank.

You can get a link account.

You will have to go to Bangkok thought to open it but you can do most the process over the phone first.

Citibank will give a non-secured credit card. But....

I have a work permit, non-imm B visa, good income, but am over 60. Turned me down due to age. Guess they think I have one foot in the grave. I feel pretty healthy....

(Sorry about the weird quote. Am using an iPad with iOS 7. Perhaps it doesn't like the forum)

Go to another bank.... Kasikorn obviously do not fulfil your needs,

Bankok Bank were more than willing to give me credit cards and my circumstances match yours.

Although I did have to match the credit limit with a fixed term deposit account ...so not really 'credit'.

OP:

No problem if you go to Bangkok Bank. I have for my account with them a Visa Debit card but earlier this year I went to BB in Pattaya and applied and was given Visa/Master cards , Titanium and Platinum. U need to open a fixed deposit account(min 20,000 Baht) and whatever sum chosen represents your credit line.

Oddly only the one deposit is enough to give the credit line for both cards.

No charge nor annual fee on either credit card.

I have a "retirement" visa.

Edited by zombie nights

OP:

No problem if you go to Bangkok Bank. I have for my account with them a Visa Debit card but earlier this year I went to BB in Pattaya and applied and was given Visa/Master cards , Titanium and Platinum. U need to open a fixed deposit account(min 20,000 Baht) and whatever sum chosen represents your credit line.

So, a secured card....and according to this Bangkok Bank fee webpage the annual fee on Titanium/Platinum cards are in the Bt1,500 to Bt4,000 ball park depending on the particular one you have. Every Bangkok Bank credit card listed on the fees page has an annual fee...an annual fee for Thai bank credit cards is the norm.

I do have a credit card from the SCB bank and indeed you do need to put a deposit, but what is the problem? When you have 3 million I assume you have put it on a saving account with a for this time acceptable interest of 3.25% for one year fix.

You can link your deposit account to your saving account and when not using the money you will get the same 3,25% interest.

Next to that you take a current account for your daily need, from this account you let the credit amounts used deducted.

f.a. : you put 2.5 million on a saving account

you put 50,000 on a linked deposit account

the rest on your current account

OP:

So, a secured card....and according to this Bangkok Bank fee webpage the annual fee on Titanium/Platinum cards are in the Bt1,500 to Bt4,000 ball park depending on the particular one you have. Every Bangkok Bank credit card listed on the fees page has an annual fee...an annual fee for Thai bank credit cards is the norm.

Go to the main BB in Pattaya and they have a large notice up in the bank saying for foreigners no charge or annual fee for foreigners getting credit cards thru that bank branch. So i do not care what the web site says and if you want to try to contradict me contact BB Pattaya and get them to confirm.

Alternatively: get a life.

OP:

Go to the main BB in Pattaya and they have a large notice up in the bank saying for foreigners no charge or annual fee for foreigners getting credit cards thru that bank branch. So i do not care what the web site says and if you want to try to contradict me contact BB Pattaya and get them to confirm.

Alternatively: get a life.

Good that branch is offering that deal, but doubt its the policy at all Bangkok Bank branches.

I am not sure what the problem is. I have 3 kasikorn accounts...2 in patts one in bangkok. I have 2 cards, one is a debit card, one is a credit card...I am not retired in Thailand, I travel back and forth and put money in each account every trip, I spend less than I bring so in thepast 5 years all thw accounts have grown. Talk to kasikorn on 2nd road just before soi bawkow...I got my cards through that branch.

I am not sure what the problem is. I have 3 kasikorn accounts...2 in patts one in bangkok. I have 2 cards, one is a debit card, one is a credit card...I am not retired in Thailand, I travel back and forth and put money in each account every trip, I spend less than I bring so in thepast 5 years all thw accounts have grown. Talk to kasikorn on 2nd road just before soi bawkow...I got my cards through that branch.

Is that credit card secured or unsecured ?

Kasikorn recently ran me around in circles going to get DBD tax docs and Immigration certificates. Kept calling me back to sign this and that,

"oh your signature is different on page 30 of your passport copies.

60 days later, it took so long my WP expired . Application denied for expired WP .

OK flash forward a couple of months, WP renewed Visa renewed run around again , pay money to Immig and DBD again , get ignored at the bank as only one worker can speak English in one of the largest ex pat communities in Thailand , spend time filling out the form and the barely understandable snotty bank worker informs me "

Oh you have to have a land line telephone " and tore application up right then .

OK Complain to Kasikorn Customer service , no response. Finally told no such requirement, resubmit

OK run around get updated docs from immigratin and DBD, re apply

three weeks later, get letter, ( in Thai) Not enough income Call to complain , my income is enough, what's the reason ? Where are the tax and DBD docs I submitted, three times?

No answer.

OK Kasikorn you waste my time and have no intention of giving me a credit card, so please refund the expenses.

NO response

Country is a complete joke, how I regret my investment here, they are totally against foreigners in every way and there is no way I'd retire here as I was once planning. All about luring foreign men in with sex , trapping them into marriage to obtain residency and then stripping them of assets.

Foreign women need not apply.

Edited by MacChine

^ Not too far off there. Seems to me the FBA and immigration policies are exactly about that- marrying off the locals and stripping foreigners of assets.

At one time I had a hard time moving my funds back out, took about 3 hours of simply refusing to give up to get it done. I had the paperwork, the manager had made a mistake, so I"m to pay for it by leaving funds? Country is run by adolescents.

A happy ending (no...unfortunately not the massage variety). I took the advice I got on the forum and went to Bangkok Bank on 2nd Road today. It was a totally different experience compared to dealing with the Kasikorn Bank personnel at Central Festival. The customer service lady spoke fluent English, had good listening skills and even smiled a lot. In 15 minutes I completed the paperwork for a Visa credit card. I wanted a 150,000 Bhat credit limit and was required to open a Fixed Account of an equal amount bearing a 2.3% annual interest rate. I cannot access the funds in the Fixed account but that is acceptable to me. Thanks to the individuals who responded to my request for info !

• Like 1

Will an American (or other) Visa or Mastercard or Amex work anywhere? I used one to rent a car from Avis in BKK in April.

YES, NO PROBLEM WITH FOREIGN CREDIT/DEBIT CARDS HERE.

WIDELY ACCEPTED

THAISABAI

Except they give you a terrible exchange rate and fees on top often too.

Will an American (or other) Visa or Mastercard or Amex work anywhere? I used one to rent a car from Avis in BKK in April.

YES, NO PROBLEM WITH FOREIGN CREDIT/DEBIT CARDS HERE.

WIDELY ACCEPTED

THAISABAI

Except they give you a terrible exchange rate and fees on top often too.

Some do because of the associated card-issuing bank foreign transaction fee(s); but other cards have no foreign transactions which means you get the full Visa/MasterCard exchange rate that is plus or minus a few stang of the Thai bank TT Buying Rate which is about the best rate the common man can get. It all depends on the fees charged by the "card-issuing" bank.