What are you diabetics eating for breakfast?

george

I have diabetes type 2 since 10 years and has been advised by the Doc to eat salad or vegetables for breakfast.

Do you Type 2 guys have a better idea, like Musli without sugar? Any brand name you can recommend. I have looked at Tesco-Lotus and Villa market, but all brands are unknown for me.

Any other breakfast suggestions that keeps your blood sugar low?

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a diabetic myself but I try to avoid added sugar. I always eat and swear by Hahn sultanas-nut muesli every morning. About 184 baht per kilo from almost every supermarket. It's German make and no added sugar but does contain sultanas, which could easily be picked out, and different kinds of nuts and whole grains. the other type with fruit has added sugar.

You can also, and I've just tried it, make some unsweetened apple sauce (by microwaving green apples and crushing them) and mix it with the muesli and then bake the mixture in an oven at 140C for about 50 min with occasional stirring and it turns into unsweetened granola. Great especially with the roasted nuts you get from the mixture. I'm gonna make at least 1kg at a time of the granola and mix it 50:50 with untreated muesli.

Oh and I use either low fat milk or unsweetened soya milk, which some find repulsive, but I don't mind at all.

Edited by Card
  • Like 2

I had type 2 diabetes about 2.5 years ago, and the only thing that I did was got out any refined sugars, rice, pasta, white bread, cereals and started more excercising. for breakfast I would have my normal breakfast of eggs and a piece of whole wheat bread. My diabetic clinic told me not to drink any type of juices or banana's. Now 2.5 years later I have lost 55kgs and no longer have high blood sugar. Hope this helps

• Like 1

Been Type two diabetic for over 30 years and inject insulin 4 times a day.

My usual breakfast is a small bowl of fruit muesli (non-nut) mixed with some shredded wheat and a bit of all bran, topped off with half an apple (freshly sliced). Mix with zero fat milk.

I emphasise that all quantities must be small, but it is very filling and of course great for the digestive system and provides the 'roughage' that us diabetics need.

An occasional alternative can be two pieces of wholemeal toast, maybe topped with a lightly poached egg, plus the half apple.

A small glass of freshly squeezed orange juice is also good for you.

Don't be too paranoid about keeping away from all sugar - small amounts in moderation are fine, although if you are not taking insulin you need to be a bit more careful.

Best idea is to try out some new ideas, then check you blood sugar level after a couple of hours and make sure it is still within acceptable bounds.

Good luck

• Like 1

I have been diabetic Type 2 for 10 years as well.

I eat a fairly normal breakfast, cornflakes, wheatabix, Muslie. Best place to get this stuff ios from Food Land. they have Mcgarret Muslie, about 89 or 90 Baht a pack, not bad. I add some more Raisons and other dired furits.

Nevery drink Fruit juice, loads of sugar. Almost any fruit has lots of sugar in it.

Drink zero fat milk have it wth your breakfast.

Lunch have loads of green veg, and a small potato, I usually have a jacket one. No bigger than your fist, preferably smaller. Dinner a small as possible.

Avoid white bread and white rice, they very bad. Brown bread and rice is OK but small quatities.

Exercise 2 or 3 times a week for at least 30 mins.

Should see you right.

Hahne Multi Fruit Muesli "sugar free" available at Villa (bt 170/kg +/-) + low fat yoghurt / 0% fat milk and lots of coffee (no sugar)

read the labels - only the nutty version has no added sugar - the fruit version does have it.

I am Type 2 and find that "rice soup" is good for breakfast. Make it myself with a scoop of boiled rice, toss in a handful of small diced pork hewn from 2 or 3 strips of a steak (1 steak lasts 3 days), a small quantity of corn kernels. In the microwave for 5 minutes. Garnish it with heaps of fried garlic and maybe a dash of fish/soy sauce for salty. Have great HbA1 readings 2 hours later. This is an easy 5 minute preparation breakfast, easy on pocket and great taste, which can be tinkered for individual preference. :-D

• Like 1

I guess my question is how can any processed carbohydrate be good for you. A few of the things mentioned here are just sugar wrapped in a brown cooked exterior cereal or some component of corn, wheat, or rice each of which after break down convert to a sugar which releases insulin.

• Like 1

Type 2 (or 1.5 according to some). My standard breakfast is one egg, two sausages and one slice of seven grain toast. Numbers don't jump too much with that. Not the healthiest of breakfasts though!

Why isn't it healthy, yea I know that old bad saturated fat. But the only thing here that affects blood sugar is the toast.

I guess my question is how can any processed carbohydrate be good for you. A few of the things mentioned here are just sugar wrapped in a brown cooked exterior cereal or some component of corn, wheat, or rice each of which after break down convert to a sugar which releases insulin.

Which of the few things are u referring to?

Hahne Multi Fruit Muesli "sugar free" available at Villa (bt 170/kg +/-) + low fat yoghurt / 0% fat milk and lots of coffee (no sugar)

read the labels - only the nutty version has no added sugar - the fruit version does have it.

Nutty Muesli contains a lot of fat, which is why I prefer the fruit version, which of course contains some sugar but not a lot.

I'm sure I read about fruit Muesli many years ago in a medical magazine as being suitable for diabetics.

I am Type 2 and find that "rice soup" is good for breakfast. Make it myself with a scoop of boiled rice, toss in a handful of small diced pork hewn from 2 or 3 strips of a steak (1 steak lasts 3 days), a small quantity of corn kernels. In the microwave for 5 minutes. Garnish it with heaps of fried garlic and maybe a dash of fish/soy sauce for salty. Have great HbA1 readings 2 hours later. This is an easy 5 minute preparation breakfast, easy on pocket and great taste, which can be tinkered for individual preference. :-D

Yes, 'Kow tom' is another great breakfast alternative. I have mine with minced pork or prawns - prepared by a Thai lady who knows how to make it really tasty...smile.png

'My usual breakfast is a small bowl of fruit muesli (non-nut) mixed with some shredded wheat and a bit of all bran, topped off with half an apple (freshly sliced). Mix with zero fat milk.'

sounds good except for the zero fat milk. It's my understanding, though you should verify this yourself with a google search, the body can process the fats in milk, to create low or zero fat milk they extract the fat and replace with processed ingredients the body can't process.

from the mercola site:

'Diabetes: Palmitoleic acid, which occurs naturally in full-fat dairy products and meat, protects against insulin resistance and diabetes. One study found people who consumed full-fat dairy had higher levels of trans-palmitoleate in their blood, and this translated to a two-thirds lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes compared to people with lower levels.'

'I think it's safe to say that one of the biggest myths recently sabotaging many Americans' diets is the idea that low-fat and fat-free foods are healthy. It first started in the '50s and was largely a result of seriously flawed research by Ancel Keys. Fortunately most people are recognizing the fallacy of this myth, but many still believe it.'

source: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/05/21/why-you-need-to-avoid-low-fat-milk-and-cheese.aspx

As with any foodstuff, imo, the more processed it is, the less value, or even worse, the more toxic it becomes.

• Like 1

Type 2 for almost one year:

I eat half a cup (dry weight) of Lowan brand (Aussie) wholegrain quick oats along with one cup of skimmed milk, microwave for 90 secs and add two tablespoons of crushed flaxseed for omega3, blood glucose spikes to 135 very briefly but returns to circa 105 within 90 minutes - you can go for the rolled or steel cut oats but the glycemic value on the Quick Oats is the same. Later I eat half a cup of blueberries and half a cup of raspberries with two heaped tablespoons of plain yogurt, produces a short spike but returns quickly.

An alternative to the above, just to break up the monotony of eating oats is a spinach omelette, the active ingredient in spinach is Alpha Lipoic Acid ALA, and you can buy supplements which also work well) which does an outstanding job of reducing blood glucose levels.

Cinnamon: if you can get your hands on some Ceylonese cinnamon it's very healthy, avoid at all costs consuming cinnamon in any quantity from China, Indonesia and Thailand as it kills the liver, contains way too much coumarin.

A fry up: a breakfast of fried eggs and sausage is actually OK but not too often for obvious reasons unrelated to Type 2.

Edited by chiang mai

I eat half a cup (dry weight) of Lowan brand (Aussie) wholegrain quick oats along with one cup of skimmed milk, microwave for 90 secs and add two tablespoons of crushed flaxseed for omega3, blood glucose spikes to 135 very briefly but returns to circa 105 within 90 minutes - you can go for the rolled or steel cut oats but the glycemic value on the Quick Oats is the same. Later I eat half a cup of blueberries and half a cup of raspberries with two heaped tablespoons of plain yogurt, produces a short spike but returns quickly.

An alternative to the above, just to break up the monotony of eating oats is a spinach omelette, the active ingredient in spinach is Alpha Lipoic Acid ALA, and you can buy supplements which also work well) which does an outstanding job of reducing blood glucose levels.

you put all those healthy ingredients into a microwave? Microwaved food looses around 70% of it's value, it destroys amino acids and many other nutrients. As for skimmed milk read above post.

Edited by kelly404

you put all those healthy ingredients into a microwave? Microwaved food looses around 70% of it's value, it destroys amino acids and many other nutrients. As for skimmed milk read above post.

Maybe to some degree:

http://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/5343/does-microwaving-destroy-nutrients-in-food

If you want muesli make it yourself.

Unsweetened yogurt, uncooked oatmeal, nuts and artificial sweetener of your choice. For fruits, stick to berries.

Eggs, meat and cheese are also fine. It is processed cereals, breads, rice, noodles and high-glycemic index fruits that you need to avoid.

BTW cinnamon has been shown to help regulate blood sugar. It is very good on cooked oatmeal or on muesli, can also add it to tea or coffee.

Regarding artificial sweetener? You have to very careful with your choice, most of them contain 'aspartame' a well know neuro toxin, banned in many countries you could be poisoning yourself.

Just look it up, there hasn't been 1 independent study that declares it safe.

' It is processed cereals, breads, rice, noodles and high-glycemic index fruits that you need to avoid.'

I agree with that.

If you want muesli make it yourself.

Unsweetened yogurt, uncooked oatmeal, nuts and artificial sweetener of your choice. For fruits, stick to berries.

Eggs, meat and cheese are also fine. It is processed cereals, breads, rice, noodles and high-glycemic index fruits that you need to avoid.

BTW cinnamon has been shown to help regulate blood sugar. It is very good on cooked oatmeal or on muesli, can also add it to tea or coffee.

Regarding artificial sweetener? You have to very careful with your choice, most of them contain 'aspartame' a well know neuro toxin, banned in many countries you could be poisoning yourself.

Just look it up, there hasn't been 1 independent study that declares it safe.

' It is processed cereals, breads, rice, noodles and high-glycemic index fruits that you need to avoid.'

I agree with that.

And I agree with all of that.

'Maybe to some degree':

imo there is no maybe, it's certainly been proven to my satisfaction, I wouldn't touch them.

'Why cooking with a microwave destroys cancer-fighting nutrients in food and promotes nutritional deficiencies

Learn more:

http://www.naturalnews.com/039404_microwave_ovens_vitamins_nutrients.html#ixzz2fPylv8Cn

from the same study:

'Microwaves absolutely decimate the nutritional value of your food, destroying the very vitamins and phytonutrients that prevent disease and support good health. Previous studies have shown that as much as 98% of the cancer-fighting nutrients in broccoli, for example, are destroyed by microwaving.

Edited by kelly404
  • Like 1

'Maybe to some degree':

imo there is no maybe, it's certainly been proven to my satisfaction, I wouldn't touch them.

'Why cooking with a microwave destroys cancer-fighting nutrients in food and promotes nutritional deficiencies

Learn more:

http://www.naturalnews.com/039404_microwave_ovens_vitamins_nutrients.html#ixzz2fPylv8Cn

from the same study:

'Microwaves absolutely decimate the nutritional value of your food, destroying the very vitamins and phytonutrients that prevent disease and support good health. Previous studies have shown that as much as 98% of the cancer-fighting nutrients in broccoli, for example, are destroyed by microwaving.

And the article below will say that coooking spinach on the stove causes it to lose 77% of its nutrient value whereas it loses none when cooked in a microwave!

I'm happy to keep an open mind on most things but I tend to close it more when the evidence supplied is all from natural food supplier sources - the article below says there's no problem at all and that heating food in any way causes a loss of nutrients, regardless of whether it's microwaved or stove cooked. Anyway, I think most diabteics would say to you, I have a problem with insulin resistance, not a problem with nutrient defficency :

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/17/health/17real.html?_r=0

• Like 1

'Maybe to some degree':

Learn more:

from the same study:

And the article below will say that coooking spinach on the stove causes it to lose 77% of its nutrient value whereas it loses none when cooked in a microwave!

I'm happy to keep an open mind on most things but I tend to close it more when the evidence supplied is all from natural food supplier sources - the article below says there's no problem at all and that heating food in any way causes a loss of nutrients, regardless of whether it's microwaved or stove cooked. Anyway, I think most diabteics would say to you, I have a problem with insulin resistance, not a problem with nutrient defficency :

'Maybe to some degree':

Learn more:

from the same study:

I'm not a diabetic, so don't know much about that subject, I was just reading through the posts and noticed some unhealthy practices. For myself I cook veg as little as possible, steam for 3 min.

Regarding sugar consumption here, there is far too much of it, and I wouldn't be surprised to find it was responsible for a lot of the many colon cancers here. When I first arrived and asked for a local tea, I couldn't believe it as i saw that 3 desert spoons of sugar followed by a big serving of evaporated sweet milk were added to my tea. Then I found it was being added to the meals as well.

I drink 1 glass of water once every 2 days with half a teaspoon of arm and hammer bi carb of soda, this makes the system more alkaline and is a good cancer prevention technique.

But regarding the NYT I'm sure I could find many articles saying wi fi technology is totally safe, independent studies disagree, but that's another subject entirely

Edited by kelly404

Also been type 2 for about 10 years. My breakfast is 2 fried eggs, potatoes, couple ham slices ,toast and 2% milk. I take the following medication daily 2,000mg Metaformin and 4 mg Ameryl. Fasting blood/sugar is under 100.

Lefty