The Bee Eaters are back.

worgeordie

back? Green Bee-eaters (& others) are resident & present throughout the year around CM & the north... (maybe just dodging your particular place of late wink.png )

right about wagtails though... the White Wagtail (looks like a Pied) is a winter visitor.

Hi Goshawk, I once seen a Hoopoe a few years ago,are they migratory

as well ? and never see Kingfishers anymore I could see them flashing

about in the small river at rear of my house, looks like the same Kingfisher

we have in UK so must have a very wide range.

regards Worgeordie

This is not good. Bee's are a very important part of the food chain.

Dont worry Dolly, thats just their name, their diet will be made of

mostly other harmful insects, you have to be careful what you say

on ThaiVisa ,as theres always someone who wants to kill somethi

ng

be it Pigeons,frogs,snakes,dogs cats,and maybe if they think this

bird is eating all the bees, kill it kill it, only joking

please excuse the way this has turned out,new keyboard,not used

to it yet.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

regards Worgeordie

Hi Geordie,

I am not Goshwak, but have been birding in SE Asia for 20 years;-)

Hoopoes are very common all over SE Asia in winter. Numerous species of Kingfishers are very common in Thailand, I saw a Common Kingfisher (the same as in the UK) just yesterday in the middle of Chiang Mai along a small canal. Other Kingfishers here are more in dry habitat, such as White-throated Kingfisher whilst yet others are forest birds and a bitch to see....

This is not good. Bee's are a very important part of the food chain.

please excuse the way this has turned out,new keyboard,not used

to it yet.

regards Worgeordie

A few more B# and D minors and your tune will be like a little song thrush.

Sent via tin can and string after pigeon shot

regards Worgeordie

saw a Common Kingfisher, same as in UK, at the north west corner of the moat today - just along from Huay Kaew.

Haven't been here for a winter yet - looking forward to seeing a Hoopoe

Common Kingfishers are common, as their name implies (doesn't always work). You are likely to see them more in winter, though.

I don't think I ever saw a Hoopoe in fifteen years in Chiangmai. Here in Buriram, though, they are very common... and a great source of pleasure to me. Last year, one brought off two broods in the same nest-hole. It was only two feet above the ground, so I could keep a good watch on them. They sit very tight, and did not even move when I shone a (weak) torch on them. This year they didn't do so well... two broods failed, and a Spotted Owlet too in the same hole (not at the same time!).

Edited by isanbirder

regards Worgeordie

Hi Geordie,

I am not Goshwak, but have been birding in SE Asia for 20 years;-)

Hoopoes are very common all over SE Asia in winter. Numerous species of Kingfishers are very common in Thailand, I saw a Common Kingfisher (the same as in the UK) just yesterday in the middle of Chiang Mai along a small canal. Other Kingfishers here are more in dry habitat, such as White-throated Kingfisher whilst yet others are forest birds and a bitch to see....

Used have an abundance of Hoopoes where I lived as a volunteer on a Kibbutz. What amazing birds! (There were a few other amazing birds but I won't talk about that right now)

I once seen a Hoopoe a few years ago,are they migratory

as well ?

Hoopoes are resident in Thailand. They are migratory in Europe. I see them often in the South of France. And as far north as central France. Loads around my place in Kanchanaburi. I took this one at Bang Phra, Chonburi.

post-111239-0-18051300-1379675123_thumb.

I believe the Lesser Beaver Eater and the Come Quick will be in abundance this Autumn /Winter. The call of OIey Oley Oley and the twitter of thisplaceiscrapwherecanigetafuggincurry is a regular and well known vocal occurrence of the many migratory breeds from the northern hemisphere at that time of year. A beautiful and no doubt welcome addition to the Thai natural history that we have come to known and love.

• Like 2

well...where to start? If you head down towards Chumphon and stop just a few kilometers north of town at the Khao Dinsor (Pencill Hill) watch site, you can see about 25,000 Blue-tailed Bee-eaters migrating south each August to late October...and also approx. 5,000 Blue-tailed Bee-eaters...and 100-200 Chestnut-headed Bee-eaters...and about 300,000 raptors of 30 or so species (Black Baza; Chinese Sparrowhawk; Greater Steppe Eagle, etc.)

For our (free) report on the 2012 migration (peak season is October), click on this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8urns9xj4capwgb/KhaoDinsor.2012.DeCandido.pdf?m

many photos therein...and much data.

Look up the Chumphon Raptor Center on Facebook for daily updates on the bird migration...

We occasionally get Hoopoe migrants as far south as Chumphon...and I remember them well from Israel when I did bird migration research there...

https://www.facebook.com/ChumphonRaptorCenter -

Robert DeCandido PhD

Photos of Thailand and its birds: http://photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=714849

• Like 1

I started bird watching up here in Sukhothai about 10 days ago and took this photo of a green bee-eater last week.

http://www.surfbirds.com/community-blogs/obroadie/files/2013/09/Not-sure.jpg

I also started a wee online journal of Thai birding here.

http://www.surfbirds.com/community-blogs/obroadie/

I'm really new to this so I hope some folks can help correct any identification mistakes I've made.

Thanks for any input of the subject.

Cheers

Ollie

I started bird watching up here in Sukhothai about 10 days ago and took this photo of a green bee-eater last week.

http://www.surfbirds.com/community-blogs/obroadie/files/2013/09/Not-sure.jpg

I also started a wee online journal of Thai birding here.

http://www.surfbirds.com/community-blogs/obroadie/

I'm really new to this so I hope some folks can help correct any identification mistakes I've made.

Thanks for any input of the subject.

Cheers

Ollie

Your cuckoo looks like a plaintive cuckoo (see my pic taken in Sriracha). Your "Indian Pond Heron" is a Chinese Pond Heron.

post-111239-0-32537500-1379679796_thumb.

Just an additional note on your cuckoo. It definitely is a plaintive cuckoo for two reasons. Firstly the rusty breasted cuckoo is only found in the south of Thailand and even there is quite rare. Secondly the rusty breasted cuckoo has an orange breast all the way up to the throat whereas the plaintive cuckoo continues it's grey head colour a third of the way down its breast. Otherwise, I agree, the two birds are quite similar. But not in their call. You'll never mistake a plaintive cuckoo. Sounds like some child trying to whistle, badly and out of tune!

And btw I bought Dylan's album "Bringing It All Back Home" when it first came out in 1965. Still have it. Great record.

Edited by galoubet

regards Worgeordie

hi worgeordie, Hoopoe's are resident but quite localised around CM. The best place to see them is around the base of Doi Suthep among agricultural/farm land & sparsely wooded areas. For a very long period there was one particular large tree at Mae Hia Ag' college that i came to name the 'Hoopoe tree', it always had one in it... right up until it got cut down. Ho hum.

can't say i've noticed any big decrease in (common) kingfisher numbers.. although the presence, or absence, of them in any area is indicative of the standard/quality of the water.