Fuel theft: How to Stop it.

12DrinkMore

Just try something very simple:

Since the tube and valve are typically only accessible on one side of the bike, try parking it so that this side is against a wall or fence. It is quite difficult then to reach over to the valve and/or tube without moving the bike, and the crook will give up trying to fit the can in the space also.

A small investment is a dust cover for the bike. These usually have metal rings in the bottom. Just use a padlock there, and the thief won't reach the tube/valve any more, and I doubt he would risk ripping the dust cover either.

Great simple idea!

But then there is no reason to hurt/kill anymore sad.png

• Like 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the basball bat idea the most but maybe not the best. If you really want to be mcgyver style you can put a small iron wire around the fuel hose connect with a battery in between which makes connection when you thouch the fuel hose and connect the other end to the horn of your bike. for sure that will scare m off in de middle of the night. (sounds more difficult than it is to fix, youtube)

spend 500 baht on one of those cameras to film the road as you drive the car and film your bike, get him on camera and take it to the police...

Yes BUT!

Like many of the posts here, it involves Confrontation!

Confrontation is a serious no no.

Best do something simple so the thief can´t get fuel.

Get the thief to go somewhere easier to get his fuel.

If you can do it so the thief doesn´t realise that you are on to him, all the better.

It doesn´t take much effort to do serious damage to your property - or person.

Live in peace, live long and prosper.

Put a cup of sugar into your full gas tank after turning off your fuel valve.

Borrow someone else's bike to ride for a few days.

Drain the tank and clean it real good when you find someone has taken the bait.

Repeat as necessary.

The sugar thing is a myth.

I was going to try this, but a bit of searching on the internet showed that it simply does not work.

Video cameras don't STOP anything either you have a picture of some hoody stealing your 52" flat screen TV or your fuel. If the police won't do anything then camera footage is useless.

I suggest you simply spend a few minutes upon your return and drain the tank yourself, then simply refill in the morning. After a while the guy may give up.

Or the extra tap routine.

You can buy alarmed bike covers but I have not seen one here. The covers yes Honda sells them but not the alarm. This of course only works if there is a security guard who is not stealing your fuel!

The 50/50 diesel has merit but only once because the second time he may not steal it and you'll have to drain the tank.

If you know for sure he will steal the fuel, my favourite, a bottle of Brasso (shake well) from 7-11 in the tank would probably have the desired result but may result in revenge if he is smart enough to put two and two together. Probably not...

Old age and treachery will always win over youth and enthusiasm!

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

Tonight the scooter is indoors.

But the valve under the seat or behind one of the fairings is going to be the plan; cheap and simple and can use anywhere, anytime. Just need to find out how the tubes are routed.

Another idea is to somehow get the fuel gauge to show zero when the motor is not running. At the moment it always gives the last fuel level before the engine is witched off. I have occasionally wondered how this is achieved. I imagine that there is some friction plate in the indicator. If the thief saw there was no fuel then maybe he would not bother and just move on to the next scooter.

I just want to get this resolved without causing an issue with the locals. Electrocution, explosions, damaging other vehicles and even resorting to Thailand's Boys in Brown I consider to be out of the question. This shit ALWAYS comes back, all I need to do is to make it less attractive and more difficult to take fuel from my machine than the one standing outside the next house....

• Like 1

Buy a tank. Place the tank right next to the bike, pointed at the fuel tank. You can get a Russian BMP-1 super cheap right now!! 73mm smooth gun bore isn't great, but not bad either.

If not, put your bike in the middle of a croc-infested moat. I have tried sharks before, but crocs (and hippos) really do a good job after 9 p.m.

Tonight the scooter is indoors.

But the valve under the seat or behind one of the fairings is going to be the plan; cheap and simple and can use anywhere, anytime. Just need to find out how the tubes are routed.

Another idea is to somehow get the fuel gauge to show zero when the motor is not running. At the moment it always gives the last fuel level before the engine is witched off. I have occasionally wondered how this is achieved. I imagine that there is some friction plate in the indicator. If the thief saw there was no fuel then maybe he would not bother and just move on to the next scooter.

I just want to get this resolved without causing an issue with the locals. Electrocution, explosions, damaging other vehicles and even resorting to Thailand's Boys in Brown I consider to be out of the question. This shit ALWAYS comes back, all I need to do is to make it less attractive and more difficult to take fuel from my machine than the one standing outside the next house....

I already gave you the solution, ghosts...

There will be no repercussions as the thief will never even enter the village/town/city again !!!

How about covering the hose in dog shit?

Or maybe leave some live electrical wires exposed in that area, not enough voltage to kill him of course...

Why??

I cant figure that one out either.

I keep thinking about loose live wires sparking and someone getting gas out of a tank next to them, need I go any further ?w00t.gif

If your bike is parked in a dark area, how about hanging fish hooks at eye level, putting some nails through a board and turning the board point side up, or connecting some bare wire to an electrical outlet around the bike?

Just kidding, but I read that's how pot growers help to protect their crops.

Some simple bare wires connected to a charged high voltage capacitor bank (for example 320 Volt 5000 or 6000 uf will do) u can find on google or utube how to make this. But be aware this could be deadly and you might find your gasoline thief next your motorcycle. If this is a concern you can use a lower voltage capacitor bank like 100 Volt and far less uf, this will still be the shock of a lifetime when done properly.

Succes.

You´d do what?

Where in the world would this be a legal action ?

If the thief is not dead he will torch your bike for sure - I would!

I think it would be worth it.

I think you might have a look at changing the taps and fuel lines to allow you to use 'hose clamps' and stainless steal webbing covering the fuel lines ... ( auto custom shops) ...

He is not going to bother trying to loosen with screw-driver and if you wanted to you could grind the screw to make it inaccessible with screw-driver ...

I also think a motion sensing security light will fix his capers .... cheap and easy to set up.

How about a security light that illuminates when someone comes into the vicinity of where you park your bike.

And maybe a hose clip on the pipe... then at least he will need a screwdriver.

OOps didn't see this before I posted ....

Great minds ...... thumbsup.gif

Messing with the fuel and mixing it etc is in my opinion pointless as he might sell it instead of using it so you are going to cause someone else problems. I would just wait for him and beat him up so bad that he wouldn't be able to steal anything anymore. But you might want to resort to a more subtle solution and that is: install cctv and yes it might cost a few grand but then you are going to have peace of mind. And if he steals fuel from you 10 times that is already close to a thousand baht. So overtime he will make you regret that you did not invest in a camera so you can go to the police and provide evidence and say this man keeps kamoying my fuel.

• Like 2

I would just put a sign in Thai that says that you know already who he is, have IR footage, but are giving him a last chance just becase you jay dee and don't want him to loose face., also write the name of a local cop, real or imaginary.

Then if he does it again, you will feel authorized do whatever you want. But I bet that will be enough to stop it,

My advice:

- drain the bike yourself for a couple of nights, so there is nothing left for him/her

- top it up in the morning

It is just a little bit of work, and the thief will catch on...

Do not do anything too nasty, it might backfire on you (given the tendency that people like to use guns for the tiniest of things).

Good Luck thumbsup.gif

If it were me I would just park it in the house for a while. He would find a happier hunting ground...the next victim. Sure it would be a hassle but Kamoies usually are not that smart -Shrewd yes smart NOT. Saves any cost of camera equipment & special gizzies to hide the petcock & it might enrage the little prick & get a damaged bike from retaliation. Out of site I think he would get the idea that the jig is up & move on.

• 6 months later...