Does i really need a workingpermit?

In february next year i will go to hua-hin for 2 weeks.This trip is paid for me by a old couple who wants me to help them about daily things there,as order food,translating if they fex need some help or just daily things as shopping etc..This old couple cant speak 1 single word english,so they asked me if i can go with them, all expencives paid.I said yes,but no some people in some other asian forums told me that i need a workingpermit for this,kind of help.

I guess this cant be rigth?The trip and handmoney for me will be paid before we travel to thai,so i cant see that this is unlegal!Helping an old couple who wants to go to hua-hin and need help about this things i see as a helping hand for them.They been there last year,but returned back after few days because of lack of langues.

Brgds Stigar.

This is Thailand. No need to follow the law if you just stay under the radar. This is not Europe, the rule of law is weak, not uniformly applied nor enforced. The last thing you want to do is start introducing yourself to the Ministry of Labour and ask for a work permit.

Yah no one needs to know exactly what you're doing in the company of others,

so I would pass on the work permit.

Besides they would have to have a company register for you to apply for a work permit,

and then they would be sponsoring you as an employee.

So you wouldn't be eligible anyways.

• Like 1

Apart from posting your question on this forum, who will know that you are working?

The type of 'work' you describe seems more like assisting an old couple, based on expenses, no salary, so it's more like volunteer work.

Acquiring a work permit in Thailand is not a sinecure!

Not true at all. You are essentially a caregiver.... and it only takes one irritated/jealous relative to turn you in. Many expats only have "Tourist Visas" but still work. Some get caught. What is the problem with getting a work visa anyways?

No such thing as a 'work visa' stop confusing the man.

If they give you money to pay for the trip and then you help them, that is all that it is....you are on holiday with your friends who have money and want you along for your expertise. That is it. And, no reason to tell people that. At immigration, you tell them the TRUTH: you are on holiday with your friends (or family, or whatever they are to you).

Some people here go insane about the work permit thing. I have had several times when people have called me up and offered me transport, beer and food to do different things for them on the computer and I don't need a work permit for that....I helped a friend and he or she was happy, so he or she bought me some beers and a dinner.

You will be fine.

Dont get surprised when/if migration tell you are not wellcome to the country....ever

Somewhat over the top in my opinion.

About two and a half years ago I was hired on a short term contract to provide English training for the workers in a large provincial court complex in a provincial city. When I was discussing the work involved I was talking with a number of higher ups - including 2 judges. I mentioned to them that I was in Thailand on a retirement visa so it was impossible for me to get a WP and to work legally.

The response from the judges was "mai pen rai" and I did about 30 hours of training for which I received an excellent hourly rate.

I suspect most people who get caught in the WP trap have been snitched on by some jealous people.

I also lived on a farm in a small Thai village and the locals used to admire me because I wasn't afraid of doing manual labor on the farm. I also suspect that many Thais have a sixth sense to pick up the attitude of farangs who feel they are superior to the local people. If you do feel superior to the Thais, they will know about it, and you are much more likely to have problems.

• Like 1

Middle Eastern and Chinese visitors bring their domestic help all the time and do not have problems being without a work permit. Ignore all the noise about WP and getting kicked out of the country if some local chats to officials. Those that post these things are just unknowledgeable alarmist.

• Like 1

Following the letter of the law to the fullest extent, you need a work permit.

However, that's because Thailand's law is written in such an idiotic way that following it that closely, someone checking their email while they're in Thailand on holiday needs a work permit.

It's actually worse than that, if you actually follow the letter of the law. The definition of work is technically anything where you use energy to do something.

Under that definition, WALKING is work, but even Thailand realises that arresting foreigners for walking without a work permit would be ridiculous. Although they have started arresting people for doing work on their own boats, they don't appear (yet), to have got to the point of arresting people for driving their own cars or similar...

Since work permits can only be applied for by a company registered in Thailand that would be employing you, you can't get a work permit anyway. i.e. You have no way of getting a work permit anyway.

Treat it as a holiday.

So long as you're only going to be doing stuff that a regular tourist would be doing, it will not be a problem. (So long as it's just 3 of you, it's fine, especially if you look like you're related, etc. - If it got to the stage where you had a busload of people that you were acting as translator for - it might be a different matter.)

• Like 2

I am working a few hours a week for the Thai police. No wp. Their unofficial stance is .... as long as no one snitches on you .... we do not care. If you make someone jealous and they file a complaint, you stil have a 50/50 chance not to get in any trouble. Unless it is someone high up the feeding chain filing a complaint than your in for a problem.

• Like 1

Not true at all. You are essentially a caregiver.... and it only takes one irritated/jealous relative to turn you in. Many expats only have "Tourist Visas" but still work. Some get caught. What is the problem with getting a work visa anyways?

Have you ever heard of a Non-immigrant Type B visa? Look it up!

Have you ever heard of a Non-immigrant Type B visa? Look it up!
No visa allows you to work only a work permit does that.

A non-b business visa would allow a person working for a foreign company to attend meetings with customers, suppliers and etc.

Edited by ubonjoe

I am working a few hours a week for the Thai police. No wp. Their unofficial stance is .... as long as no one snitches on you .... we do not care. If you make someone jealous and they file a complaint, you stil have a 50/50 chance not to get in any trouble. Unless it is someone high up the feeding chain filing a complaint than your in for a problem.

Rigth..yes i also work as a translator for the police in Surin sometimes..they not give me money,just beer and whisky,after we drink it up together...when its no more to drink..guess who have to buy the next one..ha-ha

If you are just coming to Thailand for a holiday, using a tourist visa, in the company of friends, there will be no need for WP!

I am not so sure about that.... The police or some immigration officer would love to prove you wrong and take the money.