Steak for the price of a motorcycle

Tywais

Which is why Cairns airport has a butcher at the passenger lounge, selling prime beef in insulated boxes, for the tourists to take back to Japan. It's a terrible price, but it seems to be much cheaper than in Japan.

ok, so we accept for an individual its expensive and quantity-wise too much.

But if you owned a steak house for example; anyone have any idea how many steaks/servings you could salvage from that old cow....it may actually be a very good value buy.

I dont suppose the buyer from Mc D's will be along any time soon.

ok, so we accept for an individual its expensive and quantity-wise too much.

But if you owned a steak house for example; anyone have any idea how many steaks/servings you could salvage from that old cow....it may actually be a very good value buy.

I dont suppose the buyer from Mc D's will be along any time soon.

Hahha at some of the 99cents menu for the hamburger ...I will just stay happy it's beef and nothing added on it :-)

Tywais.... did you happen across the slab of Matzusaka in the bin? That was only 87,000 and has been chilling in there for over a year.

I do remember a label Matzusaka but didn't check the price. Guess you could call it aged beef now. biggrin.png

Tywais.... did you happen across the slab of Matzusaka in the bin? That was only 87,000 and has been chilling in there for over a year.

Looked up what it may look like and found this on wiki - Sliced Matsusaka wagyu beef. I've never seen anything like that before. Also Wagyu translated means Japanese cow. Thought it would have a fancier name. biggrin.png

800px-Sliced_Matsusaka_wagyu_beef.jpg

The cow would work out same price as a Ferrari, no wonder they look after them so

well, massages and beer. good life been a cow in Japan ,until off to knackers yard.

regards Worgeordie

Big deal. A cow gets massage, and drinks beer. You just described me!!!!

• Like 2

Suddenly we have to follow the Japanese when we are buying a steak??? Just because they x-ray a cow their style of steak is better? <deleted>. Give me a good Aussie tenderloin over a marbly piece of crap anytime.

No kidding. The problem with the Asians is that few of them have the right land, or enough of it, for true beef raising. In countries which have lots of that kind of land but which is good for little else - say rocky or steep - the cattle will harvest the grass etc. which man and machines couldn't do. Then the basic feed for the first year is essentially free. Then they just have to be corralled for the last two or three months and grain fed, and you have much, much cheaper beef and lots of it.

I'm still buying USDA choice beef at the grocery store in the US when they have a sale, for $2.49 a pound, or a little over $5 a kilogram, or about 160 baht per kg.

In LOS I find something else to eat because even at high prices in a restaurant, I might get crap.

Australians know how to raise good beef, for sure.

30 8 oz steaks at food costs of 20% would need to sale a la carte in restaurant at 7000 bht per, hope your cook doesn't overcooked it and its sent back, your kitchen staff knows how to cut it without waste and the dishwashers don't decide to make it for themselves for dinner!