Looking for a used car

A1Str8

I am looking for a second hand car in Cm.

A well maintained pickup truck or a city car in good condition, automatic.

Without accidents or any major incidents. Preferably a few years old, up to approx 400k.

If anybody(except agents)is selling such car please let me know.

Also any suggestions regarding to the matter is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Sent from one of my devices using the internet

Check out adds on ThaiVisa classifieds or BahtSold ,as it might be better

buying from private seller than one of those tent dealers.there should be

plenty of choice at what you offer, so take a little time and find best deal

regards Worgeordie

My advice is to take your time, if at all possible. I waited for about two and a half years, until the right car, at the right price, came a long.

I found the car in the City Life online classifieds and as soon as I saw it, even though it was in a rather sorry state due to a lot of rust, I knew that that was the one, because the rest of the car was in great shape. The car is a classic 2300 E Benz and I paid 80,000 Baht for it. I got the rust taken out and a complete repaint job for 30,000 Baht in an eye catching yellow color. The total is now up to around 115,000 Baht but for that I got a Benz with a Toyota J1, 2500 cc engine and a Toyota auto transmission. The car has a lot more zip than an unmodified 2300 E Benz. It runs on LPG with a 96 Liter LPG tank in the boot, so it is relatively cheap to run, but still has a long range because of the big LPG tank. The car has a great stereo system with a DVD player with screen and an mp3 player input and even has a TV which works great. The car has central locking which works and manual windows, which I prefer to power windows. It is a much stronger car than what is built these days.

My girl friend absolutely loves the car, which is quite unusual, because most Thais turn their noses up at any thing that isn't new.

So don't listen to all the responders who will tell you never, absolutely never buy a used car from a Thai person, because you are sure to be cheated. A sweeping generalization that I have heard a lot about. However, be very careful with the paper work. Do not hand over any money util the car is registered in your name in the road tax office.

You have to know what is a good car or not, what is a good deal or not, and be prepared to wait. Buying anything in a great hurry will likely have a bad ending.

a complete repaint job for 30,000 Baht in an eye catching yellow color.

My girl friend absolutely loves the car, which is quite unusual, because most Thais turn their noses up at any thing that isn't new.

She loves the colour mate; not the car.

Thais seem to prefer the most hideous of colours, as you see orange painted walls; bright blue roof panels, l green boundary walls.................and my favourite monstrosity that lime green Nissan March.

....and then you see them with old men............just goes to show they have no taste whatsoever.

• Like 1

Anyone has experience with owning Ford here in Thailand?

I am referring to service and such things. How easy it is to change parts if necessary and maintain the car?

Thank you

I have an 8 year old Ford pickup. No problems with parts or repairs. The local guys can fix the regular stuff. The dealership just replaced the timing belt.

I am referring to service and such things. How easy it is to change parts if necessary and maintain the car?

Thank you

Just sold my Ford Escape, one of the reasons was the terrible and expensive service at the dealer. American Motors (that should be enough info to know one is heading towards trouble as Amercian Motors, AMC, is the name of a diferemt car company that use to make Jeep) is the name of the local dealer who operates both the Ford sales and service centers in CM. The one in town is on the outside of the moat. The service guys have broken things and just fixed with tape hoping I wouldn't notice and even returned my car with the air cleaner in upside down so the hood would not fully closed. Then they built a new fancy building near Rimping/Rumchook with the intention of having thier English speaking customers go. The few service managers they have had speak English but don't not know anything about cars, I consider myself not very mechanically inclined and found myself to be much more informed then them. They keep very little in stock so unless it's a oil change etc.one has to put down a deposit and then they get the part from BKK and then it takes days to fix a 2 hr job. even a small thing they needed car all day so very inconvenient to be stuck out there. Just take a look in the service bays and 1 of the 10 mechanics usually are working at any one time. When I wanted a regular service, but a big one like 100,000 km they have no idea what that is and I had to print up a list of what needs to be done off the Internet and give it to them. As for other non-dealers not many know Ford like Toyota etc. so never had any luck with that either. I really liked the car and wanted to buy a new Ford but could not imagine being held hostage by the monopoly that is the local representative here.

Thank you

Just sold my Ford Escape, one of the reasons was the terrible and expensive service at the dealer. American Motors (that should be enough info to know one is heading towards trouble as Amercian Motors, AMC, is the name of a diferemt car company that use to make Jeep) is the name of the local dealer who operates both the Ford sales and service centers in CM. The one in town is on the outside of the moat. The service guys have broken things and just fixed with tape hoping I wouldn't notice and even returned my car with the air cleaner in upside down so the hood would not fully closed. Then they built a new fancy building near Rimping/Rumchook with the intention of having thier English speaking customers go. The few service managers they have had speak English but don't not know anything about cars, I consider myself not very mechanically inclined and found myself to be much more informed then them. They keep very little in stock so unless it's a oil change etc.one has to put down a deposit and then they get the part from BKK and then it takes days to fix a 2 hr job. even a small thing they needed car all day so very inconvenient to be stuck out there. Just take a look in the service bays and 1 of the 10 mechanics usually are working at any one time. When I wanted a regular service, but a big one like 100,000 km they have no idea what that is and I had to print up a list of what needs to be done off the Internet and give it to them. As for other non-dealers not many know Ford like Toyota etc. so never had any luck with that either. I really liked the car and wanted to buy a new Ford but could not imagine being held hostage by the monopoly that is the local representative here.

Thank you. This is how I imagined having Ford here.

They are so infatuated with Toyota and Honda, well okay they know Isuzu as well that I would expect it to be difficult to deal with other brands. Unless you are in Bkk of course, there they have all kinds of services but it takes years to get to the dealership or car service because of the light traffic.

Many better cars Thais own/keep for up-to 10 years before buying new again, often these 1 owner luxury cars are low KM and in showroom condition, and of course a fraction of there new price.

Up to you what you want in a car, Leather, climate control, electric seats, ABS, 4, 6, 8 or more Airbags, + own something different then 99% of other road users.. you can buy all this in a 2nd hand 400,000 baht car..

yes for the same [very little more] money you can buy a rather basic new city car, like all the others.. good idea if it is a must have for work, or you do a lot of KM, or KM per lt is important

Early 2004, bought a Honda Jazz, Thais do not like hatch backs, so say, back then was try to spot another, now as common as muck. 5 years ago sold it and bought a 10 year old one owner low KM Audi A6 for 200,000 baht, great car very few on the roads here. the Jazz was the top model, even so nothing like an Audi for comfort or presents. very little problems in 5 years so far.

As for Thai cars Nissan Tiida hatch 2009, is under you budget for top model. there are other top models ABS, Airbags, Leather etc 2008/9 for under you budget...

Maybe look for something you like in top condition for under 400,000 so you have a bit left over just in case you need some replacement part.

Edited by ignis

To the guy who bought the old Merc .The Thais have respect for that make ,no matter how old it is .I love them myself .The modern Mercs are nothing like the old ones ,and untill you see the badge it could be any big car .

There are 2 SLX types, look to see if it is the model with ABS and Airbag, brand new cost less than 30,000 baht more for the ABS/Airbag model..........

Would you feel safer in the model with the ABS/Airbag model ?

a complete repaint job for 30,000 Baht in an eye catching yellow color.

She loves the colour mate; not the car.

Thais seem to prefer the most hideous of colours, as you see orange painted walls; bright blue roof panels, l green boundary walls.................and my favourite monstrosity that lime green Nissan March.

....and then you see them with old men............just goes to show they have no taste whatsoever.

Hey mate. Are you jealous of my eye catching old Benz? Do you want to be the only eye catcher out there?

• Like 1

Why buy used when depreciation is so low here. Spend a bit more and have piece of mind.

depreciation is so low here on tin cans, faceless boxes..

Buy something nice for 400,000 baht which cost 2 million baht just a few years before...

Different Thread a guy has lost over 800,000 in 3 years on a Volvo, so if he wanted a faceless base tin can he could have bought 2 new ones just on the depreciation..

I would like a small SUV a Audi Q5 but @ 3.9 million, will wait a few years and buy second hand

Why buy used when depreciation is so low here. Spend a bit more and have piece of mind.

depreciation is so low here on tin cans, faceless boxes..

Buy something nice for 400,000 baht which cost 2 million baht just a few years before...

Different Thread a guy has lost over 800,000 in 3 years on a Volvo, so if he wanted a faceless base tin can he could have bought 2 new ones just on the depreciation..

I would like a small SUV a Audi Q5 but @ 3.9 million, will wait a few years and buy second hand

You seem to be quite educated on the subject. Would you be so kind and provide me with a few suggestions regarding to buying a used car with low mileage and in good condition. I have questions in mind like: which brands are good in terms of reliability, easy service and hassle free parts changing if needed? I need a reliable car for city use mostly, sometimes long distance. I dont like those tiny chick cars like the Nissan Tiida, I prefer bigger ones.

Also, you mentioned earlier that a used car equipped with all the good stuff like leather, ABS etc is possible to find in this price range. Would you make a few suggestions please, which brands or models specifically and what to watch out for?

Thank you very much

I have the Mazda equivalent, Mazda 2 sedan, and it has been a great car and will hold four adults with luggage no problem.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am sure it is a good car for some......

I can only say what car's are good for me and what I can fit into and drive in comfort.. so for me a Mazda 2 would have to move the front seat runners back = difficult to get into = now a 3 seat er and as they only have 4 door models the pillar is in the way, easier if was a 3 door hatch but not in Thailand..

every one is different in what they like in a car........ + many are above/below a normal Thai size, some of us in old age are not as flexible in movements anymore, at 1.89 [6.3"] some 118 kg, size 47 shoes = I am twice the size, height and weight of a lot of Thais, besides the car A6 Audi, I have a Mazda BT 50 Hi-Racer +, and yes the seat runners have been moved back so front seat rest on the rear seats and still I cannot stretch out my legs if I wanted to !! [Maybe wait for a Mazda 1 and remove the drivers seat all together ?]

For a second hand car, I started at the top of a road, visiting every Tent, [6 km each way of dealers and tents] then came back to all on the other side, took 3 days, narrowed my choice down.. then tried to find the best car For Sale, the Audi was not anywhere near the top of my list, but at the time was the best and was well below my budget.

..Like.......Someone said in a post before a Nissan March, we did look my Partner is 105 kg, simple we could not fit in a March, but could in a Tiida,

As an idea 350,000 - 400,000 baht http://www.one2car.com/search/search_result.aspx?price1=350000&price2=400000 3,990 cars/trucks For Sale in this price range !!!

remember these are car Tents so more expensive then Private sales or some other car sales sites here, but gives an idea and within a price range... the only problem is that very good car that is @ 405,000 baht will not show..

Edited by ignis