Looking for a used car

A1Str8

Anyone has an opinion about the Ford Fiesta, 2011-2012 model?

Or does anybody own it and able to provide me with some insight?

Thank you

I am in exactly the same position as you, I have just applied for finance on a Ford Fiesta 1.6S ......albeit with a 50% deposit....looks a nice car.....still in two minds whether to buy it even if finance is agreed.

Still considering waiting and buying 2nd hand and pay cash for around 400k-500k and save a few quid. Also, factor in what is going on in the Thai car market and makes me a bit hesitant to buy new at the moment.

Thank you

I am in exactly the same position as you, I have just applied for finance on a Ford Fiesta 1.6S ......albeit with a 50% deposit....looks a nice car.....still in two minds whether to buy it even if finance is agreed.

Still considering waiting and buying 2nd hand and pay cash for around 400k-500k and save a few quid. Also, factor in what is going on in the Thai car market and makes me a bit hesitant to buy new at the moment.

The way I see it is that if I have the money to buy something, in this case a car then I dont hesitate and I buy it. If I need financing and I cannot pay by cash that simply means I cannot afford it so there is no way I am going to buy it as I would never buy something I cannot afford. When you do so, you become a slave of one of the financial institutions. Just look at thais. The government embraces them to get financing, get loans, get credit and end up in depts. They dont seem to be smart enough to see clearly and most of them are waist deep in depts. They drive brand new cars but half year later the bank takes it back. They have the newest iphone but they didn't pay for it because they can't even afford it. They pay monthly. And the list is endless.

In my opinion only think about spending the money that is yours. Forget the bank's money. It's not yours. Yes it is there for the taking and they let you borrow it because it's big business for them. For them, not for you. But it's just my two cents.

Whatever car you buy, I wish the best and good luck.

• Like 1

Actually, now is a great time to buy used cars. The Thai government was offering subsidies to first time car buyers in thailand, The result was predictable: once the benefit from the subsidies ran out, the buyers couldn't afford to make their payments and the cars were repossessed. So there is a glut of lightly used cars on the market. There have been several articles about this in various news sources.

• Like 1

Thank you

The way I see it is that if I have the money to buy something, in this case a car then I dont hesitate and I buy it. If I need financing and I cannot pay by cash that simply means I cannot afford it so there is no way I am going to buy it as I would never buy something I cannot afford. When you do so, you become a slave of one of the financial institutions. Just look at thais. The government embraces them to get financing, get loans, get credit and end up in depts. They dont seem to be smart enough to see clearly and most of them are waist deep in depts. They drive brand new cars but half year later the bank takes it back. They have the newest iphone but they didn't pay for it because they can't even afford it. They pay monthly. And the list is endless.

In my opinion only think about spending the money that is yours. Forget the bank's money. It's not yours. Yes it is there for the taking and they let you borrow it because it's big business for them. For them, not for you. But it's just my two cents.

I understand what you are saying, but I don't know why this statement crops up so often in Thailand.

In the west the majority by far, buy their cars through finance companies or the bank.

Hi me and the wife move to chaing mai

In November looking for a second hand pick up space cab which are the best ones for repairs and servicing as in the uk I have all ford cars and vans

In terms of repairs and service the best brands are Toyota and Isuzu.

• Like 1

Thank you

I understand what you are saying, but I don't know why this statement crops up so often in Thailand.

In the west the majority by far, buy their cars through finance companies or the bank.

In my opinion it comes up as often as it does in the West. It's just that the vast majority of people tend to ignore it.

Thank you

For what its worth I read an article the other day that said in the last 5 years Thai Household debt had risen 45 %.My Bank Manager recently inferred the same trend. Thais seem to want new houses ,not second hand, and the lure of a new car seems a very powerful force. Students buy a new motor bike on a ridiculously small deposit and so it goes on. "Second hand" seems a cultural no-no here.

• Like 1

For what its worth I read an article the other day that said in the last 5 years Thai Household debt had risen 45 %.My Bank Manager recently inferred the same trend. Thais seem to want new houses ,not second hand, and the lure of a new car seems a very powerful force. Students buy a new motor bike on a ridiculously small deposit and so it goes on. "Second hand" seems a cultural no-no here.

Sort of, but is yes and no...... buy 2nd hand price is high, interest rate is high...... so many new cars come with free insurance, tax, low deposit and low interest rates often up to 84 months = monthly payment on brand new are lower than buying a 5 year old car...

Houses well just read some of the bill board outside new projects, eg: some i have seen, voucher for 200,000 baht of furniture, voucher for small car, Land tax and fees paid, down payment very small, some I do not understand but some sort of deal.. don't see deals outside 2nd houses..

For what its worth I read an article the other day that said in the last 5 years Thai Household debt had risen 45 %.My Bank Manager recently  inferred the same trend. Thais seem to want new houses ,not second hand, and the lure of a new car seems a very powerful force. Students buy a new motor bike on a ridiculously small deposit and so it goes on. "Second hand" seems a cultural no-no here.

That's true.

Thank you

What about if you want to buy a house in your home country?

BTW, I can afford to buy cash, but would rather not....would rather keep my savings for other uses and use my income can pay for the finance. Also, I am not Thai and am not waist deep in debt....so no worries!

If I had not borrowed loads from Banks in my previous life, I would not be in the secure financial position I am in today. Works both ways!

Thank you

What about if you (or anyone in that case) wanted to buy a house in your home country? Cash? Average UK property price around GBP170k!

BTW, I can afford to pay cash but would rather keep my savings/investments for other uses and use my income to service the finance.

If I had not borrowed A LOT from the Banks in my previous life, I would not be in the secure financial position I am in now! I have never felt a 'slave' to a bank.... I saw them as an opportunity!

Just because you borrow money from a financial institution, it does not mean you cannot afford it......well, unless you are "waist deep" in debt!