Phuket Vegetarian Festival

RAZZELL

Hi all

I've been meaning to come and see the Phuket Vegetarian festival for a few years...

I take it the dates are 4th-14th October?

Is this a pretty good guide to what is happening this year...?

http://jamie-monk.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/phuket-vegetarian-festival-2011.html

I particularly want to photograph the piercing rituals...which appear to only take place on the last two days?

Or do they begin on the Monday? And which shrine is the busiest?

Many thanks wai.gif

RAZZ

It's one of the best festivals in Phuket. Definitely worth of visiting. Wear white clothes if possible, everybody else does.

There is lot's of things happening all around the island, but the best locations are in Phuket town.

Jui tui temple etc.

Food itself is nothing special, but everything else is.

Here is quite a lot of information about the festival as well as schedule (page 12 onwards).

You are only supposed to wear white if you are actively vegetarian at the time. And NO BOOM BOOM either. giggle.gif

I guess it's so, but it's also nice to blend into the crowd.

The parades with piercing are early in the morning through Phuket town. They are organized temple by temple. Each temple parades once and each of them have their own parade route. They usually start around the 3rd day, usually 7:30AM. The biggest is by Jui Tui, the main Chinese temple in Phuket Town. The last day of the festival there are no morning parades but an evening parade in which each temple parades their god through the streets of Phuket town. If you want to worship the god, you will throw fire crackers at it. The finale is before midnight with the closing ceremony for the festival. The festival is over at midnight, at which time many people have a party in Phuket town. Traffic in town is almost paralyzed during any of the parades and parking is very limited.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can't see the fascination of gawping at some people who must have some severe mental issues to mutilate themselves in such a way at these festivals.

Not to be encouraged imo.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Anyone going to the piercings tomorrow morning?

Went years ago. Made me almost sick. Never been back.

Is it really that bad??

Can't seem to find out where the piercings take place tomorrow morning sad.png

After you pass into Phuket (i remember you lived 10min away) drive to Phuket town, Main temple is Jui Tui Shrine not far from the Fresh Market in Phuket Town..

There is lot's of other things happening than just the piercing. Many evening events and plenty, plenty of people.

This year the weather doesn't seem to be very good. Then again, when thinking in positive way. While everybody are dressed in white, it's practically wet t-shirt festival this year.

I was trying to take my daughter to dance practice, got caught in a traffic jam, then lost her in the huge crowd on Phuket Road this morning as we tried to walk to her school.

It's a pretty scary feeling to lose an 8-year-old in a place where endless scores of people are not only armed, but covered in blood and mutilating themselves and lighting off firecrackers. They are quite literally out of their minds.

Fortunately I found her after a few minutes, thanks to the fact that she has a mobile phone. She was crying like crazy and I was freaking out with anger that she didn't stick right with me as ordered.

I hate to see kids exposed to all this kind of nonsense, but it's even worse when their physical welfare is put in jeopardy.

I have had enough VegFest to last a lifetime, but if you do feel the need to witness it I recommend leaving the kids home.

I love these kind of festivals. Something which can not be seen in the west.

Sub: Sorry to hear that you had bad moments. It might really be a good idea to leave kids to home. Or at least protect them from all the firecrackers.

It would be nice to know how many little firecrackers they are exploding during one day. I guess it would be close to a million or so.

The way their eyes roll back into their head - they have to be high on something.

Possibly or just deranged. Self harmers should not be paraded at a religious festival for the entertainment of others.

The way their eyes roll back into their head - they have to be high on something.

Possibly or just deranged. Self harmers should not be paraded at a religious festival for the entertainment of others.

Come on. Cant there be a little bit more positive attitudes. If you want gay mardi gras, ferris wheels and ferry floss go back home. Remember TIT