Soi Dogs

IrishIvan

I am honestly sick to death of them. After being woken up for the 3rd time this week from their stupid barking I took it upon my self to scon one in the head with my hand made shanghai and a lead sinker. Farang 1-soi dog-0

Badly behaved dogs are a diret reflection of their owners

• Like 2

Excellent idea, let's have another hate thread. No doubt the haters would be around shortly to spew more venom and make you feel great about yourself

Why play the man and not the ball? Maybe you don't like the ideas expressed in op, but the content doesn't necessarily lend itself to hatred. It is true dogs here are often a source of annoyance, and in some cases danger to humans who happen to be harmlessly passing by. If someone feels a need to vent, let 'em. And maybe some reasonable suggestions may come in.

I have been a animal lover for most of my life.

got my self a few dogs of my own to,,, I must admit they do tend to bark a lot,,, but it always seems to be when.

(1) People are driving up my soi late at night,, on motor bikes

(2) People are walking up my soi late at night,,, Normally drunken Thai males.

These are 2 good enough reason,,, to have a few soi dogs around the house.. They are only barking beacuse they are protecting there territory

Edited by welsh1
  • Like 2

Would ear plugs be a sensible option?

No, dogs barking easily penetrate the protection of earplugs, even custom made that I tried. I guess you would need to invest in powered noise cancellation from the likes of Bose, don't know how efficient they are in cancelling the noise from loud barking

Edited by simple1

There we go. Everyone but the dog owners should take measures to deal with the issue. Fence your own property while the dog owners don't have to.

You do realise I don't mean ear plugs for the dogs?

I assume that's joke.

Judging by your other thread, why not go buy them a nice home and fenced off area to play in, you seem to like spending money, or perhaps I should ask your gik to tell you to do it? Be no problem then would it, you could buy pet insurance for them too, to treat the wounds you inflict on them.

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 1

There we go. Everyone but the dog owners should take measures to deal with the issue. Fence your own property while the dog owners don't have to.

You do realise I don't mean ear plugs for the dogs?

I assume that's joke.

Do you feel fencing by dog owners will stop the barking problem?

Bookman, it would probably reduce it but the other problems are disease and injury. That's the main reason why they should be penned, fenced or removed completely.

One other way to stop night time barking is to fire a round into the ground at home. They shut up and disappear, for a day or two anyway.

Irish Ivan - How long was the shot, and was it from an elevated position? 

Maybe get some local stones - fishing sinkers are a bit of a giveaway. Posted Image

About 25 meters. It was elevated by about 3meters. Good idea about the pebbles but the fact is a lead sinker is so perfectly weighted and sized. I thought the noise would give me away the crack was so loud.

• Like 1

I have been a animal lover for most of my life.

got my self a few dogs of my own to,,, I must admit they do tend to bark a lot,,, but it always seems to be when.

(1) People are driving up my soi late at night,, on motor bikes

(2) People are walking up my soi late at night,,, Normally  drunken Thai males.

These are 2 good enough reason,,, to have a few soi dogs around the house.. They are only barking beacuse they are protecting there territory 

I have no problem with sconning drunks or annoying motorbike drivers with a well placed lead sinker.

• Like 2

Judging by your other thread, why not go buy them a nice home and fenced off area to play in, you seem to like spending money, or perhaps I should ask your gik to tell you to do it? Be no problem then would it, you could buy pet insurance for them too, to treat the wounds you inflict on them.

Giks give me pleasure. Soi dogs do not. The fact is they along with cats should be steralised or euthanised. The same way they are dealt with in the west.

Thais have a bad habit of not taking responsibility when they aquire pets. The Mai Ben Rai attitude is shocking. It also affects local wild life population. Have you noticed yhere are barely any birds in Thailand? I have also witnessed plenty of incidents of soi dogs in my neighbourhood chasing the neighbours. Biting kids, spreading rubbish and plastic around the community.

• Like 1

One of our neighbours bought two small pups that might have been pedigree. For a couple of weeks she kept them at home and walked them on leads to the local shop. After that, presumably when the novelty wore off, they were left to roam the soi amongst the bigger dogs. Then they disappeared. Her next dog was a typical mongrel. It was left out all the time and joined the pack. It made the mistake of invading our land with the others and joined those who left the soi permanently. I don't know whether it was the surviving dogs or their owners who learned the lesson but we have had no trouble since.

We have quite a lot of birds on our land despite two cats living here. I think that any local shortage is down to the humans with nets rather than cats.

Giks give me pleasure. Soi dogs do not. The fact is they along with cats should be steralised or euthanised. The same way they are dealt with in the west.

Thais have a bad habit of not taking responsibility when they aquire pets. The Mai Ben Rai attitude is shocking. It also affects local wild life population. Have you noticed yhere are barely any birds in Thailand? I have also witnessed plenty of incidents of soi dogs in my neighbourhood chasing the neighbours. Biting kids, spreading rubbish and plastic around the community.

Ever considered moving to a better neighbourhood??whistling.gif Maybe spend a little more on rent, instead of paying insurance for your giks family?

Anyone ever heard a Thai complain about noisy dogs?

Ever considered moving to a better neighbourhood??Posted Image Maybe spend a little more on rent, instead of paying insurance  for your giks family?

Anyone ever heard a Thai complain about noisy dogs?

Thais are the worst noise polluters on the planet. I wont be spending more on rent while I have my shanghai

• Like 1

My neighbor's bitch was deep in heat last week. Every night for four nights at least 20 to 30 dogs from neighboring houses, would congregate at her house and get in serious, knock-down drag out fights. One dog expired from battle wounds, others were chased in front of cars and motorbikes. No one came looking for their "pet."

Let me tell you, OP, the sound produced by two dozen horny hounds is unbelievable. Barking, snarling, yelping and howling.

When I talked to the neighbor about it the first morning, she claimed it wasn't her bitch. Oh, no, stupid farang!

She said the dogs saw ghosts.

Edited by HeijoshinCool
  • Like 1

My neighbor's bitch was deep in heat last week. Every night for four nights at least 20 to 30 dogs from neighboring houses, would congregate at her house and get in serious, knock-down drag out fights. One dog expired from battle wounds, others were chased in front of cars and motorbikes. No one came looking for their "pet."

Let me tell you, OP, the sound produced by two dozen horny hounds is unbelievable. Barking, snarling, yelping and howling.

When I talked to the neighbor about it the first morning, she claimed it wasn't her bitch. Oh, no, stupid farang!

She said the dogs saw ghosts.

Seems like many here are afraid to admit soi dogs are a BIG problem for anyone with an ounce of common sense, sadly that removes many Thais out of the discussion, and it seems many foreigners too!!

• Like 1