Phuket transport council agrees to 36% jump in taxi fares

webfact

Phuket transport council agrees to 36% jump in taxi fares
Phuket Gazette

tra.jpg
Phuket Vice Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada said that the proposed fare hikes should not interfere with the campaign against taxi drivers who cheat passengers. Photo: Irfarn Jamdukor

PHUKET: -- The ruling committee for Phuket’s public transportation authorities today agreed to price hikes of up to 36 per cent for metered taxi fares in Phuket.

Phuket Vice Governor Chamroen Tipayapongtada, who chaired the meeting of the provincial transportation committee, explained that the proposed increases in taxi fares were the same as those proposed at a meeting on August 29 (story here).

“The first two kilometers will cost 50 baht per kilometer. Then, up to 15 kilometers, the rate is 12 baht per kilometer. Beyond 15 kilometers, the charge will be 10 baht per kilometer.

“At present, the price for the first two kilometers is set at 50 baht per kilometer. Then, up to 22 kilometers, the rate is seven baht per kilometer. Beyond 22 kilometers, the charge is six baht per kilometer,” he explained.

Phuket Land Transport Department (PLTO) Chief Terayout Prasertphol pointed out that the proposed fares represented a 36 per cent jump in the rates currently charged by metered taxis.

However, he added, “Even though the new fares will be more expensive than what metered taxis currently charge, they will still be about 30 per cent cheaper than what non-metered taxis in Phuket are charging their passengers.”

Mr Terayout also explained that in addition to the price increases, standard fees for picking up passengers will be established.

“Passengers taking taxis from the airport, any piers and Phuket Bus Terminal 2 will have to pay more for hiring a taxi. It will cost 100 baht at the airport, and 50 baht at the pier and the bus terminal,” he explained.

“Passengers who call to have a taxi pick them up will be charged a 50-baht fee. This fee will increase to 150 baht for pickups between midnight and 5am,” he said.

Mr Terayout noted that the proposed fare increases must still be approved by senior officials at the Department of Land Transport headquarters in Bangkok.

“We expect the new fares to come into effect in January,” he said.

Asadakorn Seedokbuab, a vice president at the Phuket Chamber of Commerce, voiced his support for the price increase.

“The new fares were calculated by factoring in the current cost of living and the price of fuel. They can help drivers earn enough money,” he said.

Sarayuth Mallam, a vice president at the Phuket Tourist Association, added that Phuket taxi drivers could seize the opportunity to present a more professional image to tourists visiting the island.

“I would like all taxi drivers to wear the same attractive uniform. Something similar to what Phuket’s metered taxi drivers already wear. They present a good image for Phuket,” he said.

Vice Governor Chamroen highlighted that clearly communicating the standard fares to all potential passengers was of highest importance.

“We have to make sure signs explaining the fares to tourists are posted in important places, such as at the airport, the piers and the bus terminal,” he said.

“We also have to continue to have teams of officers taking action against taxi drivers who cheat passengers,” he added.

PLTO Chief Terayout also explained that his office was working with officials at Phuket Airport to re-organize taxi service for passengers using Phuket’s critical tourism portal.

“Non-metered taxis will only be allowed to drop off passengers at the airport. They will not be allowed to pick up passengers there. We hope this will encourage all taxis to become metered taxis,” he explained.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-transport-council-agrees-to-36-jump-in-taxi-fares-22331.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-09-25

A "36% jump in taxi fares" would be a joke - except they are serious.

Just how much tourists are they going to allow the transport debarcle on Phuket to turn away, before they realise it's killing this place?

Prices will go up in the future, yet again, as the new demographic of tourists use coach buses, and the wedges of the traditional western market transport pie get thinner and thinner.

Edited by NamKangMan

>>“Non-metered taxis will only be allowed to drop off passengers at the airport. They will not be allowed to pick up passengers there. We hope this will encourage all taxis to become metered taxis,” he explained.

Agree with madmitch, but I'm sure there's an exclusion for the "airport limos" which pay a handsome amount each month to the AOT ( and others most likely) to have the concession from the airport. This " no pick ups allowed" Is probably referring to the multitude of black taxis, which will be enforced randomly.

The last paragraph is almost an aside, but is potentially the most far-reaching airport taxi proposal that we've heard.

I can't see this happening without major protests from all taxi groups that operate at the airport.

Yes, that would be excellent.

Can you now flag down a metered taxi like you can just about anywhere else? I am sure not in Patong but what about elsewhere on the island? This would certainly help to make public transport more convenient but that seems to be the last thing on the minds of the authorities.

Can you now flag down a metered taxi like you can just about anywhere else? I am sure not in Patong but what about elsewhere on the island? This would certainly help to make public transport more convenient but that seems to be the last thing on the minds of the authorities.

According to the news source that can not be mentioned there will be 400 green plate taxi's converted to meter taxi's. And with a fixed fee for pickups on other places on the island the door to 'pick up anywhere' is slowly, slowly opening.

So here's a few questions about this

1) How long will they use the meter until all drivers don't use them and quote the flat rate that simon43 relatives say they have to quote?

2) How long until black plate taxis once again join queues at the airport for pickups even though only supposedly taxi meters can do this?

3) How many people think that meter taxis will be allowed by the local transport mafia to pick up passengers without being hassled?

4) How effective will these call centres actually be and will they be located in logical and sensible pick up locations?

5) Exactly why is the island not like in BKK where licensed drivers can pick up passengers anywhere at the given taxi meter rate ( rhetorical question, we all know why)

6) Why are the rates so much more in Phuket than BKK, as fuel is the same, food is nearly the same price, and cost of living for a local is virtually the same and why does the central government allow this?

7) Why do the taxi queue bosses make so much money and why don't all the normal tax paying law abiding taxi drivers overthrow these thugs?

• Like 1

At the end of the day, it's about US - the user.

Are we going to continue to be part of the 'now now' society, with no patience, and demand a straight run to the airport, or wherever?

Or, are we going to use what public transport there is, with it's connections and extra time needed?

I'm in the latter group. More than happy to take extra time, change onto the Airport Bus in Phuket Town : Rawai to Airport, regularly for less than 500 baht. Of course, need more overall time, but plenty of time to relax with music / read a book.

Like anything, if there's fewer and fewer customers, that particular service will eventually die. If you continue to buy the original product, when alternatives are there, then don't complain when those alternatives are the ones that die, and the original product gets stronger.

• Like 1

Still not bad,compared with Europe.smile.png

Where in Europe? as most European cities have public transport as an alternative! How many locals Thai or otherwise earn Euros?

Its a legalised rort! They have as much admitted so, by saying well its still cheaper than the rest. WHAT rubbish - just back from a trip to BKK and its all back into perspective.

• Like 1

I caught a cab in Australia the other day , from the airport to my Oz home is 4kms. The price was $15.00 around 450 baht. Thai taxis are cheap!

a thai taxi and a phuket taxi,........not same same !

not all is what it seems ,......this is gradually paving the way for all taxis in phuket to be metered in the near future without the governers/BIB having to take too much of a % reduction , ...phukets near future is russian and aussie , the ruskies being the overall number 1, as most of us have had enough of them already , also thailands long term future lies with the chinese/ russians IMO , .......and they are welcome to them, and good luck learning the language of your new guests , should be a walk in the park compared to English ,....happy landings !.........bye bye .

PS. WARNING ;; stay away from phuket , 1 mistake is all it takes to ruin your life

• Like 1

Tour groups seem to be far ahead in the type of visitors to Thailand (not only Phuket), such as Chinese, Korean etc.

These groups use their own contracted buses, stay in contracted hotels and go on pre-arranged contracted tours with their own contracted buses and minivans.

That leaves the genuine 'tourist' - finding his own way to Phuket, booking his own hotel and deciding what tours to go on when he arrives here.

As it's impossible to 'muscle in' on the tour groups, then the only people they can screw are the individual tourists, at the mercy of touts, rogues and the local transport 'associations'.

Those who have no knowledge or choice have little option, pay the price or walk.

Lets screw the visitors now, who cares if they come back next year. I need money today, will worry about next year:- next year.

People continue to go to Phuket but many are '1st timers' who love the scenery and attractions - but after experiencing the extortionate pricing and ridiculous transport infrastructure - I wonder how many return year after year?

I have been there many times starting since 1985. The visits are getting fewer and fewer as I have seen it constantly shooting itself in the foot, year after year.

At the end of the day, it's about US - the user.

Are we going to continue to be part of the 'now now' society, with no patience, and demand a straight run to the airport, or wherever?

Or, are we going to use what public transport there is, with it's connections and extra time needed?

I'm in the latter group. More than happy to take extra time, change onto the Airport Bus in Phuket Town : Rawai to Airport, regularly for less than 500 baht. Of course, need more overall time, but plenty of time to relax with music / read a book.

Like anything, if there's fewer and fewer customers, that particular service will eventually die. If you continue to buy the original product, when alternatives are there, then don't complain when those alternatives are the ones that die, and the original product gets stronger.

I am with you, it is optional for me to use their services, I do not travel with the wife or girl friend and my luggage is only 13 to 14 kgs and I am graduating to a backpack at Christmas as it is easier for the stairs which are all too common in Asia.

I research the airport transfer options and as I am still very fit, I look for accommodation near Public Transport and use it.

I sympathise with those who for whatever reason cannot do these things but the vast majority of us can and if we did, we may find it becomes a "buyers market?"

Using technology to ascertain the distance and probable route on my Smartphone prior to engaging a taxi or Tuk Tuk give me half a chance to negotiate a reasonable fare and smiling during negotiation is just good manners, caveat emptor.

Much of what I have written needs to be read in the context of living in Isaan and rarely needing to negotiate the terro$ist fleshpots/cesspools, I rarely need to deal with the really evil and corrupt the colonise these places.

But this is not Europe, where most things are more expensive.

Better to compare with BKK, if you do will you still not think, it's not bad.

To put some numbers on that comparison:

Phuket Bangkok

1 km 50B 35B

2 km 100B 40B

3 km 112B 45B

4 km 124B 50B

5 km 136B 55B

10 km 196B 80B

15 km 256B 107B

20 km 306B 134B

30 km 406B 194B

Sophon

• Like 1

Phuket Bangkok

1 km 50B 35B

2 km 100B 40B

3 km 112B 45B

4 km 124B 50B

5 km 136B 55B

10 km 196B 80B

15 km 256B 107B

20 km 306B 134B

30 km 406B 194B

Sophon

Thanks & thats not to mention the risk of being attacked is much lower!

Phuket Bangkok

1 km 50B 35B

2 km 100B 40B

3 km 112B 45B

4 km 124B 50B

5 km 136B 55B

10 km 196B 80B

15 km 256B 107B

20 km 306B 134B

30 km 406B 194B

Sophon

More than double the price for the same service.

Now, consider it's 200 baht for a Phuket tuk-tuk for a 1 km journey, the equivalent of a 30 km air conditioned taxi ride in Bangkok, and that really puts the Phuket transport rip off into perspective.

It's a disgrace.

Edited by NamKangMan