Any Americans in Thailand giving up US citizenship ?

roamer

Why are Americans giving up their citizenship?

By Tom GeogheganBBC News, Washington

_70135271_passports2_think624.jpg

The number of Americans giving up their citizenship has rocketed this year - partly, it's thought, because of a new tax law that is frustrating many ex-pats.

Goodbye, US passport.

That's not a concept that Americans contemplate lightly. But it's one that many of them seem to be considering - and acting on.

The number of expatriates renouncing their US citizenship surged in the second quarter of 2013, compared with the same period the year before - 1,131 cases to 189 in 2012. It's still a small proportion of the estimated six million Americans abroad, but it's a significant rise.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24135021

Anyone in LOS thinking along these lines ?

Edited by roamer

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's the big deal? US taxes aren't high, and they are easy to do. There is a company that makes software called TurboTax which will do your taxes question by question style. It covers everything AFAIK. It takes me about an hour to get my stuff together, and about an hour to run TurboTax. Then I file electronically.

I think TurboTax costs about $25 or $30. Install it, run it, and it goes step by step until complete. Many professional tax return places use it.

$5,000 for a tax return? Licensed tax preparers aren't attorneys although some CPA's do taxes for the rich.

I would never give up my citizenship. There are too many benefits and not nearly all of them financial.

After I give all of my money to a bar girl, it's a place to call home, haha. thumbsup.gif

Never.

• Like 2

whistling.gif We went through this before with a topic started by a another person who wanted to give up his U.S. citizenship.

In case anyone does want that he or she better do some serious research on the internet or better still contact a U.S. tax lawyer with experience in this matter.

Believe me, I'm far from an expert, but giving up your U.S. citizenship could cost you a LOT of money depending on what property(s) you own in the U.S. in taxes.

From what I read some months ago someone giving up their U.S. citizenship CAN be liable for a large amount in their last 5 years tax bill .... known to some as a "exit tax".

Before you do anything, you should get a U.S. tax lawyer to look into this.

The IRS laws on this are complicated and if you do decide to give up your U.S. citizenship, BEFORE you do it have a long discussion with a U.S. Tax lawyer.

I am NOT an expert, but what little I read before when this topic came up scared me off,

There can be a hefty financial penalty for giving up your U.S. citizenship.

It's NOT a trivial matter.

Not to mention as another poster has said .... if you do give up your U.S. citizenship without another nationality to fall back on .... you are effectively stateless when that happens.

That means without a passport and unable to travel.

whistling.gif

A new law called the Foreign Accounts Tax Compliance Act (Fatca) will, from 1 July next year, require all financial institutions around the world to report directly to the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS) all the assets and incomes of any US citizens with $50,000 (£31,000) on their books. The US could withhold 30% of dividends and interest payments due to the banks that don't comply.

So you split your assets up among a variety of banks in Thailand and never let a balance exceed 50 k usd so the banks report nothing...it would be wise to have several accounts anyway since eventually the Thai version of FDIC only insures each bank account up to 1 million baht.....unless you are a very wealthy person I don't see the problem. As for spending 5000 usd to pay someone to file your taxes then somebody is either very lazy, dumb, or rich. As previous poster said there are all kinds of tax software programs available.

Can't imagine giving up my usa citizenship and unlike someone in the article who says she doesn't know any Americans who are NOT considering it I frankly don't know any who ARE considering.

• Like 2

whistling.gif We went through this before with a topic started by a another person who wanted to give up his U.S. citizenship.

In case anyone does want that he or she better do some serious research on the internet or better still contact a U.S. tax lawyer with experience in this matter.

Believe me, I'm far from an expert, but giving up your U.S. citizenship could cost you a LOT of money depending on what property(s) you own in the U.S. in taxes.

From what I read some months ago someone giving up their U.S. citizenship CAN be liable for a large amount in their last 5 years tax bill .... known to some as a "exit tax".

The IRS laws on this are complicated and if you do decide to give up your U.S. citizenship, BEFORE you do it have a long discussion with a U.S. Tax lawyer.

I am NOT an expert, but what little I read before when this topic came up scared me off,

Not to mention as another poster has said .... if you do give up your U.S. citizenship without another nationality to fall back on .... you are effectively stateless when that happens.

whistling.gif

I suppose it's like anything else - - depends on how you do it. Can you not divest yourself of all assets in USA, put the money in your pocket and just leave ?

• Like 1

guys with green card who relinquished it...

Giving up PR in a country and giving up citizenship are two very different things...PR/green card can easy be relinquished. one just leaves the particular country for a pre-determined period of time (in most cases) and you lose your PR status automatically anyway

whistling.gif

I suppose it's like anything else - - depends on how you do it. Can you not divest yourself of all assets in USA, put the money in your pocket and just leave ?

Looking around, apparently so.

And one can not demand to give up their citizenship anywhere. They have to ask nicely. It must be done in a foreign country, and the U.S. embassy official can say, nope, you're ours.

whistling.gif

Looking around, apparently so.

And one can not demand to give up their citizenship anywhere. They have to ask nicely. It must be done in a foreign country, and the U.S. embassy official can say, nope, you're ours.

I am assuming that the bounder has an alternative nationality available to them, because becoming stateless in a country that has no common language or social welfare system would be extremely foolish

What's the big deal? US taxes aren't high, and they are easy to do. There is a company that makes software called TurboTax which will do your taxes question by question style. It covers everything AFAIK. It takes me about an hour to get my stuff together, and about an hour to run TurboTax. Then I file electronically.

I think TurboTax costs about $25 or $30. Install it, run it, and it goes step by step until complete. Many professional tax return places use it.

$5,000 for a tax return? Licensed tax preparers aren't attorneys although some CPA's do taxes for the rich.

Let me put this into perspective for you. H&R block charge about $250 for the most basic tax return with basic W2 form salary only. If you have other forms of income and need to file extra forms the rates go up.

My own situation, for last year is married dual status filing seperately with investments outside of USA. Filing FBAR and 8938 forms with reporting of foreign financial accounts. Then all of a sudden very few "licensed tax preparers" want to even try to file this and you basically need to hire a CPA. Prices suddenly go higher. (No Turbo tax doesn't work for dual status filing either.)

Now that's trying to file your taxes inside the USA. Try finding a person that is an expert in US taxes when you don't live in the USA, then rates to do relatively simple US tax returns when in other countries shoot much higher still. $5000 would seem within reason given the complexity for people with Non-US income and assets.

Taxes are not exactly low either - with SS and Medicare - but it's not about being rich and avoiding taxes at all. For example I have bank accounts and brokerage and investment accounts outside of the USA (I'm not from America so this is not an unusual situation for many new green cardholders) but it become very complex in trying to report correctly, especially when you need to have records for something which was never required in other countries for tax. Capital gains is one example as Thailand doesn't tax it, so record keeping is not needed all of a sudden becomes required.

Another is that the foreign income tax documents are based off of different tax year cycles

For example USA and Thailand is based on the calendar year Jan to Dec, but other countries like Australia is from July to June. Then it becomes a major headache filing taxes to the IRS with incomplete info and using estimates of income.

Sure USA is great and I'm glad your tax returns are easy. But don't assume everyone complaining is a rich person evading taxes. It's far from the reality and I can see why people don't want this stress each and every year.

But on a final note, the few people giving up US citizenship is miniscule to the numbers of people immigrating to america each year.

Edited by Time Traveller

A new law called the Foreign Accounts Tax Compliance Act (Fatca) will, from 1 July next year, require all financial institutions around the world to report directly to the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS) all the assets and incomes of any US citizens with $50,000 (£31,000) on their books. The US could withhold 30% of dividends and interest payments due to the banks that don't comply.

So you split your assets up among a variety of banks in Thailand and never let a balance exceed 50 k usd so the banks report nothing...it would be wise to have several accounts anyway since eventually the Thai version of FDIC only insures each bank account up to 1 million baht.....unless you are a very wealthy person I don't see the problem. As for spending 5000 usd to pay someone to file your taxes then somebody is either very lazy, dumb, or rich. As previous poster said there are all kinds of tax software programs available.

Can't imagine giving up my usa citizenship and unlike someone in the article who says she doesn't know any Americans who are NOT considering it I frankly don't know any who ARE considering.

I have just read the "Summary of FATCA Reporting for US Taxpayer" pdf file and it is not a balance exceeding 50K but the aggregate value of more than the reporting threshold of 50K that has to be reported. So dividing up the assets in different accounts is not going to get around the FATCA rules

Summary of FATCA Reporting for US Taxpayer.pdf

Edited by puyaidon
  • Like 1

Been in usa recently and felt miserable. Same as thai people. They don't like the usa, food is poor, culture Is weak and most usa people are clueless. Seem their brain is not really working at 100%. They accept anything we throw at them. Amazing to see at what point they have been brainwashed by materialism and capitalist endoctrinments. Have you tried to speak to them? Very hard to communicate.... It s all "dude, cool, awesome, yeah, duh!" I don't know but I feel better in thailand than being a poor soul in the usa. Walmart and shopping mall just suck.... And where are the good paid US jobs? In China or what? In usa you are nobody, in thailand, you are somebody! http://theeconomiccollapseblog.com

Wow....sounds like you need a babysitter tour guide next time so you can go to better places and meet more interesting people. Of course, like attracts like, so...there is that.

File under "Travelling--You're doing it wrong"

Edited by dao16
  • Like 2

"H&R block charge about $250 for the most basic tax return with basic W2 form salary only." - False. I worked for H&R Block for several years. The return you describe would be free. A married couple with a couple of W2s, who own their home with a mortgage deduction and a couple of kids - it may be that high depending on other stuff.

I am not an H&R Block advocate - I highly recommend TurboTax if possible in your situation - just wanted to straighten out an error.

Cheers.

• Like 1