PM Yingluck advised to hold off on charter amendment bill

webfact

CHARTER AMENDMENT
PM advised to hold off on bill

The Nation

30215827-01_big.jpg?1380323823241
Former prime minister and Chart Thai Pattana Party chief adviser Banharn Silapa-archa, seated, meets Deputy Prime Minister Phongthep Thepkanjana at the party

Abhisit warns that she might be held responsible if Court rules against it

BANGKOK: -- Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday called on the government to delay the charter amendment bill as it was pending outcome of a judicial review.

"Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra should wait instead of risking the consequences by submitting the bill for royal endorsement," he said.

Abhisit explained that Yingluck had 20 days to review the matter after Parliament votes for the final passage of the bill today.

He warned that if Yingluck decides to seek the King's approval, she might end up having to take responsibility if the Constitutional Court ruling says the bill was unconstitutional.

He said he expected the high court to issue a ruling within 20 days, adding that if the judicial review takes longer, then the court might issue instructions on how the bill's submission to the Palace can be delayed.

He also hinted at the chance of a censure debate being launched in November, adding that the debate would likely focus on alleged corruption and incompetence.

Today, Parliament is scheduled to convene and vote on the final passage of the bill, which is designed to turn the Senate into a fully elected upper chamber. The opposition contends that such a transformation is unconstitutional.

Meanwhile, Senator Wicharn Sirichai-Ekawat has issued an open letter calling for the postponement of today's parliamentary vote on the bill. His argument is that such a vote cannot take place before the high court rules on the issue.

Yingluck, meanwhile, has declined to comment on the issue, only saying that she will attend the parliamentary voting session after she has completed inspecting flood-hit areas.

Pheu Thai MP Samart Kaewmechai said the Democrats had no legal basis to try to suspend the vote.

The Constitution's Article 154 prescribes for legislative voting on an Act of Parliament, but the vote in question is related to charter amendment, he said.

"The Democrats are trying in every way to prevent the vote from taking place, but they have no justification," he said, adding that he expected the final passage of the bill by today and that Yingluck would submit it for royal endorsement within 20 days without delay.

Should the judicial review turn out to be unfavourable, then the prime minister could not be held accountable as this was a legislative issue, he said.

Meanwhile, the Constitutional Court yesterday decided to launch its review on two complaints related to the charter-amendment bill.

The complaints, filed separately by senators and by the Democrats, contend that the proponents of the bill were using unconstitutional means to alter the charter's intent.

In their complaint, the senators said Parliament President Somsak Kiatsuranont and Senate President Nikom Wairatpanij had conspired to overthrow the political system. Their argument also referred to the bullying tactics being used to force through a vote that would transform the Senate and scrap elected senators.

The Democrats, meanwhile, charge that Somsak and 312 pro-bill lawmakers are disregarding the prescribed procedures to amend the charter.

The high court voted 5:1 in favour of reviewing the complaints. Judge Chut Chonlaworn, who cast the only dissenting vote, said only the attorney-general had the power to petition for the high court's ruling on the matter.

Meanwhile, the court chose to reject ex-senator Ruangkrai Leekitwattana's complaint, which accused the Democrats of unnecessarily litigating the bill.

All three complaints cited the Constitution's Article 68 as a basis for the judicial review.

The opposition's complaints blame the bill's proponents for trying to change the spirit of the basic law, while Ruangkrai contends the opposition is trying to derail the charter change using unconstitutional means.

The court threw out a fourth complaint on grounds that it cited Article 69 instead of 68.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-09-28

The accompanying photograph to this article fully reminds me why I will never, ever understand so-called 'Thainess'.

Of course, I could say that showing respect to your elders is one thing, but abject toadying, dressed up as Thainess, is another, especially when the senior involved was and is famous for his corrupt, self-serving incompetence.

Or maybe, that is also counted as Thainess.

Who knows?

I thought Yingluck had had a sex change.

CCC

• Like 1

The accompanying photograph to this article fully reminds me why I will never, ever understand so-called 'Thainess'.

Of course, I could say that showing respect to your elders is one thing, but abject toadying, dressed up as Thainess, is another, especially when the senior involved was and is famous for his corrupt, self-serving incompetence.

Who knows?

Thumbnail pic on my phone screen is a bit small and at first glance wondered what on earth was going on between the pair.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

[quote name="arthurboy" post="6868698" timestamp="

Who knows?

Isn't that the definition of Thainess - in political context anyway?

Edited by timewilltell

PM Yingluck will not pay heed to the losers and trouble makers mischievous interference in her lawful execution of her duties.

Does this mean that Yingluck is finally going to ignore her puppet master brother along with the rest of the family and their self serving brown nosing acolytes ?

''Of such things dreams are made.''

PM Yingluck will not pay heed to the losers and trouble makers mischievous interference in her lawful execution of her duties.

Does this mean that Yingluck is finally going to ignore her puppet master brother along with the rest of the family and their self serving brown nosing acolytes ?

''Of such things dreams are made.''

they aren't the losers...they are the winners

Unfortunately some of the executed and planned activities seem to be unlawful too. Thought a government supposed to act within the framework of the law. Changing the constitution requires following certain steps. Not just doing what you please or what the boss tells you,.

Didn't the CC rule that if the government wanted to change the constitution they can make changes but must get voters to approve it by a referendum?

I haven't seen any moves to get that approval so it seems that PTP are dead set on yet another constitutional crisis in their usual dictatorial ways. Filling the senate with family members & cronies seems just too good to let pass.

Without one side backing down this is going to end in tears.

Expect either this to be cranked up to a high level or more likely some smoke filled room deal. The elite still control the important parts of the bureaucracy and the government are still very very popular.

What the government are attempting to do flies in the face of democracy.

The purpose of a Senate is to act as a check and balance, monitoring the government's conduct. Therefore they must be as neutral as possible, especially when they play a role in selecting the members for the independent agencies entrusted with going after corrupt officials.

By doing away with the ban on MP's close relatives running for the Senate, MPs will surely propose their relatives to run. With the party behind the MP and the proposed senator, their financial clout and dominance of the media, the Senate will turn into a rubber stamp for Pheua Tha with its dominance and dictatorship complete.

A very frightening scenario. May the judges save Thailand again.

h90 post # 12

they aren't the losers...they are the winners

Unlike the rest of the population of Thailand who are paying for and will continue to pay for the practices of this puppet government and financing the puppet masters family and their brown nosing acolytes lavish life style

• Like 1

If her administration's actions are deemed to be unlawful then I think we all know who will make up the cast of "losers and trouble makers mischievous interference" (bizarre use of English)