Thai Buddhist group fails to win full backing

webfact

The Five Precepts are the basis of Buddhist morality. The first precept is to avoid killing or harming living beings. The second is to avoid stealing, the third is to avoid sexual misconduct, the fourth is to avoid lying and the fifth is to avoid alcohol and other intoxicating drugs.

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/qanda04.htm

Care to comment, Khun Acharawadee?

There's also the fact that Thailand still has the death penalty. They haven't used it for some time but they haven't got rid of it either. I seem to remember a prominent politician calling for the carrying out of executions to be done more quickly not so long ago and of course one of the main features of action against drugs in the 90s was executions.

I think the problem is that Thais don't actually do Buddhism. They read all the right stuff but never bother to understand it. I tried once but gave up when I realised it was nothing like what I was seeing.

• Like 1

I don't see how Buddha is respected or otherwise in other countries is any business of Thais.

He is not Thai property, he wasn't a Thai and he never even set foot in what is now Thailand and we don't want to see Buddhists go down the Muslim route.

Well said, I fully agree. How many Muslims are disrespectful to all other religions and won't change their attitude whilst earning a living or receiving benefits in countries such as England. Buddhism is rammed down the throats of everyone in Thailand and the populous seem happy to be intoctrinated even at 3am through speakers linked to the temples. The Buddhists should value their chosen religion of course, but don't preach to others about what the can do, or how they make a living.

I also respect the other comment made on this site about the corrupt monks that have been recently exposed. Those that are trying to push this silly motion should be spending their time looking at the corruption within their own faith.

All religions believe that are alone true and all other wrong. That makes them per definition disrespectful to the others who are wrong.

While I agree that everyone should have freedom to express their feelings and beliefs, that freedom should not be mis-used to show disrespect for the beliefs of others. There's no need to throw anyone in prison for it, but many countries already have laws which limit that particular freedom. I believe most decent members of any society generally follow the Golden Rule. Christians would quite understandably be equally offended if the images were of Jesus. However, condemning someone for an offense is neither the Buddhist nor the Christian way. Even Jesus said, "Judge not, lest ye yourselves be judged." Although many people are either unable or unwilling to adhere to their religion's teachings, that doesn't mean the religion is any less right than our own beliefs, nor do its true followers deserve any disrespect. If I find something offensive, I'm probably not following the teachings of my chosen religion very well. I once read somewhere that there are no good or evil people - only people, and also that we should love every living being unconditionally. So, hate the sin, if you must, but love and forgive the sinner.

Edited by Kabayo66

My suggestion to this myopic group of bigots is "Get a Life" You are part of a country that is falling apart at the seams from endless actions contra to Buddhist teachings and there are many more laudable quests that you could embark on. On this issue you are flogging a dead horse.

I don't see how Buddha is respected or otherwise in other countries is any business of Thais.

He is not Thai property, he wasn't a Thai and he never even set foot in what is now Thailand and we don't want to see Buddhists go down the Muslim route.

While I agree with you, people with a limited view can't be blamed so much, especially when the liberal media back home has programmed so many of us to cower at the prospect of saying or illustrating something that makes Muslims go apesh!t.

Really, these fundamental Buddhists are just seeing an opportunity/weakness to play identity politics. Whole fncking world's going to be doing it soon. You can thank overreaching political correctness.

I like where she said she would give up her life to protect against disrespect of Buddha...

Looks like someone is jealous of Islamic radicals, and want a bit of radicalization in Buddhism.

A buddhist willing to give up their own life? I'd ever there could be an exercise in futility surely that would be it..... is it theirs to give up?

If there are people sitting on chairs made in the image of the Buddha's head, and if such a thing is disrespectful to the Buddha (he's not here, so we can't ask him) and if such disrespect attracts bad karma. Then the people doing it will attract that karma to themselves. Why does anyone else need to get involved?

Also, is it possible to attract bad karma for doing something you aren't aware of? I'm fairly sure the chair makers aren't advertising their products as 'sit on Buddha's head, it's a really disrespectful thing to do and will definitely spoil your future lives'

• Like 1

The Five Precepts are the basis of Buddhist morality. The first precept is to avoid killing or harming living beings. The second is to avoid stealing, the third is to avoid sexual misconduct, the fourth is to avoid lying and the fifth is to avoid alcohol and other intoxicating drugs.

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/qanda04.htm

Care to comment, Khun Acharawadee?

There's also the fact that Thailand still has the death penalty. They haven't used it for some time but they haven't got rid of it either. I seem to remember a prominent politician calling for the carrying out of executions to be done more quickly not so long ago and of course one of the main features of action against drugs in the 90s was executions.

Just to mention that "some time" is not long, two men executed for drug crimes in 2009.

One should never blame a religious or philosophical position, on the actions of some of its adherents. People are ultimately flawed by nature, more or less so depending on the person, but being a human is a fundamentally difficult and confusing experience, and people make a lot of mistakes, including their actions in the name of faith.

Also generalising about a faith in its macro form, is always just silly. This is most frequently true of Islam, there are different groupings under Islam, and some of them teach and misapply the core faith's teachings. This isn't even about radical terroists, it is just that some branches of that faith have very different treatment of f.ex women, than you see in the other branches, and so it is wrong to 'lump' them all together.

Rulebooks and the religious leaders of all faiths who wave said books around, have always hijacked the core faith, for personal gain or in some cases control of states. All religions have seen a similar corruption process down the centuries. Again, humans are flawed and some see religion as a meal ticket or a way to oppress others.

Similarly, as other posters said, it is dangerous to generalise about Buddhism (and imho all religions), because the basic act of faith involves a unique and personal journey to an inner paradise, a timeless internal sanctuary which is unique to that individual person and so can not be dispensed by monks, priests or anyone else.

wai2.gif

Edited by Yunla
  • Like 2

Whilst your statement is true, Buddhism in Thailand has strayed a long way from its roots...

Remember that Buddhism is in fact an atheist belief as opposed to having some mysterious ever caring god figure who accommodates all the faithful followers of its creed in its own mentally induced and produced paradise along with the assorted books of fairy tales that accompany the worlds assorted religious beliefs.

Religious beliefs or rather the interpretation of those beliefs by its followers has caused and still is causing wars and terorism and needless deaths around the world even now.

Sounds like this group is following Muslim principals. Wright a book non complementary to them and they put a price on your head. Wright a cartoon about them and your life immediately becomes endangered.

Funny thing about Budddah here in Thailand. You may not take a Buddah replica home as a token of your stay here but you may take a car load of them home for resale. Go figure. wai2.gif

Speech should be free, with few exceptions such as shouting "fire" in a crowded room.

So far only extremists from one religion wants to kill you for not respecting their religion. The world does not need another group of extremists.

I am a follower of Jesus Christ but believe God to be the judge, not me or you or extremists, especially about speech and religious items.

It took me two days, to get my thoughts in order about this.

Are they out of their <deleted> mind?

I had a "discussion" about those infamous portable loos in Holland (the one with the Buddha- image on them).

First of all, the person I talked to was totally misinformed, thinking the pictures have been INSIDE the loo, but more significantly: she asked me, if "we" would do such things to "our" Jesus.

YES INDEED "WE" DO!

All the time.

Some may find that offensive, but hey...sad day for them!

What the world sure does not need, is another holier-than-thou'- organisation, who claims, their believes to be so damn special, they require extra protection.

In the end, Buddhism doesn't even qualify as a religion.

Let's face it, lady: you are IN FACT not much more than a meditation- group, even your "Lord" Buddha, doesn't claim any god-like status!

Go figure!