Bringing dog to Thailand - house registration?

Hi all I'm bringing my dog with me to Thailand and have been reading the requirements which includes a copy of house registration certificate? Not sure how that works as we are just renting? Can anyone explain? Also curious if they check your visa status? I'm just on a tourist visa. Have read other posts on this and figure I might as well apologise upfront to any trolls who want to lecture me about bringing another mutt to Thailand. I'm just not heartless enough to abandon my first born. Pets are for life! To everyone else, any advice would be much appreciated.

• Like 2

I have the forms required and the contact details from the Department of livestock development. This is the office in the airport where you will need to go when you arrive. You can arrange all this by email. We have not been required to show any house registration and our import certificate has been issued. PM me if you'd like them.

• Like 1

no problem bringing a dog into Thailand even as a tourist. But make sure you bring it as excess baggage never send by normal AIrfreight

Air France actually allow small dogs to travel in the cabin.

'

In the cabin
Animals accepted

With prior approval from the telephone sales department , you may transport in the cabin:

• dogs and cats weighing less than 6 kg / 13.2 lb (including the transport bag or container).
  • Guide dogs are authorized regardless of their weight.
In addition, your pet must be at least 8 weeks old to be allowed on board flights to metropolitan France (including Corsica) and between metropolitan France and French overseas departments and territories (excluding Guyana).

For other flights, our telephone sales department will inform you of the regulations.

Transport rules

Your pet must travel in a separate closed container.

• The container must be sufficiently ventilated and enable your animal to stand up and turn around.
  • In the Economy cabin, the bag must fit in the space under the seat in front of you.
  • Under no circumstances should your pet leave its container during the flight.
  • Each animal must travel in a separate travel container.
  • Each passenger can travel with only 1 animal.
  • Your pet´s travel container is considered an additional baggage item and will incur a fee.
Please note: snub-nosed pets such as Bulldogs, Boxers, Pekinese or Persian cats can suffer from breathing difficulties in high-stress situations. Please consult your veterinarian before air travel.'

An inappropriate post has been deleted. this is a forum for pet lovers.

I have never heard of needing a house registration to bring in a pet, but then I've only done it as accompanied baggage. Are the dogs being sent as unaccompanied baggage (i.e. not on the same flight as you?).

• Like 2

I have never heard of needing a house registration to bring in a pet, but then I've only done it as accompanied baggage. Are the dogs being sent as unaccompanied baggage (i.e. not on the same flight as you?).

No they'll be on our flight. Maybe I'm getting confused? Will check again

If on your flight with you, all you need to do is on arrival bring the dog to animal quarantine (located near the baggage claim area), show your passport and proof of rabies vaccination, fill out a form and pay I think 50 or 100 baht. Sometimes the vet goes through the motions of examining the pet (usually no more than taking its temperature). Then they issue you an "import permit" and you're done, give it to the customs folk on your way out.

With small animals in carriers that don't look like obvious pet cages, some people skip all this and just walk on out with them. NOT that I am suggesting you do this....

BTW when the yask the breed of the dog, say "mixed".

• Like 2

No they'll be on our flight. Maybe I'm getting confused? Will check again

Brought my Dog de Bordeaux Youngster Puppy into Thailand, some years ago, was same -Cheryl- wrote.

He had to be MIcro Chipped and the necessary Vaccinations, from a veterinarian in you home country confirmed, check that on the right Thai Website.

After arriving in Bangkok, I got the dog brought to me to the luggage area in his cage.

From there to the Thai Vet. a short look, 200 Baht and off we where. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

QUICKLY: http://www.dld.go.th/webenglish/movec1.html

Brought my dog into Chiang Mai (as baggage) and the only requirements were that the dog have current rabies and some other vaccine (Leptospirosis) that I'll find out at the end of my post. You have a English medical certificate with all that and you should be fine. I actually don't think they checked any paperwork upon entry.

By law, there is a 30 day quarantine but I don't think it's imposed on anyone and there's just some fee you need to pay. At Chiang Mai it was 100 baht ($3) but I heard stories of people paying 10,000 baht ($300) in tea money. You can read on other discussions about how to avoid paying higher prices in general by taking care of it quickly upon entry and never involving more than one person.

Also, and I didn't realize this, Rabies and other vaccines typically expire after 1 year unless you ask your vet to give you a longer term vaccine. So just make sure you're very current on shots and when in Thailand you also make sure you maintain those shots.

http://www.dld.go.th/webenglish/movec1.html

Leptospirosis -- This is the special shot you need

I just brought my Thai dog with me to California. What the Thai Government requires is a health certificate, certified by the Agriculture Ministry, along with a copy of her vaccinations and micro chip, copy of your passport front page and copy of your airline booking. My Thai vet told me to bring her back, I would need another health certificate from my USA vet that is sent to the USDA for certification and rabies certificate. I asked my vet here in the USA and she says that is correct and she can do that, but I have to mail it in to the USDA. A side note; if you are changing planes like I did in Taiwan, you need to apply for a transfer quarantine permit from the Taiwan Government. Every country has slightly different regulations. Also check with your airline. They will want total weight, including crate. Total dimensions of the carrier and of course money for an "extra baggage" fee.

OneSecond: There are two ways you can travel with your dog. Baggage or Cargo. An animal flying under your seat is still considered accompanied baggage. Unaccompanied baggage (ie, CARGO) can still be on the same flight as you but is treated insanely differently. If you don't know which method your dog is going, then I assume it's as accompanied baggage because the Cargo process is a mess and something you would very clearly know that you were doing (I've done both and the rules around cargo are crazy).

If your dog isn't small and is flying in the belly of the airplane, then also expect them to be picky about size, weight, and the fit for your dog. The last flight I took my dog on was denied because they said there wasn't 2 inches of space above his head when he was sitting. There was plenty of room for him as the normal carrier we used for him was half the size (and he can turn around in that one) but they were right and due to the padding on the floor there was only 1 inch above his head. So they forced me to buy an overpriced carrier on the spot.

I just brought my Thai dog with me to California. What the Thai Government requires is a health certificate, certified by the Agriculture Ministry, along with a copy of her vaccinations and micro chip, copy of your passport front page and copy of your airline booking. My Thai vet told me to bring her back, I would need another health certificate from my USA vet that is sent to the USDA for certification and rabies certificate. I asked my vet here in the USA and she says that is correct and she can do that, but I have to mail it in to the USDA. A side note; if you are changing planes like I did in Taiwan, you need to apply for a transfer quarantine permit from the Taiwan Government. Every country has slightly different regulations. Also check with your airline. They will want total weight, including crate. Total dimensions of the carrier and of course money for an "extra baggage" fee.

Jimi,

OP has stated they're flying to Thailand, not away. Leaving Thailand is much more of a mess than arriving in Thailand. And the Health Certificate from the Agriculture Ministry on Export is accepted just fine by the CDC. There's actually zero requirements from CDC (unless you have a specific State requirement). I brought my dog from Thailand into San Francisco without current rabies or current anything else and it was fine. They make you sign a simple form saying you will have your dog vaccinated within 14 days and no follow-up after that.

I brought my dog into Bangkok after checking with Thai embassy in L.A. California by calling them TWICE as i didn't want any mistakes that all I needed was a rabies certificate .. Bangkok customs gave me a hard time and tried to get money out of me ...but let me go after I pointed out to them that I had called Thai Embassy in L.A twice ..

Hi Onesecond

my wife and i moved here 7 years ago and brought our 3 dogs from Australia with us. not an issue at all we did use a pet travel service

though think jetpet ??? my wife also just returned from the USA with a puppy recently purchased from a breeder there and she did all the

paper work herself with the help of a lovely lady in the animal phuket immigration department, as long as you follow all the proceedures

you will not have any issues. i am not sure about BKK as we have only come direct into Phuket... upto date rabies shots and letters from

letter from vet confirming this also dog will need to be micro-chipped so they can check with scanner is the correct animal being imported...

Thailand will allow dogs in the cabin upto max 10 kgs including pet carry bag. so will air france and korean airlines not sure others..

where are you coming from and what is your arrival point into thailand....

if you coming from USA Korean Airlines have a flight service from Atlanta and other USA cities directly non-stop into Seoul and a direct flight

Seoul to Phuket....

i once met a lady (french) sitting at Phuket terminal awaiting departure and she had a small Bichon Frise with her which was going back to Paris,

she had brought the dog to Thailand on holidays with her for a few months as they owned a house here..

good luck and if can help drop us a line..

If on your flight with you, all you need to do is on arrival bring the dog to animal quarantine (located near the baggage claim area), show your passport and proof of rabies vaccination, fill out a form and pay I think 50 or 100 baht. Sometimes the vet goes through the motions of examining the pet (usually no more than taking its temperature). Then they issue you an "import permit" and you're done, give it to the customs folk on your way out.

With small animals in carriers that don't look like obvious pet cages, some people skip all this and just walk on out with them. NOT that I am suggesting you do this....

BTW when the yask the breed of the dog, say "mixed".

You have answered this guy very well he does not need to listen to any other person, well done

Best option - if the dog is small enough - is to fly in the cabin with you in a soft carrier.

Second best is in the hold in hard-shelled pet carrier as excess baggage (you have to be travelling on the same flight).

Worst option is in the hold as cargo. (Most expensive and the longest period between checking in the pets and seeing the on arrival). It does mean the pet can travel on a separate flight from you though.

Depending on where you're flying from / to, and which carrier you're flying, and the breed of pet, some of these options may not be available.

i.e. to the UK, dogs and cats are required to go as cargo (which I think is something left over from the old quarantine requirements). It's why a lot of people who go on holiday with their pets end up flying from Amsterdam or Paris.

Additionally, some airlines won't take snub-nosed dogs (one of ours is a shihtzu). The best option is to check the requirements at origin and destination, and then check with each airline. Direct flights are best for the pets obviously, but may not be available, so you might also have to check the rules in transit countries.

I came three years ago from the USA with my dog Delta airlines rode in the cabin with us . Notified Agriculture at the airport via email prior to arriving we got in late at night office was open they checked the USDA certificate charged me 250 baht and sent me to customs . At customs I paid another 1000 baht which I got a reciept for . I had a layover in Japan and was met at the exit gate wanting to see the dogs papers . Thats the only time I was asked ..... If you can avoid checking your dog in baggage I would advise it . Anyway to keep them with you is best . Mine rode in a carrier that looked like a carry on bag . I had to take her out when I went through securtiy checks .... But it was rather simple ... Gettting all the documents before I left was a hassle because they had to be stamped by USDA within 10 days of my departure ... Good luck your pet will love it here mine does !

Over the last 15 years I have imported dogs from Australia and, most recently, Philippines, always as cargo. From Australia they came direct to Phuket, but from Philippines they were transferred at BKK, which meant I had to go and collect them, and fly them back by Thai. Customs generally helpful, though in BKK they charged a fairly stinging import duty (none was charged at Phuket). The only documents I had to supply were my passport and the export permit, pedigree and immunisation data for the dogs.

None of the dogs have had any problem adjusting to life here, nor have they ever suffered from any of the possible infections.

• Like 1

I.. If you can avoid checking your dog in baggage I would advise it . Anyway to keep them with you is best . Mine rode in a carrier that looked like a carry on bag .

agh I wish unfortunately they are too big. Think I've spent more time researching this than anything else for our move! Thanks so much for your help

Hi Onesecond

my wife and i moved here 7 years ago and brought our 3 dogs from Australia with us. not an issue at all we did use a pet travel service

though think jetpet ??? my wife also just returned from the USA with a puppy recently purchased from a breeder there and she did all the

paper work herself with the help of a lovely lady in the animal phuket immigration department, as long as you follow all the proceedures

you will not have any issues. i am not sure about BKK as we have only come direct into Phuket... upto date rabies shots and letters from

letter from vet confirming this also dog will need to be micro-chipped so they can check with scanner is the correct animal being imported...

Thailand will allow dogs in the cabin upto max 10 kgs including pet carry bag. so will air france and korean airlines not sure others....

Unfortunately Thai airways no longer does.

Better clarify with the airline if they will be handled as baggage or cargo i.e. specifically will you receive them at the baggage area inside the airport or will they be taken to the cargo terminal (where indeed getting them can be hassle).

You have answered this guy very well he does not need to listen to any other person, well done

This is THAILAND !

When driving along Highway 2 you can be stopped at a check-point and fined for having a particular tint on your windows, drive 20 Km along the road and be stopped again where the police ignore the windows and state that you need to pay a fine because seat-belts are not being worn yet a further 20Km along the road at yet another check-point the police ignore the 8 people sitting (illegally) in the back of your pick-up and the unlicensed trailer you are towing and wave you on your way!

There maybe a definitive set of International rules and Thai laws that govern the importation/export of dogs/cat/penguins exists...

However it is extremely relevant and most important that what is the experiences from many people at different airports and using different carriers is reported and shared within threads like this.

Just saying one person's answer is the definitive "solution" and the OP does not need to listen to anyone else is naive in the extreme, no offence but it reflects a lack of experience when dealing with Thai authorities.

What applies to a pet landed and entering Thailand at one airport does not necessarily apply at other Thai airports, what happens during the day-shift might not occur at night. The OP mentions 17:30 landing, so is there animal handling staff that work from 6pm? Would they make your processing easier if 1,000 Baht "service fee" was mentioned? It is these small but extremely relevant tips that can be SHARED in threads like this that help both the OP and people finding this thread in the future are the reason this web-site exists in the first place.

It was never a social talking shop for pet issues but to discuss the angles and whims of Thai Immigration policy as affecting visitors and expats in Thailand - from there it has grown into what it is. It would be nothing without full and frank discussion and shared experiences.

Also your post seems to be of a toady nature.

This site is only useful if knowledge is shared from direct experience regarding what the situation is NOW at different locations.

What applies to cats in Bangkok last year might not apply to penguins in Phuket next week.

Micro chipping has been mentioned - I didn't see anyone point out the different chip standards that are in use world wide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microchip_implant_%28animal%29#Cross-compatibility_and_standards_issues

An ISO Full Duplex chip reader will not see an AVID chip - nor an AVID chip reader an ISO chip.

So worth knowing if your pet's chip will even be found in Thailand - let alone if the database information from your country is accessible to the Thai operative with a functioning scanner.

I see two sites mentioning chips for dogs in Thailand without a definitive answer from either.