Phuket jet-ski operator attacks Israeli tourists

webfact

Why is an assault a non criminal charge

read between the lines..in other words it will all be swept under the carpet

Preconceived fears usually ignites these types of responses into stereo typing a problem. Wait for the outcome of the Courts decision before assuming anything.

• Like 2

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My ex used to own a set of beach chairs and run a jet ski from there in Pattaya...and even SHE won't rent from the local guys except for one guy who is a relative. She says even the guys she knows are liable to scam her.

Now multiply those problems by 10X and you have Phuket. When it comes to jet skis in Thailand...Just say no!

Why is an assault a non criminal charge?

Read it again. They are clearly referring to things like a civil claim for damage and so on.

No, not really, although it can be inferred, it still doesn't address the criminal issue. Why is that? Crappy reporting, bad copywriting, or no criminal case? Let us all know since obviously you have superior knowledge to the rest of us.

I think it is poorly written copy - or at least I hope it is. I think, though I may well be wrong, that the reporter was trying to add a reference to the new court, so that people can see that it is beginning to have its effect and is actually being used to better the treatment of visitors, but the way it is worded may lead some to think that there are no criminal charges - whereas I believe that what is meant is that only the non-criminal charges would be heard at the new court - with no mention of the venue for the criminal hearings.

I hope that's what they mean anyway....

• Like 1

Read it again. They are clearly referring to things like a civil claim for damage and so on.

No, not really, although it can be inferred, it still doesn't address the criminal issue. Why is that? Crappy reporting, bad copywriting, or no criminal case? Let us all know since obviously you have superior knowledge to the rest of us.

I think it is poorly written copy - or at least I hope it is. I think, though I may well be wrong, that the reporter was trying to add a reference to the new court, so that people can see that it is beginning to have its effect and is actually being used to better the treatment of visitors, but the way it is worded may lead some to think that there are no criminal charges - whereas I believe that what is meant is that only the non-criminal charges would be heard at the new court - with no mention of the venue for the criminal hearings.

I hope that's what they mean anyway....

You have to be crazy to believe these Israelis will come back at their own expense to be witnesses in a criminal case. A good lawyer is likely to be able to create a reasonable case for damage to the jet ski. After all, who would be crazy enough to rent a jet ski that is already damaged before the renter takes possession.

The case will lapse for the absence of the Israelis as witnesses if they have indeed been allowed to leave without placing a bond for the alleged jet ski damage. Otherwise, the Israelis might not be allowed to leave if no bond and no resolution to the civil case.

• Like 1

"Mr Danaichet accepted the assault charges by police, and is now out on bail."

And this will be the end of it - case closed!

Look at the statistics in the below article.

Phuket prison was built to hold 800 inmates. It currently has 2421 inmates.

I'm wondering if everyone being granted bail is because there simply isn't anymore room left in the prison for another inmate.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Prison-marks-113th-anniversary-with-deity-statue-22241.html

Edited by NamKangMan

It may be that the victims decided not to pursue non-criminal charges in lieu of a quicker resolution in the tourist court which is fast track. Personally, I would opt for criminal charges, but then I live in Thailand and have plenty of time and resources to follow through. The victims/tourists can achieve a degree of justice by getting a "large" cash judgement against the defendant which may cause him to think twice next time and perhaps send a signal to his colleagues.

66 year old man and son injured, yet "When we arrived at the scene, we found a lot of bystanders looking at the two injured Israelis, said Channarong Prakongkua of the Karon Police." Thanks for the aid, locals!

Just perhaps:

A. The victims declined aide from the locals.

B. the locals didn't know what to do as they had no training.

C. The extent of injuries were not life threatening and didn't require immediate intervention.

It is easy to jump to conclusions based on the limited information provided by the article. I have, in my own country, arrived at an accident scene with onlookers standing by when the victim was in obvious of need of first aid. It's not a Thai phenomenon, just perhaps more common due to the culture and training.

• Like 1

The police have been very cunning and at the same time thumbing their noses at tourists. They have charged this operator with assault, legally assault means NO contact, if contact is made, it becomes battery. So, guess what is the lesser charge and who will get off scot-free?

I was not there so I can't reply with as much certainty as you. I am also not an authority on Thai Law as it applies to assault, so I can't claim to know the legal definition of assault in the LOS.

We are all experts in something, we just haven't figured out what it is".

• Like 1

The report is carefully laundered of facts. There are numerous accounts of what the jet ski operators do. They unscrew the cosmetic rails on the top rails of the jetski and crack the hull behind it. Then they replace the rails, masking the damage. After a rental, they unscrew the screws again, claim the damage is new, and blackmail the rentor. If the rentor does not pay, they get violent.

This is the modus operendi for the last few decades.

Another nail in the coffin ( I hope)

Cliche alert!! That didn't take long

Jet ski thugs, fine and remove them, and the BIB that support the scam for their cut.

English police on TV, "Cliché alert!! That didn't take long", Same as above,

I think you'll find sunshine, that it can be spelled either way

You know, the scamming is bad enough and more than sufficient reason to avoid a place like Phuket. But the physical assault on a tourist is what really marks the incident. Even if the tourists (and I could care less where they're from) did cause damage to the jet skis and refused to cover it (WHICH I doubt...but even IF), that's absolutely NO excuse for violence. It's the violence that will eventually scare off the trade. I can't believe their volume hasn't already been affected though obviously there are some, perhaps many, not getting the word. Foreign embassies should be DEMANDING warning signs be posted at the airport for arriving passengers to see. If I'd bought my tix thru a travel agency back home, I'd be asking on return why THEY didn't provide a warning (as they do about other things).

Another nail in the coffin ( I hope)

That coffin already have hundred thousands of nails, I believe BIB drop the charges and Danaichet Yomjinda can keep on beating up tourists to get more money out of them. Jet-Ski mafia work together with BIB and have done it since first tourist arrived to Phuket bah.gif

Finally someone realizing that mabe the Israelis did noy want to pay for damages and got what they deserved

Even if that was true, which is very doubtful considering how often "damage" is fabricated by the ski scammers, it's very offensive. A financial compensation disagreement is a civil matter. Not a matter that justifies illegal violence.

The new low? No not yet. Had he killed one of them or perhaps both, THAT would've been the new low. To me the new low in this story is the fact that he was charged with a "NON-CRIMINAL" charge. What the flippen hell. He attacked innocent people WITH the intent to induce serious bodily harm and he gets charge for a minor misdemeanor. T i T. (This is Thailand). So much wish I could afford to retire somewhere else hey.

Is this a new low? beating a 66 year old with a stick?

He shouldn't be bailed, ridiculous.

Please correct me should my understaning of the facts around 'RENTING' out property is concerned but as far as I know, if you rent anything to anyone and the rent has been paid the damages are for the owners account, not so? The owner should take out insurance against losses. (That is how things work in the western world where I come from).

The report is carefully laundered of facts. There are numerous accounts of what the jet ski operators do. They unscrew the cosmetic rails on the top rails of the jetski and crack the hull behind it. Then they replace the rails, masking the damage. After a rental, they unscrew the screws again, claim the damage is new, and blackmail the rentor. If the rentor does not pay, they get violent.

This is the modus operendi for the last few decades.

Thai law can be mysterious. Like when a speeding charge in connection with vehicular manslaughter of a policeman has a 2 year statute of limitations. I wonder if the vehicular manslaughter of a police officer charge also has a statute of limitations. I cite these very different cases to highlight surprising aspects of the law and legal system.

I did learn one thing from that other case. The first thing I will do if ever pulled over for DUI is immediately grab a bottle of whiskey and guzzle. That way, they could not prove I was drunk before or after I was pulled over. I wonder if I could pull that off in another country? Obviously, if in custody you would need a mate to slip you one but it might be possible.

Correct. In most western jurisdictions of which I am personally aware, leaving the scene is a guarantee that a DUI charge will not stick for exactly that reason, you could have gone home and had a shot to calm your nerves. Of course leaving the scene of an accident is also against the law, so that one will stick (can't have it both ways). So it is not at all a "thai" thing.

The new low? No not yet. Had he killed one of them or perhaps both, THAT would've been the new low. To me the new low in this story is the fact that he was charged with a "NON-CRIMINAL" charge. What the flippen hell. He attacked innocent people WITH the intent to induce serious bodily harm and he gets charge for a minor misdemeanor. T i T. (This is Thailand). So much wish I could afford to retire somewhere else hey.

Is this a new low? beating a 66 year old with a stick?

He shouldn't be bailed, ridiculous.

Since he s charged with a criminal act there is no low then.

what is wrong with these people? i love thailand have been here for 5 years and yea i hate people always bitching about thais but they do them selfs no favors when they do things like this, they just never see the big picture, they go for the fast buck they dont even know sites like this exist? were people talk, and they wonder why nobody is hireing there jet skis, thai people are great but finding one that is smart well thats another story.

Holiday in Phuket?

Naa, I think I'll give it a miss, thanks.

This is just one in a whole long line of incidents in which tourists have been beaten by criminal thugs in Phuket. It never ends because the same thugs have to pass money up the chain of command, call it protection or whatever, eventually leading to the top cops and local politicians on the island who enjoy a very high income indeed. They are not likely to stop their foot-soldiers bringing in the cash.

• Like 1

Tell all family friends and any one you know visiting

"Never rent a Jet Ski in Phuket!"

I told my son and his mate that last year, fully explaining the reasons and consequences and detailing examples ... yet the first thing they did in Patong was to rent them.

Bright-eyed tourists, particularly young adults, do not think logically - they are in fun mode.

Whilst we're aware of it, I doubt very few tourists have ever even heard of a 'jet-ski scam' at all.

When its explained what can or what is infact is planed to happen they just would,nt believe it, when i get asked back at home about thailand...i think most dont believe such things would be aloud to continue,

Same when i tell about the criminal activities of the police, to them it sounds like a 3rd world african state.. maybe nigeria.

Nah, just a third world Southeast Asian state.

Sorry but I'm affraid millions of people in the Western world have never heard it, as millions of people have never heard anything whatsoever about Thailandtongue.png one day these people wonder, where shall we go for our next hollidays?...then they open a TAT brochure ant that's it!

Had an email from a friend in the UK just yesterday asking whether there were many tourists here or were they all staying away because of all the bad publicity being reported in the UK media.

Sorry but I'm affraid millions of people in the Western world have never heard it, as millions of people have never heard anything whatsoever about Thailandtongue.png one day these people wonder, where shall we go for our next hollidays?...then they open a TAT brochure ant that's it!

Had an email from a friend in the UK just yesterday asking whether there were many tourists here or were they all staying away because of all the bad publicity being reported in the UK media.

No drop in tourists from UK. Maybe not that many in UK read anything but the comics and the sports page or read nothing at all.