Phuket jet-ski operator attacks Israeli tourists

webfact

Kata jet-ski operator attacks Israeli tourists
Phuket Gazette

js.jpg
The 66-year-old Israeli tourist was attackd with a flagpole by a jet-ski operator. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Two Israelis, a father and son, were attacked and injured by a jet-ski operator wielding a “No Swimming” flag-pole on Kata Beach yesterday afternoon.

The attack was motivated by damage to the jet-ski the pair had rented, the attacker – who was arrested soon afterward – told the police.

“When we arrived at the scene, we found a lot of bystanders looking at the two injured Israelis,” said Channarong Prakongkua of the Karon Police.

“The 66-year-old father sustained a wound to his arm, and his son, 43, had a head injury,” Capt Channarong said.

After they were treated at Patong Hospital, the tourists were questioned about the attack at Karon Police Station.

The attacker, Danaichet Yomjinda, 25, was quickly arrested.

“After the Israelis returned the jet-ski to me, I saw that it was damaged. I was angry, and we quarreled. Then I used the wooden flag-pole to strike them,” Mr Danaichet told the police.

“I have already spoken with the director of Kata-Karon Jet-ski Association and urged him to keep a closer eye on jet-ski operators on this beach. We don't want any more incidents like this,” Phuket Marine Chief Phuriphat Teerakulpisut said.

Mr Danaichet accepted the assault charges by police, and is now out on bail.

This morning police confirmed that the non-criminal charges in the case will be heard at Phuket's new tourist court.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Kata-jet-ski-operator-attacks-Israeli-tourists-22371.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-09-28

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read it as the civil part of the case, as opposed to the criminal part, will be heard at the tourist court i.e. damages will be awarded, But from who to whom? To the jetski operator for the damage to the jetski or to the Israelis for a physical attack on them? Or perhaps the two will conveniently even themselves out.

Of course this is arse-about-face, though in this instance, as the perpetrator has admitted he attacked the tourists, it should work.

Though will a criminal case actually get to court?

• Like 2

This case has already been toned down to a non-criminal offence.

Surprised it'll even get to court.

Will be swept under the carpet as usual.

I think it reads clearly:1. criminal offense for the assault; 2. civil claim.

Can't read from the OP though whether the civil claim is against the jet ski guy for e.g. hospital expenses or against the 2 Israelis for damage to the jetski's.

I hope the latter so a judge will say something about the height of these damage payments.

Why is an assault a non criminal charge?

The Gazette is not disclosing the entire story on tourist court procedure, so no need to jump to conclusions just yet as its only early days.

Perhaps their comment about non criminal charge is miss-leading at this stage.

FYI-Under the responsibilities of the tourist protection section;

The office of the Judiciary role is, under Sec(1) states; Provide assistance in preparing both civil and criminal case (the plaint or charge as the case may be).

Sec (2) states; Administer the appointment to bring the cases in to mediation system within the next working day or as soon as possible and unremittingly continue such as cases until the case completed, also arrange the appointment for examining the evidence before suing.

Etc, etc, etc

Source; www.phkc.coj.go.th

If anyone has heard of a cha-am jetski scam let me know as I dont want to risk renting them if there is a possibility

I go to phuket but never rent due to the scams and cha-am is where a group of us rent them and have for several years .never heard a scam involving them yet!

Why is an assault a non criminal charge?

Read it again. They are clearly referring to things like a civil claim for damage and so on.

No, not really, although it can be inferred, it still doesn't address the criminal issue. Why is that? Crappy reporting, bad copywriting, or no criminal case? Let us all know since obviously you have superior knowledge to the rest of us.

This is the quote "......Mr Danaichet accepted the assault charges by police, and is now out on bail.

This morning police confirmed that the non-criminal charges in the case will be heard at Phuket's new tourist court."

There is no inferrence here. There are two sets of charges. One criminal on the assault and one civil against the damages

to the craft. That's fairly explicit.

Either Phuket tourist's are exceptionally clumsy or . . . there are far too many damages claims made by these, by now, notorious jet-ski operators.

There have been frequent arguments over damages and which have also previously ended with violence.

The police must start taking some responsibility for expanding intelligence on the issue.

• Like 1