Phuket Aussie Hon Consul Larry Cunningham farewelled in style

webfact

Phuket Aussie Hon Consul Larry Cunningham farewelled in style
Claire Connell

1380347808_1.jpg
Australian Ambassador James Wise, left, and retiring Phuket Hon Consul Larry Cunningham.

PHUKET: -- Australian Ambassador to Thailand James Wise joked that if retiring Phuket Honorary Consul Larry Cunningham had known when he took the job that Australian visitors to Phuket would increase the way they have, he might never have taken up the position.

Mr Cunningham was farewelled at an event at the Chava resort in Surin last night (September 27), surrounded by friends and supporters who have helped him during his eight-year posting. He will retire from the position on Monday. No official announcement of a replacement has been made.

Mr Wise told guests that when Mr Cunningham first took up the position of Honorary Consul on the island more than eight years ago, around 3,000 Australians visited Phuket each month.

Fast forward to 2013, and more than 22,000 Australians are now visiting each month – making Australia one of the island’s largest expat groups, and Mr Cunningham probably the busiest Honorary Consuls on Phuket.

“If Larry had known when he took on the job, that it was going to grown to 22,000, he would have thought again,” Mr Wise joked.

“He has never failed to meet the needs of Australians who have found themselves in some spot of bother – or worse than a spot of bother,” he said.

Mr Wise spoke about moments during Mr Cunningham’s time in the role, including calls from the Australian Embassy at all hours of the night (which Mr Cunningham later said was usually met by a “what the f***” when he answered the phone), sitting for hours with distressed Australians during police interviews, and meeting boats returning from Phi Phi with injured Australian tourists on board.

He said how Mr Cunningham worked “tirelessly” following the One-Two-Go airline crash at Phuket International Airport in September 2007, which killed 89 people including one Australian.

Mr Cunningham had helped “hundreds” of airline passengers on several occasions over the years – the latest of which was when Air Australia went bust in February 2012, leaving many Australians stranded at the Phuket airport when flights were cancelled, Mr Wise said.

He “dealt so calmly” with jet ski owners, including one incident where one “held bamboo spikes while negotiating a fee for damage,” Mr Wise said.

Mr Wise also read out two letters received by the Embassy, from people who had been helped by Mr Cunningham, including one from an Australian whose child had died in Phuket.

“Dear Larry, We can’t thank you enough for the support you gave us in Phuket. To lose a child is the worst thing that can happen to a parent. But the way in which you moved so quickly, it made an unthinkable situation less awful. It meant we could concentrate on looking after our child, and worry so much less about the outside details. Thank you for being there for us, and for putting a caring human face on what can often be just another bureaucratic process. Australians travelling in Phuket are in good hands.”

This letter was met by a round of applause from the audience.

Mr Wise said, “Those are the people that really mattered and Larry has been there for them.”

Mr Wise praised Mr Cunningham’s Thai staff at the consular office, and spoke of his energy, commitment and dedication while in the position, and that Mr Cunningham had “done much more than we could have reasonable expected from an Honorary Consul, anywhere in the world.

“He has a very good nature, and the capacity to speak his mind.”

During a short speech, Mr Cunningham thanked everyone for their support, particularly his business partner Bill Wavish who allowed the Phuket Australian Consulate to be run out of the Chava resort for the last five years, good friend Phil Gill who he shared “Aussie beers on a Friday” with, Trudy McGowan from the Australian Embassy in Bangkok, and close friend Sarayuth Mallam, vice-president of the Phuket Tourist Association.

“We have had a lot of problems in Phuket, and it’s amazing when you start writing the things down,” he said.

“We’ve had plane crashes, airport takeovers...we have had all sorts of things.

“It’s been up and down, it’s been a rollercoaster ride. I’m so blessed with so many wonderful Honorary Consuls, and so many friends here.

“I think the Thais and Australians are probably two of the most similar people in terms of working together,” he told guests.

Phuket Tourist Association Secretary Bhumkit Ruktaengam said Mr Cunningham was “the most outspoken Honorary Consul on the island”, and always respected Thailand, its people, and the culture.

“If I had to choose my own Honorary Consul somewhere else, Larry’s got my vote.”

Speaking on behalf of the island’s Honorary Consuls was Seven Smulders, the Phuket Honorary Consul for the Netherlands.

“You were there 24 hours a day, seven days a week and 365 days a year, available to assist your fellow Australians in need in any way you could.”

Mr Smulders said Mr Cunningham was “very direct, very honest, very outspoken and very committed”.

Presented to Mr Cunningham, on behalf of Australian icon Molly Meldrum, was a special hat similar to that of Molly’s.

Earlier this month Mr Cunningham said that one of his main reasons for wanting to step down was that he wanted to spend more time with his grandchildren in Australia. He plans to spend half the year in Phuket and the other half in Australia.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-aussie-hon-consul-larry-cunningham-farewelled-in-style-42139.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-09-28

Is this not the same guy who just recently went off about affairs in Phuket? I am not in the know.....any relation to his retirement?

Why don't you ask him?

And when you do so remember that Phuket has been classified as the most dangerous place on the planet for Australians.

You can probably include that for every Caucasian and then you might have some idea what he was dealing with.

I feel sorry for Mr Cunningham. I don't know him, but from what I have read, he was more interested in the nitty gritty of the job, than diplomatic niceties. Refreshing, but obviously time limiting in terms of his job tenure.

Perhaps he was forced out following his recent outspoken and therefore undiplomatic remarks, or, perhaps he knew he was going to retire and therefore figured, what the heck, I'm going to speak my mind for a change. I suspect only he and a few close friends know which is true.

Anyway, he has now gone and Aussies will need a replacement if a small percentage are to be rescued from the clutches of their Thai hosts.

• Like 1

Is this not the same guy who just recently went off about affairs in Phuket? I am not in the know.....any relation to his retirement?

Why don't you ask him?

And when you do so remember that Phuket has been classified as the most dangerous place on the planet for Australians.

You can probably include that for every Caucasian and then you might have some idea what he was dealing with.

I don't know him, which is why I don't ask him. I wasn't criticizing him, johnlandy, aka jumptoconclusions. I was asking a question.

Why don't you ask him?

Cos he has gone perhaps.... something to do with upsetting the Phuket governor wasn't it?

I mean, speaking the truth and his mind is just not on in his position.

Why do Australians keep coming here if it is so dangerous?..... Kabul and Baghdad need the tourists!

Good on the cobber I say.

If tourist numbers from Australia have jumped from 3k to 22k per month, may I suggest one of two options: open a full consulate or discourage Aussies from coming to Phuket (wiser choice, considering how things have been going, imho).

I think he was threatened with hanging himself, so best to chose retirement. smile.pngsmile.png

I thought that was the guy....mmmm....well, best wishes to him, wherever he decides to go.

Sad to see him go, it seemed like he tried very hard. I wish every embassy had no nonsense fellas like him who refuse to shut up and be quiet by Thais trying to cover up their countrymen's wrong doing. We already have enough crap to put up with without worrying about the criminal element getting away with murder literally...

• Like 1

I tip my hat to a diplomat of the highest order and an oustanding gentleman

that it's been my pleasure to meet on several occasions over the years. It's

going to be a very long time before anyone of a similar calibre will come along.

You can now unplug your phone at night Mr. Cunningham.

Sleep well and thank you very much. clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Edited by Dap
  • Like 1