Storm Wutip may bring more misery

Lite Beer

The floods of 2011 were supposed to be THE wake up call and all the stock phrases were trotted out about learning, appropriate measurers for the future, never happen again etc.

All this government learned was how to use the need for flood prevention as a cover story fo justify massive borrowing.

Such floods happen since decades if not centuries.....

Not exactly floods yes but the changing whether patterns in the world have been changing in the last few years and what worked 5 years ago will not work today. Thailand is in need of a knowledgeable water management plan from credible sources. that lets Thai academia out.

I am most assuredly not a Thaksin fan. But give the devil his due. He did indeed bring in water experts from Israel to study the situation here in Thailand and make recommendations. Recommendations that were later scrapped by another one of his parties. I think it was his brother in law that did it.

Lets face it the current government dosen't care. Two years ago Yingluck was informed that the stripping of trees was leading up to erosion and the huge amount of run off contributing to the floods. I believe she ordered them replaced. I think she said with in three months. But I later heard she said a year. Where are they?sad.png

There were already big floods in the 1970s.....

I see less problems with the weather patterns than closing everything with streets and buildings, cutting the trees etc etc.

And since the 1970s are various plans...some maybe good some maybe bad....but nothing was done.

There are plans from the King to protect Bangkok from floods, which were done half and that half helped a lot.

I think Barnharn when premier stopped that to save money.

That plans are of course outdated, but bringing some water experts from somewhere to study the situation and than don't do anything won't help.

And here is not only the Thaksin government to blame (of course they are in power since a decade, but also all the governments before.

Not even the canals in Bangkok were improved......

No clear and transparent dam management plan is in action......

Just about nothing.

The big pumps...usually they start to hysterical repair them just about now, because no one service them if they aren't needed.

There were already big floods in the 1970s.....

I see less problems with the weather patterns than closing everything with streets and buildings, cutting the trees etc etc.

And since the 1970s are various plans...some maybe good some maybe bad....but nothing was done.

There are plans from the King to protect Bangkok from floods, which were done half and that half helped a lot.

I think Barnharn when premier stopped that to save money.

That plans are of course outdated, but bringing some water experts from somewhere to study the situation and than don't do anything won't help.

And here is not only the Thaksin government to blame (of course they are in power since a decade, but also all the governments before.

Not even the canals in Bangkok were improved......

No clear and transparent dam management plan is in action......

Just about nothing.

The big pumps...usually they start to hysterical repair them just about now, because no one service them if they aren't needed.

Yes I agree. To a point. Yes as I said and you agree with the cutting down of all the trees and the for lack of another name the concreting over of the country are the biggest problem.

As far as the King's Plans I tend to disagree with you to a point. I believe that if they had been carried out when he designed them it would have eliminated some of the concreting over that we are suffering from today. The tree cutting down was not covered.

I really don't think they can get away with ignoring the problem any more. Two major floods in Three years and nothing done about it will not be accepted by the public. This flood would be just as bad as the 2011 if they had opened the dam gates again. That is the only thing they learned from the 2011 fiasco other than new ways to skim money from the tax payers pockets.

I believe that all preceding governments are guilty in the fact that they did not maintain the existing water ways. Much as they have done with the railroads.

But as I said give the Devil his due Thaksin did try to do some thing to forestall problems with real water experts. He later recanted on it. Seems more like he was acting out of bitterness. Still is in fact getting worse. My opinion.

What did you think of Yingluck Personally handing out bags of relief goods with the picture of her brother on them?