harrry

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

greeeeat news seajae !

someone was going to post a list of Hospitals nationwide concurring with the scheme - would be a great help & muchly appreciated it you could !

It's coming but will be another two weeks or so. Still getting new reports like the one above.

UPDATE After going for my tests at the Surat Thani govt hospital this morning I now have my medical card, they had me pay 2,800 baht and gave me the card before I had the xray and blood tests. I was the only westerner/farang there but there were lots of burmese , took 2 hours to complete it all and I will go back tomorrow to pick up my doctors certificate that will be used for my visa.

Seajae:

Just to confirm, was this Surat Thani provincial hospital o nthe mainland?

And what ampur is your residince in? (wondering if folks in Samui/Pha Ngan would be accepted or told to go to their local hosp..)

Thanks

Thanks Sheryl !

Pretty sure saejai is referring to Suratthani hospital on the mainland (actually 100% sure)

Really really hope they don't send us Samui/Phangan/Koh Tao islanders to Surat Hosspital as it's a 1 & 1/2hr ferry ride (and most times you have to wait to get on the ferry for some time if your driving your car) then quite a long drive from Donsak to Surat proper. (another 40mins approx)

Does not make sense at all if your ill ...

So far no reports of cards being issued at Nathon Hosp, in fact the opposite.

Also, capacities there are limited as it is only a district hospital, for many things will be referred to the mainland even if registered in Samui.

Unofrtunately all enrollment in CM -- the proivnce that has been most enthusiastically implementing this -- has been put on hold. Seems a hospital director attended a meeting at the central MoPH in Bkk, reported how many farang had enrolled and MoPH reacted with surprise, told him (as we have known) that this system was never meant to include resident expats, only migrants.

CM Prov Hlth Dept is in discussions with MoPH as they want to continue it, but in the meantime per orders from on high have stopped issuing new cards. Meanwhile no other provinces yet affected but it confirms what we originally said: the MoPH did not realize what it was unleashing with this directive, there was a slip-up in wording.

It may still be possible to get the card in other provinces but I think it is only a matter of time before a memo goes out to all clarifying not to do this. So if you are planning to apply for this, do so now. Hopefully cards already issued will be honored at least until their expiration (which after all is in only a year).

And, hopefully, the MoPH will get busy developing a similiar system that is intended for and priced for resident farang.

By mistake the MOPH has opened pandoras box. I thin that they will be providing retired and working farangs with health insurance but at an increased rate. Their problem is that the ASEA 2015 issue is also involved in this. I believe that the issue will be dealt with and we can have insurance but at an increased rate.

No, they probably just think that you're not Thai, so why should Thai government resources go to you?

A good question, actually.

If you are not a Brit the NHS resources seem to go to anyone that asks. In any case why should they go to Burmese non immigrants and not falang non immigrants?

The Thai govt picking up the tab is exactly what insurance schemes are intended to prevent. At present, cash-strapped govt hospitals lose millions of baht each year due to foreign patients who cannot pay their bills. Private hospitals cab kick them out, or not admit to begin with, public hospitals cannot, and thus they have a problem. It is this problem that is being responded to, not any perception about what resident foreigners can or cannot afford, just the simple fact that govt hospitals are encountering foreign patients with high bills that they cannot pay. And unlike Thai citizens, there is no government budget subsidy to the hospitals to offset care for foreigners and none is planned.

These sort of schemes are not free care, just care that is paid for in advance through a group risk-pooling mechanism.

The problem is that determining the minimum premium needed to break even requires a fair amount of research and calculations by experts in health financing and that groundwork has not been done yet. It was done only for migrants, a young group of people usually in pretty good health. Uninsured resident expats tend to be older folk, often with chronic health problems, A very different kettle of fish.

There will be a scheme explicitly targeting resident foreigners, just not sure when.

Earlier in the year health insurance for long-term foreign residents was said to be on the agenda as the third step, after dealing with the migrant healthcare/AEC issue and putting in place health insurance for short-term visitors. I'm worried now that the current political upheaval isn't going to help. My guess is that if the present Minister stays something may be cobbled together. However if there were to be a new government, pushing the line that Thailand has been pursuing populist policies that it cannot afford, the chances of a low-cost scheme for expats is reduced.

It seems to me that insurance works only when a large group of people have it. In effect the sick are subsidized by the healthy. Therefore the most cost effective way would to insist that all individuals on an extended marriage or retirement exemption have the insurance. I would think a fair rate that would cover government hospital costs would be around ฿1,000 a month and there should be away of paying for it monthly. Not all farangs can come up with ฿12,000 in one go. In a perfect world it could replace the 90 day reporting requirement as the health department could relay to the immigration department that you paid and from what bank or 7/11 or whatever you paid from. Of course this is not a perfect world.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I expect that indeed, once a system is in place, insurance will then be mandatory for extensions of stay. This has already been discussed, in fact there were ominous rumblings about it prior to any work on a govt health insurance option. It is good that at least they now seem aware that they cannot require proof of insurance without first making it available for those who cannot obtain a private policy due to age or pre-exisitng conditions.

Hopefully though we will still have the option of private insurance, for those able to obtain it. The government insurance has a lot of limitations though still far better than being uninsured, but anyone who can is still well advised to get a private policy.

As to a monthly payment option, don't know about that. The Thai government is not inclined to be sympathetic towards expats living here who are short of funds since the main reason for allowing retirement extensions is to bring in revenue, not to provide a service to hard-up elderly. And the reason for the fund requirements for extensions of stay based on marriage are to ensure that anyone staying on those grounds is likewise reasonably well off....

People extending their SS benefits pay on a monthly bases. As for private insurance if there is a mandatory government insurance, then the private insurance companies sell enhanced plans that cover private rooms things like that. In Canada there is government insurance, but lots of private insurance for extra coverage.

I qualified today at Mae Lao Hospital in Chiang Rai province.

It took about 2-3 hours including waiting but I think it's important to mention that some Thai doctors, and these have the final authority, are opposed to Farang going on it.

The one I saw was very polite but he told me straight out, after asking if I would like to hear his opinion, that anyone who could afford private cover, including Thais, should be on it.

I suspect that if my appointment had not been made through family friends who worked at the hospital the outcome may have been different.

It seems to me that insurance works only when a large group of people have it. In effect the sick are subsidized by the healthy. Therefore the most cost effective way would to insist that all individuals on an extended marriage or retirement exemption have the insurance. I would think a fair rate that would cover government hospital costs would be around ฿1,000 a month and there should be away of paying for it monthly. Not all farangs can come up with ฿12,000 in one go. In a perfect world it could replace the 90 day reporting requirement as the health department could relay to the immigration department that you paid and from what bank or 7/11 or whatever you paid from. Of course this is not a perfect world.

Maybe you shouldn't be the self-appointed one to determine how much people should pay? Maybe I don't want to pay 12K p/a. I'm healthy and a lot younger than most here. I pay 7K p/a for my private insurance but would get the plan as a back up. But let's let more qualified people determine how much.

Electrified, I just said ฿1,000 per month as a ball park figure. If you are getting private insurance got ฿7,000 a year good for you, maybe you could give us the name of the company and perhaps ฿7,000 per year should be the ball park figure.

I live about 70Km out side of Korat near Khonburi , and the small government hospital I tried to apply for the paid insurance card is the only one in my Amphur . The hospital administrator was adamant that I did not need the paid insurance card and from what my wife now tells me the hospital administrator became agitated when my wife re questioned them on the subject .

I have never received any treatment at this small local government hospital so they hold no medical records on me.

I'm wondering what sort of reception I may get when I go to Theparat hospital in Korat to try and apply , its going to be interesting to see how it turns out , but I'm going to give it a go .

your best bet is to give them a ring. tel.no. 044-305750 best your wife speakes to them.

ask for the extension for registering a foreigner for the medical card.

directions on how to get there, go past the mall westbound mittrapap rd.,past save one market heading towards kokrut.

50mtrs.past the garden center on the left go off the motorway to the inside rd that runs parrarel, the hospital is on the left well signposted.in through the main entrance to window no 1.

Thanks for the directions , I don't know Korat too well , can you please confirm which hospital I need to go to

qvmf.jpg

Thanks - Jack

Young or not, if you are only paying 7K/yr I'd take a hard look at the level of coverage per incident, may be too low.

Probably so. I used to have an excellent group plan available through thaivisa.com but they dropped it in 2009-2010 or thereabouts. I forget how much it was - perhaps around 10K p/a. Prices have definitely gone up in recent years.

People extending their SS benefits pay on a monthly bases. As for private insurance if there is a mandatory government insurance, then the private insurance companies sell enhanced plans that cover private rooms things like that. In Canada there is government insurance, but lots of private insurance for extra coverage.

This raises an interesting specific point about Thai Social Security.

I'm guessing there are quite a few foreigners who have worked here on work permits and therefore been 'members' of the Thai Social Security system.

I was a member for well over two decades. When I retired I got a refund of most of the 'savings' I had built in the scheme and my last employer cancelled my

membership. The HR manager did ask if foreigners could continue the membership in terms of health benefits and was told 'no, it must be cancelled'. It seems this advice may have been wrong. Perhaps others are in the same position.

So this brings the question whether ex members can reinstate their membership.

I will ask my old company to check this point and I'll share any clear answers / information which comes up.

On the other hand, maybe other TV members already have a clear answer to this question. If so, please share.

Young or not, if you are only paying 7K/yr I'd take a hard look at the level of coverage per incident, may be too low.

Probably so. I used to have an excellent group plan available through thaivisa.com but they dropped it in 2009-2010 or thereabouts. I forget how much it was - perhaps around 10K p/a. Prices have definitely gone up in recent years.

Read your policy.

If the maximum cover per illness/accident is less than 2 mill baht it is insufficient (personally I'd go for more, but 2 mill is rock bottom minimum you should have).

Can usually get a better level of cover from the same insurer just by requesting it. Premium will be higher of course. Do this now while young and healthy, if you wait till older they may refuse to raise the coverage.

They're now issuing the 'Health Insurance' in Nang Rong, Buriram Province and surrounding hospitals. I got mine today after they phoned my missus requesting me to go and get. The thing I don't understand is that people have been quoting 2,800 Baht as the initial cost, 2,200 plus 600 Baht for the medical. Yeah I got that cost and also they charged me an extra 390 for the x-ray, 170 & 50 Baht for two blood tests. Is that correct? Thanks.

Edit. Only document I had to produce was my passport.

Edited by sinbin