2013 Thailand Flood Updates - Maps, reports, local updates.

cdnvic

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The koh Chang mini van drivers are still running to Bangkok, so on Wednesday I'm going to try driving from the island to Korat via BKK.

Rained almost all day today on the island, but all roads here still passable.

Sounds like the route via sakaeo on the 33 to almost kabin buri, then north on the 304 is not open to a Jazz.

As far as I know, the BKK "ring road" and the road via Sara Buri is still "unaffected".

Anyone know if that's right or not?

Sheryl, you're a star.

• Like 1

Is it fine to go to Kanchanaburi from Bangokok? I would like to go to Sai Yok national park for a couple of days. Any ideas on if there are any problems with that at the moment?

Thanks.

No problems at all here in Kan. Should be OK getting through with maybe only minimal flood waters through Nakhon Pathom.

Chon Buri Governor Announces 4 Districts That Are In Critical Conditions

221.jpg

CHONBURI – October 7,2013 [PDN]; The Provincial Governor of Chon Buri had announced 4 districts as ‘critical’ due to the floods that gathered up during the storm and typhoon. In the Panatnikom district floods, floods as high as 50 cm. were reported.

The 4 districts that are in critical conditions are Panatnikom, Bor Thong, Parn Thong and Koh Jan

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/10/08/chon-buri-governor-announces-4-districts-that-are-in-critical-conditions/

--Pattaya Daily News 2013-10-08

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/10/08/chon-buri-governor-announces-4-districts-that-are-in-critical-conditions/

I went from BKK to Chonburi via Chachaengsao. I took the 304 to the 314. In the morning it was raining and there is construction right out of BKK, just past Rat Uthit Rd (to Nong Chok). It was passable, but unpleasant. On Suwintawong there was water over the road and sidewalk just past Rat Uthit road on Suwintawong, but certainly passable. There were a couple of places where there was water on the road, but not really flooding and quite passable.

I came back this evening and the road was good. There is a lot of water in the ditches and fields, but that route is certainly passable with minimal trouble.

Just got back today and went to have a look at the CP river at Singburi

At present :

post-12069-0-69191900-1381314103_thumb.j

Just under 11 m.

You can see it has been up over 11 m, whether this is because of rain or dams opening and closing cant say.

The blue pipe is the automatic measuring system.

post-12069-0-77877200-1381314241_thumb.j

it has been up over the bottom of the new as yet completed wall.

post-12069-0-38754700-1381314381_thumb.j

Still a long way to go to reach the 2011 level as you can see by the marks on the bridge and the wall on the far side.

post-12069-0-33859100-1381314542_thumb.j

No rain at present but the sky to the north is very black.

Will look at, and possibly fish in the river every day.

• Like 1

I am headed to Prachantakham and could do with some advise. We have property and relatives to assist.

I am taking two Landys and can wade to around 1.2 meters, more if I can get the second snorkel on in time... I've been told I need to head to the large roundabout north of Prachin town on the 33 and there are directions to get to Prachantakham. Do you have any further information? The alternative route is 304 but Srimahaphot is flooded as far as I know.

Thanks in advance.

Minivans and buses no longer able to get through to Kabin/Sakeo/Aran on Road 33.

I am headed to Prachantakham and could do with some advise. We have property and relatives to assist.

I am taking two Landys and can wade to around 1.2 meters, more if I can get the second snorkel on in time... I've been told I need to head to the large roundabout north of Prachin town on the 33 and there are directions to get to Prachantakham. Do you have any further information? The alternative route is 304 but Srimahaphot is flooded as far as I know.

Thanks in advance.

Minivans and buses no longer able to get through to Kabin/Sakeo/Aran on Road 33.

I'm living between that roundabout and Prachantakham. It's fine for at least 10 km east of the roundabout. I understand that beyond that and before Prachanthakham proper there is still some flooding on 33 but I don't know how deep. ..and of course much depends on just where in Prachantakham you need to go. But I am seeing a lot of heavy traffic (mostly trucks and other large vehicles) coming on 33 from that direction.

If coming from Bangkok I suggest you take 305 (Rangsit - Nakorn Nayok road) then get onto 33 in Nakorn Nayok (right turn near the hospital , signposted to Prachinburi).

Just before the Prachin roundaboput on your left hand side is a main minivan station where vans leave regularly for Prachanthakham/Kabin/Aran etc. They have the most up to date info and also know detours if needed. So stop and ask them about conditions into Prachantakham. My guess is that your vehicles will be OK at least on 33 into Prachantakham (the worst flooding is south of 33) but let the minivan drivers have a look at your vehicles and see what they advise. There is a detour route they were using at one point that goes around the most flooded part of 33 and comes out just past Prachanthakham Hospital. If they tell you they are still using that then suggest following one of their vans as the back roads at the foot of the mountain can be confusing.

Knock on wood it hasn't rained here now for 2 days, if it also does not rain tonight and tomorrow then more water will have a chance to drain down. That may still leave the more southern part of the town flooded though as the run-off is north to south/southeast.

• Like 1

I was that fresh market in Bang bua Thong today where it flooded badly in 2011, water was high but still contained. So I really don't think there will be a repeat of 2011. I checked with my pictures of 2011 of the same area. At this time it was already flooded there and started to flood on the roads around here.

Just posting this to give people information, I know I got really stressed when all this flooding started again and it looked like 2011 again. Still there will be flooding and its bad for those that are flooded but not on the scale of 2011 and the locations differ.

• Like 1

I was that fresh market in Bang bua Thong today where it flooded badly in 2011, water was high but still contained. So I really don't think there will be a repeat of 2011. I checked with my pictures of 2011 of the same area. At this time it was already flooded there and started to flood on the roads around here.

Just posting this to give people information, I know I got really stressed when all this flooding started again and it looked like 2011 again. Still there will be flooding and its bad for those that are flooded but not on the scale of 2011 and the locations differ.

That's good to know... water high here (near Sarasas BBT) but I also think we will be ok this time...

That's good to know... water high here (near Sarasas BBT) but I also think we will be ok this time...

Sarasas if I am correct that is not that far from Bang Bua thong just a bit further of I might actually have been there a few times. If we are talking about the same place.

Sarasas if I am correct that is not that far from Bang Bua thong just a bit further of I might actually have been there a few times. If we are talking about the same place.

Yes.. Just past 345 and Suphanburi road

Hang on here comes another one.

wp201324_5day.gif

Confirm that Nari has just left the building here in PI and as long as she don't stall over the South Sea, will be a Cat 1 on landfall in Danang.

There will be rain in east/central Isaan next week for sure. Generally they are hitting LOS at lower latitudes than the 2011 storms so maybe explains why northeast dam levels are less of an issue in this year's rodeo and Prachin/Kabin/SaKaeo are taking it in up to the neck.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

Last Thursday I drove koh chang-chant-rayong on #3, then the 36 to xpresway 7 up to swampy then xpresway 9 to bang pa in; on hiway 1 to sara buri, hiway 2 to korat in a jazz. No problems. All the major roads round korat seem ok, but there is some flooding in the sticks; including slowly (at the mo) rising water around phimai- and in my village!

On the 4th nov I need to drive to swampy, fingers crossed.

Leaving around 0900 today, 13OCT, Korat to Kanchanaburi. Anybody done it in the last day or two?

Google routes me all the way down and across the top of BKK at Pathum Thani then west to Kan instead of normal suggested route of cutting across from Saraburi junction, through Ang Thong and Suphan Buri, then over to Kan.

Looking at the Thai Gov flood map just now, the blue color in and around Ang Thong/Suphan Buri, seems to have gotten larger.

An Idea about how to reduce flooding: Up north were to flood problem starts. they should have an system telling exactly when more water should be expected/coming(also systems in northern countries were the water passes down to Thailand. telling them when to expect increasing amounts of water in the rivers)

Build an artificial deep river with a major floodgate and smaller flood gates along the main rivers. ready to lead all the water amount needed to prevent flooding.

Huge project. yeah obviously. But it can work better and what they got now thumbsup.gif

The problem with having a well integrated system is that there are all kinds of problems, including land ownership. There is also the problem of local gov'ts being able to raise and lower the floodgates, so they can effectively keep people upstream flooded, while their locality stays dry.

• Like 2

The problem with having a well integrated system is that there are all kinds of problems, including land ownership. There is also the problem of local gov'ts being able to raise and lower the floodgates, so they can effectively keep people upstream flooded, while their locality stays dry.

I agree with the "all kinds of problems" bit, thus you have to approach the overall problem by addressing the many to reach the ultimate goal. No single agency, provience nor individual on the firing line or in the system, has the authority, funding, expertise, nor the where with all to concede the big problem is a result of the many problems. A few are incompent people, poor funding procedures, worse than poor contractual agreements, corruption, refusal to deligate and hold responsible, individuals tasked with carrying out programs, etc

No one is held responsible for their actions/inaction nor are those below them in the government pecking order. When you have a government/civil employee system where 40+% are in their position due to being part of the family or connections to same, its similar to the attempt to have a learning experience in a classroom of 50 teenagers, with a single teacher/leader in charge. Add to this scenerio the absence of said leader for various personal reasons and you can expect a system failure.

Had a look at the river again this morning and it has fallen by almost a meter at Singburi.

attachicon.gifIMG_3541.JPG

Great... that means in a while it will go down downstream too, I hope that for many its now clear not to worry too much as it is not a 2011. This of course does not comfort those who are hit, but it does alleviate stress from those hit in 2011 and expecting a repeat performance.

An Idea about how to reduce flooding: Up north were to flood problem starts. they should have an system telling exactly when more water should be expected/coming(also systems in northern countries were the water passes down to Thailand. telling them when to expect increasing amounts of water in the rivers)

Build an artificial deep river with a major floodgate and smaller flood gates along the main rivers. ready to lead all the water amount needed to prevent flooding.

Huge project. yeah obviously. But it can work better and what they got now thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif

*Deleted*

There is already an automatic recording system in place over much of the catchment of the CP river.

There is a map of the catchment down by the river here in Singburi and a report board where things are updated every day in a flood situation such as this.

I watched the man updating the dam levels this morning, will take photos of the map and board tomorrow and post it for your edification and education.

You will note that this has been in place long before the 350trillion was borrowed.

As was the new (about 4km) flood walls, restating of roads and strengthening of existing walls which were all started soon after the 2011 flood.

I can post photos of these too if anyone doesn't believe me.

But all that is for another topic this is only for reports.

As promised yesterday .

The board down by the CP river in Singburi showing the river catchment area.

post-12069-0-09453200-1381804239_thumb.j

As you can see the system is quite complex and depending where heavy rain falls some parts can be flooded while others remain dry.

The second photo is of the full information board with water levels shown at 3 key positions along the catchment, this, as I said is updated every day in a possible flood situation.

post-12069-0-18790600-1381804482_thumb.j

You can see from the gauge in the background that the river is down another 30cm today.

The numbers had not yet been updated when I took the photo this morning.