Two Liberians arrested in Pattaya over "Black Money" scam

webfact

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About six years ago I had the extreme pleasure of turning the tables on a Nigerian scammer. At the time I was surfing internet dating sites trying to "broaden my horizons" so to speak. I started getting emails from a very attractive albeit forward acting Caucasian woman. I say forward acting because she was sending some very revealing photos of herself right off the bat. The first clue I got that it was a scammer is when she said she was a U.S. citizen, born and raised there, but her English grammar and spelling was attrocious. The second clue was when I kept asking very detailed questions about her home in the states and got only vague answers or she would take a couple of days to answer (me thinks she was Googling the info). Third clue was when I asked for a nude photo of herself. She said she would be too embarrassed to send one, though she had sent very scantilly clad photos before. The reason I say this is a clue is because scammers often take screen shots or download their photos from other social or dating sites, so if this was the case they might not be able to take "requests".

When I finally got my proof was when she (or) he said that she was stranded in Lagos, Nigeria where she had been robbed and needed plane fare to get home, which she would gladly repay when she got back to the states. Of course, there was no explanation of how she, a Caucasian woman, was keeping herself in funky Lagos without any money. At any rate, I said "sure I'll gladly send you the money, just send me a copy of your passport, driver's license, and the address and phone number of a relative in the states via email attachment, and as soon as I verify your identity I'll wire you the cash."

Well needless to say, I never heard from "her" again.

I really enjoyed that little turn about quite a bit.

• Like 1

Those are the kind of people why all of the people see black people are all scammers and up to no good!

From internet scammers, identity fraud, drug dealers, drug couriers, gun smugglers, and everything that is bad in this world are from them! so tell us why do all of us don't have a good impression on this kind of people?

Many black people out there are doing good and kind but this kind of wannabe criminals are destroying the image of all blacks.

Those are the kind of people why all of the people see white people are all scammers and up to no good!

From internet scammers, identity fraud, drug dealers, drug couriers, gun smugglers, bank bailout fraud, illegal English teachers, massive rewards for failure and everything that is bad in this world are from them! so tell us why do all of us don't have a good impression on this kind of people?

Many white people out there are doing good and kind but this kind of wannabe criminals are destroying the image of all whites.

What, again, when are the old bill going to clamp down on these people? You only need to go down the main street in BKK and they are all upto no good.

actually the people in the photo have been arrested.. what more do you want.

What do you mean by "they are all up to no good" ???? You mean all Black people ? You are one sick puppy.

Actually, when thinking about who said what Mr. technologybytes isn't that a little like the pot calling the kettle black, or is that tooo close to home? Same old same old

This black money scam, or wash wash scam as it often known, has been worked to death, I thought everyone new about it by now,

But obviously not!

Anyway I have to go, i have a Nigerian princess waiting for me to send her B50.000, to pay her banker off, then he will release her $1,000.000 inheritance

to my bank account, I can keep $200.000 for assisting her.

why am I so lucky!!

I can see how the victim was taken in by such a plausible story so can sympathise. Years ago a similar thing happened to me. I was told, by my mother, to take our cow to the market and sell it. On the way there I met a fella who offered to buy the cow in exchange for some 'magic beans'. Needless to say, when I returned home I was sent to bed with no supper and my mother threw the so-called 'magic beans' out of the window.

And a lot of people actually believe this stuff. I remember watching an interview with a black guy who did the same but got caught. He said it happened to him several times that he couldn't stop laughing because even after doing it many times, he was still astonished how stupid people are.

The black men are here to teach the brown men how to do more scams in Pattaya. It all makes sense really.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I thought this particular scam was exhausted 50 years ago, but it seems that there is a never ending market for this sort of duplicity.

The problem is not with this sort of ludicrous scam, but the more sophisticated ones that emanate from West Africa. In Nigeria in some so called Colleges, Fraud is actually taught as a subject, with illustrations and templates for converting real life accidents into ones tailored for that student's individual requirements. References to the actual plane, car or truck crash are given, and they are real. Rarely are all the victim's actual names given, so new ones are slotted in to suit. The accident was genuine with good Press coverage, but the parties are not. Most of these are now caught under Section 419 Fraud, but little is done about it locally. The unwitting victim in the West could even find himself prosecuted for abetting a scam!

Those are the kind of people why all of the people see black people are all scammers and up to no good!

From internet scammers, identity fraud, drug dealers, drug couriers, gun smugglers, and everything that is bad in this world are from them! so tell us why do all of us don't have a good impression on this kind of people?

Many black people out there are doing good and kind but this kind of wannabe criminals are destroying the image of all blacks.

Those are the kind of people why all of the people see white people are all scammers and up to no good!

From internet scammers, identity fraud, drug dealers, drug couriers, gun smugglers, bank bailout fraud, illegal English teachers, massive rewards for failure and everything that is bad in this world are from them! so tell us why do all of us don't have a good impression on this kind of people?

Many white people out there are doing good and kind but this kind of wannabe criminals are destroying the image of all whites.

Either way, this politically correct (or incorrect) talk doesn't hold any weight in Thailand or most other parts of Asia. In Thailand they will always judge people based on race, national origin, age etc. irrespective of whether we are talking about white people, black people, Burmese people whatever. It will take a long time to change attitudes. No idea why people who are obviously from the west are trying to be all politically correct on a Thailand forum as if they were back home in the USA etc., though I do find general sweeping generalizations of a particular group of people a problem.

Edited by Tomtomtom69
  • Like 1

Actually it's real, there may be many out there using it a base for a scam -but black dollars do exist,and they can be washed, I've seen it , done it and walked into a bank in the UK and asked for it to be changed - no probs.

They were all over Africa - probably still are, and the Russian Mafia were onto it....NOT trying to sell bits of black paper, searching for the chemical to wash them.I came across it in central Africa, having been given the lead in London, after digging probably a little too deep I was warned off the ice by an ex CIA guy. The book has been written,but is holding publication (insurance).

I vote for the above to be made Posting of the Year!

That old black magic has me in it's spell,

That old black magic that you weave so well,

Those dodgy banknotes that you know are duff,

I'll give you all my money

Just to get that stuff.

Given the growth of the World's population, there must be one born every second. No sympathy on one hand, no tolerance on the other.

Where is the fraud? From this published report, these guys asked for investment in a future project. Yes, we know it is a scam, but can the Law prove it is a scam ? Surely, the Prosecutors would have to follow through with the project to demonstrate the lie. How can the Proscutor be 100% sure that "David" does not have the "magic mixture" ?

where does this statement come from that most people see "black" people as untrustworthy at first and have to be convinced otherwise in order to think different.. This is never my first thought when i see a black man. what a crappy world we live in when this is the genreal feeling, but i think it is not and it is just a general feeling of some people.

Who in their right minds would buy black or any coloured pieces of paper and believe that abra cadabra, it can be transformed into real money?

Unbelievable and this really does confirm the old saying, that there is one born every minute.

Wait, i'll explain to to you, since you haven't got the patience to read from the beginning.

The gullible does't have to believe in magic. The first half of the scam is that the paper is real money that had been painted black as a measure of security, and to make it easier to smuggle.

The second part of the scam is that only with the proper solvant, the paint can be removed. And one has to pay to obtaint the solvant. Pretty clever if you ask me.

Then regarding what clicks in a normal mind when believing that, you can ask to the poster of top of this page.

Edited by paz

I had a guy dressed like a shake that aproached me in the Grand Diamong hotel about 13 years ago offered me this deal . I went along with it out of curiosity knowing fine well there was a scam in it just not quite sure how or what the scam was . met in a hotel and he transformed 40 dollars into 80 dollars for me then let me take them away to test if they would pass. , of course they were genuine bank note as it was the convincer . I took the $40 profit for my curiosity and never saw the guy again.. long and short of it all is this is the most stupid scam in history, there are so many holes in the theory they present, I dont know how anyone could fall for it...

Sure, it is just politically correct nonsense to say that you should not treat any African in Thailand with suspicion if they come into contact with you. But similarly, the rules for "survival" in tourist Thailand are it is just as true that if a Thai comes up to you and speaks to you without reason, he up to no good either. Nothing racist about it. When someone comes up to you in the street and say's "hello my friend", then you really should be suspicious no matter who he is, black, tanned or white. It is the survival instinct. Nothing to be ashamed of.

A black friend of mine was here from England and was conned into visiting one of these tourist con jewellery stores in Bangkok. It was his visit to Thailand and he was overwhelmed by the charm and service he received and as we were sitting talking in a restaurant, he brought out this package of his purchased items and showed me. It was quite hilarious. It was quite obvious that everyone in the restaurant was looking on in the assumption that he was an African con man trying to sell to me. They weren't being racist though. Anyone would have thought the same thing and they weren't wrong for being wrong in their assumption.

• Like 1

I wish thailand didn't allow anyone in from all africian countries.But I know thats not going to happen

Well there are very, very few Africans in Thailand to begin with. At least 50-100 times more western visitors are present in Thailand at any time, than African visitors.

But let's see why this is. Here are a few examples of how countries in Asia deal with applications from high-risk countries, including most of Africa, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Pakistan etc.

Vietnam only allows applicants from countries such as Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, most of Africa etc. to apply for a visa if they are coming as legitimate business visitors with a sponsor or if they have a private sponsor (as tourists) which means that a tour agency needs to come up with a set travel itinerary for them, confirmed round trip air tickets (they can't arrive overland, or at least won't be granted a visa without evidence of air travel in and out of the country), confirmed hotel bookings for every day of their stay and a processing time of 7-10 days, maybe more. Strangely though, some online visa agents are able to process visas-on-arrival for air arrivals for these nationals without any special requirements. The only condition is of course that they pay vastly more than westerners and other low-risk visitors. For example, US$100 for a one month visa, while others pay as little as $7 (although everyone pays the same US$45 fee at the airport). Not all agents are able to help, but I have a Sri Lankan friend who I was able to assist with getting a Vietnamese visa solely because we used one of these sites. Going to the consulate in China, where he lives was futile as the requirements were too complex and thus he wouldn't have been able to get a visa there. First time overland entry for these nationals is out of the question except in pre-approved group tours. Only if they are able to secure a multiple entry visa, would they be able to travel overland on their second entry into the country.

Laos: The embassy/consulate needs to request approval from the ministry of foreign affairs before an applicant from one of these countries can get a visa. Even before they get approved, they need to be resident in the country they apply, or have some sort of long-term visa. For example, a Nigerian, Pakistani etc. can't apply for a Lao visa in Bangkok unless they have at least a 3-month or longer non-immigrant visa in their passports (tourist visas aren't acceptable). Even if they do, they will probably need a return air ticket to Laos (i.e. can't travel overland) and possibly might need a pre-booked tour.

Thailand: For nationals of some countries, they can't apply for a Thai visa outside their home country, or in certain SE Asian countries, unless they are resident there. In Singapore, only long-term residents who are nationals of such countries as Pakistan, most African countries and Sri Lanka can apply. Afghan nationals can't apply there at all, even if resident, and must apply in Pakistan. Evidence of the status of these individuals is required, for example, if they are a student, a letter proving this. If employed, must show a letter from their employer with proof of absence of leave.

China: Must apply in home country only - no exceptions unless they are resident in the country they are applying. A return air ticket, confirmed hotel bookings or a sponsor, proof of sufficient funds, a letter from their employer stating a set period of leave and other requirements such as insurance may also be required.

So as you can see, it's very difficult for visitors from these countries to enter Thailand and other Asian countries, even if it's fairly easy for the rest of us. As long as no security issues exist, every country in theory allows entry from nationals of all countries, provided they can meet the entry requirements. Only a few exceptions exist (for example Israelis generally can't enter Malaysia and a number of other Arab/Muslim countries while visitors from any other country with evidence of Israeli stamps in their passports could be refused entry in a number of Arab countries too).