For those that have a truck, a question?

zeekgarcia

^^ Because it's illegal to ride in the back of the truck?

Thus the insurance doesn't cover Illegal activities?

Asking ... not telling.

Yes...riding in the back/bed of a pickup truck is against Thai law. Insurance doesn't cover illegal acts.

Hi,

Care to share your source for this information.

As far as I am aware, it is illegal to ride in the back of a pick up only on the expressways and only if the bed is not covered.

This means that if you have a canopy on the pick up, it is legal to ride in the back/bed of the pick up on any road.

If the pick up does not have a canopy it is legal to ride in the back/bed of the pick up on normal roads but not on expressways.

I may well be misinformed but if it is illegal, why don’t the police enforce this law when it comes to collecting tea money?

• Like 2

"For those that have a truck, does your truck insurance cover people riding in the back of your truck in case you have an accident?"

My truck insurance note is very specific about the number of seats. It says "7" though I have no idea how they work that out as I make it 5. It certainly only has 5 seat belts.

Either way, I would not expect my insurance company to pay out if I had more people in the vehicle than it has seats for, any more than I would expect them to pay out if I had an accident whilst carrying more weight than the maximum authorised for the vehicle (also written on the insurance note).

Does it ever? Not anywhere I know of.

Insurance companies in Thailand seem to pay out for everything - illegal or not.

Is it not the case that the vehicle is insured, not the driver here?

Insurance companies in Thailand seem to pay out for everything - illegal or not.

Not true.. brother of a friend of the wife took her car.. he had no license.. wrecked the car.. no payout as he had no license. Good for foreigners to know who are residents and still drive with their old country drivers license instead of a Thai as per the law.

• Like 2

Not true.. brother of a friend of the wife took her car.. he had no license.. wrecked the car.. no payout as he had no license. Good for foreigners to know who are residents and still drive with their old country drivers license instead of a Thai as per the law.

So did that unlicensed teen who killed 9 people had to pay out to all families? No insurance would cover it? Just asking as I don't know. makes one wonder if your car is stolen and someone wrecks it...the insurance company won't pay out for that....

So did that unlicensed teen who killed 9 people had to pay out to all families? No insurance would cover it? Just asking as I don't know. makes one wonder if your car is stolen and someone wrecks it...the insurance company won't pay out for that....

I was talking own damages, usually the insurance pays out and then tries to claim it on the person without a license or doing the illegal act. The case i was talking about it was a one car accident so only own damage and a death.

For those who are driving with a international license, please be aware that you can't claim RTA insurance(it's a clause in fine print)... International license only allow the holder to drive but can't claim if the driver doesn't have Thailand DL.

...and Robbloke, do you think this is another BS base on my username ? whistling.gif

Edited by RedBullHorn

"For those that have a truck, does your truck insurance cover people riding in the back of your truck in case you have an accident?"

My truck insurance note is very specific about the number of seats. It says "7" though I have no idea how they work that out as I make it 5. It certainly only has 5 seat belts.

Either way, I would not expect my insurance company to pay out if I had more people in the vehicle than it has seats for, any more than I would expect them to pay out if I had an accident whilst carrying more weight than the maximum authorised for the vehicle (also written on the insurance note).

Your insurance drawn up by somebody that rides a Honda Wave?

For those who are driving with a international license, please be aware that you can't claim RTA insurance(it's a clause in fine print)... International license only allow the holder to drive but can't claim if the driver doesn't have Thailand DL.

...and Robbloke, do you think this is another BS base on my username ? whistling.gif

No idea.. but you might flee the country if things don't go your way.

Your insurance drawn up by somebody that rides a Honda Wave?

I dont follow you. My truck is a 4-door model with 5 distinct seats and 5 seat belts. The insurance note says 7 seats and presumably this figure has been taken from the registration details of the vehicle and/or the manufacturer's spec. The laden weight also has presumably been taken from the same registration details.

So I'm at a loss to know where the extra 2 people are supposed to sit or why they are included in the certificate in the first place.

Everywhere I have ever lived if there isn't a defined seat and seatbelt for a person in a private vehicle then that person is not a legitimate passenger and as such probably isn't covered by passenger insurance. There may be some exception for very small infants, but as I've never had any I dont know about it.

No idea.. but you might flee the country if things don't go your way.

In Thailand ? cheesy.gif

I may be able to buy my way out with Somtam and Chow Kway dessert~

^^ Because it's illegal to ride in the back of the truck?

Asking ... not telling.

Yes...riding in the back/bed of a pickup truck is against Thai law. Insurance doesn't cover illegal acts.

Hi,

Care to share your source for this information.

As far as I am aware, it is illegal to ride in the back of a pick up only on the expressways and only if the bed is not covered.

This means that if you have a canopy on the pick up, it is legal to ride in the back/bed of the pick up on any road.

If the pick up does not have a canopy it is legal to ride in the back/bed of the pick up on normal roads but not on expressways.

I may well be misinformed but if it is illegal, why dont the police enforce this law when it comes to collecting tea money?

Read it once in an article about auto/truck insurance in either one of the Bangkok newspapers or the Pattaya papers. Sorry, can't be more specific than that.

Interesting question about baht busses and those mini Suzuki truck taxis you find in BKK and resort areas...as they are modified with seats and covers, makes them legal for passengers I guess...but don't know about their insurance cover.

So does this include baht bus also?

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

baht bus should be insurable as it is an official persons transport (yellow registration plate)

Edited by manarak

So if you have an accident while speeding, running a red light, drunk-driving, driving with expired tags, driving with a tail light out or any number of illegal activities voids your insurance? Oh my.

It would be irresponsible to do it too!

Watch is:

Looks like it blew a rear tyre but in any case the Driver of the vehicle will be responsable to pay for all the injured persons riding in the back of the vehicle. A very costly exercise indeed for him.

Looks like it blew a rear tyre but in any case the Driver of the vehicle will be responsable to pay for all the injured persons riding in the back of the vehicle. A very costly exercise indeed for him.

It also looks like the driver should be dead.