Government Health Insurance in Ubon?

Mike45

No. I applied at my local hospital after downloading the forms from the website. I was told it only applies to 'immigrant workers' not farang. Some farangs may have received it by mistake I think. As it stands, I tried and even showed them the Thai web page on the expat web page, but the answer was a definate no.

No reports yet from Ubon. As you will know from http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/671391-affordable-health-insurance/page-9 different hospitals have interpreted the new system differently, and the actual Thai wording of the directive is less than clear.

By all means if you live in Ubon, give it a try, and please let me know what happens as I am keeping track of which hospitals currently will/will not issue the cards.

But if you have private insurance, don't drop it - no telling what the ultimate outcome of this will be.

This government Health insurance is for Foreigners. It's 2800 baht per year and you would have government Health insurance similar to Thai nationals.

I am guessing that either the farangs in Ubon either don't need the insurance or don't know about it.

This government Health insurance is for Foreigners. It's 2800 baht per year and you would have government Health insurance similar to Thai nationals.

I am guessing that either the farangs in Ubon either don't need the insurance or don't know about it.

Mike, I am an interested farang in Ubon; however, my wife doesn't return from visiting the kids until early November. She has asked me to wait until then as she wants to come with me. We do know some people in the Ubon medical world - not administrative departments unfortunately - and will be talking with them first.

I have private medical insurance and would of course retain it, but in recent months I have used government facilities for general medical ailments that would not have been covered by it and have no complaints about the treatment.

Thanks for posting this in the Isaan forum; I rarely look at the health forum so would have missed it.

In the meantime I hope that someone else will give it a try and report back here.

Mike, I am an interested farang in Ubon; however, my wife doesn't return from visiting the kids until early November. She has asked me to wait until then as she wants to come with me. We do know some people in the Ubon medical world - not administrative departments unfortunately - and will be talking with them first.

I have private medical insurance and would of course retain it, but in recent months I have used government facilities for general medical ailments that would not have been covered by it and have no complaints about the treatment.

Thanks for posting this in the Isaan forum; I rarely look at the health forum so would have missed it.

In the meantime I hope that someone else will give it a try and report back here.

Elwood

Last year my FIL had a serious illness and I was very impressed with the medical care he received at Sapphasit hospital. Then I broke a finger and had surgery to repair it in the same hospital. I'm generally impressed with the medical care there and intend to rely on it eventually.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

There are reports from many provinces of people getting cards. Unfortunately we haven't heard anything yet about Ubon.

Mike, I finally got around to applying yesterday.

Full details in the other thread (Sheryl's), so that she can add to her list, but I am registered at Ha Sip Pansah Ubon.

That's fine by me, as I have been there before and it is closer, and less hectic, than Saphasit.

Elwood

• 4 months later...

Yes i can confirm i have the card in ubon at ha sip pansah hospital. Can only be used their .not accepted at any other government hospital. 2800 baht includes medical I am 65 uk .get my hypertension med. 30 baht. Appointment for may fasting bloodiest etc. I must be lucky because I have doctor who went to brisbane to study . Good English .He said I am his patient now. No complaints about 2 hour wait. Can't get same day appointment in uk.

• Like 1

This has been discussed to death here. At present it looks as though the regulations, although only meant for relatively healthy 'immigrant workers', were wrongly interpreted and only the word 'foreigners' was used. It also looks as though this mistake is being corrected and so in a year or two 85 year old Farangs won't be able to enroll any more. So don't go cancelling your present insurance just yet.

http://udon-news.com/en/law/health-insurance-for-foreigners was at the root of all this fuss.

I still don't fancy being ill (as in catching a disease in hospital) at the hospital that I would have to use./

A friend of mine just got a card at Kuchinarai Hospital in Kalasin yesterday 12/03/14 so some hospitals are still issuing the card.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ X using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Issangeorge

• 9 months later...

Bad news fellow farang I have just returned from Ha Sip Pansah Hospital Ubon (29-12-14)to renew my health card for foreigner

and was told that this insurance has now been cancelled, this is all to do with assian and only three countrys participating in the scheme Thailand not being one of them.

Edited by earlse25