Garbage Disposal

Silurian

I was planning on putting in a garbage disposal under the sink in the townhouse. My GF brother-in-law stated that this is a bad idea since food left in the water waste line attracks cockroaches and pretty much feeds them. He says it is best to trap all the food before it goes down the sink and toss it with the trash.

He also said that he dumps soups in the toilet since it goes down a different sewage system. :o

I had no idea that there are two sewage systems under the townhouse. I was told one goes to the city sewer and the other sits in a tank that needs to be extracted every few years.

Well, the short question: Are garbage disposals a bad idea to install in Bangkok? Will cockroaches rush to my townhouse in droves?

There is no public toilet type sewerage system in Thailand (other than a few limited areas such as Pattaya) so all toilet waste goes to a septic tank system with overflow into the public/grey water system you see on the side or roads. Water drains go directly into the ditch gray water drains. Most homes have a trap at sink to collect food items which you dump into wet garbage. Anything will attract those cock-a-roaches so the less you have for them the better.

I would not use a disposal unit for several reasons. First of all nobody know how to use/install or fix. Price I am sure is excessive. And electric grounds/installation is often not up to standards so being at sink/tile/water and using other hand to operate an electric switch would often not be the safest thing to do.

There is no public toilet type sewerage system in Thailand (other than a few limited areas such as Pattaya) so all toilet waste goes to a septic tank system with overflow into the public/grey water system you seen on the side or roads. Water drains go directly into the ditch gray water drains. Most homes have a trap at sink to collect food items which you dump into wet garbage. Anything will attract those cock-a-roaches so the less you have for them the better.

I would not use a disposal unit for several reasons. First of all nobody know how to use/install or fix. Price I am sure is excessive. And electric grounds/installation is often not up to standards so being at sink/tile/water and using other hand to operate an electric switch would often not be the safest thing to do.

In full agreement! Don't do it :o

So a garbage disposal is a bad idea, oh well. They are just nice to have but not really needed anyway. I'm not fond of the mouse-size cockroaches they have around here so the less to attract them the better. That's 8K Baht to spend on something else. :o

• 4 years later...

So a garbage disposal is a bad idea, oh well. They are just nice to have but not really needed anyway. I'm not fond of the mouse-size cockroaches they have around here so the less to attract them the better. That's 8K Baht to spend on something else. :o

I want to install one also. I think the electric concern is valid. I will make various inquiries into this. However the other concerns I feel are not worth considering. Reason being: there are roaches everywhere but most home in civilized societies have them. Maybe that is not a true statement. I will re-state that practically every modern home in USA have them. Or this is my understanding however.

Another thought I have is most Thai people never heard of a garbage disposal. The Thai people here in Isaan throw all the garbage out the door which attracts rats, chickens, dogs, cats, magots, flies ....... and maybe even roaches.

Just my thinking.

cheers,

K

The in-sink garbage disposal is probably among the worst "western" appliances to have - here or anywhere. Put food waste in a compost or yeah - just throw out the window for the dogs.

I very much like the idea of composting. However this is not an option for us living in a village in Isaan. Dogs, chickens, cats etc run rampant here. These unrestricted bastards will find anything edible and reek havoc w/ any attempts to compost. Therefore I (the Westerner that I am) LOVE garbage disposals. Do you know where I can buy one? :-)

Thanks,

Keoki