The Juicing Thread

tropo

@tropo hefty price but I seen the vids and it looks like a great machine.

Initially I was struggling with the price, but I'm really happy I bought it now. There's just no comparison with a regular juicer. It has a 5 year warranty. In the US they give the Omega (same machine) a 10 year warranty, so it is very high quality.

Also, you can't juice leafy vegetables with a regular juicer.

Looks a good buy i just checked the UK price 3rd gen is £329 from Amazone

If you want to make an accurate comparison, the model I bought here is the HU - 300. They did have another, more expensive model, which has a gadget which apparently prevents frothing, but I don't mind froth so it wasn't worth 3000 baht more.

You can store the juice but is best taken straight away as a lot of the good stuff oxidises in the first 20 minutes.

What good stuff oxidizes in 20 minutes? Do you have details on what exactly is damaged.

If good stuff oxidizes that quickly, how does it make it through the digestive tract?

I juice, but not as regularly as I ought to and I have a grater style juicer, so probably not the best. I drink what I make straight away and then make soup from the pulp. Just boil it up with some chicken stock, run it through the blender and add a dollop of cream at the end. Makes a great pottage style soup and you can add extra stuff to spice it up or down as required. My Thai partner says it looks like poo and won't touch it, being that the colour is nearly always brownish, but it certainly doesn't taste like it!

Since everyone here is obviously into healthy stuff. I have spare Water Kefir grains if anyone is interested. You can use to brew plain water kefir or for making old fashioned ginger beer.

PM me if you want some grains.

Try this out. It is great for people who aren't sure about the taste of juices.

2 x Apples (green preferably) 1/2 a lemon (don't remove the rind).

Sandwich the lemon between the apples and juice.

You will be amazed at the flavour. :)

You can store the juice but is best taken straight away as a lot of the good stuff oxidises in the first 20 minutes.

What good stuff oxidizes in 20 minutes? Do you have details on what exactly is damaged.

If good stuff oxidizes that quickly, how does it make it through the digestive tract?

Try this link

http://justjuice.org/2012/when-does-fresh-juice-lose-its-freshness/

Juices are best absorbed through the glands in the mouth by swilling the juice around in your mouth for maximum effectiveness. That is the theory according to the purists.

They had a cold pressed juice shop in Singapore where i was working last year and the juices there were the best i have ever had.

The only problem i have with juices if you are doing them yourself is that it is very labour intensive and most people give up after awhile.

It takes about 25 minutes out of your day after you clean the veggies, juice them and then clean the machine.

Having said that I believe that nothing beats fresh veggie juices for a health boost.

@tropo hefty price but I seen the vids and it looks like a great machine.

Initially I was struggling with the price, but I'm really happy I bought it now. There's just no comparison with a regular juicer. It has a 5 year warranty. In the US they give the Omega (same machine) a 10 year warranty, so it is very high quality.

Also, you can't juice leafy vegetables with a regular juicer.

Looks a good buy i just checked the UK price 3rd gen is £329 from Amazone

If you want to make an accurate comparison, the model I bought here is the HU - 300. They did have another, more expensive model, which has a gadget which apparently prevents frothing, but I don't mind froth so it wasn't worth 3000 baht more. 
The one looked at was HU 100 the latest model but I noticed the price of all HU where well into the £200 so I think you still got a good price so I will buy one in Thailand unusual to be cheaper there.

The one looked at was HU 100 the latest model but I noticed the price of all HU where well into the £200 so I think you still got a good price so I will buy one in Thailand unusual to be cheaper there.

They do make them just up the road in Korea, so that probably helps.

My only question is ... WHY?

Health David

Though fruit juices are not that good (missing out on the fibers) The same cannot be said for vegetables.

I'm interested to know how juicing makes either fruit or veg more healthy? Or is it just the convenience factor?

It doesn't make the vegetables more healthy, but it increases the amount of vegetables you can consume and in a raw state.

Also juices in high amounts helps to clean the body from toxins. And if you will be attentive there is energy boost during and after drinking the juice.

I was drinking only juice ( veggie and fruit ) during 3 weeks ( not eating any other food ) and was feeling myselft very good! And now I also "eat" only juices on breakfast and dinner or lunch.

Try this link

Juices are best absorbed through the glands in the mouth by swilling the juice around in your mouth for maximum effectiveness. That is the theory according to the purists.

They had a cold pressed juice shop in Singapore where i was working last year and the juices there were the best i have ever had.

The only problem i have with juices if you are doing them yourself is that it is very labour intensive and most people give up after awhile.

It takes about 25 minutes out of your day after you clean the veggies, juice them and then clean the machine.

Having said that I believe that nothing beats fresh veggie juices for a health boost.

I seriously doubt the nutrients are being absorbed in the mouth.

Either way, I'm no purist and there's no way I'm swishing 500 ml of my juice in the mouth. The faster I get it down the better. Have a read of my ingredients in the OP and think if you'd want to be swishing that around in your mouth.smile.png

Even from an evolutionary (or even creationist) point of view it doesn't make any sense to be swishing fluid in the mouth because quite simply it's highly unnatural. Do you think our ancestors were swishing their drinks around the mouth before swallowing, or counting chews?

The mouth has one function in eating - to break the food down small enough to swallow. Drinks go straight down.

Making juice with my new juicer is very quick and easy - and quick to clean up too. It's not labour intensive at all. 10 minutes tops.

Try this link

I seriously doubt the nutrients are being absorbed in the mouth.

Either way, I'm no purist and there's no way I'm swishing 500 ml of my juice in the mouth. The faster I get it down the better. Have a read of my ingredients in the OP and think if you'd want to be swishing that around in your mouth.smile.png

Even from an evolutionary (or even creationist) point of view it doesn't make any sense to be swishing fluid in the mouth because quite simply it's highly unnatural. Do you think our ancestors were swishing their drinks around the mouth before swallowing, or counting chews?

The mouth has one function in eating - to break the food down small enough to swallow. Drinks go straight down.

Making juice with my new juicer is very quick and easy - and quick to clean up too. It's not labour intensive at all. 10 minutes tops.

Here is another one on chewing your juices.

http://juicinghealthy.com/chew-your-juice/

Good luck with the juicing I should get back on them myself.

I've had a Hurom for about 12 months, great slow juicer, although a bit on the expensive side. Purchased via E-bay, cheaper than store. Thorough cleaning takes about 2 to 3 minutes. I have 1 juice meal each day.

Main vege recipe ... 3 or 4 sticks celery, 2 or 3 carrots, 1 green apple, small piece of ginger.

Main fruit recipe ... 2 oranges, 1 green apple, large slice pineapple, small piece of ginger.

Other vege ingredients include ... beetroot, broccoli, spinach, tomato. Yes, I know tomato is a fruit !!!

Other fruit ingredients include ... pear, mango, lemon, strawberries.

You're only limited by your imagination. What I think tastes great xthumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ic.ysn6H7pBDU.we others may not. xbah.gif.pagespeed.ic.UBlCYNwc5a.webp

I've had a Hurom for about 12 months, great slow juicer, although a bit on the expensive side. Purchased via E-bay, cheaper than store. Thorough cleaning takes about 2 to 3 minutes. I have 1 juice meal each day.

Main vege recipe ... 3 or 4 sticks celery, 2 or 3 carrots, 1 green apple, small piece of ginger.

Main fruit recipe ... 2 oranges, 1 green apple, large slice pineapple, small piece of ginger.

Other vege ingredients include ... beetroot, broccoli, spinach, tomato. Yes, I know tomato is a fruit !!!

Other fruit ingredients include ... pear, mango, lemon, strawberries.

You're only limited by your imagination. What I think tastes great xthumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ic.ysn6H7pBDU.we others may not. xbah.gif.pagespeed.ic.UBlCYNwc5a.webp

I can see you've been making them palatable. I don't use my imagination - just put everything together, whatever I have in the fridge. I don't put any fruit in the vegetable juices as I would consider that a waste of fruit because no fruit is going to make it pleasant to drink.

I do like the idea of using tomatoes, and occasionally I dump a few in, but I eat a lot of tomatoes so I don't really need to juice them.

How's the Hurom looking after a year of use? I was wondering how the silicon cleaning flanges hold up... and the rubber plug at the base.

My Hurom juicer holds up well after a year, some discoleration on the flanges/plastic parts though. Had 1 problem recently with the main bucket not wanting to disconnect from the base when wanting to clean it. Not sure what is on with that - seems to be fixed by rinsing some water through - but has caused a bit of a hassle recently. Cheers!

I don't put any fruit in the vegetable juices as I would consider that a waste of fruit because no fruit is going to make it pleasant to drink.

I can't stand the taste of mixing fruit and vegetable juice together. It always tastes terrible to me. If I want to make vegetable juice taste sweeter, I will mix carrot or beet with it or both.

Just a question im considering this but as I live on a tight schedule time wise most of the time i want to minimize time spend. But if you want to do this you need to buy fresh vegetables every day or do they hold say 3 days ?

I would be juicing a couple of days a week as everyday would be too much of a time consumption.

My Hurom juicer holds up well after a year, some discoleration on the flanges/plastic parts though. Had 1 problem recently with the main bucket not wanting to disconnect from the base when wanting to clean it. Not sure what is on with that - seems to be fixed by rinsing some water through - but has caused a bit of a hassle recently. Cheers!

Cheers! It's good to hear from another happy Hurom owner. I was concerned about how the flanges will stand the test of time. Did you buy yours in Thailand?

Just a question im considering this but as I live on a tight schedule time wise most of the time i want to minimize time spend. But if you want to do this you need to buy fresh vegetables every day or do they hold say 3 days ?

I would be juicing a couple of days a week as everyday would be too much of a time consumption.

Most of the vegetables will be ok in the fridge for weeks.

Cucumber, beetroot, carrots, ginger, lemons, limes, broccoli, cabbage, tomatoes... they all keep for a long time..

Only some of the green leafy vegetables will go a bit limp after a while. If you keep them in their original plastic bags and loosely wrap them in a plastic bag I'm finding no problem even for a week. They're best kept in the vegetable crisper if your fridge has one.

Just asking.. but have you ever seen beetroot at the local markets.. I don't mean supermarkets ? Is it locally grown ?

I only shop at supermarkets. Have no idea where it is from. It's the one vegetable that I peel.

The hurum is generally on sale for around 10.000 Baht +

It is not a cheap juicer, but it gets much more juice out of the veggies and fruits that it will be earned back over time. Not to mention the added health benefits by juicing this way vs high speed juicers. Cheers!

• Like 1

How much was this slow juicer ?

I paid 9,900 baht for mine. They said it was a special promotion price and the normal price is 12,900 baht. I haven't been back to check if it is true or not. I think it is a worthwhile purchase at either price.

• 3 weeks later...

Today's nasty (and powerful) concoction:

1. Carrot

2. Celery

3. Red Cabbage

4. Beetroot

5. Ginger

6. Tomato

7. Water spinach

8. Baby Chinese broccoli

9. Lemon

10. Lime

11. Parsley

12. Cucumber

Beat that! biggrin.png

Made about 1.2 liters.

• Like 2

I haven't juiced in some time and my previous juicer was a chore to clean, the juicers discused seem much improved.

Has anyone tried bitter melon ? it's an acquired taste but I'm curious in it's raw form if it's overwhelming and what other fruit or vegetable could be used to mask the bitterness? Raw and cooked it's a good source of vitamins and a quick google search on health benefits may surprise some, the research isn't conclusive but I've tried to incorporate it into my diet and like the idea of it being juiced.

http://www.stylecraze.com/articles/amazing-benefits-of-bitter-melonbitter-gourd/