Armed Australian 'black taxi' driver arrested in Phuket

webfact

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Short of the 'pistol' part I could easily have been accused of the same yesterday.

3 friends were staying at The Sunprime Hotel when their prepaid week finished and they decided to move to somewhere cheaper.

I said I'd drop them to the new place in my pick-up ( it has a divers style canopy and seats on the back) as they had big bags.

So I pull up on the apron near Reception at the Hotel , and one Thai in dark navy smiles and says welcome , while another Thai in turban and red beard ( unusual I know) and light blue shirt glares at me and says , "What you do?!!"

I say , "Oh , I'll only be here a minute , Im pickng up my friends " , thinking he is some sort of security.

Then he demands , "Where do you take them?"

Incensed that staff would be so nosey , I nearly say , "Mind yer own fcuken business" , but stop myself , with some Thais its just there way...

But this Thai is glaring, no smiles here.

So I say , "Baan khong pom!" ( House mine) and smile at him.

He then starts a chatter in Thai , and I detect the word 'taxi' but Im already hurrying inside , thinking they are just officious staff who dont want me parking there.

When I come out its pretty obvious the farangs really are friends , theyre chattering and throwing their bags in my truck , while red beard observes them closely.

He says , "You cannot do , this taxi job only Thai!"

( The real Hotel man is standing back smiling and looking worried.)

I just smile again , and we drive off , past taxi men leering at me.

Its in the car I realize hes a taxi man by the logo on his shirt.

In my opinion he has no right being any where but outside the Hotel gates , but he has obviously decided he will be a self appointed "approver" of who tourists will travel with and do so right near reception.

The situation is way out of hand .

A misplaced word and I could have been accused of one of the charges expressed above , or worse , beaten up .

For simply picking up friends....

Sure you can transfer friends.

You're putting yourself in a difficult position of course because of the canape on your car, and I presume them sitting there as well? What plates does your car have?

I don't think having a canape on the vehicle would put anyone in a difficult position, surely it would be there just in case someone wanted a snack?

If you think that you don't know the ins and outs. Mind you, we are talking a canape with seats here.

Do you really know what a "canape" is ? Try Google - it's your friend ! Perhaps you mean a 'canopy '.A "canape with seats" would be very difficult to fit into most people's mouths.

• Like 1

Sure you can transfer friends.

You're putting yourself in a difficult position of course because of the canape on your car, and I presume them sitting there as well? What plates does your car have?

I don't think having a canape on the vehicle would put anyone in a difficult position, surely it would be there just in case someone wanted a snack?

If you think that you don't know the ins and outs. Mind you, we are talking a canape with seats here.

Do you really know what a "canape" is ? Try Google - it's your friend ! Perhaps you mean a 'canopy '.A "canape with seats" would be very difficult to fit into most people's mouths.

Good to see somebody is reading the posts here, and finding the time to correct an obvious mistake, where it was very clear what was meant.

Well... There you have it...

He was clearly "doing work that is reserved exclusively for Thai nationals, carrying a weapon in a public place, and issuing threats."

Clearly carrying weapons in public places and issuing threats are the exclusive domain of those blessed with "Thainess". whistling.gif

wai.gifwai2.gifwai.gifwai2.gif

• Like 1

The everlasting saga of the taxi / tuk tuk mafia...

Wouldn't it be a wonderful world to simply have the taxi laws enforced... on everybody...

I wonder if I'm alone in this, but I would gladly pay a premium for a legally licensed (both drivers and hack license), properly insured, and well maintained taxi (maybe even working seatbelts). If it were driven by someone who wasn't insanely aggressive driver blasting Issan music, that would be a bonus. And dare I even dream of basic English skills and (gasp) KNOWING how to get around.

I would pay double the going rate and I wouldn't even hesitate about it.

Anyone else???

But, alas, TIT. Guess I have to wake up from my fantasy world now.

See here for CCTV images.

This guy is clearly a lunatic. He was the one that initiated the confrontation. Nutcase.

Is he? Did he lik? How? By taking pictures? That deserves a mob beat down does it? He was certainly angry with them, That does not make him a lunatic or nutcase. Hell he was backing away when the lady boss and the others first went after him! Unbelievable comment lik.

• Like 2

Got to agree with NomadJoe on this. Once the camera came out, these low life pond scum come out of the woodwork to give the guy a hiding. Typical mob taxi tuk tuk behaviour. It would be nice if every taxi rank and hotel had cctv running to capture this typical thuggish behaviour, then maybe, something would be done to put an end to this.

This guy is clearly a lunatic. He was the one that initiated the confrontation. Nutcase.

Is he? Did he lik? How? By taking pictures? That deserves a mob beat down does it? He was certainly angry with them, That does not make him a lunatic or nutcase. Hell he was backing away when the lady boss and the others first went after him! Unbelievable comment lik.

I guess we each interpret the CCTV video differently. I see a guy arrogantly parking his truck full on the pavement and on the wrong side of the road. I see a guy looking for trouble. I agree that the taxi mob were aggressive, but he walked into it. I respect your opinion. Does not make me change my opinion.

I guess we each interpret the CCTV video differently. I see a guy arrogantly parking his truck full on the pavement and on the wrong side of the road. I see a guy looking for trouble. I agree that the taxi mob were aggressive, but he walked into it. I respect your opinion. Does not make me change my opinion.

I picked up on some arrogance from this guy as well. Of course, I do not agree with the mob beating of him.

Admittedly, I asked myself the question, would the Thai's have reacted to such "arrogance" the way they did, if he was Thai, and parked on the pavement?

After being to Phuket and experiencing the rudeness of the Southern People and also from the numerous online negative news about Phuket, Samui etc , all I can say is that decent people should just avoid these places and also spread the word around to avoid these places. Hopefully one day a big earthquake would swallow up all the "garbage"on these places or better still simply swallow the whole islands. I have no pity for these garbage there nor people who support these islands.

By the way, strange that both these garbage islands are the domain of the Democrats.

I picked up on some arrogance from this guy as well. Of course, I do not agree with the mob beating of him.

Admittedly, I asked myself the question, would the Thai's have reacted to such "arrogance" the way they did, if he was Thai, and parked on the pavement?

A Thai wouldn't have bothered parking on the pavement, they'd have just blocked the road without any consideration for other road users at all. This guy was pretty polite not blocking traffic.

See

for CCTV images.

The video makes a lot of commenters comments look foolish. He had a camera so scumbag taxi drivers attack him.

His story is he was picking up friends. It is silly to think an Austrailian is trying to be a taxi driver in Patong.

The guy is guilty of being an idiot for rocking up hard on low life scumbag taxi mafia types like that, going for the fake gun may have saved his life. You can see one scumbag bringing out some furniture to pummel him with.

And Kudos to the tourist who walks into it to help.

I want to bet he was working as an illegal taxidriver for the tourcompany of his wife.
  • Like 1

Yes, it looks like he was picking up hotel guests... possibly as a side-earner to go with his timeshare selling. Right or wrong, this is illegal. Yes, it looks like he then returned with camera in hand to photograph some particular pieces of human excrement (presumably so as to make a formal complaint as to their earlier behaviour), and did so armed and expecting a confrontation. Upon producing the camera, he got one (before any weapons were produced). So yes, he's a fool too.

My synopsis - the Aussie should have been arrested, and he was. The taxi drivers should also have been arrested for assault (and their own taxi-legality should be under scrutiny) - it doesn't look like this happened. And the hotel should certainly discourage tourists from using these particular taxis, as they clearly lack the respect for the hotel and its guests to not cause violent scenes on their street frontage.

The point remains that quite a lot of Thai undesirable idiots doing the same thing as the Aussie don't get arrested, as is highlighted in the other thread. I've had this argument many times with Thai police, who generally tell me they're here to "protect Thai people" and that's why if there's a dispute they will often side with the Thai, regardless of who is in the right. I tell them they're wrong - they're here to enforce the Thai Law, and anything other than that is actually harming the Thai people. Very few of them agree.

Did the police bother to interview the clients? That might be an avenue worth exploring as to whether this was a taxi pickup or not.

Finally, this is more bad publicity for a tourist destination that is spiralling out of control. Phuket really has become a nasty place to go (well, in Thailand terms at least) and, as you can see, more people are mentioning Pattaya and Phuket in the same sentence as time goes by.

Yes, it looks like he was picking up hotel guests... possibly as a side-earner to go with his timeshare selling. Right or wrong, this is illegal. Yes, it looks like he then returned with camera in hand to photograph some particular pieces of human excrement (presumably so as to make a formal complaint as to their earlier behaviour), and did so armed and expecting a confrontation. Upon producing the camera, he got one (before any weapons were produced). So yes, he's a fool too.

My synopsis - the Aussie should have been arrested, and he was. The taxi drivers should also have been arrested for assault (and their own taxi-legality should be under scrutiny) - it doesn't look like this happened. And the hotel should certainly discourage tourists from using these particular taxis, as they clearly lack the respect for the hotel and its guests to not cause violent scenes on their street frontage.

The point remains that quite a lot of Thai undesirable idiots doing the same thing as the Aussie don't get arrested, as is highlighted in the other thread. I've had this argument many times with Thai police, who generally tell me they're here to "protect Thai people" and that's why if there's a dispute they will often side with the Thai, regardless of who is in the right. I tell them they're wrong - they're here to enforce the Thai Law, and anything other than that is actually harming the Thai people. Very few of them agree.

Did the police bother to interview the clients? That might be an avenue worth exploring as to whether this was a taxi pickup or not.

Finally, this is more bad publicity for a tourist destination that is spiralling out of control. Phuket really has become a nasty place to go (well, in Thailand terms at least) and, as you can see, more people are mentioning Pattaya and Phuket in the same sentence as time goes by.

more people are mentioning Pattaya and Phuket in the same sentence as time goes by." - yes, and I've been hearing that sentence quite a bit in recent times, that is, "I'm leaving Phuket and moving to Pattaya." :)

more people are mentioning Pattaya and Phuket in the same sentence as time goes by." - yes, and I've been hearing that sentence quite a bit in recent times, that is, "I'm leaving Phuket and moving to Pattaya." smile.png

are those are the same people who continue to lurk on the Phuket forum defending their choice despite the fact no one really cares where they live?

• Like 2

more people are mentioning Pattaya and Phuket in the same sentence as time goes by." - yes, and I've been hearing that sentence quite a bit in recent times, that is, "I'm leaving Phuket and moving to Pattaya." smile.png

are those are the same people who continue to lurk on the Phuket forum defending their choice despite the fact no one really cares where they live?

No, not forum lurkers. I personally know a few guys that have left Phuket for Pattaya. One of them, very recently.

Does anyone care? Well, I'll miss their company, but will visit them. I know from this forum quite a few will miss Big Bill's pickles - he's gone to Pattaya as well.

The more and more expats that leave Phuket, many for Hua Hin I hear, I'm sure the local Phuket economy will miss their baht.

The people I know did not leave Phuket for Pattaya for financial reasons, they left for a better quality of life. Yes, I know, hard to believe. This would have been laughed at just 5 years ago, now, it's very real, as that's how bad Phuket has become. The Naklua and Cosy Beach areas of Pattaya are popular with new expats.

If Phuket can't keep long term expats who are experienced with "Thainess" - what hope does Phuket have of having tourists return here, and also the gaining of first time tourists?

Edited by NamKangMan

There are three versions to every story, mine, yours and the truth. Too bad we will never find out what exactly happend. It doesn´t matter if the Aussie guy just picked up wife, daughter or friends like stated or if he really does some "side earnig" (stupid,dangerous)

The behaviour of the lynch mob is a disgrace. Amazing Thailand!

Edited by I knew this would happen

There are three versions to every story, mine, yours and the truth. Too bad we will never find out what exactly happend. It doesn´t matter if the Aussie guy just picked up wife, daughter, friends like stated or if he really does some "side earnig" (stupid,dangerous)

The behaviour of the lynch mob is a disgrace. Amazing Thailand!

Yes, they did not behave like they should have. Yes, he is a total idiot for returning there, and getting really in their face taking photos.

So you cannot pick up a friend or client from a hotel ?

Clearly not in Phuket bah.gif

Clearly one can on Phuket.

So long as you don't turn up multiple times to pick up those 'friends' and get noticed for doing it. And you sure as hell should not take on the mafia mob else you will for sure get arrested.

So you cannot pick up a friend or client from a hotel ?

Clearly not in Phuket bah.gif

Clearly one can on Phuket.

So long as you don't turn up multiple times to pick up those 'friends' and get noticed for doing it. And you sure as hell should not take on the mafia mob else you will for sure get arrested.

Ummm, "so long as you don't turn up multiple times" - let's see, a pick-up in the morning to show them the coast, Big Buddha, Phuket Town etc etc.

Then, a drop-off to their hotel for lunch.

Then a pick-up to show them the markets and some shopping. Then a drop-off to their hotel.

Then a pick-up to go to a nice restaurant for dinner and show them Bangla Road by night. Then a drop-off to their hotel later in the evening.

That's three pick-ups and drop-offs. All normal behaviour for good friends, or family, from back home, but I think enough to get your head kicked in and/or arrested on Phuket.

I don't own a car here, but if I did, it would be a shame to have to explain to friends and family I can not show them around because I could be assaulted and/or arrested for being a "taxi driver."

As transport "pickings" get slimmer here - I can only see them intimidating any and all farang, picking up and dropping off, any other farang, from anywhere.

Ummm, "so long as you don't turn up multiple times" - let's see, a pick-up in the morning to show them the coast, Big Buddha, Phuket Town etc etc.

Then a pick-up to show them the markets and some shopping. Then a drop-off to their hotel.

Then a pick-up to go to a nice restaurant for dinner and show them Bangla Road by night. Then a drop-off to their hotel later in the evening.

N

That's three pick-ups and drop-offs. All normal behaviour for good friends, or family, from back home, but I think enough to get your head kicked in and/or arrested on Phuket.

I don't own a car here, but if I did, it would be a shame to have to explain to friends and family I can not show them around because I could be assaulted and/or arrested for being a "taxi driver."

As transport "pickings" get slimmer here - I can only see them intimidating any and all farang, picking up and dropping off, any other farang, from anywhere.

I am sure you know that by multiple times I meant multiple days, as in most days, and with multiple 'friends'.

But I do agree with you final paragraph, you see already that as there are less tourists and even more taxis then the intimidation is only going to get even worse. The up side to this is that this mob are starting to fight among themselves to get their slice of the slim pickings.

I am sure you know that by multiple times I meant multiple days, as in most days, and with multiple 'friends'.

But I do agree with you final paragraph, you see already that as there are less tourists and even more taxis then the intimidation is only going to get even worse. The up side to this is that this mob are starting to fight among themselves to get their slice of the slim pickings.

I used to promote Phuket to friends and family, and many have come here.

For many of them, I have suggested a particular, well located, and good value for money hotel. Most have stayed there.

I have always organised a driver I use regularly for them/us, but if I had a car, I would be going to the same hotel, every now and then, picking up and dropping off different people, which would be bound to draw attention, especially now.

That's the same hotel, multiple times, different people, over a lengthy period of time, but what law have I broken? They are genuinely friends and/or family.

You mentioned in another post, around once a month does not draw attention. If you agree with my previous post, I would be careful doing a pick-up/drop-off even once a month now.

You are technically not even allowed to sit in the bar if you are the owner, as it would appear that you have sufficient ownership capacity to be "controlling" the business over and above your legal 49% ownership right, and also may be deemed that you are providing an entertainment aspect adding value to your business for which is a role a Farang cannot perform in an entertainment venue. True fact.

Interesting information. That would see all Falange under arrest as they all sit in their bars, all the ones I have been in over the years in Pattaya and Khon Kaen

Yes, as I mentioned in a later post the law can be used as it was intended, or it can be used as a weapon by those who feel it is their right to bend it to their own means.

Just like many things in our modern day, failure is often driven by the jealousy and greed of others, and it is important to protect yourself from that in advance if you want to ensure long term prosperity.