Armed Australian 'black taxi' driver arrested in Phuket

webfact

He was not charged with running an illegal taxi business because there wasn't enough evidence yet the article states he is a black taxi driver. Any person that knows Thai defamation laws would have that headline changed immediately for fear of a lawsuit.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was not charged with running an illegal taxi business because there wasn't enough evidence yet the article states he is a black taxi driver. Any person that knows Thai defamation laws would have that headline changed immediately for fear of a lawsuit.

"He was not charged with running an illegal taxi business because there wasn't enough evidence" - but there was enough evidence for the taxi thugs to give him a beating. :) :)

"He was not charged with running an illegal taxi business because there wasn't enough evidence" - but there was enough evidence for the taxi thugs to give him a beating. :) :)

Yup. He pulled a weapon on them.

• Like 1

"He was not charged with running an illegal taxi business because there wasn't enough evidence" - but there was enough evidence for the taxi thugs to give him a beating. smile.pngsmile.png

Have you seen the video?

I think the pulling of the weapon stopped the beating. Lucky for him, they believe the gun was of a higher calibre.

If he was challenged, and they found out it was only a BB gun, they would have killed him for sure, and then claimed self defence against the gun, claiming they did not know it was only a BB gun.

Despite is arrest, he really is a lucky guy.

Edited by NamKangMan

"He was not charged with running an illegal taxi business because there wasn't enough evidence" - but there was enough evidence for the taxi thugs to give him a beating. smile.pngsmile.png

Have you seen the video?

I think the pulling of the weapon stopped the beating. Lucky for him, they believe the gun was of a higher calibre.

If he was challenged, and they found out it was only a BB gun, they would have killed him for sure, and then claimed self defence against the gun, claiming they did not know it was only a BB gun.

He is an idiot. Working illegally, then returning and looking for a confrontation with the taxi drivers.

• Like 2

<snip>

He is an idiot. Working illegally, then returning and looking for a confrontation with the taxi drivers.

A lucky guy, are you kidding. I'm with stevenl on this one - he is an idiot.

I read a news report where he gave his side of the story and he freely admits that his wife thought it was a bad idea to confront the taxi mob - something along the lines of 'they will kill you'.

That's why I previously called him a lunatic for confronting this mob in such a stupid way, no subtlety at all. I guess he still thought he was back in Australia with his police badge. No idea if that country's officers carry a gun, I guess they do and maybe that's why he acted as he did.

<snip>

You mentioned in another post, around once a month does not draw attention. If you agree with my previous post, I would be careful doing a pick-up/drop-off even once a month now.

I am tiring of NKM's usual posts trying to draw members into a reaction ..

So I will react - I posted 'at most once a month' - that's not every month. In fact it's more like a couple of times a year. And often my wife does the driving. And I was talking about going out to the airport. And not picking up/dropping off at a particular hotel. So you just keep on banging away NKM and twisting other member's posts.

• Like 1

<snip>

A lucky guy, are you kidding. I'm with stevenl on this one - he is an idiot.

I read a news report where he gave his side of the story and he freely admits that his wife thought it was a bad idea to confront the taxi mob - something along the lines of 'they will kill you'.

That's why I previously called him a lunatic for confronting this mob in such a stupid way, no subtlety at all. I guess he still thought he was back in Australia with his police badge. No idea if that country's officers carry a gun, I guess they do and maybe that's why he acted as he did.

"I read a news report where he gave his side of the story and he freely admits that his wife thought it was a bad idea to confront the taxi mob - something along the lines of 'they will kill you'." - EXACTLY my point - he is LUCKY to be alive - despite being an "idiot."

Get it????

<snip>

You mentioned in another post, around once a month does not draw attention. If you agree with my previous post, I would be careful doing a pick-up/drop-off even once a month now.

I am tiring of NKM's usual posts trying to draw members into a reaction ..

So I will react - I posted 'at most once a month' - that's not every month. In fact it's more like a couple of times a year. And often my wife does the driving. And I was talking about going out to the airport. And not picking up/dropping off at a particular hotel. So you just keep on banging away NKM and twisting other member's posts.

Not looking for a reaction.

This is your previous post:

"You are exactly correct, they (the taxis) only care that they are loosing a potential fare.

In my case it's not a frequent action. Maybe once a month at most. Be a different case if I was at the airport every day. Problem with this Aussie guy is that he had become noticed at that particular hotel, and a hotel where his wife with tour business seems to be operating her business."

Big difference from "maybe once a month at most" to "in fact it's more like a couple of times a year" and often the wife is driving.

Anyway, all I am saying is, like this case has spread around the island to us expats, I'm sure it's spread around the taxi and tuk-tuk guys that foreigners are starting to get into doing some transportation.

We saw a Russian shop shut down some months ago as the local thugs were under that belief.

In my own opinion, there will be a lot more "attention" given to ANY foreigners picking up or dropping off ANY OTHER FOREIGNER - anywhere in the tourist areas.

I am not twisting that. I am stating my thoughts, clearly.

I truly believe there will be threats and intimidation against people picking up and dropping off any foreigners and they will not think to ask you how many times do you do this a month, who are these people etc etc.

The wedges of the transport pie are thinner now and will continue to get thinner. They will become more ruthless because "they (the taxis) only care that they are loosing a potential fare."

So, to all, becareful, even if you are genuinely picking up and dropping off friends and family. I stand by that comment and am not twisting or mixing my post/words.

See here for CCTV images.

The video makes a lot of commenters comments look foolish. He had a camera so scumbag taxi drivers attack him.

His story is he was picking up friends. It is silly to think an Austrailian is trying to be a taxi driver in Patong.

The guy is guilty of being an idiot for rocking up hard on low life scumbag taxi mafia types like that, going for the fake gun may have saved his life. You can see one scumbag bringing out some furniture to pummel him with.

And Kudos to the tourist who walks into it to help.

I want to bet he was working as an illegal taxidriver for the tourcompany of his wife.

The reason why I don't think so is that he went back and confronted the taxi ranks guys. I know people do stupid stuff everyday, but he has to know that if he is going to work as a taxi driver then he has to be low key. Maybe I shouldn't underestimate the depths of his stupidity.

Edited by NomadJoe

Yes, it looks like he was picking up hotel guests... possibly as a side-earner to go with his timeshare selling.

Time share touts do not have new Chevy Colorados or whatever it was. They have old PCX's or Nouvo's. The wealthy ones have Honda CBR150's.

Have you seen the video?

I must have missed it. Where does it say or proven he was working illegally? Surely hearing the taxi mobs story saying he's illegal isn't the only verified source of this, seeing as how their story doesn't hold up and is a complete lie as we see on the video evidence of this guy getting assaulted for filming the thugs.

• Like 1

I must have missed it. Where does it say or proven he was working illegally? Surely hearing the taxi mobs story saying he's illegal isn't the only verified source of this, seeing as how their story doesn't hold up and is a complete lie as we see on the video evidence of this guy getting assaulted for filming the thugs.

Not yet admitted, but anybody who knows anything about these businesses know what happened. He was working as the taxi driver for his wife, who was either working at the Graceland tourcounter, or more likely had a online tour business and was meeting her clients at Graceland. The taxi guys saw that happening, let it go for a while, but in the end they had enough of it and told him off (illegal taxi business, foreigner working as taxi driver). After all he was talking away their business twice: fares and commissions.

He could not have that, returned and confronted them and paid the price for that.

So wait this is a big issue? The other post where a Thai black taxi driver repeatedly mollested a chinese tourist, DUI and ect. Was given a suspended sentance cos it was his first conviction?

Then Mr. Junior Red bull, killed a cop and has not seen even a sentance for over a year?

What a load of BS! People in this country have no regard for real justice and equality.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

>>carrying a weapon in a public place, and issuing threats

No different then the current batch of taxi, tuk tuk and black plates which never seem to get penalized for these offenses. The Aussie guy wasn't thinking too clearly when he admits he was picking these people up working for a timeshare company. It'll work out though as the timeshare bosses will make things right with the bib once an envelope is presented. I knew a Thai national that was working for a timeshare group and the local bib boss owned the hotel/building involved in the timeshare, so they worked under the impression that they were immune to the law.

have to agree sounds like really taken the going native thing seriously. Wish him luck

any update?

Apparantly he has paid 200, 000 baht in compensation to the taxi drivers and he is not allowed to accompany his wife during her work as a tour agent

any update?

Apparantly he has paid 200, 000 baht in compensation to the taxi drivers and he is not allowed to accompany his wife during her work as a tour agent

Not sure where Irish gets that from - however a local rag that cannot be mentioned reports that he has been granted bail of 200,000 baht on weapons charges.

Wonder what would happen if Australia put a Ban on all NON-Australian Taxi Drivers? Might put a few Thais and OTHERS out of a job.

Same could also be said about allowing Thais to buy Land in Australia!

But Australia have different immigration and WP policies. Foreign taxi drivers are needed in Oz, because nobody wants that job. In Thailand people often have very little education and this is their livelihood. Thais need those jobs and hence they are protected.

Totally reasonable.

Wonder what would happen if Australia put a Ban on all NON-Australian Taxi Drivers?  Might put a few Thais and OTHERS out of a job.

Same could also be said about allowing Thais to buy Land in Australia!

But Australia have different immigration and WP policies. Foreign taxi drivers are needed in Oz, because nobody wants that job. In Thailand people often have very little education and this is their livelihood. Thais need those jobs and hence they are protected.

Totally reasonable.

Yes and foreign taxi drivers require a work permit or permanent residence to work in Australia.