What is it about the Fortuner...

wedders

Element of truth in that rixalex, but my experience of swapping regularly from saloon to SUV to saloon over the years.... and I drive carefully.... is that the often misplaced respect the Thais have for those richer and 'bigger' than they are, applies to drivers as evaluated by the status of the car they drive as well.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Get what you are saying wedders, just not sure the Fortuner carries that sort of clout nowadays. When they first came out ten odd years ago, yes i think what you are saying might be true, but now that they are ten a penny and every Tomwada, Dicknowit and Harritara is driving one, i think the bullies treats them as they would any other Toyota car.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True rixalex, not the same as before. Remember finding myself heading the wrong way down a single lane one-way street in Mae Sai on the Burmese border, in a SUV, about 8 years ago. Everyone coming the other way - bikes and cars - managed to get out of the way, and with the Thai equivalent of much bowing and scraping too. Not sure that would happen now. They're beginning to discover horns can be used for purposes other than showing respect to temples and Buddha statues. Not that I've ever seen the latter happen in Pattaya.

Hmm in dealers now, seems to be a major complication to change the standard Bridgestone Ducler H/T to the Michelin before delivery.... no can do. They want me to go to Michelin after delivery "and they change". They just don't get it. As soon as I drive 10km the current new tyres will be second-hand, no?

You found a Toyota dealer that also has a tire shop on site?

No, didn't think so.. so what's the problem? :)

<snip>

- Visibility: high enough to see past the idiot in front of you

<snip>

Exactly this made me choose a lower car. I noticed in my own driving style that the higher seat position and better visibility made me a much more aggressive driver. Judging by their road behaviour many Fortuner drivers are a victim of this.

<snip>

<snip>

Exactly this made me choose a lower car. I noticed in my own driving style that the higher seat position and better visibility made me a much more aggressive driver. Judging by their road behaviour many Fortuner drivers are a victim of this.

cheesy.gif , so your ride controls you, you do not control your ride sad.png , think l have heard it all now. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

stevenl, that's hardly the car's fault ;)

I don't think it affects my driving at all. On the contrary, the more vehicles I can see ahead, the more I can anticipate problems as they arise.

Yes leaving a sensible gap ahead of you should work just as well, but we all know that in Thailand 10 cars can squeeze in 5 car lengths - and do every time.

stevenl, that's hardly the car's fault wink.png

I don't think it affects my driving at all. On the contrary, the more vehicles I can see ahead, the more I can anticipate problems as they arise.

Yes leaving a sensible gap ahead of you should work just as well, but we all know that in Thailand 10 cars can squeeze in 5 car lengths - and do every time.

No, not the car's fault but mine. Easiest solution though was a lower car.

And TA: piss of, again a ridiculous comment of yours.

Sorry @ the OP, did not mean to go off topic here.

Edited by stevenl

Hmm in dealers now, seems to be a major complication to change the standard Bridgestone Dueler H/T to the Michelin before delivery.... no can do. They want me to go to Michelin after delivery "and they change". They just don't get it. As soon as I drive 10km the current new tyres will be second-hand, no?

Another 'Thai-way-of-doing-things' procedure. It is rare to get wheel substitution at the dealership for new car models purchased by the avg car buyer. Car deals seem to be one way, one package - no can substitute. What you have to do is drive to a local tire dealer, they will give you a (pre-determined) discount, dependent on your tire size and brand, though you may have to shop around to save a few baht. You must keep in mind that you didn't theoretically purchase your new tires at the going retail rate but that you will be compensated at an established (set) rate.

After picking up my new SUV from the dealership, I drove 1-1/2 hours to a shop, 150 km(?), to get ~ the same trade-in rate I could have received from a local tire guy. Only the shop I drove to was able to perform all of the mechanical upgrades I wanted plus order the specific style of wheels I preferred. I received a THB 20,000 trade-in credit for my (4) new OEM 16" Duelers towards the purchase of the new upgrade tires. My odometer read + 200 km at the time.

Plus, the higher driving position is a definite plus: You can see more of the road ahead of you which equates to more time to react to these crazy Thai traffic conditions, not to mention the added benefit of the vehicle generally being higher off the ground and more suited to easily navigate the perennial flooded roads.

Edited by thailoht

<snip>

<snip>

cheesy.gif , so your ride controls you, you do not control your ride sad.png , think l have heard it all now. coffee1.gif

Might sound silly but in a way i think it's true. I remember driving a mini (an original type) and feeling like i was in a go-cart. Driving the back lanes it was begging to whipped from left to right, and i challenge any man or woman with their faculties still about them, to not drive a car like that with a bit of vigor. I also remember driving a big old heavy Benz. That thing lumbered about like a tank. No way you would want to drive it, the way you might drive a mini, even if you could. It was a car that begged to be pootled.

Does sitting up higher than everyone around you, have a subconscious psychological affect on you and adjust the style in which you drive? Well, I wouldn't rule it out as a possibility.

• Like 1

cheesy.gif , you really are daft. Read your post again and my reply. I was a heavy goods vehicle driver and sat up very high, YOU are saying folk who sit up high in a ride are a menace to other road users, thats why you drive a mini car. cheesy.gif How daft is that. rolleyes.gif Gawd.........clap2.gif

• Like 1

cheesy.gif , you really are daft. Read your post again and my reply. I was a heavy goods vehicle driver and sat up very high, YOU are saying folk who sit up high in a ride are a menace to other road users, thats why you drive a mini car. cheesy.gif How daft is that. rolleyes.gif Gawd.........clap2.gif

That is not what I said. I said I noticed that I am a less aggressive driver if my seat position is lower. And yes, I also said I see a lot of Fortuner drivers being aggressive drivers.

Smileys don't make your post more friendly, they only ridicule yourself.

And those are my last words on this, as I said, don't want to go off topic.

Edited by stevenl

Smileys just say my feelings sitting/reading here smile.png . Fact.

You are saying that YOU in a high sitting position become a more aggressive driver. Well, if that happens to you thats OK, but please don't put the rest of us in YOUR category, because is really is daft. . Folk like you keep castigating Fortuner drivers but I hardly ever read anything about folk who drive Volvo, BMW or Mercedes SUV,s. It is a daft assumption that seat height is a threat to other road users. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

You are saying that YOU in a high sitting position become a more aggressive driver. Well, if that happens to you thats OK, but please don't put the rest of us in YOUR category, because is really is daft. . Folk like you keep castigating Fortuner drivers but I hardly ever read anything about folk who drive Volvo, BMW or Mercedes SUV,s. It is a daft assumption that seat height is a threat to other road users. rolleyes.gif

I don't think TM that anyone is suggesting that everyone who drives an SUV will automatically become an aggressive driver. At the end of that day, you can be an aggressive idiot in anything. You can be an aggressive idiot in a Fiat Panda if you wish.

The suggestion being made is rather that driving an SUV, be it a Vigo, Fortuner or anything else, can in some people make them drive differently than they otherwise would. Just because you aren't affected in that way, doesn't mean others aren't. wai.gif

• Like 1

I'm with TA, sitting up high, be it in an sixteen wheeler, an SUV, a van or pickup truck provides increased visibility and is therefore inherently safer, you'd have to be a bit of a noddy to abuse that advantage by being an agressive driver and I don't think that's the norm at all.

• Like 2

I don't think TM that anyone is suggesting that everyone who drives an SUV will automatically become an aggressive driver. At the end of that day, you can be an aggressive idiot in anything. You can be an aggressive idiot in a Fiat Panda if you wish.

The suggestion being made is rather that driving an SUV, be it a Vigo, Fortuner or anything else, can in some people make them drive differently than they otherwise would. Just because you aren't affected in that way, doesn't mean others aren't. wai.gif

Just sorting a post out that was daft. Where I am, numnuts in trendy hatch backs, who haven't a clue what they are doing, are doing really daft stuff every day when l am out there. Nothing to do with seat height, it's to do with the mentality of the guy/gal with their feet on the pedals. For someone to come on here and say he bought a low rider cos he will be a safer driver towards the other road users is daft. blink.png

• Like 2

..They do give a Novice Driver a sense of false security. The Handling of any SUV is below a Car...Gravity RulesPosted Image . . Plus many Ferangs get browbeaten into buying them,when a Swift type Car is all they really need.Posted Image

Sure. But handling is only really an issue when haring around roads where other drivers more or less respect the rules. But given this is Thailand, I'm more bothered about comfort, being seen, being able to see, negotiating potholes and floods, than speed. And in my case, having plenty of room for stuff and bodies.

Mentioned previously that I had (and still have) a CRV in France. In France I prefer the CRV over the Pajero. Here, the opposite.

I'm with TA, sitting up high, be it in an sixteen wheeler, an SUV, a van or pickup truck provides increased visibility and is therefore inherently safer, you'd have to be a bit of a noddy to abuse that advantage by being an agressive driver and I don't think that's the norm at all.

Perhaps we are overusing the word 'aggressive' in this discussion... perhaps 'assertive' is a better choice of word to use when addressing how people in larger vehicles drive.

Example in hand... I'm about to pull out of a junction, there is space before a honda jazz and I nip into the gap in a Honda Jazz, the other honda Jazz in some circumstances may, flash their lights and speed up to 'block' me... Yes this happens and quite often if the other car is bigger and more luxurious, in fact this is a particular trait of many Camry and Fortuna drivers (just my observations which admittedly are highly debatable).

Alternatively, I pull out in my Luxury 4x4, not aggressively but with confidence and assertion, my intentions are clear, actions are consistent and there is no hesitation, in this circumstance the other Honda Jazz I'm pulling out in front of does not speed up in an attempt to block me, neither does the Fortuna.

I used to drive a Luxury 4x4 and found that driving it around the city was very very simple, rarely did people cut me up, rarely was I forced to hit the brakes because some other driver thought they could nip into an impossible gap. Additionally I drove assertively and with confidence, but not aggressively or arrogantly.

Sometimes I would switch to my Wife's smaller car (Merc A Class) - it was impossible to drive the same way, larger cars would appear to bully me, bear down on me quickly, flash me out of their way, attempting to drive with the same level of assertion and confidence would have resulted in an accident. I had to drive more timidly in the smaller car as the larger cars were less forgiving and far less considerate.

In conclusion I suspect there is a law of the concrete jungle hidden away in the Thai drivers subconsciousness: In many cases (not all) the larger the size and greater the luxury the vehicle the more 'it' is treated with respect by the general road user when compared smaller cheaper cars....

Equally so there appears to be a chip in the shoulder of some (not all) who drive...

- Fresh Proffessional Females in a Micro-car (Jazz, Tida etc) - they give quarter to nobody, spend half their time on the phone while driving.

- Nutters in Works Pickups (often covered in dents) - these guys are often dangerous.

- The Male who has recently upgraded from his Honda City etc to a Fortuna, Pajero - He's big, don't mess...

- The middle-class Thai-Chinesses Business man in his Camry - Simply poor road manners, selfish

- Many more... But mostly, Fortuners are a many on the roads of Thailand and if 10% of them drive assertively they are noticed more than other cars...

Perhaps we are overusing the word 'aggressive' in this discussion... perhaps 'assertive' is a better choice of word to use when addressing how people in larger vehicles drive.

Example in hand... I'm about to pull out of a junction, there is space before a honda jazz and I nip into the gap in a Honda Jazz, the other honda Jazz in some circumstances may, flash their lights and speed up to 'block' me... Yes this happens and quite often if the other car is bigger and more luxurious, in fact this is a particular trait of many Camry and Fortuna drivers (just my observations which admittedly are highly debatable).

Alternatively, I pull out in my Luxury 4x4, not aggressively but with confidence and assertion, my intentions are clear, actions are consistent and there is no hesitation, in this circumstance the other Honda Jazz I'm pulling out in front of does not speed up in an attempt to block me, neither does the Fortuna.

I used to drive a Luxury 4x4 and found that driving it around the city was very very simple, rarely did people cut me up, rarely was I forced to hit the brakes because some other driver thought they could nip into an impossible gap. Additionally I drove assertively and with confidence, but not aggressively or arrogantly.

Sometimes I would switch to my Wife's smaller car (Merc A Class) - it was impossible to drive the same way, larger cars would appear to bully me, bear down on me quickly, flash me out of their way, attempting to drive with the same level of assertion and confidence would have resulted in an accident. I had to drive more timidly in the smaller car as the larger cars were less forgiving and far less considerate.

In conclusion I suspect there is a law of the concrete jungle hidden away in the Thai drivers subconsciousness: In many cases (not all) the larger the size and greater the luxury the vehicle the more 'it' is treated with respect by the general road user when compared smaller cheaper cars....

Equally so there appears to be a chip in the shoulder of some (not all) who drive...

- Fresh Proffessional Females in a Micro-car (Jazz, Tida etc) - they give quarter to nobody, spend half their time on the phone while driving.

- Nutters in Works Pickups (often covered in dents) - these guys are often dangerous.

- The Male who has recently upgraded from his Honda City etc to a Fortuna, Pajero - He's big, don't mess...

- The middle-class Thai-Chinesses Business man in his Camry - Simply poor road manners, selfish

- Many more... But mostly, Fortuners are a many on the roads of Thailand and if 10% of them drive assertively they are noticed more than other cars...

I hear what you say, soooooo, are Thai drivers different to farang drivers regarding your scenario's ?

Edited by transam

The Bargirl and Wannabes Choise, suffers from the Bad Drivers and is still a 1. 5 Mill Vigo,not a patch on the Honda CRV,thats not a truck with Chairs and Shed bolted on to it. Been there hate Em.

Very true and I've owned both the CRV and the Vigo, Vigo/Fortuner doesn't begin to compare to CRV.

Yup. Crv beats fortuner every time. If only Honda had a diesel.

&lt;deleted&gt; are you two talking about...comparing a car based SUV with a truck based one! Different size classes as well.

Some of the same symptoms I reckon, but if you drive like many Thais do in France for example, you wouldn't keep your licence for long.

Plus in France or the UK you can't bully other drivers in the same way. Most drivers just wouldn't accept it.

<snip>. Nothing to do with seat height, it's to do with the mentality of the guy/gal with their feet on the pedals.<snip>

And I have noticed that the seat height influences my mentality behind the wheel, so my driving style. And I'm sure I'm not the only one on who that has an effect. I have adapted to it with my car choice, unfortunately I do think that others don't.

Edited by stevenl

<snip>. Nothing to do with seat height, it's to do with the mentality of the guy/gal with their feet on the pedals.<snip>

And I have noticed that the seat height influences my mentality behind the wheel, so my driving style. And I'm sure I'm not the only one on who that has an effect. I have adapted to it with my car choice, unfortunately I do think that others don't.

So how does a Ferrari or Porsche owner fair regarding your scenario when their ass is near touching the ground ?

..They do give a Novice Driver a sense of false security. The Handling of any SUV is below a Car...Gravity Rulesthumbsup.gif . . Plus many Ferangs get browbeaten into buying them,when a Swift type Car is all they really need.w00t.gif

Sure. But handling is only really an issue when haring around roads where other drivers more or less respect the rules. But given this is Thailand, I'm more bothered about comfort, being seen, being able to see, negotiating potholes and floods, than speed. And in my case, having plenty of room for stuff and bodies.

Mentioned previously that I had (and still have) a CRV in France. In France I prefer the CRV over the Pajero. Here, the opposite.

t

Have you narrowed down your buying choices between the (Big Boy) SUVs: Fortuner, MU-X, Pajero and Trailblazer?

The MU-X brochure is said to be at the dealerships tomorrow. I hope it arrives at all of them and not just the 'Big-city' dealerships.

..They do give a Novice Driver a sense of false security. The Handling of any SUV is below a Car...Gravity RulesPosted Image . . Plus many Ferangs get browbeaten into buying them,when a Swift type Car is all they really need.Posted Image

t

Have you narrowed down your buying choices between the (Big Boy) SUVs: Fortuner, MU-X, Pajero and Trailblazer?

The MU-X brochure is said to be at the dealerships tomorrow. I hope it arrives at all of them and not just the 'Big-city' dealerships.

Yes, in a word. Paid deposit on the PJS 2.5 GT 4WD (black) this morning. Supposed to have delivery within 2 weeks. Some regrets over the MU-X, but even if the brochure did turn up tomorrow, I wouldn't be able to see the actual car until November... with delivery some time later... and don't want to wait that long.

So as I've done a lot of miles in rented Pajeros, I know what I'm getting.... and I'm giving the alleged status of the Fortuner a miss.

Got 15,000 discount plus the usual freebies.

Yes, in a word. Paid deposit on the PJS 2.5 GT 4WD (black) this morning. Supposed to have delivery within 2 weeks. Some regrets over the MU-X, but even if the brochure did turn up tomorrow, I wouldn't be able to see the actual car until November... with delivery some time later... and don't want to wait that long.

So as I've done a lot of miles in rented Pajeros, I know what I'm getting.... and I'm giving the alleged status of the Fortuner a miss.

Got 15,000 discount plus the usual freebies.

Congratulations!! clap2.gif

The Pajero has, IMHO - of course, the best 4WD system out of the group, plus you get power seats and cruise control. Those are two upgrades you can't buy* for a MU-X. sad.png On top of that, you chose the best color ... again, IMHO - of course .... and be sure to keep it washed and waxed - it will look cool! thumbsup.gif

it's the mu-X lose that they are waiting to deliver their new model.

..They do give a Novice Driver a sense of false security. The Handling of any SUV is below a Car...Gravity Rulesthumbsup.gif . . Plus many Ferangs get browbeaten into buying them,when a Swift type Car is all they really need.w00t.gif

It's funny you should say that. What I first got here I bought a Ranger Wildtrak and was thinking to upgrade to a Pajero Sport. Then the Swift came out and thought it might be good for the wife. The test drive was a revelation.....I didn't realise how much I missed driving a car. Wildtrak was sold, I forgot about the Pajero and 'stole' Mrs mjj's Suzuki!!

I've read there is a turbo kit for around 50-70k for it that boost the power to around 140hp. Sounds fun to me, but for some reason Mrs mjj's is not too keen..........................unless we buy another Suzuki for her.