What is it about the Fortuner...

wedders

Like i said, about 7 Years back.biggrin.png . Thanks IMHO.thumbsup.gif

I cant be bothered to look it up but you were saying about the drive of the Sportivo that your daughter had just got some time ago on TV couldn't have been that long ago as you have only been posting for a few month's. I replied to your remark's and as usual didn't get a reply now it seems that 6 year's has become 7 do you just pick a number if it's near enough that's ok.

Please try in future to put in correct post not just something you pluck out of the air as that'll do us all a favour.

• Like 1

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The PJS is a more satifying drive than the Fortuner and the interiors are also more pleasent. The seats lack decent upper thigh support and lower back pain without lumbar also an issue. I like the fortuners rear although the recent facelifted tail-lights are not an improvement, fortuner has more street presence and looks upmarket to me. I think the sportrider also had the g wagon when it came to looks too, but this is a subjective value judgement. No clue how the new aus designed hilux will look but the gr-hev looks the part, the pjs successor could very well upset my planned purchase of the t6 everest.

Not sure what you mean about more satisfying???

Re the seat's cant say about the standard Fortuner but the Sportivo has very good one's with at least 2" more thigh support than the Vigo I had before, those I did find gave me leg ache just one of the reason's I sold it. I'm under 6' anyone taller could have a problem with the Vigo one's.

Re the interior cant agree unless you like to turn knob's for the aircon: very 60's and like a Hi Fi set up with lots of silver glitter that come's alive with Blue cheap looking light's that look's like it's only fit for a boy racer. Not going down the half moon dial's way.

Agree about the new tail light's on the Fortuner, but the new front skirt I think is an improvement.

Even though the Pajero has fold away rear seats there still isn't much room in the back for lot's of cases/box's due to the very large wheel arches taking up most of the space, if you don't need all the seat's as I don't take them out easy and you would have a much better set up size wise in the Fortuner. Cant say about the new Pajero but the last one I tried had very bad vision through the rear window via the R/view mirror most of it was blacked out to accommodate the rear wiper+++ And what about those bloody wheel arches ??? last but not least the very light steering at speed a nightmare.

But it is cheaper. And in my opinion need's to be.

Edited by fredob43

The PJS is a more satifying drive than the Fortuner and the interiors are also more pleasent. The seats lack decent upper thigh support and lower back pain without lumbar also an issue. I like the fortuners rear although the recent facelifted tail-lights are not an improvement, fortuner has more street presence and looks upmarket to me. I think the sportrider also had the g wagon when it came to looks too, but this is a subjective value judgement. No clue how the new aus designed hilux will look but the gr-hev looks the part, the pjs successor could very well upset my planned purchase of the t6 everest.

Not sure what you mean about more satisfying???

Re the seat's cant say about the standard Fortuner but the Sportivo has very good one's with at least 2" more thigh support than the Vigo I had before, those I did find gave me leg ache just one of the reason's I sold it. I'm under 6' anyone taller could have a problem with the Vigo one's.

Re the interior cant agree unless you like to turn knob's for the aircon: very 60's and like a Hi Fi set up with lots of silver glitter that come's alive with Blue cheap looking light's that look's like it's only fit for a boy racer. Not going down the half moon dial's way.

Agree about the new tail light's on the Fortuner, but the new front skirt I think is an improvement.

Even though the Pajero has fold away rear seats there still isn't much room in the back for lot's of cases/box's due to the very large wheel arches taking up most of the space, if you don't need all the seat's as I don't take them out easy and you would have a much better set up size wise in the Fortuner. Cant say about the new Pajero but the last one I tried had very bad vision through the rear window via the R/view mirror most of it was blacked out to accommodate the rear wiper+++ And what about those bloody wheel arches ??? last but not least the very light steering at speed a nightmare.

But it is cheaper. And in my opinion need's to be.

Wasnt clear I was talking about the PJS when complaining about the lack of support, I think the mitsu triton/pjs front buckets are unconfortable as they are soft, could always add an aftermarket bladder for lumbar support to address this issue. The Fortuner looks upmarket to me, I actually think the new front headlights and skirt look better than the first facelift which brought landcruiser rugged good looks. the sportivo/aperto with the black interiors help me forget a similar experience can be had in the innova and roof aircon (an innitiative eventually copied by mitsu for 2012 was a welcome initiative). I agree with you, the fortuner unfortunately lacks tilt steering which is as generous as the competition, shame the trailblazer and the ranger so im assuming the everest also lacks the telescopic steering adjust so we arent left poised to row a boat when attempting to drive from the rearest setting. Satisfying drive comes from the handling, its easier to maintain a composed ride over poor surfaced roads at higher speeds, have more confidence in the corners and in general more taut steering for me equates to better driving dynamics and pleasure. I actually like the aftermarket solution and alpine head unit, great for people like myself that usually buy a metra dash kit to slot in a 1 or 2din headunit in place of the factory unit, each to their own and i understand if aftermarket instals arent someones thing the factory solution is more tame. The high wheel arches are for the tall suspension which irons out the bad roads, makes it look agressive to me but again its a value judgement and as i said before when it comes to exterior styling I prefer the fortuner, looking at how far the pjs and fortuner took the levels of refinement from the previous gen ppvs with the gwagon and sportrider im currious how close the next gen will come to closing the still obvious gap between ppvs and other suvs such as the prado for example. Lastly, toyota commands its tier 1 pricing more as a reflection of demand than a reflection of product supperiority, i think there is a lot going for both options so much so that id consider either of them over the considerably newer trailblazer. im fine with diesel clatter especially from cold starts but that 2.8 is noisy.

• Like 1

Mr Fredob ,the Forum isn't a Legal Document, some of us just enjoy the banter along with the info, as for You its clearly not, but i note that you addressed my main moan about the Spivo by a Re Map,a good boost i must say,and fitting decent lights. You clearly enjoy your ride for all the right reasons, but in My Daughters case it was "Look at Me", well in keeping with 80 % of Tuna Users , IMO,which i'm entitled too..........thumbsup.gif

Yeah well, Fredob can't resist an opportunity to debate the superiority of Fortuner over the Pajero Sport, and you can't resist an oppty to air your views on the Fortuner either.

I went to watch the V8 Supercars at Bathurst once. I'm pretty sure I saw both of you sitting on the hill somewhere, just not sure which sides you were backing then - AOP in the Holden camp, and Frebob on the Ford side I guess ;)

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 2

Mr Fredob ,the Forum isn't a Legal Document, some of us just enjoy the banter along with the info, as for You its clearly not, but i note that you addressed my main moan about the Spivo by a Re Map,a good boost i must say,and fitting decent lights. You clearly enjoy your ride for all the right reasons, but in My Daughters case it was "Look at Me", well in keeping with 80 % of Tuna Users , IMO,which i'm entitled too..........thumbsup.gif

Yeah well, Fredob can't resist an opportunity to debate the superiority of Fortuner over the Pajero Sport, and you can't resist an oppty to air your views on the Fortuner either.

I went to watch the V8 Supercars at Bathurst once. I'm pretty sure I saw both of you sitting on the hill somewhere, just not sure which sides you were backing then - AOP in the Holden camp, and Frebob on the Ford side I guess wink.png

You would never know what side I back as I change my mind all the time.

Having had a Vigo and a Sportivo for many year's I think I'm a pretty good judge of both, yep neither are perfect and I think I state that in my post, also what can be done to rectify same.

What get's up my nose is silly pointless post like 'there a load of crap' from someone who has not had either.

Yes we would all like the imported top of the range merc Bmw who wouldn't but because of the stupid tax's in Thailand they out of most peep's reach not to mention not one of them is worth paying the sort of monies that they ask for them here.

You just have to pick what you think is the best of a bad bunch alter it as best possible and hope it all doesn't go pare shaped, then if you feel inclined place a post so that everyone who's thinking of buying a new limo has the option to decide.

I do bat for the Fortuner as have driven both that and the Pajero I think it come's out best but both have to have work = bt spent on them to get them up to scratch.

If you just want an MPV go for the Pajero better price wise I will agree, weather it's the right choice that's up to you to decide.

Off now as I might change my mind...... NA.

• Like 1

I went to watch the V8 Supercars at Bathurst once. I'm pretty sure I saw both of you sitting on the hill somewhere, just not sure which sides you were backing then - AOP in the Holden camp, and Frebob on the Ford side I guess wink.png

Having had a Vigo and a Sportivo for many year's I think I'm a pretty good judge of both, yep neither are perfect and I think I state that in my post, also what can be done to rectify same.

What get's up my nose is silly pointless post like 'there a load of crap' from someone who has not had either.

Yes we would all like the imported top of the range merc Bmw who wouldn't but because of the stupid tax's in Thailand they out of most peep's reach not to mention not one of them is worth paying the sort of monies that they ask for them here.

You just have to pick what you think is the best of a bad bunch alter it as best possible and hope it all doesn't go pare shaped, then if you feel inclined place a post so that everyone who's thinking of buying a new limo has the option to decide.

I do bat for the Fortuner as have driven both that and the Pajero I think it come's out best but both have to have work = bt spent on them to get them up to scratch.

If you just want an MPV go for the Pajero better price wise I will agree, weather it's the right choice that's up to you to decide.

OK, so what you're saying is the Fortuner is the "cream of the crap"? :P

Sorry, another one from one of our Aussie staff I've been waiting to use :)

• Like 1

OK, so what you're saying is the Fortuner is the "cream of the crap"? tongue.png

Sorry, another one from one of our Aussie staff I've been waiting to use smile.png

Gawd wouldn't I love an Audi Q7. smile.png , but alas never to be. sad.png

OK, so what you're saying is the Fortuner is the "cream of the crap"? tongue.png

Sorry, another one from one of our Aussie staff I've been waiting to use smile.png

No what I'm saying is you don't have much choice it's Thai made stuff or nothing.

We would all love Limo's like the Q7 but alas at the price they would be there not to mention a down graded version you would have to be out of your mind to buy one.

Pity really as driving there can at time's can be a real joy, even with the rubbish traffic.

Stuck in England at the moment where most town's now have a 20mph speed limit, speed camera's, cop's on every other corner with their radar gun's waiting to stop all that go 2mph above the stated limit handing out fixed fine's of £70 + 3 point's on your licence, one eye on the road and one on the speedo Oh what joy.

No matter what you driving just enjoy even an old Thai rust bucket is better than this crap.

As I've always said IMHO, you can't polish a turd........biggrin.png. Fortuner's and Pajero's do have their place in this country though as I'm sure you'll agree.

Test drive before handing over that sort of cash but, coming from the Philippines where did...

Comparing what I consider to be equals

Montero Sport - less refined inside. Feels smaller.

Pajero - nicer inside. Certainly smaller. 3rd row of seats are pretty much useless. Fugly

Fortuner - good in floods and similar. Certainly the closest to being an proper off-roader with selectable 4x4, lock diff etc.BMW-ish level of comfort inside. Big without being enourmous. Common enough to mean a steady 2nd hand market value and mechanics have a great knowledge of the engine / other parts.

I know if someone gave my wife 1m baht for a car, she'd own a black Fortuner within minutes.!

Edited by makecoldplayhistory

Thanks for all the responses. I opted for the top Pajero 4WD model in the end. So.... if money were no object, what modifications would you make? (Please.... no "replace it with a Fortuner" comments :) )

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thanks for all the responses. I opted for the top Pajero 4WD model in the end. So.... if money were no object, what modifications would you make? (Please.... no "replace it with a Fortuner" comments smile.png )

Do not put a tint on front window change the light's to xenon, rear camera . Other than that enjoy.

Just asked for a strip of tint top of windscreen. I've xenon as standard on my 2005/6 model CRV in France, got used to them, yes definitely worth changing. Maybe got my models mixed up with all the to-ing and fro-ing between dealers last week, but I thought it had a rear camera. Either way I want one, another thing I got used to on the CRV.

Thanks for all the responses. I opted for the top Pajero 4WD model in the end. So.... if money were no object, what modifications would you make? (Please.... no "replace it with a Fortuner" comments smile.png )

Congratulations on your new SUV! clap2.gif

- If you care about maintaining your vehicle's performance, only use Shell V-Power diesel fuel and 100% brand name synthetic oils (like Mobil 1).

- Your first motor oil change should preferably be at 1,000 km - 5,000 km. (We will forgive you if you use 'reg' motor oil this time only!)

- I also highly recommend replacing your present transmission fluid with a trusted brand name 100% synthetic fluid.

- Improve both your ride comfort and ride quality with a tire upgrade the first thing after picking up your new SUV - Yokohama Prada Spec-X are what I recommend.

- Improve your safety by upgrading to high rated gas shock absorbers.

- Install a racechip and a K&N air filter.

- Upgrade your brakes! There are different stages and combinations of brake upgrades from the basic increased rotor size to larger calipers.

-

Having all of the above done will guarantee you a long term top performing SUV that will be a joy to drive! wai2.gif

- If you care about maintaining your vehicle's performance, only use Shell V-Power diesel fuel and 100% brand name synthetic oils (like Mobil 1).

- Your first motor oil change should preferably be at 1,000 km - 5,000 km. (We will forgive you if you use 'reg' motor oil this time only!)

- I also highly recommend replacing your present transmission fluid with a trusted brand name 100% synthetic fluid.

- Improve both your ride comfort and ride quality with a tire upgrade the first thing after picking up your new SUV - Yokohama Prada Spec-X are what I recommend.

- Upgrade your brakes! There are different stages and combinations of brake upgrades from the basic increased rotor size to larger calipers.

-

Having all of the above done will guarantee you a long term top performing SUV that will be a joy to drive! wai2.gif

So,what happens to the Factory Warranty after doing all this? wink.png

-

What warranty.................laugh.png

C'mon, now ....

I had all of these upgrades performed plus I had the original rear drum brakes replaced with rear disc brakes. So, any factory warranty coverage 'for the brakes' could be void, big deal. The factory warranty only warrants the brake system against brake component failure .... besides, you will be installing higher quality and new brake components onto a brand new car PLUS you will be increasing your and everyone's personal safety with better braking power. Brother, you can't begin to imagine the peace of mind that knowing you have top notch brakes, tires and vehicle handling gives you on these wet roads and accident/injury avoidance - until you need it!

Other than that, do as I do and easily remove the K&N air filter and racechip prior to each dealership service visit just to avoid any added attention. I don't mention the transmission fluid change to them but I do bring in my 100% Mobil One and have them refill with it at oil change times. That reminds me, I will be due for another oil change after my next Bkk and CM trips.

In other words, no problem with voiding engine warranty, in fact the techs have come up to me and asked where I got my brake work done - Runstop, BTW.

Edited by thailoht

What warranty.................laugh.png

Transam...sometimes you do get it right...wink.pngbiggrin.png

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

And remember, the ''Tech'' guys will not come into the equation if you try a warranty claim, in fact they will grass you up. whistling.gif .................laugh.png

Ah-hah! That must be what he was referring to when he said...'Sometimes you do get it right' wink.pngbiggrin.png

And remember, the ''Tech'' guys will not come into the equation if you try a warranty claim, in fact they will grass you up. whistling.gif .................laugh.png

Ah-hah! That must be what he was referring to when he said...'Sometimes you do get it right' wink.pngbiggrin.png

That was a joke,if you did not get it tongue.png

On the serious matter,if someone gives advise here,it should be serious(!) and correct IMO.....doing Mods to a new car is the responsibility of the owner and he/she should at least realize,that this action can/may void the factory warranty.

Some/most of us DO value the new car warranty....maybe for some/few it does not matter....their choice....

• Like 2

On the serious matter,if someone gives advise here,it should be serious(!) and correct IMO.....doing Mods to a new car is the responsibility of the owner and he/she should at least realize,that this action can/may void the factory warranty.

Some/most of us DO value the new car warranty....maybe for some/few it does not matter....their choice....

I'm after resale value myself. My SUV has been serviced by the book and logged accordingly by our dealer. If I decide to sell that is :)

Sent using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Garry

That was a joke,if you did not get it tongue.png

On the serious matter, if someone gives advise here,it should be serious(!) and correct IMO.....doing Mods to a new car is the responsibility of the owner and he/she should at least realize,that this action can/may void the factory warranty.

I agree whole heatedly, especially with your,

if someone gives advise here,it should be serious(!) and correct IMO.....doing Mods to a new car is the responsibility of the owner and he/she should at least realize,that this action can/may void the factory warranty.

In fact, all of these elements are stated in my reply above ..... so I ask what is the point are you trying to make here?

Thanks for all the responses. I opted for the top Pajero 4WD model in the end. So.... if money were no object, what modifications would you make? (Please.... no "replace it with a Fortuner" comments Posted Image )

Do not put a tint on front window change the light's to xenon, rear camera . Other than that enjoy.

It comes with auto-leveling HID headlamps as standard.

I agree whole heatedly, especially with your,

if someone gives advise here,it should be serious(!) and correct IMO.....doing Mods to a new car is the responsibility of the owner and he/she should at least realize,that this action can/may void the factory warranty.

In fact, all of these elements are stated in my reply above ..... so I ask what is the point are you trying to make here?

Sorry,I did not say that your advice to the new Pajero owner was incorrect,only you forgot to mention or didn't know yourself about the warranty issues....

If you change your headlights to xenon,it's an electrical issue=void warranty on electrical system...

If you change fluids in your engine and modify stuff on your own= void engine warranty ...

If you mess with brakes,suspension,change wheels etc =void drive train warranty...

....what did I miss? smile.png

• Like 1