Where to buy 'BIRDS CUSTARD or AMBROSIA CUSTARD'' or something similar

robertthebruce

Never seen either the tinned or packet varieties of custard, however, if I make something like a steamed sponge pudding, I use this recipe:

http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/cuisine/european/english/traditional-english-custard.html

Much better than any ready made 'brand'.

Hi

Thanks for that, but i am lazy as anything when it comes to cooking, shall pursue my search for ''Ambrosia or Birds''

Cheers

If you have a Villa or Foodland down there it should be stocked probably in the home baking area.

I bought Birds in Villa in BKK at 99 baht for a 300 gram container.

I live in Khampaeng Phet so if I visit the "big city" I make up a shopping list for the very hard to get items.

There is a Thai brand custard powder that I buy, cheap (300g/30 Baht) and perfectly good.

Has the brand Winner's Custard Powder in English printed in red on a clear plastic bag, along with some Thai script that I assume says the same?

......or make your own it is only cornflour + vanilla flavouring + yellow coloring.

From a Thai centric supermarket/wholesaler in central Issan.

• Like 1

These " custard " powders, are corn starch with flavouring and colouring. Easy enough to replicate if you really want to eat flavoured Starch .

Try to make a true custard with milk, cream and eggs, not difficult and most certainly worth it, and you'll never crave the Bird's sh.t again. whistling.gif

• Like 1

These " custard " powders, are corn starch with flavouring and colouring. Easy enough to replicate if you really want to eat flavoured Starch .

Try to make a true custard with milk, cream and eggs, not difficult and most certainly worth it, and you'll never crave the Bird's sh.t again. whistling.gif

Sounds easy--- can you supply me the quantities and do you omit the vanilla-----hope so as cannot buy it here-------- Dougal

Does anyone know anywhere you can buy Ambrosia Creamed Rice or something similar in Thailand please ?

Make your own, plenty of recipes on the Internet its only rice, milk, suger with vanilla alvailable at villa mart real and artificial

The problem with that is getting the right type of rice to make it with.

You are in thailand, and you want Ambrosia custard,

Yep, ever since i was a Kid, i have loved it, and yearn for it every so often..

and also ''Chocolate Angel Delight''... thats another one for me too..

I used to love Ambrosia Creamed rice best cold from a tin in the fridge and preferred Strawberry Angel delight to Chocolate any day.

• Like 1

You are in thailand, and you want Ambrosia custard,

Yep, ever since i was a Kid, i have loved it, and yearn for it every so often..

and also ''Chocolate Angel Delight''... thats another one for me too..

I used to love Ambrosia Creamed rice best cold from a tin in the fridge and preferred Strawberry Angel delight to Chocolate any day.

Have held rice-pudding in horror ever since school dinners.

I agree about the strawberry Angel Delight, though.

• 2 months later...

re

royallee brand at macro is pretty good

great ... got that :)

but i dont have a gas ring or electric ring so any ideas how to cook a mugfull of fairly runny custard in a microwave ? without lots of failures to pour over a small warm apple and blueberry pie

you have two days to complete your task !

or i will be custard less and disapointed on xmas

day :(

dave2

post-42592-0-91309100-1387804542_thumb.j