Goodbye MSE?

JetsetBkk

So, I'm running MSE on a Win7 desktop and Win7 Laptop. I want something that will more or less look after itself, my computer knowledge is 'not exactly brilliant!!) to say the least.

So I should uninstall MSE and then install??

I have spybot - Malwarebytes - ASC6 -- IOBit Malwarefighter on both machines ..... thanks for any advice.

Never run 2 antivirus at the same time - it will likely cause problems. So uninstall MSE before adding something else.

Avast is currently one of the best of the free ones - just need to register your email after the first month but no cost for standard features.

Malwarebytes is ok alongside an antivirus (since its not an antivirus) - also highly recommended, especially to double check any potential issues or infections, as well as helping remove threats.

I never had - or still have - a problem with MSE insofar as I haven't had a virus for many years - 7, 8, 9 or longer? I really can't remember.

According to this web site MSE is very good at not giving false alarms! But maybe that's because it's not so good at giving genuine alarms. biggrin.png

I understand MS's argument that they concentrate on MSE stopping real-world malware, not simply getting the highest score in a bunch of tests that include viruses that most people will never get.

BitDefender appears to score very well, according to that same web site.

I never had - or still have - a problem with MSE insofar as I haven't had a virus for many years - 7, 8, 9 or longer? I really can't remember.

According to this web site MSE is very good at not giving false alarms! But maybe that's because it's not so good at giving genuine alarms. biggrin.png

I understand MS's argument that they concentrate on MSE stopping real-world malware, not simply getting the highest score in a bunch of tests that include viruses that most people will never get.

Are you joking? The tests are there to check a products ability to identify known threats.

If MSE can't find them, it isn't doing it's job.

You wouldn't need any antivirus if you only used email and didn't allow anything to execute from it.

MS are basically admitting their product is shit.

Are you joking? The tests are there to check a products ability to identify known threats.

If MSE can't find them, it isn't doing it's job.

You wouldn't need any antivirus if you only used email and didn't allow anything to execute from it.

MS are basically admitting their product is shit.

Don't you ever post anything that is, you know, sort of "reasonable"? Everything is an extreme with you, isn't it! biggrin.png

I've been using MSE for the last 4 years and never got a virus while using it.

Do you drive a 4-wheel drive SUV, bullet proof with a snorkel air intake? No, neither do I because I'd never meet the conditions where I'd need it. MS is saying that MSE meets the requirements of most people in the real world and the tests don't reflect the malware that their customers actually encounter.

You should read the MS report: http://blogs.technet.com/b/mmpc/archive/2013/01/16/lessons-learned-from-the-latest-test-results.aspx

If you think MSE is so bad, please explain why I haven't had any malware for all the time I've been using it.

Because you've been lucky that's how.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'll elaborate. I've always warned people that this is insufficient to protect a Windows computer.

If you've gone years without getting an infection, one of two things are in play.

(1) You're extraordinarily careful and minimal in your browsing and have been very lucky.

or

(2) You have other protections that you're not talking about.

If Microsoft are admitting that their product is crap, I'd listen to them.

And I can tell you that MS Endpoint Protection is just as crap, although its centralised management features mean it isn't completely useless; however I still would not depend on it on its own.

I've never understood why Microsoft don't put more effort into their malware protection products, after all they're everyone's biggest target.

(Added: Maybe because they were always being threatened with lawsuits by the AV industry).

Edited by Chicog

Could save the hassle of all this anti virus garbage and get a Mac problem solved :0)

Yep cos there aren't any viruses that affect Macs, right? Posted Image

Most Mac users wouldn't even know if they had one.

Posted Image

Hahaha very true. Is not something that happens very often.

Mac OS X is simply a graphical front end on BSD Unix operating system. Have you ever heard of a "virus" for BSD Unix? No.

There are Trojan horses...programs you can download from torrents or comprised websites that you THINK are legit but actually install malware. That's a different story than a "virus".

That's essentially why Apple started the App Store and implemented sandboxing in OS X. Get your apps from the App Store...no issues with trojans, virus or anything.

The advantage to OS X over Windows is that to install something on your system usually requires a the user to enter a password. Whereas on Windows you simply click on the .exe file or .com file and you're hosed. So people get easily fooled into thinking they are clicking on a website address...opening a picture or what have you and actually running a .exe file and getting themselves infected. Even just plugging in an infected USB drive will hose you on Windows.

Now as far as "you have to run a program through email to get a virus", that's not exactly true. There are other exploits through Java, and Microsoft Word that you can get nailed by just visiting a website or opening a document. (EVERYONE...Mac and Windows users alike should DISABLE Java in their browsers...it's a security nightmare).

• Like 1

I just wasted 5 minutes of my life scanning this thread and CANNOT find a Microsoft link saying that they are ditching the product? Did I miss it?

Maybe re reading the first post smile.png would be a good idea

I'd rather have a virus than a processor-sapping, advert-bothering free AV. A virus is a short-term annoyance solved by a reimage - free AVs annoy every time you boot your pc.

You obviously don't know much about current malware.

The days of "stoned" are long gone.

I've also been searching and reading various sites about this interview and what was actually said, as well as the AV gurus take on it and the responses in various forums. This has sure been a big bombshell thrown in the middle of the AV community.

While being a linux user, I still must live in a windows world, and I maintain a number of windows computers for my family and a few friends, three of which are using MSE. So far, from everything I have read, I'm not going to be installing other AVs in those computers.........yet. I'm going to wait a while for all of the dust to settle down and see what response MS may have to all this.

Meanwhile, jocko, your attachment looks very interesting, so if you wouldn't mind posting the link, I would be interested in reading more of the responses. I think a link to this would be OK for the mods, but if not, you can PM me.

I'd rather have a virus than a processor-sapping, advert-bothering free AV. A virus is a short-term annoyance solved by a reimage - free AVs annoy every time you boot your pc.

There is no advertising or processor sapping action using Bitdefender - it runs normal scans only when processor is not busy and does not use much power at all and there is no start up annoy of any kind. About the only time you know it is there is report clean after full scan or you try to visit a web site containing malware. There might be a once a week pop up or something - can not even remember as so minor.

• Like 1

I just wasted 5 minutes of my life scanning this thread and CANNOT find a Microsoft link saying that they are ditching the product? Did I miss it?

They aren't ditching it, they are just (finally) admitting it isn't good enough on its own.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security/384394/microsoft-security-essentials-is-designed-to-be-bottom-of-the-antivirus-rankings

Although in fairness not one product offers 100% protection, if it did it would sell boatloads.

Edited by Chicog

They aren't ditching it, they are just (finally) admitting it isn't good enough on its own.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/security/384394/microsoft-security-essentials-is-designed-to-be-bottom-of-the-antivirus-rankings

Although in fairness not one product offers 100% protection, if it did it would sell boatloads.

My point exactly, whereas the o/p suggested it was being ditched

I just looked at Microsoft's own web site, for this product (crap as it may well be!) but it is still going on un-ditched.

• Like 1

You obviously don't know much about current malware.

The days of "stoned" are long gone.

No I don't as I haven't had a virus for years. I use MSE and will continue to do so.

There is no advertising or processor sapping action using Bitdefender - it runs normal scans only when processor is not busy and does not use much power at all and there is no start up annoy of any kind. About the only time you know it is there is report clean after full scan or you try to visit a web site containing malware. There might be a once a week pop up or something - can not even remember as so minor.

Well that sounds promising, and might be a good alternative then. Though a once a week pop-up would still annoy me a bit. My understanding of MSE is that it works at a lower level than others due to it being an MS product, hence the lightness. Maybe Bitdefender is equally light, but I suspect it isn't.

My point exactly, whereas the o/p suggested it was being ditched

I just looked at Microsoft's own web site, for this product (crap as it may well be!) but it is still going on un-ditched.

Yes, the article in the "How-To Geek" that I linked to was totally over the top. I'm afraid the HTG has realized he can get a lot more clicks and make more dosh if he exaggerates his claims and pushes out multiple articles each day. There was a time when he sent out maybe one or two a week. Now my inbox is full of his stuff, and less and less is worth reading.