Worth getting married?

mrjohn

This is a serious topic

Is there really any advantage in getting married?

I have been very happy with my girlfriend for eight years. Apart from the obvious fact that I would only need to show an income of 400,000 Bht instead of 800,000 Bht (a curious bit of Thai logic in my opinion)I am wondering what sort of advantages there are for either, or both of us.

Any helpful advice would be very much appreciated.

I am married because of the Visa for my wife in Europe.

We both agree without that issue we wouldn't have married. If we want to live together we want to live together no matter if married or not.

If we don't like each other....we don't like each other no matter of married or not.

• Like 1

What is Marriage? A union sanctioned by the government. A piece of paper.

If your happy, your wife is your best friend, you live your life for her and she for you then you have NO need for any government to sanction your union.....you and your better half have already done that and that's all that's necessary....UNLESS (as others have said) you have to get visa's or other government assistance for which is only available to married couples.

To be honest, when the missus and I got married some 14 years ago, it was more to appease the families on both sides than having anything to do with our living together. The only other benefit from the marriage at the time was the ease of the visa application issues.

It is arguable now-a-days if marriage is a social requirement from our societies, or that it is based on a religious belief. Personally, I couldn't care less for both, if you are happy with what you have at the minute, continue to be happy!

Like CharlieH said earlier, "Don't try to fix it if it ain't broke!"

thumbsup.gif

Edited by chrisinth

If you are on a pension, you maybe required to be married in order for your wife to be able to claim on your pension or life insurance policy if you kick the bucket. But as for the guys, I cannot see any advantages of being married at all. Better to be a free agent, and then these women have no claims on you. I think especially in Thailand, marriage means nothing, even if there are children involved, unless you are under 50 and want to use marriage as a means of staying in Thailand. For the over 50s on a pension and can afford the 800000 baht in the bank retirement visa regulation, why bother to get married?

Except for legal or official purposes, such as taking a Thai wife on a marriage visa back to the home country, and for some reasons I have already mentioned above, if intending to remain in Thailand with a partner, there are no good reasons to get married. In fact in many cases the guy is actually placing himself at a disadvantage by burdening himself in a marriage.

In Thailand there are no common spouse laws, which means legally the man or the women can just walk away from a relationship if it doesn’t work out rather than being tied down to each other for life just because of a piece of paper. This is legally, as for the moral issues involved, that’s another story for another thread.

unless your gf has her own job and money i don't see why she would want to accept "not getting married" so that you can leave her high and dry when a younger model comes along. now, sure, you might still do that even if you are married, but if you are married she can rake you over the coals before you leave for the new totty.

This is a serious topic

Is there really any advantage in getting married?

I have been very happy with my girlfriend for eight years. Apart from the obvious fact that I would only need to show an income of 400,000 Bht instead of 800,000 Bht (a curious bit of Thai logic in my opinion)I am wondering what sort of advantages there are for either, or both of us.

Any helpful advice would be very much appreciated.

Yeah, it... why not !

totster smile.png

It all depends, kids yes get married.

My wife wanted us to get married so she can fell that we live "proper" toghether.

My wife will get whatever I have saved when I die and the house and the truck & motorbikes.

If I die before I reach 65 my wife & son will get a small yearly pension from my private pension for the rest of their lifes.

So for me it's best to be married and also only 400k baht in the bank for visa as others also mention.

Thanks for all the replies.

The general consensus appears to be that there is little or no advantage in getting married.

Particular thanks to beetlejuice for providing the sort of info I was looking for.

Quote:

"if intending to remain in Thailand with a partner, there are no good reasons to get married. In fact in many cases the guy is actually placing himself at a disadvantage by burdening himself in a marriage."

Anybody got anything to add to this?

Perhaps I should clarify a few points as to our circumstances.

I am British and the long-term girlfriend is (of course) Thai.

If we were living in the UK, then I suspect it would be advantageous, or even necessary, for us to be married for residency and citizenship purposes. However, I have no intention of going back to the UK to live.

No, we don't have any children between us, nor are we going to have any.

Having to show less money to support my visa extension may become an issue for me at some time in the future, so this is one of the reasons why I was trying to get some ideas of any positive advantage in having a relationship legally ratified.

So, bearing this in mind, is there anything to gain from getting married?

I have exactly the opposite opinion to BJ.

If you are retired, want children, or just stabilise your relationship, absolutely no reason not to get married in Thailand.

You can inherit the house you bought her (using a home loan in her name and life insurance in her name), you can be the father of your children, you can even inherit her family farm (assuming you marry a woman that isn't penniless).

As someone else mentioned, free health insurance for you, if she is a government employee.

You might even manage to get Thai citizenship off the back of the marriage.

Or at the worst, the Thai government won't try, quite so hard, to throw you out when/if they decide to dump all the retirees.

As long as you don't take her back to your home country, very little in the way of negatives.

Edited by FiftyTwo

I do not look at marriage as a business proposition, it is a matter of the heart, It does not matter if you are in Thailand or in your home country

Being married is more than just a piece of paper, may be to you but not to me, it is making a commitment to the person you love. That you will stand by her, no matter what the future holds, circumstances may change in your relationship as mine did back in the old country after 20 years of marriage, and yes ,I lost every thing in the divorce court.

I chose to make that same commitment to my Thai wife, I built her a house (our home) that will be hers not matter if our marriage last or does not. She earned it for being a perfect wife for the past 8 years and putting up with all my crap.

My reply to the OP is, if you have to ask others, it is best not to get married, as true marriage is not for everyone.

Cheers:wai2.gif