Thai jasmine rice promoted as quality gift for foreigners to take home

webfact

I remember a some years back when I still had to return to the states for work I told the guys I worked with, most grew up sons of rice farmers in SE Texas, that I had read an article that Thailand had patented Jasmine rice. They just laughed, said they had been growing Jasmine rice for over 20 years.

i prefer cardboard to texas jasmine rice

• Like 1

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

with the carryon weight restrictions tightening on board as well as security check points, does one want to go this far

with rice? for the same weight, I rather carry a box gift of chocolate or snack of some sort.

What a load of Poppycock. 1-2KG added to baggage of substandard Rice from stockpiles only fools will do. Anybody that knows Rice (Farangs) Have a great source of unpolished superb Jasmine rice and it makes its way round the world no matter what. Silly TAT

Wonder what the tourists will think when on returning home they get sprung for bring food products into their country. Big fines....

And what about the creepie crawlies in the rice ?? Quarantine will go mad !!

While Thai Hom Mali rice is probably the best rice I've ever tasted and smelled, the Thai government has in my 10 years in this country always been delusional about the "fame" of its Jasmine rice. They think it's renown all over the world and that people in other countries clamor for it. Well, nobody buys it overseas because it is always the most expensive rice on the grocery store shelves. Their main customers are Thais living abroad and Thai restaurants.

But really, to think that people want to bring rice back home is so absurd. If someone gave me a bag of rice, I'd think, "Thanks cheapskate, next time I go to Idaho, I'm picking up a sack of potatoes for you."

Is someone actually being paid to come up with plans like this? Or is it just another way to spend public money to launch a pr-campaign. A campaign of course organised by a TROC (= Thaksin related overcharging company). Could be more profitable than selling clocks for government house.

If an Australian or any traveller flying into any of our airports from Thailand walked up to quarantine/ customs holding a bag of rice it would be immediately confiscated and burned.

It will be burned along with all the other crap food passengers bring in to Australia from SEAsia and China.

Who the hell wants to receive a gift or buy a bag of useless rice and fly anywhere with it ?

Has anyone overseas ever heard of Thai jasmine rice . who cares?

How old is the rice anyway....2 years? Idiots.

Your comments about Australian Customs is not correct. If you fail to declare food products on your incoming declaration form, and are caught, yes, you are in for trouble. If you declare food items, you are funnelled into quaranteen where your belongings are inspected, and, dependant on what it is you are carrying it is up to the discretion of the inspecting officer. This is on the the whole a faster way through customs than the 'Nothing to Declare" queue. My customs declaration usually has a few issues declared, my favorite is to get my boots checked for mud, as I live in a rural area, and when visiting Oz it's usually to the country, I feel it is of paramount inportance not to bring desease and or insects in. I give my footwear a really good scrub prior to departure and the often friendly quaranteen inspectors, in appreciation of my honesty, give them an added clean for good measure.

I think it's a brilliant idea for tourism. Some guy in the U.K. , Australia or wherever..... To his wife "honey we've run out of rice . I'll just duck out and get some" A couple of days in Pattaya and he picks up the 1KG of rice at King Power on his way out through swampy to take back home to the wife.

What could be better.

Couple of days in Pattaya and he'll probably pick something else up and take back home to the wife too!

• Like 1

Great idea!

I suggest the following gifts for other countries:

Ireland = Bag of potatoes

England = Plate of black pudding

New Zealand = Bag of kiwifruit

Australian = Tonne of Coal

France = Spoonful of snails

Germany = Half of Poland

Sweden = 5 Ikea Meatballs

Denmark = Box of Lego

China = A bottle of fake milk

I am stuck on what the USA could offer.,.. any ideas?

mr. yanyong hasn't done his homework.. Most food products are banned from entering Australia and I would imagine that there are other Countries that have similar policies. Australia grows good quality Jasmine Rice which is available from any local Supermarket.

Great idea!

I suggest the following gifts for other countries:

Ireland = Bag of potatoes

England = Plate of black pudding

New Zealand = Bag of kiwifruit

Australian = Tonne of Coal

France = Spoonful of snails

Germany = Half of Poland

Sweden = 5 Ikea Meatballs

Denmark = Box of Lego

China = A bottle of fake milk

I am stuck on what the USA could offer.,.. any ideas?

Germany = half of Poland

Can you elaborate on that?

This is totally non PC (not paleolithically correct):

"...subtle aroma and flavor, and also full of nutrients,
the ministry considers it an edible culture of the country."

Hmm, aromatic, nutrient dense and edible!

The Thai mad-men have thrown this irresisstable copy
into the mix and now we're going to have rice
mountains in Europe, not to mention the already well
established grain mountains across the globe.

Damn! ...and I had just started the Paleo Diet!
Fingers crossed that rice eating doesn't take-off in the west.

This is just not PC.

Big problem will be the confiscation of it when they get back to customs/agriculture in their own country ...

No... you see the Thai goverment is really cleaver, as you leave the kingdom your prized collection of rice will be confiscated by the customes department because you wont have the correct export documentation.