converting a tourist visa to an O retirement visa.

I am somewhat confused, so I'd like to clarify the situation, please.

From the threads here I believe I can arrive in Thailand on a tourist visa, go to immigration and take all the steps necessary to obtain an O retirement visa. Is that correct?

I could apply in my home country for an O A visa, but they want me to have police checks for the past 5 years, which will be very difficult for me to provide.

Can I apply for a Thai police check from another country?

Thanks.

Yes you can do a conversion from a tourist visa entry but you need to meet financial requirements before you can apply.

You don't' need a police certificate from Thailand to apply for the OA visa. One from your home country is all that is required.

Yes you can do a conversion from a tourist visa entry but you need to meet financial requirements before you can apply.

You don't' need a police certificate from Thailand to apply for the OA visa. One from your home country is all that is required.

Thanks.

I was told that I need police checks for 5 years, which would include my time in Thailand.

In any event there is no police check for extensions of stay (what is done in Thailand) but you will have to have proof of age over 50 and 800k in Thai bank account or 65k per month income from Embassy or combination to meet 800k per year. This gets the non immigrant entry if you had arrived on visa exempt or tourist visa (cost 2,000 baht) and then the actual extension can be made later and if time is required for money to season there is no problem as stay will be 3 months from application on the new non immigrant visa entry.

Thanks for the replies.

Further query.

I am currently on an O retirement visa, but unable to have 800,000 in the bank so will be going home to arrange for more money ( can't do it here ) when the current one ends. That means I will be starting from scratch when I return. Does that mean I have to have the money in for 2 months, or 3 months?

If I can get an O A visa from home country, I'll do that, but if not, will have to do it here.

When I was last home, I went to the consulate and they said I had to have a police check. Even if it's not 5 years, I'd still need one from Thailand. So, can I obtain a Thai police check while in another country?

Thanks.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

"If I can get an O A visa from home country, I'll do that, but if not, will have to do it here."

You can't get an O-A in Thailand.

A Non Imm O will be fine. You extend it in Thailand for retirement. No police check or medical needed.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

Further query.

I am currently on an O retirement visa, but unable to have 800,000 in the bank so will be going home to arrange for more money ( can't do it here ) when the current one ends. That means I will be starting from scratch when I return. Does that mean I have to have the money in for 2 months, or 3 months?

If I can get an O A visa from home country, I'll do that, but if not, will have to do it here.

When I was last home, I went to the consulate and they said I had to have a police check. Even if it's not 5 years, I'd still need one from Thailand. So, can I obtain a Thai police check while in another country?

Thanks.

You do not need a Thai police check it is not required. I suspect the reason for that is because they can request it themselves.

From posted link.

- A letter of verification issued from the country of his or her nationality or residence stating that the applicant has no criminal record (verification shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notarised by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission).

Yes you request the police certificate via special branch police but it would take several weeks to get.

Thanks for the replies.

Further query.

I am currently on an O retirement visa, but unable to have 800,000 in the bank so will be going home to arrange for more money ( can't do it here ) when the current one ends. That means I will be starting from scratch when I return. Does that mean I have to have the money in for 2 months, or 3 months?

When I was last home, I went to the consulate and they said I had to have a police check. Even if it's not 5 years, I'd still need one from Thailand. So, can I obtain a Thai police check while in another country?

Thanks.

You do not need a Thai police check it is not required. I suspect the reason for that is because they can request it themselves.

From posted link.

- A letter of verification issued from the country of his or her nationality or residence stating that the applicant has no criminal record (verification shall be valid for not more than three months and should be notarised by notary organs or the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission).

Yes you request the police certificate via special branch police but it would take several weeks to get.

Not sure what country you are referring to concerning "the police certificate via special branch police but it would take several weeks to get." I recently obtained one in the US. Took all of a half hour at the local court house for a total cost of $30.00.

The Thai embassy could request a Thai police records check directly if they wanted to.

If you are asking about my quote of the info from the MFA website that would be your home country.

Edited by ubonjoe
  • Like 1

My O -A Visa from The Royal Thai Consulate in Hawaii required clear police abstract, states I

have not arrests. You need a medical certificate, proof you have a reoccuring income of 65K

Baht per month. You pay a fee of $175 and your visa will be good for two years. That's what

I did..........Why will you have difficulty with the police abstract, that's easy, they charge a fee

of $20 to search your name and give you the clear abstract.

((flame removed))

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

My O -A Visa from The Royal Thai Consulate in Hawaii required clear police abstract, states I

have not arrests. You need a medical certificate, proof you have a reoccuring income of 65K

Baht per month. You pay a fee of $175 and your visa will be good for two years. That's what

I did..........Why will you have difficulty with the police abstract, that's easy, they charge a fee

of $20 to search your name and give you the clear abstract.

((flame removed))

"You pay a fee of $175 and your visa will be good for two years." - I think that you are referring to obtaining a multi entry one year visa and do the leave and return before visa expiration to get the (almost) second full year process?

I see a lot of confusion here.

The police check is required when applying for an O-A Visa in your home country, (that's not the same as O visa) if that presents any problem (as it does for many of us, myself included) then simply get a O visa for which there is no requirement for a police check, and do the retirement extension in Thailand.. again no police check required.

It is possible in some circumstances to have a tourist visa converted to a O visa for the purpose of getting a retirement extension, I have seen it be done with no fuss and I have also seen immigration officers deny the possibility of it ever happening. So you take your chances with that one, if you can just get a O visa then the process may be a lot easier.

An O-A visa is a special service only available in the country of your normal residence, it involves more checks and time than a O visa but somewhat simplifies the process in Thailand of converting to a retirement extension.. overall most expats agree that it's a waste of time, it's easy and fuss free to get a O visa and then apply for extension of stay for the purpose of retirement.

As always, any info is subject to change at any time, and different immigration officers can interpret the rules any way they wish.

• Like 2

For some getting the non-o visa is that not that easy. Thai embassies and official consulates in a persons home country will not issue a non-o visa for retirement they will issue a non-oa visa. If there is no honorary consulate in a persons home country the only choice is to get a single entry tourist visa and do a conversion at immigration.

If it helps any, I actually went from a 30 day exempt to a retirement visa last week. I went to Hua Hin Immigration first to find out exactly what I needed. I took my Thai sister in law with me on my second visit with all the necessary paperwork and proofs they asked for. I was in and out within 30 minutes.

Thanks.

I was told that I need police checks for 5 years, which would include my time in Thailand.

For an O-A visa you only need a criminal record's report for your own country of residence ... and not for five years but your entire life.

Edited by HerbalEd

What do anyone here know about the criminal records check?

What criminal incidents will negate getting an O-A visa? Has anyone here, or someone you know personally ever been refused a visa based upon a criminal records report? For what kind(s) of offenses.

Does it matter what kind of criminal offense? Misdemeanor vs. felony? Would a misdemeanor (not arrested) record for a tiny amount of marijuana nix getting an O-A visa?

For some getting the non-o visa is that not that easy. Thai embassies and official consulates in a persons home country will not issue a non-o visa for retirement they will issue a non-oa visa. If there is no honorary consulate in a persons home country the only choice is to get a single entry tourist visa and do a conversion at immigration.

He does not need the Non-o to be issued for retirement, he can simply say that he wants to spend a few months in Thailand to decide if it's a good place to retire, then a Non Immigrant O visa would be the most appropriate visa.

• Like 1

Thank you to all for the contributions.

I thought a consulate in my country issued an O A visa, and if I converted in Thailand it would be an O, so I need to research that.

Having lived in several different countries over my lifetime, I couldn't get a police check for my entire life just from my own country, though of course unless they indicate that on the police check I suppose I could just hand that in and not say anything.

If applying for a non-o in Thailand, you also need a letter from your bank in Thailand confirming that the funds in your account came from outside the country. Also, another letter confirming you have the money in the bank, and a bank book updated on the day you apply. Both letters should also be dated for day you apply. So get letters first and then go to immigration. There may be some leeway about dates, but the above is what they told me.

If applying for a non-o in Thailand, you also need a letter from your bank in Thailand confirming that the funds in your account came from outside the country. Also, another letter confirming you have the money in the bank, and a bank book updated on the day you apply. Both letters should also be dated for day you apply. So get letters first and then go to immigration. There may be some leeway about dates, but the above is what they told me.

I understand what you are saying, but how could someone with a 9am appointment make a bank transaction on the day of application?

In Bangkok you go down one floor on escalator and obtain from a bank branch. That is the only location I know that requires same day. And if using Embassy letter of income there is a six month validity. And if 65k or more no bank letters/accounts are needed.

Thank you to all for the contributions.

I thought a consulate in my country issued an O A visa, and if I converted in Thailand it would be an O, so I need to research that.

Having lived in several different countries over my lifetime, I couldn't get a police check for my entire life just from my own country, though of course unless they indicate that on the police check I suppose I could just hand that in and not say anything.

If you convert here it will be a non immigrant visa entry issued in conjunction with qualifying for an extension of stay based upon retirement.

From the embassy it will be a non-oa long stay visa.

All you need is a criminal background check from you home country. They are not interested in all the other countries you may of worked or lived in.

If you are looking to obtain the visa in your home country you may be over thinking the criminal check issue a bit.

I just went to the local court house and asked for and received a pretty generic letter stating that their records indicated I had no record of any felonies or misdemeanors. In place of a notary, they had an official court stamp. I sent it, along with the list of the rest of the stuff, to the Thai Consulate in LA and within about 10 days, I had my visa.

Of course, depending on your home country, your results may vary.

Edited by SpokaneAl