Rent a scooter or a car to view properties in Pattaya ?

thairookie

I plan to make another visit to Pattaya to get to the various sites and get a hang of the surroundings.

I live in Bangkok and during last trip to Pattaya I was pretty surprised that taxi charges in Pattaya are 3 to 5 times those in Bangkok. So this time round I have decided to rent a PCX to run around Pattaya and Jomtien. However, my estate agent has advised me not to ride bikes in Pattaya as it's very dangerous.

What is the situation, really ? Or if I rent a car, how much would it cost ?

I doubt that many people in their right minds use taxis in Pattaya. It's much more common to use a Bahtbus as a taxi by negotiating a charter fare. You can hire them by the day also. There are also loads of private car owners who will drive you around for the day. Ask any motorbike taxi driver.

You can usually get a self-drive car with full insurance cover (zero excess) from Hertz for around 500B/day if you take the trouble to get the current promo codes from newspapers etc. Watch out for small local rental companies who usually dont do zero excess insurance. This can cost you a lot when you get to the discussion about how many scratches were on it when you picked it up.

I wouldnt get on a motorbike here if you paid me to but lots of people do and some even live to tell the tale.

I wouldnt get on a motorbike here if you paid me to but lots of people do and some even live to tell the tale.

LOL, there's millions left in Pattaya to "tell the tale".

The risk is very low if you're a safety conscious rider. The way people talk about bikes it's as though everyone has the same risk and the rider is irrelevant to the discussion.

There's no way I'd be running around Pattaya in a car looking at rentals.

I'd be asking the OP how confident and experienced he is on a scooter before recommending renting one though.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

The risk is very low if you're a safety conscious rider.

It doesnt matter much how safety-conscious you are if some boozed-up moron decides to drive into you at high speed. In the event of an accident I just prefer my chances in a pick-up than on a motorbike, thanks.

Those who like to take unnecessary risks are welcome to do so and it doesnt concern me at all. But I wont be getting on a motorbike or a jet-ski or a paragliding thingy or going mountain climbing etc etc. I value my own skin too much.

• Like 1

"I plan to make another visit to Pattaya to get to the various sites and get a hang of the surroundings."

The OP isnt very clear about what he actually wants to visit but the use of the word "sites" makes me wonder if he is looking at new build condo projects?

If so one fairly new feature of the Pattaya property market is the agents who do tours to the various project sites in a minibus. This gets you a free guided tour around various parts of town and maybe this would suit at least some of his requirements?

The Pattaya city tour bus may also be a good way of seeing quite a lot of the town for little cost, with the option of getting off from time to time. They have a stall outside the 2nd entrance to Central and a website that I dont know the URL of.

The risk is very low if you're a safety conscious rider.

It doesnt matter much how safety-conscious you are if some boozed-up moron decides to drive into you at high speed. In the event of an accident I just prefer my chances in a pick-up than on a motorbike, thanks.

Those who like to take unnecessary risks are welcome to do so and it doesnt concern me at all. But I wont be getting on a motorbike or a jet-ski or a paragliding thingy or going mountain climbing etc etc. I value my own skin too much.

Come on. You can use your eyes and watch out for drunken riders, because you know they're around. I've managed 15 years in SE Asia on bikes, I'm sure many have gone much longer. It maybe a high risk for you, but it isn't for me....but yes, it is a risk, I'm not denying that.

For many of us it's a necessary risk, in fact I would call a scooter an absolute necessity if you live in Central Pattaya. If you live out of the way and need to use highways, by all means get a car.

..and an absolute necessity if you want to scout around sois looking for rentals.

• Like 1

I too would hire a baht bus if I were you. May be more expensive than hiring a car but they should be more able than you to find your destinations.

A blind man has got more chance of finding a destination in Pattaya than a baht bus driver. It's the same old story - they won't know where you mean until you get there, and only after you tell them to take every specific turn. The same goes for motorbike taxi drivers. Normally you have to tell them to head for a specific landmark (i.e Big C Pattaya Klang, cnr Suk and Tai, Beach Road Jomtien, Walking Street etc.) and give directions from there to your final destination.

The OP is travelling in unfamiliar territory so can't do that. Also he'll be going to places (moo baan's etc) that the drivers will never have heard of. Best bet is to arm himself with a google map and hire a scooter. Familiarise yourself with where the moo baans are before you set off. Don't go looking for a specific house you've seen advertised in an agents window or on the web as you'll pass 500 other suitable houses getting there.

Just cruise around looking for moo baan's and go in for a gander. The guards always let you in for a look and often they'll direct you to the caretaker who will have all the keys to the vacant houses and will show you around and tell you the rent. Then you can call the owner and negotiate etc.

Done this 4 times now and works like a charm.

EDIT: Take a car if you want but it will take you 4 times as long to cover the same territory.

I've never understood this. What would stop them from having minimum standards of knowledge of the streets and soi’s before they are eligible to be taxi drivers or riders? I mean its not like the place is that complicated?

When you think of what the London cabbie has to go through to get their licence-sheesh !

And they have plenty of time on their hands to hone their skills when you see them sitting at taxi ranks staring into oblivion or sleeping rolleyes.gif

Edited by Asiantravel

I've done house searches many times in Pattaya. First, trying to find a place to buy, then looking for a condo while the house was being renovated. Also been around a lot looking for investment properties.

A car works great. You don't get wet and don't end up a sweaty mess at the end of the day. Easy to cover a lot of ground.

If you are comfortable riding scooters in Bangkok traffic, then you will do fine here. If not, get a car. Most friends I know who have been in accidents have been hit by others. No way avoiding that 13 year old racing across the street without looking. Driving here, IMHO, is crazy. I'm happier with lots of metal around me.

If you are only concentrating on central Pattaya, a scooter is great. Further out, a car is better.

Maybe you can tell us what areas interest you?

Maybe you can tell us what areas interest you?

I'm interested in condominium projects, but not the off plan ones. I have a few condo projects in mind, mainly around Pratumnak Hill. I'm not sure if a scooter can get me as far as Bang Saray, but would like to give it a try.

When you think of what the London cabbie has to go through to get their licence-sheesh !

With GPS navigators, surely London taxi drivers aren't going to need to learn the streets like they used to. If so, it won't last long.

IMO Pattaya's Sois and streets are more difficult to find than they are in most Western towns and cities because most streets are unnamed and numbered.

My soi has a duplicate in the same area. Even couriers can't find their way here.

I'm interested in condominium projects, but not the off plan ones. I have a few condo projects in mind, mainly around Pratumnak Hill. I'm not sure if a scooter can get me as far as Bang Saray, but would like to give it a try.

Pratumnak is a total pain to get around on without your own transport. However there is very little fast traffic there, especially once you get off the main road. So a motorbike would be relatively safe to use there.

Bang Saray involves driving about 20km on a fast but fairly straight dual carriageway. I wouldn't want to do it on a motorbike but lots of people do.

Bang Saray involves driving about 20km on a fast but fairly straight dual carriageway. I wouldn't want to do it on a motorbike but lots of people do.

I'm a slow rider. The last time I borrowed a scooter from my tenant, I realised I was only riding 50 km/h.

There are many condo projects along Jomtien 2nd Road, and I do hope to travel a bit further to Na Jomtien, if Bang Saray is too far.

Is there any other way to travel to Na Jomtien up till the very end of Bang Saray via public transport ?

I would recommend renting a scooter from a place in Jomtien. Several near Thepprasit road. Easy access to Pratumnak (and a great way to get around there). Easy for Jomtien. NaJomtien is best accessed by taking beach road all the way to where it dead ends. I dont know the name of the soi, but it connects with Huay Yai at Suk. NaJomtien ends near the Ambassador. Ban Amphur next, then Bang Saray several k down the road.

NaJomtien and Ban Amphur have several condo buildings. Quite a few of our members live in these.

I would stay away from bikes if you are not used to the crazy traffic in Pattaya.

Rent a car with insurance and you are safe. Start early in the morning and you can look at 10-20 properties in one day.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm a slow rider. The last time I borrowed a scooter from my tenant, I realised I was only riding 50 km/h.

There are many condo projects along Jomtien 2nd Road, and I do hope to travel a bit further to Na Jomtien, if Bang Saray is too far.

Is there any other way to travel to Na Jomtien up till the very end of Bang Saray via public transport ?

Just jump on one of the white baht buses on Sukhumvit road. Their route is Sattahip - Lam Chabang (maybe further) - Sattahip. So they all pass through Na Jomtien and Bang Saray.

Fare is 20 baht from Pattaya to Bang Saray.

When you get to Bang Saray you may have to use motocy taxi to get around. There is a baht bus route along the main street (brown, I think) but not frequent and not extensive. I'm not even sure it will take you as far as the Beach Road.

If I were you, I would take a slow/careful scooter ride along Sukhumvit Road to Bang Saray. Once you get off the main road and into the village the traffic is not at all bad and you will be able to explore at your own pace.

if u driving in bangkok u be fine in pattaya, i think its even easier here

i mean bikeire bath bus

200 bath per day get u scooter, they everywhere so no problem getting one

200 bath u cant go wrong, rent it try it, for that price even if u not comfortable u not loose fortune

hire bath bus for day be much more then 200

check UNIXX

AQUA

The View looks nice from Matrix company

google it

The real estate agent advises you not go look at properties on your own?

Imagine that.

Where did the OP say that.....the agent advised him against motorcycle use in Pattaya. 1zgarz5.gif.pagespeed.ce.GJfs_tQOQ-.gif

I guess I read something between the lines.

The Estate Agent advises not to ride a motorbike to view properties because:

A. The Estate Agent genuinely cares for the OPs well being & not concerned about a lost sales commission.

B. The Agent doesn't want to lose a sale commission.

C. The Agent fears the OP is killed and lose the sale commission.

Hi, newbie here, I don't mean to change the topic - but can anyone actually recommend a reliable scooter rental company in Pattaya that wont try all the usual scams? I want to rent by the month and would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

The estate agents here normally drive you around, or at least mine did.

Felt sorry for her when I found my house without her by personal referral.

The poor lass slipped in a mud patch when showing me a house and landed on her back side in it, was covered from head to toe in mud.

• Like 1