Insurmountable trash washed up on Bang Saen beach reaching 10 tons per day

webfact

Insurmountable trash washed up on Bang Saen beach reaching 10 tons per day

PNSOC561007001000701.jpg

BANGKOK, 7 October 2013 (NNT) – Not far from Bangkok, Bang Saen Beach in Chon Buri, a well-known tourist destination, is experiencing a bombardment of up to 10 tons of trash being washed up on its shores daily.

The 4.5 kilometer beach, also known as “Bang Saen the Utopia”, is currently dealing with its chronic problem of trash and sediment polluting the area. Mayor of Saen Suk, Narongchai Khunplome elaborated on the issue that each annual monsoon will bring in trash collected from various “rivers’ mouths” or deltas, as the beach is geographically located in a point that particularly receives a lot of the ocean's incoming waves.

Up to 10 tons of waste and garbage are washed up on the shores of Bang Saen beach each year - making it necessary for officials to start the clean up from as early as 5 am each morning in order to prepare the beach for tourists.

Trash-catching buoys have also been installed to help alleviate the problem, but with limited results. According to the Pollution Control Department (PCD), the trash buildup amounted to 16 million tons for the whole year of 2012, or approximately 43,000 tons per day.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-10-07 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not surprising when most of the Thai are looking the sea as a trash bin, most of them do not have respect for nature anyway.

The locals really don't seem to respect their own country one little bit.

Even when you go up country to the villages you see flytipping a pretty big scale.

I used to think it was only around Pattaya or Bangkok as a fair amount of the people are not from the area & intend to move on so have no real feeling of responsibility or care for the area but I have learnt that this is the case over the whole country.

India is much the same.

It wasn't a problem when everything was wrapped in banana leaves etc as they were bio degradeable but plastic bags & polysterene are long lasting problems.

Fresh fish are fast being a health risk because of all the toxins they ingest in the seas

• Like 2

Not surprising when most of the Thai are looking the sea as a trash bin, most of them do not have respect for nature anyway.

The locals really don't seem to respect their own country one little bit.

Even when you go up country to the villages you see flytipping a pretty big scale.

I used to think it was only around Pattaya or Bangkok as a fair amount of the people are not from the area & intend to move on so have no real feeling of responsibility or care for the area but I have learnt that this is the case over the whole country.

India is much the same.

It wasn't a problem when everything was wrapped in banana leaves etc as they were bio degradeable but plastic bags & polysterene are long lasting problems.

Fresh fish are fast being a health risk because of all the toxins they ingest in the seas

Glad I don't like seafood.

How the hell does that volume of trash find its way into the river system in the first place?

The old saying "don't <deleted> in your own nest" obviously doesn't translate too well.

Who wants to pay to throw away garbage when you can just dump it on, nearby empty land, a river, ocean or over the wall onto the neighbors.

• Like 1

Dont know whats going on there but in the village where I live right on the Maekong the people take great care of the river which I admire they all have their small sewage tanks and do not put shit in the river unlike here in Ireland where farmers and everyone else was the their big sprayers and also silage pits leak into the rivers killing the fish. There must be a recycling depot or depots near the river somewhere that are allowing it to overflow into the river. Thai P.C.D GET YOUR CHOPPERS OUT do some flying and try see where th source is and fix it before the damage is irreversible.

• Like 1

It's not only this beach, most of the beaches on the East Coast have this problem.

The big beaches in Rayong (Had Maer Lampung, Suan Son, Laem Mae Pim), could be world class if they were cleaned more often but as it is now they tend to look like a garbage dump. After a long weekend once the BKK tourists go back home the beaches are shockingly bad.

The oil spill didn't help maters much but the garbage issue is the one that is really irritating as it could easily be remedied by cleanup crews.

Dont know whats going on there but in the village where I live right on the Maekong the people take great care of the river which I admire they all have their small sewage tanks and do not put shit in the river unlike here in Ireland where farmers and everyone else was the their big sprayers and also silage pits leak into the rivers killing the fish. There must be a recycling depot or depots near the river somewhere that are allowing it to overflow into the river. Thai P.C.D GET YOUR CHOPPERS OUT do some flying and try see where th source is and fix it before the damage is irreversible.

there may well be places that do care but the majority of thais dont. Just watch the other road users when driving, you see rubbish being tossed out the window all the time. My wife manages at the local port, the thais pull up throw their bags of rubbish in one side of the pier then go and fish the other side bah.gif , the lake just opposite our house looks like that beach, everyone just throws their rubbish into it although it was cleaned up when the pm visited a few months back. Thais do not like nature unless they can make money from it hence all the dead tigers, elephants, crocs, protected trees cut dowm etc, they destroy national parks to build illegal resorts and simply trash everything. Until such time as they are made to stop stinking up the streets(dont tell me you havent smelled the crap in the gutters/waterways) it will remain like this, they need to be pulled into line which will never happen because it is in the too hard basket and they just dont care.

Don't get alarmed T.A.T will release a statement shortly that this will have no effect on tourism in fact tourists will be flocking to see this natural phenomenon.

Indeed, perhaps even suggesting that Thai trash will make a nice gift for departing tourists.