Still Interested

Hi all!

Around Christmas 2004 I inquired as to whether I could live in Thailand on US$1000/month in retirement and was informed by knowledgeable ex-pats that, while that sum could get me by, I would need probably $1400-$1600 to cover health insurance and visas.

I have a co-worker here in Seattle WA who is married to a Thai, and another co-worker who visits Thailand twice a year who tell me that $1000/month is more than enough! Seattle is one of the highest-cost cities in the U.S. (mostly due to the hugely inflated, overpriced real estate market), and I could get by on $1600 here if I had to. My rent alone is $900 (the low end of the spectrum, guys) and it costs me over $200/month just to get back and forth to work! Food and utilities takes up most of the rest. I get by here in Seattle for about $1900/month. Seattle is also the feminist/bitch capital of the world; just making eye contact with Their Royal Highnesses can get you a harassment complaint. The political correctness here will make you puke. No clubbing or partying in this town, therefore no entertainment expenses. Japanese execs, who do a lot of business here, go to Vancouver BC or Portland OR for fun. Those I know who have been to Thailand tell me that it is very cheap relative to the States. Also safe for Americans. Lots of reasons to keep my interest.

In retirement, being unencumbered by work, I would have no automobile. This means no maintenance, gas costs, or insurance. I've heard decent apartments can be had for $125/month. One can eat for $2 a day. Health insurance can be had for $20/month, and I almost never get sick. I'm a 56-yr-old guy who runs 3 miles a day. Bottled water at the pharmacy costs next to nothing. Utilities, phone service, Internet? I can't imagine retiring in the Land of Smiles could possibly cost an arm and a leg. I don't need many amenities, guys. No golf, no SUV, no cell phone addiction, no dog, and no "attitude." This is what I want to leave behind! I'm still about 14 months away from chucking my job for good, even though I can leave any time. Not running away.... I'm running toward. Will $1200 do it? Please advise

Fireflickker

I believe you can do it on $1200 if you stay away from the nightlife (which can easily eat up your $1200) and include local food in your diet to cut back on cost. But decent apartments for $125/month and eating for $2 a day may be too optimistic -- you will probably need at least twice the amounts specified for food and housing at a minimum, even for a frugal person. You will likely spend more at first until you are settled. Many expats are living on less and with your lifestyle, it's possible.

It's possible for the expat with $1200 per month and having a very comfortable lifestyle w/ the internet, but this will not include girls but only occasional beer to cool you down.

As for "eating for $2 a day" I agree this may be too optimistic - make it $2 a meal instead.

As for "$125 for rent" - it's possible in upcountry/rural area, but then you will need at least a scooter to get you around.

Where are you planning to live in Thailand? There is a significant difference in living costs between Bangkok and the provinces. If you live outside Bkk and Chiang Mai, you need to budget for transportation, as BKK90210 rightly points out.

$1,200 a month will definitely cover basic living expenses in Thailand in my view. The things that really eat up the money are: a Thai girlfriend/wife/family, travel around SE Asia, and trips back to the USA. It's also surprising sometimes how much money you can spend on all the visa-related expenses -- trips to Bangkok to immigration, document certifications, passport renewals, visa runs, all that stuff. It never seems to end.

Health insurance for a retired farang at USD 20/month??

Please let us have that company name and address :o

Several posters in the past have made similar claims of paying c.฿800 per month for health insurance, but when asked to supply details of the company and the cover provided, they fail to respond.

I wonder why…? :D

I don't believe anyone is saying you can not live on 40k per month but do you want to is the question; along with for how long.

You may find a suitable apartment for 5,000 baht but a more reasonable figure would be twice that. Along with your other items. As we get older we seem to appreciate better things so take that into account also.

But above all allow for inflation - and it is likely to be high. As much as they try to hide it prices have increased in what appears to be double digit rates lately. Is your money going to keep up? You probably have another 30 years or more so $1,000 today is probably not going to pay your food bill on the long side of that time. More important than the money you have now is your future situation.

You have no support net here and that 800 baht medical care sounds like a mirage. And like it or not you will start to breakdown as the years go by.

Third factor is life alone may not suit you, if you are like 99% of the population. So if you find love are you going to be able to provide support in the manner you would like?

But if you have the inflation covered and are ready to call it a day perhaps you can take the plunge and be better for it. Just be careful when doing your sums.

:D

This question of, "Can I live well in Thailand for less than XXXX dollars a month is meaningless unless you define what you think is "living well". I know for a fact that I can live in BKK for 1000 to 1200 a month, but I know what and how I am willing to live. Getting outside of BKK makes living cheaper, but for some the sacrifices would be too much.

It's perfectly possible to find an apartment in BKK for 500 to 600 dollars a month. Coule you live in such an apartment. I have done it, and I enjoyed life.

The only thing I can say is come to Thailand, see what lifestyle you can afford and what you want, then make your decision.

If you want to live well for less, you really should be living outside of Bangkok.

:o

fireflickker

you could live ok on $1200/month but rent would be 6000bt/month + services, up country.

Aircon alone could run to another 6KB if like me, you can't live without cold air.

I would do a bit more research on medicare insurance.

I had never needed it until I had a freak accident on slippery concrete back in 2003 in BKK.

No insurance........ not funny.

Don't forget to keep at least 35,000bt aside for that emergency trip back to the USA.

Do NOT enter Thailand without good insurance cover.

Appreciate the input. You guys live there, so you are qualified advisors. But there's really no way to know how it will play out for me until I take an extended look. I visited Thailand many years ago and imagine things have changed. It is my first choice as a retirement destination, but not my only choice.

As I said in an earlier post, I have an English degree and can teach; also speak Spanish and German

so can live almost anywhere. The Caribbean is my 2nd option, and no visas or turn-arounds are required there. I still have a year or so to compare living costs, safety issues, and, I must admit, availability of women.... I don't think I could live on $1400/month for an extended period without having to supplement with employment -- which I would prefer to be an option rather than a necessity

Thanks

-Fireflickker

The medical information I obtained is from BUPA/Blue Cross (Silom Road) BKK

bupathailand.com

Thai Health, RS Tower, Ratchadapisek Rd BKK

Replying to my own post for those viewing who may see it: I work with a number of SE Asians here in Seattle who still dispute the validity of the above replies, even though the advice given is by ex-pats who ostensibly have lived in Thailand for years. I am still told that life in Thailand can be very good for $1000/month -- including ex-pat health insurance, visas, and turn-arounds -- provided one is flexible and willing to do most things Thai-style. That is the point I was trying to make, but apparently failed to articulate. I don't need many amenities; not even a car. America is filling up now with immigrants looking for a better life; I seek to leave America looking for a better life. We all have to follow our dream, and I think I could adjust to Thai-style living better than most Westerners, including most of those who contributed to this posting. That remains to be seen! To those of you reading this post:

good luck, and don't listen to the cynics.

-Fireflickker

I think you could do 1,000 a month in Pattaya with a very modest apartment and very little nightlife. But you would want to be assured that your income can get some raises over the years, because, if it didn't your very modest life would get even less modest every year, until you reached real poverty.

Also, don't discount the psychological challenge of living in party city when most of the visible people are spending money like there is no tomorrow and most Thais treating you like you are one of them.

You have to be real independent minded and strong willed, and you sound like you might have it in you. Best of luck.

Replying to my own post for those viewing who may see it: I work with a number of SE Asians here in Seattle who still dispute the validity of the above replies, even though the advice given is by ex-pats who ostensibly have lived in Thailand for years. I am still told that life in Thailand can be very good for $1000/month -- including ex-pat health insurance, visas, and turn-arounds -- provided one is flexible and willing to do most things Thai-style. That is the point I was trying to make, but apparently failed to articulate. I don't need many amenities; not even a car. America is filling up now with immigrants looking for a better life; I seek to leave America looking for a better life. We all have to follow our dream, and I think I could adjust to Thai-style living better than most Westerners, including most of those who contributed to this posting. That remains to be seen! To those of you reading this post:

good luck, and don't listen to the cynics.

-Fireflickker

I agree totally. I think when push comes to shove you could live on $500.

I am currently living on about $1000, very comfortably, with the odd night out, on Samui which is held to be more expensive than Bkk or Pattaya. In a new rented 2 bedroom house. I can afford more, but I have no need.

I don't go for Western food much. Never have when in Asia. The quality is crap unless you pay high prices, and even then it's not much to talk about.

Inflation looks to be going north quickly, important factor. However, I do think the Baht will drop significantly. Doing things Thai-style is fine. Question you have to ask is for how long will you be happy doing things Thai-style. Then costs could rise dramatically.