Is Panthongtae Shinawatra preparing to enter the fray?

webfact

One wonders whether his old mate Jakrob Penkar might return to the fold they were indeed ''bosom buddies.'' Jakrob Pekar was Thaksins governments mouthpiece for a time too. Who knows Jakrob Penkar may well become Panthongtae mouthpiece if the post is open for daddy's boywhistling.gif

However daddy didn't like the ''friendship'' that his son and Penkar formed I wonder why?whistling.gif

Penkar skipped the country some years back due if my memory is correct to a Lese Majeste matter

JP2-1.jpg
Yes, Oak's confidant and Red Shirt Leader Jakrapob is a wanted fugitive for LM as well as other charges.
He fled the country following the Red Shirt riots during Songkran 2009.
  • Like 1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nah, I'll hate the player..

That said, while intelligence has never been a prerequisite for entering Thai politics, having someone with an IQ of 7 might challenge that notion.

You are to kind to him.whistling.gif

I think Yaowapha Wongsawat should be the heir apparent she is more qualified than Yingluck and could really throw her weight around.clap2.gif

• Like 1

I would keep eyes on sister Yaowapha! She is a ruthless business person and a cunning politician. She has vast influence

and is respected in strategic circles. Yingluck is a viable player as well. I think the son is a just a distraction. This family stretches wide and far.

The question I am asking is how the 2015 Asean opening will effect Thai politics and the general way of doing business in Thailand. When will

the young generation speak up and ask the tough questions and participate in critical thinking thus changing the landscape of politics..

She's not really very photogenic.

I would keep eyes on sister Yaowapha! She is a ruthless business person and a cunning politician. She has vast influence

and is respected in strategic circles. Yingluck is a viable player as well. I think the son is a just a distraction. This family stretches wide and far.

The question I am asking is how the 2015 Asean opening will effect Thai politics and the general way of doing business in Thailand. When will

the young generation speak up and ask the tough questions and participate in critical thinking thus changing the landscape of politics..

The only problem with Yaowapha is that she is too strong and, if she ever got the power, Dr. Thaksin would be afraid she would not let him control her. The son is entirely too 'lightweight' to gain the respect/fear? needed to command authority. Worse, if he is given authority, he may try to think for himself; something his aunt wouldn't even contemplate. I really don't see Ms. Yingluck being replaced; she puts a nice face on the Party, is malleable, and does not have/seek her own power base. What more could one ask of a 'puppet'?

• Like 1

He has a good business track record to do it....what with that bun shop and the bts advertising agency all doing so well.

Yes, amazing that isn't it? And all done without an iota of business sense and talent. I wonder why that is?

Maybe competent managers and contracts handed to him on a silver platter. His aunt's position, with the Shinawatra telecom that was sold to Singapore's Temesek, was made redundant after the sale. Being a 'figurehead' in a family owned/controlled business is not much of a recommendation for politics. Oops, I forgot, this is Thailand, so maybe he is imminently qualified to be a politician.

• Like 1

Since I've read reports where he says he's not interested, I would suppose he will enter politics and learn on the job as his aunt Ms. Yingluck has tried to do.

Do you really think she's try to learn anything? Apart from which countries are best for which types of shopping.

You're right. I was lying, but only out of politeness; besides, it is her cover story to explain her lack of previous experience.

The son has been quoted as saying if he has a choice he won't get involved with politics.

Is this is the usual Shin pretend reluctance followed by " Oh well if it's for the good of the country. "

The quicker the people see through this family the better but they're doing a good job of getting away with it so far.

I'm of the opinion that Yingluck would exit her job at the first opportunity, we all know she didn't want it in the first place. However I think she will be forced to fight the next election and to serve one more term if she wins, she'll likely step down after that term and this guy will be the new show in town after spending one term in Parliament.

It wouldn't shock me if that was the master plan, but it is full of assumptions, one being that TS is still alive at the next election plus one, age and ill health wait for no one. I wonder to what extent his party would implode at his demise.

When is the next election due?

When you say, "we all know she didn't want it in the first place", who is this we? How do you know this? Do you have privileged inside information? Are you now taking it upon yourself to speak on behalf of all the members of this forum? (Wouldn't surprise me to be fair). Must have really peed you off that that you didn't get any 'likes' for your effort!smile.png This sort of nepotism goes on all the time, all over the world. In the UK at the moment we have young Blair Junior being lined up for a safe seat in 'working class Coventry' in the Midlands, fresh from his apprenticeship at J P Morgan, (courtesy of daddy's connections). In the USA, out of a population of more than 300 million people, since 1989 we have had Bush - Clinton - Bush - Obama - possibly Clinton or even another Bush! Doesn't seem like a very healthy democracy to me. To be honest, calling it a democracy is a bit of a stretch! Westerners on this forum would do well to ponder on this before leaping to cast aspersions on the Thai political system in their pursuit of scoring a few 'likes' Just saying!coffee1.gif

we all know she didn't want it in the first place.

When you say, "we all know she didn't want it in the first place", who is this we? How do you know this? Do you have privileged inside information?

He has been granted access to that super secret, highly sensitive, extremely exclusive inside information known as.....

Yingluck's wikipedia page. rolleyes.gif

As late as 28 January 2011, Yingluck was asked to become the leader of the party but she declined, stating that she did not want to be Prime Minister and wanted to focus on business.

Outside of that, her repeatedly declining the premiership was widely reported at the the time and widely known by most people with even a passing interest in Thai politics. ;)

• Like 1

One wonders whether his old mate Jakrob Penkar might return to the fold they were indeed ''bosom buddies.'' Jakrob Pekar was Thaksins governments mouthpiece for a time too. Who knows Jakrob Penkar may well become Panthongtae mouthpiece if the post is open for daddy's boywhistling.gif

However daddy didn't like the ''friendship'' that his son and Penkar formed I wonder why?whistling.gif

Penkar skipped the country some years back due if my memory is correct to a Lese Majeste matter

JP2-1.jpg
Yes, Oak's confidant and Red Shirt Leader Jakrapob is a wanted fugitive for LM as well as other charges.

Yes 'confidant'. Nudge nudge, wink wink.

• Like 2

One wonders whether his old mate Jakrob Penkar might return to the fold they were indeed ''bosom buddies.'' Jakrob Pekar was Thaksins governments mouthpiece for a time too. Who knows Jakrob Penkar may well become Panthongtae mouthpiece if the post is open for daddy's boy:whistling:

JP2-1.jpg

cheesy.gif

The only problem with Yaowapha is that she is too strong and, if she ever got the power, Dr. Thaksin would be afraid she would not let him control her. The son is entirely too 'lightweight' to gain the respect/fear? needed to command authority. Worse, if he is given authority, he may try to think for himself; something his aunt wouldn't even contemplate. I really don't see Ms. Yingluck being replaced; she puts a nice face on the Party, is malleable, and does not have/seek her own power base. What more could one ask of a 'puppet'?

Thaksin had a preview of what Yaowapha was like when she was the power behind the throne during her weakling husband Somchai's premiership. She is very factional within Pheua Thai and caused the infighting with Newin's faction that led to the rift when Newin took his faction to form Bhum Jai Thai and join the Abhisit government. The party gurus will also have a hard job doing a remake on her to present a telegenic image to the media that is comparable to Yingluck who doesn't even have to pretend to be naive and ignorant. They will try their best though, if they have to which would happen in the event that Yingluck was suddenly disqualified, became ill or just refused to go on. However, the party does a good job at keeping her jet setting around and out of politics.

As far as Panthongthae is concerned, it is hard to say at this point. He seemed incredibly lightweight as a young man and apparently had to resort to cheating in exams at Ram after being bounced out of Thammasat. His partying and overindulgences in various things were legendary but I they have been trying hard to clean up his media image. Maybe the red shirt voters would accept him in the same way as Yingluck, if they accpept him as Thaksin's nominee. How he would function, if Thaksin kicked the bucket or became old and infirm would be a true test of his political abilities.

• Like 1

JP2-1.jpg

I seem to recall that Jakrapob spent a few days in prison after being arrested in connection with a rombustious red shirt gathering around Gen Prem's house. He was hopping made when he got out and took the opportunity to vent his spleen publicly at a Foreign Correspondents Club evening. Whether you support LM laws or not, as the law stands, I think it would be difficult for a Thai court to acquit him based his remarks recorded there.

A friend went to a business meeting in Phnom Penh and was surprised to find the said fugitive sitting across the table as an advisor to the other party.

I seem to recall that Jakrapob spent a few days in prison after being arrested in connection with a rombustious red shirt gathering around Gen Prem's house. He was hopping made when he got out and took the opportunity to vent his spleen publicly at a Foreign Correspondents Club evening. Whether you support LM laws or not, as the law stands, I think it would be difficult for a Thai court to acquit him based his remarks recorded there.

A friend went to a business meeting in Phnom Penh and was surprised to find the said fugitive sitting across the table as an advisor to the other party.

I had heard to he is holed up in PP doing business there. Seems rather appropriate. Learning the template there of what the reds want to turn Thailand into - an effective 1 party 'democracy'.

• Like 1

I had heard to he is holed up in PP doing business there. Seems rather appropriate. Learning the template there of what the reds want to turn Thailand into - an effective 1 party 'democracy'.

Thailand does seem to be inexorably heading that way and Thailand and Cambodian's rulers could certainly be described as being 'close' to each other.

The difference is whilst Thailand has more of temples than you can shake a stick at Cambodia has the one that really matters..... and I don't mean Prear Vihear!

Edited by bigbamboo

"This is why some believe that, sooner or later, Panthongtae will step in as Thaksin's political heir."

well, as long we have democratic ELECTIONS everything will be ok. It's not a DICTATORSHIP here. So let him be elected if he gives proof to be a good politician

This is meant to be a bloody democracy, not a position to be filled by hereditary title..... Who do the Shiniwatras think they are? 

only we farrangs care. Not anyone else

Sent from my RM-892_apac_laos_thailand_219 using Tapatalk