Why not buy a truck?

Been looking for a car (our first in Thailand having arrived 6 weeks ago) and am torn between a ISUZU D-Max Hi-Lander and a Ford Fiesta.

It's for me, my wife and our 18mon old son. We have a fairly low budget but can get a 2011 Fiesta (90,000km) for the same price as a 2005 Hi-Lander (140,000km).

My maths seems to say that the ISUZU is cheaper to fuel, less likely to break over Phuket's potholes, bumps etc, safer for my son in the back, great for carrying our mountain bikes (and anything else - it has a canopy), better in deep puddles.

Having said that, the Fiesta's much newer, more refined inside and easier to drive simply because it's smaller.

Trucks must be popular here for a reason. Can the majority of people be wrong?

Thoughts / opinions / advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

Mike

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Trucks are popular because something like 60% of Thais still work in agriculture. Are you a farmer too? Pickups Aldo benefit from favorable excise taxes so are much cheaper than cars (except an econobox model). They are also cheap and easy to service and as you have already deduced, hood for Thailand's crappy roads and inclement weather.

Of course, driving around in an older model one, the police will put the bite on you every time.

Made much the same decision last year. Didn't take me too long either.

A car of that age will be well passed it's best. A truck that's had light use should be fine. Not sure about fuel costs - yes diesel is cheaper but heavy trucks use a fair bit, you might also pay a bit more for parts and repairs compared to a small car, but not by enough to off set the frequency you will be makign them with a small car!

Welcome to LOS!clap2.gif

First thing to keep in mind: 'You aren't in Kansas any more, Toto!'

There is very little consumer protection - meaning you have to do your own homework on everything you set out to do in order to get your money's worth (not get cheated!) and buying real estate and automobiles are the biggest areas.

On the face of it and all things being equal, you should go for the truck. It has practically the same mileage but it also should be more durable and last way longer .... also, looking at it from another angle, the smaller (less mechanically durable) component Fiesta is only 2 years or so old and has close to as many miles as the '05 D-Max. The little Fiesta has been driven 'harder'!

But -

These are second hand vehicles so it's critical that you know their current mechanical state and if possible, verify their history and also be able to establish the verity of their owners.

I know what it's like to be limited by budget constraints but that also opens you up to buying lower quality products that won't last long and thus put you back in the position of having to spend more money to replace your initial choice.

Next, there are millions of spare parts and everyone everywhere in LOS (Land Of Smiles) can service the D-Max and its engine is a durable work house - hope you can get a 3.0L. thumbsup.gif Gas mileage and power is improved on the later generation but I don't know if that began in 2005 or later ....

Regardless, unless there's some drastic imbalance between the two vehicles, the D-Max is the way to go!

Good luck with your first major buying decision! wai2.gif

Edited by thailoht
  • Like 1

So far I have not owned a car in Thailand, only a truck that I purchased about a year ago (though I have owned many cars back home). The truck I bought is a well-appointed 4-door model, so I did not have to give up too much in the way of amenities vs a car. I also live in a fairly rural area, so that may also be a factor. I am very happy with having a truck instead of a car. There's only been a few times that I have said to myself, "this roead would be so much more fun to drive in a car". But there have been probably a thousand times that I have said, "good thing we bought a truck". For examples - every day when I run through an unexpected huge hole in the road at 100km/h (happens all the time), when I find myself driving over unpaved and uneven surfaces (much more often than I expected for daily driving), when I find that the road I was driving on has now turned into a muddy field for the next 200m, when I need to carry something large back from the store, and many more I can't think of.

I think I would have a different opinion if my truck was not a 4-door, or if the level of options was severely different between the car and truck. If I had to purchase again, I would make the same purchase again.

You get a lot more for your money buying a truck in Thailand. The Thai system is setup that when buying a new car or truck the car has a higher markup or tax. This is from my understand because trucks are used by farmers. Trucks also normally sit higher so less chance of getting it flooded in all this rain we are having. Which is something you need to inspect on the car, is it a flood car ? Check for water lines on the seat material.

I bought a truck here in Cambodia 4 years ago as there is less tax on them than "regular" cars. I also preferred to buy a new truck than a 5th-hand Lexus that has been in an accident for the same money.

I do regret the decision. Great off-road car (I go bird watching in my free time) but short on space (it is a double-cab but you cannot put two adults in the back for any length of time). Plenty of space in the back but without a cover useless. I did have a hard-top cover but it did not survive the rigors of Cambodia's roads for very long.

Having said that: it guzzles about a third of what the Lexuses do.

Of course, driving around in an older model one, the police will put the bite on you every time.

it might be your experience.

i drive a 24 yrs old pickup that looks the part, no bite from police whatsoever. even driving around my etan wont get any from them.

so, shall we cut the fairy tales?

for the OP:

while pickup seems a safer bet judging on the size, it is not necesserily true. many 2005 models wont even have ABS, or airbags...Thailand pickups doesnt seem to need the same standards to pass as those for exports, neither the safety features included, nor a crash test to pass.

But yes, plenty practical ways to use, can haul any large weekend shopping, or your bike, etc. and since diesel is way cheaper here in Thailand than benzine ( fiesta assume is benzine) your fuel economy should be equal or better with the pickup.

On the other hand, driving in congested Phuket roads and parking the Fiesta will win over probably.

• Like 1

Like the few who responded know what they are talking about! Buy a truck and not everyone buys a truck because they live and work on a farm! Think about it this way,, SUV, how many people buy them and actually take them off road. I remember making fun of a friend who purchased a SUV and he parked it in a dirt lot while working. One day I saw him leave the lot and he was going less than 5 miles an hour slowly climbing over a ant like it was going to damage his suspension?

Get yourself a 4 door truck if possible 4WD, I could slap myself today buying a Yaris, in Thailand the reason so many have them is that are as noted the best bang for the buck! diesel is cheap and get much better miles than Gasohol etc.. change the oil regularly and a diesel engine will run you in the 200.000 plus. The only problem is buying a use one! Sometimes the price and year have no relationship the place of sale is most likely selling it for the bank and have to ask and get as much back for the bank as possible. Hard for me to explain this part but I will try? I see many use trucks and they might be around 2 years old but the asking price close to what it is new? I found out it is because of the previous owner how much he put down and how long he has been making the payments? A vehicle purchased for very little down and the owner has missed the majority of payment prior to it being repossessed the bank most likely will ask higher amount to recoup their lost? This is Thailand? For a Farang like myself, if a new truck for example is 900,000 why would I want a 2 year old truck for 780,000?

So. my recommendation if your are looking at new! Toyota a great truck unless you can live with cloth interior and stick shift a leather auto will run in the range of 900.000 plus, a D-Max about the same! Even if you obtain a 2.5 engine? Both of these trucks are proven but I feel overpriced!

Not sure if you like a Ford, but the Ranger a great truck not sold in the U.S. considered recently one of the best built trucks in the world! Come in a 2.5 or 3.2, not sure what a 2.5 Diesel run for or even a used?

My choice if I was to buy today new for the best bang for your buck! Nisson Navara, 4 door full leather interior Automatic with lots of trimming for 835,000! Do whatever you want but I suggest get a truck the Thais can not drive or haven't been taught right but they know what is best and that is a truck I should have listen to them?

Just my 2 cents

Edited by thailand49

We had a Nissan about 5 years ago and have since moved on to other vehicles, but the pickup was my favorite. It was strong, cheap, relatively fuel-efficient, but most of all, it was great for the kinds of things you encounter on Thai roads, especially if you have to go outside of cities or towns. I have seen roads ripped up and the "detour" was just going off-road--up and down through mud and stuff. Granted, cars (like the fiesta) were doing it, too, but I felt much better in the truck. Also, had less trouble with tires and suspension in the truck.

I am now in the small car category, and I like it less, although it is easier moving around town. I am less happy when I have to get outside on questionable roads. So, depends on where you plan on going.

Fiesta mileage works out at 45k a year. That's HIGH mileage on newer car.

Isuzu mileage works out at 17.5k a year. That's LOW mileage but on an older truck.

Both are from the potential minefield of Thai used car sales where low depreciation covers a possible multitude of sins from being thrashed, to surviving a wreck (and a chop shop), to flood damage, to just being poorly serviced. I am pretty sure that used cars in Phuket, like ones traded in other community's where there's a higher percentage of farangs (and stupid farang money) need extra scrutiny.

For the same price, you can get a NEW Tata pickup. Since you are not a farmer, want economy, need something a bit bigger, on a budget and hopefully impervious to the derision that some posters will pass on this choice, get a Tata.

• Like 1

If living in the countryside, I understand that a truck is just plain practical. But in the city, no. Parking, moving around.

And what fuel consumption is concerned - most trucks are like 2.5l to 3.0l, no? I don't see how they can be more fuel efficient than a smaller car, which has a smaller engine and being far lighter. Diesel may be cheaper, but you will also be a bigger contributor to global warming if something like that is a concern to you.

Made much the same decision last year. Didn't take me too long either.

A car of that age will be well passed it's best. A truck that's had light use should be fine. Not sure about fuel costs - yes diesel is cheaper but heavy trucks use a fair bit, you might also pay a bit more for parts and repairs compared to a small car, but not by enough to off set the frequency you will be makign them with a small car!

When I decided I wanted four wheels for myself, I was thinking a car or a truck. I bought an old Toyota Corona LPG 1.6 automatic. fuel wise it costs about the same to run as our Toyota Prerunner four door which Mrs Possum now drives.

Be careful if you buy second hand. Prices of second hand vehicles have dropped by 20% this year, but dealers may try to sell at higher prices. Compare the 2nd hand vehicle against a new one and remember your insurance for the new one will be included in the purchase price. If you consider all the pros and cons buying a new one makes more sense, if you have the budget.

If you go with the D-Max be sure it is the model with ABS and Airbag, the SLX comes without or new for a bit extra with, so 2 nd hand you need to check..

They are used as a work horse, so 147,000 KM sound low, maybe used private only.......... Myself had 3, bought new, sold @ 400,000 KM about 3 1/2 years old.. very cheap for parts, change oil and filter every month..... now have a Mazda BT50 Hi-Racer+ much nicer to drive.. also trouble free, now 18 months old and 200,000 KM will past this week, on the trip South tomorrow.

I'd steer clear from the Ford's, they have a horrible throttle on the recent models with a big delay on it which can cause problems, especially when trying to move slowly or edge out at a junction for example.

All Ford models or just the Ranger ?

A throttle box fixes the delay on the Ranger and is plug and play.

I'd steer clear from the Ford's, they have a horrible throttle on the recent models with a big delay on it which can cause problems, especially when trying to move slowly or edge out at a junction for example.

I found the same thing with all the models, horrible to drive as far as I'm concerned. I was surprised.

It depends entirely on what kind of motoring you're going to do. Trips to the local store for a few carrier bars of groceries don't warrant a truck. Longer journeys with heavy loads are best done in a truck. Its as simple as that.

If you are financially able then don't get second hand but instead get new. In Thailand there is no protection for the second hand purchaser as there is in the UK and other countries so its buyer beware.

• Like 1

I bought a new Vigo 4 door 4wd 3 years ago.

Put 1/3 down and pay the rest monthly.

Very low interest rate.

Perfect car for Thailand. Servicing is cheap. Dealers everywhere. More economic than a Toyota Vios in terms of fuel costs. My friend and I have taken her Vios from Samui to Ranong and ack and my Vigo on the same trip. Vigo cost slightly less.

Strong. Check out Jeremy Clarckson on top gear trying to destroy one. After numerous other crazy tests he put it on top of a 30 story building that was then demolished by controlled explosion. They dug it out the rubble and it still ran. OK chassis had broken a bit but the cab had become the monocoque.

Very safe.

I am not normally a new car buyer but here in Thailand it makes huge sense.

Completed 60k in it. At 60k it needed new brake pads and the discs milled marginally to correct small run out on discs. Total cost for service including all fluids and filters etc was 6k

Comfortable, I like the auto, and just so practical as so many have said.

Turbo lag on Vigo minimal. However, wonder if we can get similar box for Vigo. Increase power, hardly required and also economy.

Truck Vs Fiesta

Truck will squash Fiesta flat in a second (and baby as well).

Consider your kid's safety, buy the truck (and trucks last forever).

Right on my man!

There is the aspect of driving here on the roads where the native drivers have had no drivers training and are unfamiliar with western style road etiquette. Global warming aside - and I'm all for it - but here in LOS, it behooves you to surround you and your family with as much metal as possible to better survive your road trips .... plus, hospital bills deriving from any potential injury could further jeopardize your budget!

Avoid it all and go truck! Even if it may not have ABS, you can always upgrade your brake components, if you so choose to do so.

Not sure if you like a Ford, but the Ranger a great truck not sold in the U.S. considered recently one of the best built trucks in the world!

You are only half right. Not sure if Ford still sells the Ranger in the USA, but it was on the menu for years.

Maybe it's a typo, but the Ford Ranger is a small pickup that's been selling in the USA for what seems like forever.