I want to live in Chiang Mai, but I'm a terrible driver.

LionMG

I'm moving to Thailand at the end of this month and I chose Bangkok. It was a difficult choice, because I loved Chiang Mai (visited for 10 days). It has everything I need. The deciding factor was the fact that I have no confidence in my driving ability. I'm a young guy and have never driven in my own city here in Canada other than a few driving lessons. I have an anxiety about it. So I chose Bangkok, because I wouldn't need to use a motorbike.

I did rent a motorbike in Pai and managed not to kill myself, but obviously driving around Pai is a much different beast than in Chiang Mai.

I think I'd love Chiang Mai. Have I made a mistake in letting this affect my choice on where to live?

I should also point out I only have my beginner's license from Canada. Though it looks like a real license and doesn't say "Learners" or "Beginners" on it... I doubt anyone could tell the difference. (I don't have time to do my road test before I move, and I don't own a car anyway).

Here is me driving my motorbike in Pai - how badly do I compare to other drivers? Haha. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlP0N6PRrVU&list=PL2PtdvMv6BLCz7sIiW1-vJ10kku0nS-rQ

Edited by LionMG
  • Like 1

Can you elaborate?

I'm thinking that I could look for a fellow farang to give me lessons or something. Someone I can follow behind around the city.

It's not too late to change my mind, I didn't rent an apartment in BKK yet. :P

I should also point out I only have my beginner's license from Canada. Though it looks like a real license and doesn't say "Learners" or "Beginners" on it... I doubt anyone could tell the difference.

Edited by LionMG
  • Like 1

Stop worrying and start trying. As long as you don't immediately start racing at 100km/hr around the ring roads you will be fine. IMO the the worst that will happen if you start off in or around the old city is falling off/getting knocked off at low speed and grazing a knee.

• Like 2

The cops arrested you at the end of the vid posted because you had no thai license?

Haha no just a stupid joke for my friends and family. Thanks for the reply.

Time for me to start another Chiang Mai vs Bangkok list... argh.

You have been to Chiang Mai for 10 days and liked it. Where's the problem? Many people dont have transport here other than walk, cycle, take tuk-tuk or songthaew. Easy.

If you cant make up your mind between CM and BKK may be you are not ready yet to leave Canada??

• Like 1

Before you try the big roads of Chiang Mai... I would suggest you have a little more training.... Book a flight to Pattaya and rent a car there and test the roads out there... And don't let any Katoeys get hold of the car keys...

Stop worrying and start trying. As long as you don't immediately start racing at 100km/hr around the ring roads you will be fine. IMO the the worst that will happen if you start off in or around the old city is falling off/getting knocked off at low speed and grazing a knee.

The speedometer said zero. Did you have to pay extra for that feature?wai2.gif

You have been to Chiang Mai for 10 days and liked it. Where's the problem? Many people dont have transport here other than walk, cycle, take tuk-tuk or songthaew. Easy.

If you cant make up your mind between CM and BKK may be you are not ready yet to leave Canada??

I second Beau's first paragraph.

So join the rest of "The World's Worst Riders".

In fact, you seemed to do okay,a bit of a "nervous Nelly", what did the Cops say or do, did they stop you?

Chiang Mai is a great place to live. Much better than BKK. Silly question but how do you intend to support yourself?

As far as your driving ability, you are most likely far ahead of the average Thai driver here. The vast majority drive with the driving skill and driving judgement of 14-year olds. As far as a motorbike, you should break your leg or file off some skin right now and get a head-start. I do wish I could get a 100baht for every farang I see here limping around with a bunch of white gauze on their legs and arms. At least with a car you have some steel around you.

Many farangs here do not own a car or motorbike. I'm one of them. I'm near the center of town and walk to most of the places I need to go. Those times that I need to go to more distant places in the city I can take a seong-theow or tuk-tuk. That's still far less expensive than car with insurance, gas, maintenance, and risk. Even if when I need to get to the Airport or the Arcade Bus Station, it's less than three US$. I have found it much less expensive and much less stressful to not have a car with all the expenses involved.

• Like 2

A guy was having a driving lesson and when he came to a red light he drove straight through. The instructor asked him why he went straight through a red light, and the guy replied that his brother always went through red lights. When they came to a green light the learner driver stopped. When the instructor asked him why he stopped for a green light, the driver said 'because my brother may be coming the other way!'.

I'm sure you've all heard of the expression 'many a true word spoken in jest', well this is a good example of that. In Thailand at least 3 or 4 cars go through red, so driving straight through a green light can be dangerous. Similarly, stopping at a red light can be dangerous if the guy behind is expecting you to go through. Stopping for an amber light is inviting trouble. So what's the moral? ...... Being a good driver in Thailand can be dangerous.

In order to avoid accidents, i'm sorry to say that not only would I go through a red light if it had only just changed, but I have occasionally been almost caught out by a daft farang that stopped for a red light. I once managed to just about stop in time to avoid an idiot that stopped for amber! I'm also very dubious about stopping at pedestrian crossings. If I stop it will lure the pedestrian into a false sense of security and he may not be prepared for the motorcyclist that would most likely swerve past my car to avoid stopping. Generally speaking, motorcyclists start the bike when they get on it, and only stop when they've arrived at their destination, unless it's totally unavoidable.

When in Rome, and all that.....

Edited by Chiengmaijoe
  • Like 1

While I have decades of driving experience in the US, while driving in Thailand I view myself as an inexperienced rookie. As a result, I drive slow and easy, and unlike the US, have never been flipped off or yelled at (at least that I have noticed). It seems to me that the rest of the drivers just view me as a slow moving obstacle and they pass at the first opportunity.

Additionally, during my time here, I rode a motor scooter for the very first time. After many ever widening circles around the neighborhood, I felt confident enough to get out a bit.

The whole process is just one of learning and gaining experience. Like you, looking to the right first instead of the left is not intuitive, but we have the brain cells to adapt and overcome. If an old guy like me in his 60s can do it, I suspect that you can too.

Edited by SpokaneAl
  • Like 2

Just keep a pocket full of Bht 500 notes to hand out to the BIB with the new crack down on bad foriegn drivers! And don't go too slow or you will find out that the only vehicles that stop after hitting you from behind are the trucks. And that is too be sure you are dead!

When I moved here 4 years ago I was scared to drive for a long time. I thought it was too dangerous for me to ever drive here. But then we built a house and my wife insisted we get a motorcycle because we were always having to go get supplies for the builders. I gradually got used to driving but it was nerve-wracking. My wife would be on the back carrying stuff and coaching me. 6 months ago we bought a car, and I went thru the same process with my wife coaching me.

At this point I've been all over the North with both the motorcycle and the car, and it's OK.

It's just a learning curve. If these other people can drive, so can you. There are a lot of tips to consider like with the red lights, and many other things to look out for. Drive slowish and stay constantly alert. When you have a close call, examine the circumstances and learn from it.

Driving a motorbike around CM especially the old city and thereabouts adds a lot to the fun of living here.

• Like 1