Tourists injured after tour bus hits steel beam

Lite Beer

Judging from the force of the collision, it is believed that the driver was not aware of the steel beam.

Duh...ya think so ?......cant get much past Thailand's finest's highly tuned powers of deduction can you....they should all go and work for Scotland Yard who needs Sherlock Holmes when you have Lieutenant Somchai on the job...

One thing that is puzzling me is what in God's good name was that steel beams' purpose ? It looks as if someone has just made a steel girder gate for no apparent reason.

Somebody please enlighten me.

Usually you have something like this just before a low bridge to prevent the bridge getting hit.

And yes you usually see a sign saying maximum height allowed. Can any one see such a sign here ?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Accidents happen even in the most educated countries. I just can't see why this accident and/or others brings out the Thai basher squads. If Thailand and Thais are that bad then focus on something else that is as perfect as you are. I feel sad for the victims of the accidents and also for the miserable Thai bashers.

Judging from the force of the collision, it is believed that the driver was not aware of the steel beam.

Duh...ya think so ?......cant get much past Thailand's finest's highly tuned powers of deduction can you....they should all go and work for Scotland Yard who needs Sherlock Holmes when you have Lieutenant Somchai on the job...

One thing that is puzzling me is what in God's good name was that steel beams' purpose ? It looks as if someone has just made a steel girder gate for no apparent reason.

I'd say the steel beam was installed to prevent vehicles of a certain size and/or height (and thus weight) from using the bridge, which might compromise the structure. I also almost could bet there were traffic/warning signs installed at the bridge's foot that clearly said something to the effect of "no trucks, no buses", "no vehicles over xxx tons" and "no vehicles over xxx meters in height". But traffic signs... few Thai motorists know what they're trying to convey.

Has anybody else noticed that reporters always get the rank and name of the attending police officer right and I assume spell both correctly. He and his cohorts always rush to the scene. What follows after that is anybody's guess.

To trim the bus to be able to fit under the bridge a little further down.

Presumably however the idea of a safety device shouldn't be to decapitate passengers on a bus. Maybe there is a slightly less fatal way to convey a warning.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 2

The chauffeur, however, received no injuries as he was sitting on the bottom floor.shock1.gif---<deleted> ????

I assume they mean the "Driver" --and where else would he be rolleyes.gif

Perhaps they're trying to pin it on the upper deck pax being at fault? rolleyes.gif

If they had not been there, it would not have happened. So, it's their own fault. Maybe they should compensate the tour company, the owners of the steel beam, and the driver who will need ptsd counselling.

I live in Soi Asoke and drive down Petchburi to turn right under that bridge probably 3 times a week.

I must confess the steel beam preventing larger vehicles from using the Flyover never really registered with me, however looking at these pictures it frankly stuns me!

Why a height restriction when surely a weight restriction would be more appropriate?

This is not a "warning sign" that there is a limit on the Bridge - as someone has already pointed out it's a virtual Tank Trap. The dam#n thing is deliberately anchored and braced at 45 degree angles at several points with huge "I" or "H" beams.

I can understand an pro-active system in a building, Condo etc. but at most these would involve some sort of non-destructive warning system - a lightweight pole suspended at the maximum height allowed within the car park for example.

This set-up is, in my mind, almost criminal.

Patrick

• Like 2

This is not a "warning sign" that there is a limit on the Bridge - as someone has already pointed out it's a virtual Tank Trap. The dam#n thing is deliberately anchored and braced at 45 degree angles at several points with huge "I" or "H" beams.

I can understand an pro-active system in a building, Condo etc. but at most these would involve some sort of non-destructive warning system - a lightweight pole suspended at the maximum height allowed within the car park for example.

This set-up is, in my mind, almost criminal.

Patrick

A lightweight warning pole would not work. There is nothing to warn about. It is not a covered bridge, tunnel or parking structure. The lightweight pole would just get bashed to death and eventually broken off by the truck drivers who don't give a $#!t and choose to ignore the warning thunk, continuing on their way under the higher gantry (which it would have to be in order to suspend the pole at the correct height).

As far as being a tank trap, it has to be this strong. As other posters have mentioned, and I have noticed myself, this barrier has taken lots of hits already. The truck drivers are too stupid or don't care.

Could you imagine the carnage if a couple of cement trucks stuck in afternoon traffic caused the flyover to collapse on the Asoke junction? Now that would be criminal.

• Like 1

Usually you have something like this just before a low bridge to prevent the bridge getting hit.

It could have been constructed a couple of mtrs taller with some bells or suchlike suspended from it!

Bino is correct about the warning poles or signs not working here, the area where i used to live was right next to the eastern ring road and there are various underpasses from the frontage road to get to the other side,

I lost count how many times i found them blocked by high pickups which seemed to be jammed solid with the body almost at ground level, there was a striped pole which would have bounced off the roof before they got that far.

There is NO safe way to travel in Thailand now !

Yes, thanks goodness there are no accidents anywhere else in the world, just in Thailand. Which world do you come from then? If you have nothing to add, then don't.

Were there any height retriction warning signs at the required distance before the beam/tin opener thing ? This could be a ministry of highways balls-up.

What's the "required distance"?

What the bus hit was the height restriction sign.

Ministry of highways?

Texting at the time of the crash? I mean, how else could you miss the huge white & red candy striped beam of steel going over the road in front of him?

How do you manage to get texting into this report?

Judging by the photo it's only a single deck coach anyway.

I realise the the driver sits lower down but to call it a double decker is misleading.

Glad there were no fatalities at least.

It was a double decker coach without any doubt. I was there.

You may have been there, but that is most definitely NOT a "Double-Deck-Bus", my friend ! !

A "Double-Deck Bus" typically has 1 level of seating-accommodation just about 4 Ft off the ground (between the wheels) as well as an elevated level with its own floor of seating-accommodation. There's a small staircase connecting the 2 'layers'. On the exterior, it is also very easy to distinguish, since there will be 2 rows of windows, instead of the 1 row of windows, as evidenced in the picture.

coffee1.gif

Is the seating arrangement of any importance at all?

Has anybody else noticed that reporters always get the rank and name of the attending police officer right and I assume spell both correctly. He and his cohorts always rush to the scene. What follows after that is anybody's guess.

No.

I guess the subtle red and white paint on the beam offered no clues to the driver.biggrin.png

This is why they have set up a task force to target foreigners using the roads in Chiangmai. They are causing the majority of collision in Thailand.whistling.gif

The chauffeur, however, received no injuries as he was sitting on the bottom floor.shock1.gif---<deleted> ????

" -and where else would he be"

Maybe sitting in the toilet drinking Lao Khao

- with his 10 year old nephew at the helm.

After thee incident...anywhere and still running!

Did this happen at night-time?

I thought about walking from Bkk to Chiang Mai, but was worried my athlete's foot fungi would flare up, or would get a rusty nail in my sole, or.... even if I walked on the right side of the road, in order to see traffic coming my direction, there could be the ubiquitous Thai driving on the wrong side - who might hit me in the back. I miss my porters. Four bronzed men carrying me on a pedestal, sweating like Adonis quadrupled. Porting rivers on pole driven rafts - ahhh, the good ol' days.