£10,000 / $16,000 how long personally...

ryro88

4 Years I reckon

2000 baht apartment x 48 months = (96'000 baht)

2 cups of 20 baht mama noodles x 1456 days = (58'240 baht)

1 bottle of 40 baht Lao Kao wine x 1456 days = (58'240 baht)

8 double entry visa runs at 9000 baht = (72'000 baht)

8 border runs at 2500 baht = (20'000 baht)

8 x sandals at 300 baht = 2400 baht

48 Beer chang singlet shirts = 7200 baht

Total 313'600 baht = $10'000

change $6000

You'll do fine biggrin.png

Naah the $6k is for the big buddah medallion, 2 baht gold chain and 48 pairs of fishermans pants to go along with the chang singlets, of course you forgot to account for the motocy

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm seeing things like...5 months, 5 weeks?? I would presume to say most of these types are SERIOUS alcoholics and sex addicts and spend spend spend. For me, I live on about $12,000 a year, so we are talking about a little less than a year and a half. for those of you who can only make it 5 weeks or even 5 months for that matter, you better have a good look in the mirror at your excesses

I would presume to say most of these types are SERIOUS alcoholics and sex addicts and spend spend spend. For me, I live on about $12,000 a year, so we are talking about a little less than a year and a half. for those of you who can only make it 5 weeks or even 5 months for that matter, you better have a good look in the mirror at your excesses

I presume to say you presume too much...

I presume to say that you must either be a bones of their arse "English teacher" or a retired gertiatric cheap charlie, whose pension has gone down the toilet with the exchange rates.

The point being how somebody spends of their own money has got FA to do with you.

• Like 2

an average western living standard doesn't come cheap in Thailand.

So many people in Thailand who want to live exactly as they did at home (and apparently Thailand is so much more expensive to live like this) so why live in Thailand at all?

Climate.. No income tax..

• Like 1

I'm seeing things like...5 months, 5 weeks?? I would presume to say most of these types are SERIOUS alcoholics and sex addicts and spend spend spend. For me, I live on about $12,000 a year, so we are talking about a little less than a year and a half. for those of you who can only make it 5 weeks or even 5 months for that matter, you better have a good look in the mirror at your excesses

Why.. As long as your making more than you spend, does it matter..

German car.. French wines.. A mistress or two.. Nice home(s).. Monthly jaunts away.. Eating out..

Its the good stuff of life.. What are you supposed to do, just keep putting it with the rest in the corner ??

Rent a good pad in the middle of Bangkok and on the bts - 25,000

Groceries etc - 4,000

Restaurants/Cafes etc - 10,000

Movies etc - 4,000

Lets call it 45,000 a month without going out drinking or travelling etc. would let you live in Bangkok for about 11 months. You could do it a lot cheaper than that of course but just depends on your lifestyle. 500,000 baht could last you 3 years if you are the frugal type.

A year sounds right (for me!).

Is about Baht 40k/mth.

Studio apt: 10000 Baht (near mrt/bts - w gym/pool)

Utilities/Inet/mobile: 2000 Baht

Transport: 3000 Baht (no home leaves - but trips to beach Incl.)

Health insurance/vitamins/OTC meds/dental: 2000 Baht

Groceries: 5000 Baht (Incl. foreign luxuries)

Above basic costs adds up to 23k/mth

Other: sports, sports gear, PC/phone repairs/upgrades, clothes all vary from month to month but let's say 5k to cover all and leave some buffer.

Remaining 12k is for entertainment, eating out, gifts and so forth. Heck - maybe even some savings!

Cheers!

5000 baht for groceries your having a laugh.. Double that food bill and add a few more thousand baht.. 175 baht for food per day is living like a homeless person..

You are right!

I spend 15,000 baht a month for food for myself, although I never eat street food, so it could be cheaper of course.

Spending 5,000 per month on food & drink, means eating rice & something 3 times a day, and maybe some fruit or snack.

Food is one of the great joys of life, no sense giving up on that just because we are in Thailand!

Well, 15k on food seems insane. I mean, fair enough, if you are getting the stuff you want, fine. But I wouldn't tell someone that is a normal budget. I get great fresh fish, meat and vegetables from the market and we get the best rice in the country...bags of it. Of course, I eat "rice and something" for most meals, but they are good meals, unless you don't like Thai food or can't eat spicy food.

Sticky rice (30 baht's worth--about the size of a red brick) plus somtam (30) plus pork ribs (very nice ones--40 or 60, depending on how many I want), assorted vegetables (20 baht for a bunch of them), massaman curry (35 baht), and a few pork sticks/nem as I am shopping (can't resist--15 baht or so).

That is a typical meal I would buy and it will feed from 4-6 people, more or less. There will be leftovers. Take out my cheeky snacks as I shop and you are down closer to 170. So, at 190 a night (which I don't spend every night....only if other people are over) we eat really fresh, great food. I could switch this up in a thousand different ways and still have excellent meals.

I also go out for falang food sometimes, but I usually it Thai food because it is delicious and cheap. Of course, I know all these prices are higher in BKK and Patts, etc., so it does matter where you live.

Lol.... Some of you guys are unreal. Now I am retired, married again, own my house and car, 50k baht per month is very comfortable.

When I was single in CM, owned condo and car and mbike, earning 3m baht per annum, 80k baht expenditure per month was extraordinary, and I lived like a king, and rarely had an empty bed, and often flew down to BKK + hotels.

So take your pick. 10k GBP lasts me a year now, but before only 6 months.

• Like 1

Interesting figure. That is just about our expenses for a year as a settled couple.

For that we get a 2bed house with shared pool. Motor cycle hire and good home cooking.

Not a lot of entertainment or travel.

So if you are content with a quiet life you can slide by. If you need a car and some night life you need a lot more.

When we arrived in Pattaya £300/month seemed like a good budget amount but reality soon sorted us out as many food items are similar in prices to the UK .Shop with care to keep costs under control. Since arriving in March 2012 we have noticed substantial food price increases. Thankfully the GBP is picking up again and that is a big help.

I would presume to say most of these types are SERIOUS alcoholics and sex addicts and spend spend spend. For me, I live on about $12,000 a year, so we are talking about a little less than a year and a half. for those of you who can only make it 5 weeks or even 5 months for that matter, you better have a good look in the mirror at your excesses

I presume to say that you must either be a bones of their arse "English teacher" or a retired gertiatric cheap charlie, whose pension has gone down the toilet with the exchange rates.

The point being how somebody spends of their own money has got FA to do with you.

If your personal finances have "FA" to do with others, why have you discussed them so often on this thread?

Methinks you might be inhabiting a rather cozy little fantasy world. Nothing better than forum anonymity, is there!!!

• Like 1

If your personal finances have "FA" to do with others, why have you discussed them so often on this thread?

Methinks you might be inhabiting a rather cozy little fantasy world. Nothing better than forum anonymity, is there!!!

I think you must have been through his posting history biggrin.png

$16k would probably last me around the year mark in Thailand if I am not on a hype. I am not a materialistic kind of guy and most of my hobbies are inexpensive such as reading, video gaming. I suppose I do have some more expensive habbits such as day excursions and boozy bar nights. Not really that into having a completely dependent on myself woman, a woman who was some income I do not mind to top up a bit of money each month. I also like Thai food, which obviously is a lot cheaper than eating in western restaurants all the time. Just so happens I can have a pretty good lifestyle in LoS at great value.

This is roughly the annual salary of a teacher (One of most popular jobs in Thailand) so I would say you can live quite comfortably for 1 year.

Obviously if you lived the high life you would get through it quicker.

Remember its a lot more than most Thais make.

Teachers in high end uni's make this kind of money in Thailand, the vast majority of teachers make 12-25k baht a month.

No English classes you can teach today ?

$ 16k....2 months or there abouts to answer your question

You must be leading quite an expensive up scale life. $16K for 2 months means about 240K to 250K Baht per month!

not at all...I live what I consider a normal life style no different from anywhere else I have lived or worked

I agree about 2 to 3 months and thats not extravagant. Kids in international school, mortgage on a nice house in a safe compound, new car, only go out about once a week and thats just beers with buddies, so 500 - 750 once a week for that. Maybe out for dinner with the family once a week, so 1,500 there.

If your living here trying to be on a budget I am sure many people can stretch it farther, if you are raising a family and want to own a nice house, be sure they goto the best schools and use the best hospitals, life is going to cost you the same as back home (where ever your home may be).

Just curious then why pick Thailand? If you moved here to live like you did in the West why not Australia, Hawaii, Caribbean, Canada, USA, Spain, Portugal....I can think of hundreds of places that have better schools (yes you may have the most expensive IS in all of Thailand still does not compare to a government school anywhere in the west), medical programs, better housing with no need for added security (unless SA), better customs and culture.....other then being able to acquire a much younger partner, why spend the same amount here as in a comfortable Western country?

Just curious? Honest? I moved here because I was offered a fun job. Met my wife and decided to stay. Enjoy it here because the cost of living is better, we have our own house (paid for), a small farm, a couple of vehicles (paid for), and send our kids to a local government school and home school them as well. We could spend less then 20,000 baht a month having a good time...as I said earlier we go camping, fishing, boogie boarding, mountain biking, kayaking, visit national parks, on a weekly basis. My budget includes tax, insurance, health care, but not retirement savings.

500,000 baht could last you 3 years if you are the frugal type.

No,no, for that you must be the inventor of living frugal.

I agree jbrain, I simply cannot get my head around what sort of frugal life it would be with only Bt3200 per week to live on.......

I wonder were the money for visa's and health care comes from as surely it would not fit into this budget.

Just curious then why pick Thailand? If you moved here to live like you did in the West why not Australia, Hawaii, Caribbean, Canada, USA, Spain, Portugal....

for me personally, I was offered +/- 25% more money than the preveiling rate in the western countries coupled with with a more "favorable" tax structure. Thailand for me was never on my radar for me as regards a "career path"

I was offered the job, expecting it to last around 3 years or so, thought why not, give it a go and nearly 13 years later still here, so must be doing something right, they have kept paying me the money with increases every year, the favourable tax structure has allowed me to put quite considerable amounts of money in my piggy bank, which would normally go to some money grubbing western goverment and for the most part I enjoy the job, I work with some very smart Thai nationals who are a pleasure to work with, more so than the average whinging foreigners I have come across over the years working in other places in similar postions

So as a "package" Thailand works for me at the moment, but once the job finishes or something more interesting comes up, then will reassess my want or need to live in Thailand, but from a retirement perspective, at present once that comes up I have already made the decision I want to go home

• Like 1

Its seems I have a stalker on TV if you taken the time to read all my posts one similar topics over the years...w00t.gif , I am sure you are a nice person, but pretty sure your not my type..wink.png

But in response to yours comments, yes I have made comments on these sorts of threads on many occassions, but if you have read all these posts, you will note, I have never felt inclined to publish a detailed list of my monthly budget as some people feel they need to, I have no need to justifiy to anyone what I am spending on a monthly basis, in essence, this has FA to do with anyone else...its my money and I will spend it or save it as I see fit.

However, I do feel I do need to comment when posters publish their detailed monthly budget and justify how they can live on on THB 30,000/m, THB 50,000/m etc and then go on to infer anyone who spending more than XXXX amount must be an SERIOUS alcoholics/whoremongers or just generally wasting money.

As regards living in cozy fantasy world...believe what ever you want, I really couldnt care less what you "methinks"

Its seems I have a stalker on TV if you taken the time to read all my posts one similar topics over the years...w00t.gif , I am sure you are a nice person, but pretty sure your not my type..wink.png

But in response to yours comments, yes I have made comments on these sorts of threads on many occassions, but if you have read all these posts, you will note, I have never felt inclined to publish a detailed list of my monthly budget as some people feel they need to, I have no need to justifiy to anyone what I am spending on a monthly basis, in essence, this has FA to do with anyone else...its my money and I will spend it or save it as I see fit.

However, I do feel I do need to comment when posters publish their detailed monthly budget and justify how they can live on on THB 30,000/m, THB 50,000/m etc and then go on to infer anyone who spending more than XXXX amount must be an SERIOUS alcoholics/whoremongers or just generally wasting money.

As regards living in cozy fantasy world...believe what ever you want, I really couldnt care less what you "methinks"

alcoholic / whoremonger / student at an international school.

Same same.

SC

10k would last me about a day - I'd be straight around Honda getting a new car with it smile.png

10k is the deposit....... how would you finance the repayments ?

10,000 quid - not baht - 10k GBP covers most pick ups outright.

10k would last me about a day - I'd be straight around Honda getting a new car with it smile.png

That's what they tell you on the first night, but that's before you've met the parents and the bairns and the buffalo
  • Like 1

This is roughly the annual salary of a teacher (One of most popular jobs in Thailand) so I would say you can

Teachers in high end uni's make this kind of money in Thailand, the vast majority of teachers make 12-25k baht a month.

Don't think there's any farang teachers here on 12k per month. I know a fair few and the lowest paid is 25k. Few on 40-50k teaching at international / private schools.

Most do a few tutoring sessions in the evening or a Saturday morning to bump the wage up a bit. Some can clear 60k with that.Just curious then why pick Thailand? If you moved here to live like you did in the West why not Australia, Hawaii, Caribbean, Canada, USA, Spain, Portugal....I can think of hundreds of places that have better schools (yes you may have the most expensive IS in all of Thailand still does not compare to a government school anywhere in the west), medical programs, better housing with no need for added security (unless SA), better customs and culture.....other then being able to acquire a much younger partner, why spend the same amount here as in a comfortable Western country?.

Something I don't understand either.

So many people on here want the exact same lifestyle they had in the West with all the Western food and comforts thrown in.

Yet apparently it's MORE expensive in Thailand to have that lifestyle than it is in the West.

So if their life was so good back in the West that they can't possibly live without it here AND it's cheaper back in their good old home country....why are they here?

Why not go back to where things were so fantastic and much cheaper?

That would be entry level basic model pickup but you said Honda...so what Honda are you buying for that money ?

Edited by Spoonman

That would be entry level basic model pickup but you said Honda...so what Honda are you buying for that money ?

Yeah said "Honda", was thinking "Toyota" - many lower spec Vigos at dealers (or in shopping mall stands) from the 450k mark. I was being a little tongue in cheek from the start though.

However, Honda (non pickup): Brio S MT / S AT / V MT / V AT (just about with small haggle - just 30 quid over 10k list price in Thailand - dealer price!)

This is roughly the annual salary of a teacher (One of most popular jobs in Thailand) so I would say you can

Don't think there's any farang teachers here on 12k per month. I know a fair few and the lowest paid is 25k. Few on 40-50k teaching at international / private schools.

Most do a few tutoring sessions in the evening or a Saturday morning to bump the wage up a bit. Some can clear 60k with that.Just curious then why pick Thailand? If you moved here to live like you did in the West why not Australia, Hawaii, Caribbean, Canada, USA, Spain, Portugal....I can think of hundreds of places that have better schools (yes you may have the most expensive IS in all of Thailand still does not compare to a government school anywhere in the west), medical programs, better housing with no need for added security (unless SA), better customs and culture.....other then being able to acquire a much younger partner, why spend the same amount here as in a comfortable Western country?.

Something I don't understand either.

So many people on here want the exact same lifestyle they had in the West with all the Western food and comforts thrown in.

Yet apparently it's MORE expensive in Thailand to have that lifestyle than it is in the West.

So if their life was so good back in the West that they can't possibly live without it here AND it's cheaper back in their good old home country....why are they here?

Why not go back to where things were so fantastic and much cheaper?

Maybe they get paid more here. Maybe their wife wants to live five thousand miles away from her family. Maybe they are on the run from the law. Maybe Tony Archer will be video ref for the World Cup Final in November. It's pointless to speculate

SC

Some can clear 60k with that. Just curious then why pick Thailand?

Maybe they get paid more here. Maybe their wife wants to live five thousand miles away from her family. Maybe they are on the run from the law. Maybe Tony Archer will be video ref for the World Cup Final in November. It's pointless to speculate

SC

Agreed. Best not to speculate. Best to keep your mouth shut.

Here is an old photo of me. But please ...... let's keep this quiet.

dh_lucan_20120225130916752952-420x0.jpg

Edited by Mr Average
  • Like 1