Will Chiang Mai get its Monorail? Project Moves Forward

khwaibah

Will Chiang Mai get its Monorail? Project Moves Forward Oct 9, 2013

Others

CityNews – The proposed monorail for Chiang Mai which CityNews reported in July this year has now been backed by the Pinkanakorn Development Agency, it was reported in the Bangkok Post today

1381329517.jpg

Sarawut Srisakun, the director of the agency was reported as saying that Chiang Mai has not just grown in popularity with international tourists but that the city is fast becoming a hub for international meetings such as the 2nd Asia – Pacific Water Summit at Chiang Mai International Convention and Exhibition Center in May this year.

He expressed that he was concerned about Chiang Mai’s transport system in view of the city being a dynamic and growing destination.

The proposed monorail may help improve a transport that vastly needs improving. If plans should come to fruition then the 7 billion baht monorail will stretch around Chiang Mai for approximately 27 kilometres, taking passengers all the way from the city centre to the Irrigation Canal Road.

The proposal must first be viewed by an executive committee and then it can be sent to the government for approval.

The Pinkanakorn Development Agency (Public Company) was established in February 2013. Under the supervision of the Prime Minister the agency aims to promote tourism in Chiang Mai city and the rest of the province, and to help improve the quality of life of the people in these areas.

CityNews

Edited by sbk
No links to Bangkok Post allowed
  • Like 1

A post in violation of this forum rule has been removed:

31) Bangkok Post do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post publications will be deleted from the forum. Please note that this is a decision by the Bangkok Post, not by Thaivisa.com and any complaints or other issues concerning this rule should be directed to them. Quotes from and links to Phuketwan are also not allowed and will also be removed. In special cases forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources.

It will ruin the aesthetics of the moat if it is ringed by a monorail.

I hope they include escalators in their plan.

I wish they'd fill the moat in. I get bored of having to make multiple u-turns every time I go from one place to another in town.

What and who , exactly, are the Pinkanakorn Development Agency. How does such an obscure organisation get to decide on the development of Chiang Mai.

I believe they started in the Night Safari , it might have been a good idea if they stayed there, it seems, as the Night Safari certainly isn't a gleaming example of capability.

• Like 1

It will ruin the aesthetics of the moat if it is ringed by a monorail.

I hope they include escalators in their plan.

We would hope so.

i

However in Bangkok a few weeks ago I still had to carry my bags up the stairs at the BTS stops as there are many station still without escalators and that's after more than 12 years.

To get in a carriage was like a rugby scrum ,still have the same number of cars they had when it started and prices have recently gone up yet again.

Monorail is probably the way to go but they are an eyesore.Underground is where it should be but would be far to expensive for CM. As an aside the traffic at lunchtime from Airport Plaza to the RAM hospital intersection was grid locked and the whole city is suffering from traffic congestion. Any one notice the number of Bangkok number plates? seems a huge influx of either people or cars.

• Like 1

What and who , exactly, are the Pinkanakorn Development Agency. How does such an obscure organisation get to decide on the development of Chiang Mai.

I believe they started in the Night Safari , it might have been a good idea if they stayed there, it seems, as the Night Safari certainly isn't a gleaming example of capability.

I have never heard of them, but Pingnakorn would seem a more likely spelling... City by the Ping,

Sydney has now just gotten rid of its monorail, which was a good way to travel for tourists, but also an eyesore.

Isn't there already a monorail in CM zoo??

Yes there is

One of the questions they seem to be skipping is where will people from out of town park. Seems to me the original plan didn't call for a monorail it was supposed to be trollies or rail lines. Some thing on the street level.

I could be wrong on that. But all the examples they showed did not include a monorail.

No it isn't Sally - it's just that they cant't transliterate correctly.

The Thai reads:

พิงคนคร

Which transliterates

Pingnakorn

As I had suggested. "City by the Ping". "Ping City"

laugh.png Hadn't bothered to read the Thai! Oh dear doesn't bode well for their mega projects if they can't get the name right. How come even the Bangkok Post gets it wrong !

• Like 1

The Thai reads:

พิงคนคร

Which transliterates

Pingnakorn

laugh.png Hadn't bothered to read the Thai! Oh dear doesn't bode well for their mega projects if they can't get the name right. How come even the Bangkok Post gets it wrong !

No, Sally, I'm wrong and I apologise. It must be the late hour (for me), but I misread "Ping" in Thai and I was wrong!

The Thai reads:

พิงคนคร

Which transliterates

Pingnakorn

No, Sally, I'm wrong and I apologise. It must be the late hour (for me), but I misread "Ping" in Thai and I was wrong!

Now I am becoming boring and I apologise. But it seems I was right even though I didn't know it... แม่น้ำพิงค is an alternative version for แม่น้ำปิง, both meaning "River Ping". Anyone know which (if either) is correct? In any case, they cannot transliterate, as both versions = Maenam Ping.

Edited by dru2

Sydney has now just gotten rid of its monorail, which was a good way to travel for tourists, but also an eyesore.

Isn't there already a monorail in CM zoo??

Proposed mass transit system is not a monorail.

Do a search on the forum, it's been discussed in deep detail.

A monorail?

Like in Shanghai?

No, as in Tianjin. And France. And Italy.

2392824909_9db3b05a64.jpg

It's a mistranslation; yes it uses a single rail, but used as a guide-rail at ground level. It's a electric vehicle that runs on tyred wheels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Translohr

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

I can`t see how a monorail in Chiang Mai could serve any useful purpose.

I doubt that many commuters who travel to and from the outer villages would ever use it and most already have the convenience of their own transport, especially motorbikes..

The money would be better off spent on building by-passes that would improve the traffic flow, such as by passing the bottleneck high streets.

I recently bought a German produced map of Chiang Mai. It obviously knew something I'd not heard of, as it clearly showed all the stations for the monorail.

Just 2 stops from Kad Suan Keow to Warawot market.

I recently bought a German produced map of Chiang Mai. It obviously knew something I'd not heard of, as it clearly showed all the stations for the monorail.

People do have legs you know. One stop at Chang Puak, second stop near Thapae gate? Sounds reasonable, assuming folk can take their motorbikes on the trams laugh.png.pagespeed.ce.SDkxrRteka.png

• Like 1

People do have legs you know. One stop at Chang Puak, second stop near Thapae gate? Sounds reasonable, assuming folk can take their motorbikes on the trams laugh.png.pagespeed.ce.SDkxrRteka.png

Now all they need is some where to walk short of in the street where the tram will run them down.tongue.png

Will Promenada still be open by the time the tramline is built?

Probably. Though the existing route map (which dates back the previous grand mass transit plan that involved regular buses in dedicated bus lanes) doesn't include a stop at Promenada. Nor does it include stops for the big schools in the Aom muang area, Montfort and Varee, both major contributors to rush hour traffic.

Chiang Mai is growing faster than politicians and map-drawing consultants can keep up with. wink.png

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1